PDA

View Full Version : Possible sound related issue causing system freeze?

datter
March 1st, 2009, 10:29
So far I've found two aircraft that freeze my system. The otherwise excellent looking Connie that was making the rounds here recently, and a freeware Concorde that I tried just the other night. With both aircraft I find shortly after getting on the runway my sound goes out, or otherwise does something odd (pitch changes and the like) followed by a complete system freeze moments later. This is on an otherwise very stable system that has no trouble with FSX at all, or any other aircraft including some pretty hefty ones.

I get in either of these AC and almost immediately get some weird sound issue for just a moment followed by a complete lack of sound then system freeze.

Any guesses as to what might be causing this? I would dearly love to be flying that Connie.

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 10:36
Onboard sound????

Go into the sound panel and turn down the quality a tad and go see if that helped any....

datter
March 1st, 2009, 10:41
Not onboard, Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme if that makes any difference. I'm not certain it's sound related, but it seems so since I lose audio moments before the freeze with these two aircraft.

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 10:48
Ahhh... Good old Creative drivers...

Try this....Just remove and save the planes sound files and see what it does..If thats a fix then its in the sound file itself and for what ever reason does not like something...

Then we'll see how to fix??? If we can

datter
March 1st, 2009, 10:55
So try those two aircraft minus their respective sound files you mean? I won't get a chance to do this until this evening sometime regardless though. My kids are monopolizing my computer these days. :)

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 10:58
Yes...Just cut and paste the entire sound folder onto your desktop...Just don't mix them up....

One at a time will ensure that won't happen...LOL

They just fly a circuit without sound.....See what happens on final...

When tested cut and paste the whole folder back into the main planes folder...

Better run those kids off that machine....LOL

IanHenry
March 1st, 2009, 10:59
Hi,
look at this post on the A2A forum, I think it might help you.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=13427

Ian

datter
March 1st, 2009, 11:05
ok, will try removing the sound folders from those AC (one at a time!) later ... or sooner if I can run these dirty boys off somehow. :)

Not sure about that thread above, I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio and they are referring to Titanium and Audigy cards. Will look into it more and thanks for the link regardless.

JT8D-9A
March 1st, 2009, 11:30
You can also try to only disable the sound gauge in the Panel.cfg (dsd_xml_sound3).
There are a few gauges (especially older versions of them) which are causing CTDs.
Sometimes the CTDs are only occurring in a special situation - e.g. if you load an aircraft with such a gauge directly after another aircraft which also uses a problematic gauge.
Maybe another add-on has overwritten the sound gauge with an older version.

BTW, X-fi is not really good. Sell it if you have a HD onboard sound. Realtek releases every month new drivers while the Creative support is a bad joke and their software is bloated...

datter
March 1st, 2009, 11:52
hmm that's interesting I've never given a second thought to using onboard audio for some reason.

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 13:15
My Gigabyte X48 onboard sound is great...Never a problem...

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 13:18
Here's the deal with sound cards.... Many use their own processor, leaving the computers CPU alone for sound..That was very desirable back when processors were slack, and simmers needed all the CPU they could get..

Answer was Sound Card....But yes..Creative drivers can and do cause problems from time to time...

Lewis-A2A
March 1st, 2009, 13:30
Try looking at the thread on our forum as already posted.

The X-Fi cards have had a rocky career re: drivers and conflicts with software thats on a list long enough to wrap around Earth. Creative and others have released multiple updates and 'fixes' to help deal with the problems.

Unfortunately it is a case of having to find the fix that applies to you, a pain in the arse really but its just the way of things, the x-fi was at release some very new technology in the audio arena so I suppose some things were bound to go FUBAR.

kilo delta
March 1st, 2009, 14:49
I was very happy with my Creative Xfi cards whilst running XP. Unfortunately things went awry under Vista so I decided to stick with the (extremely competent) onboard sound for my Vista builds.

Lionheart
March 1st, 2009, 17:55
If you are missing DXD files (I think thats what they are called) which speak with FSUIPC, then you will get crashes...

These will come with certain plane packages for custom sounds.. My earliest Bellanca did and crashed many peoples systems when first released. Found out what it was and fixed it. Oddly though it didnt crash anyones computers that tested it..

Bill

datter
March 2nd, 2009, 09:56
I forgot to update this. On looking around the ol' innerwebs a bit I found I didn't have the absolute latest drivers for my Sound Blaster X-Fi Audio. I updated, rebooted and tried the Connie and presto... no freezing/crashing. Wonderful airplane btw. The other AC causing similar crashes was the Concorde, and it seems to work fine also although the engines don't seem to want to stay started for some reason. That's got nothing to do with the problem posted about here of course. :)

Thanks all.

datter
March 30th, 2009, 14:08
It seems my problem has returned. Tried flying the Connie last night and had the same system freeze. Shortly after take off my sound went away entirely and about 3 seconds later the machine just locked up. I really thought the X-Fi driver update did the trick but apparently not. Will try some of the ideas in the thread above, and if I find is it the sound card for sure (by pulling the /sound folder) I may end up going to onboard audio. My only worry with that is losing any (yes, even 1) FPS when the CPU itself is left to deal with sound as opposed to having a card do it.

dharris
March 30th, 2009, 14:23
I was having the same problem with an Audigy 2 card. Tried everything I could think of, hit all the forums, new drivers old drivers, nothing seemed to work. I had an onboard sound as well as the sound card, I removed the sound card and did not have the problem anymore. I had used the sound card for a few years with no problem, but I think at some time, I got some bad drivers and things just went from bad to worse. When I upgraded my motherboard, it has onboard sound and I have not had any problem since. I did not even try my Audigy 2. When the pc would lock up the sound would continue as a monotone until I had to reboot.

datter
March 30th, 2009, 15:28
I'm very tempted to pull it and try onboard, but I keep reading things about taking a performance hit on CPU intensive games with onboard audio. I get numbers of anywhere from 5% to 15% performance decrease from what people are saying. If it comes to that I think I'll just skip the Connie... which sucks, but I am a performance junkie since the overclock. :)

harleyman
March 30th, 2009, 15:33
Datter..in the old days you would get a hit on the CPU...Today with the better CPU's it might hit 1-2 % if that..You will never notice it thats for sure..

dharris
March 31st, 2009, 03:59
I agree, when I went to on board sound I noticed no difference in performance at all. The later on board sound chips are much more effiecent and don't dump everything on the cpu. Give it a try, it may just help.