PDA

View Full Version : area of detail scenery mod

tigisfat
March 1st, 2009, 07:45
Who remembers how to do it? I'm okay with load time increases as long as it doesn't destroy my FPS. I'm getting tired of my photoreal scenery not loading enough.

It should be a single line in the FSX.CFG that will take me way past what the slider offers.

Nick C
March 1st, 2009, 08:23
Are you thinking about the following entry?:

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

I have mine set to:

LOD_RADIUS=8.500000

That should increase the distance in which your scenery loads, but can cause your FPS to drop. You could also try 6.5.

Panther_99FS
March 1st, 2009, 08:25
You can increase your tree & building objects per cell to 6000 (terrain section)

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=6000
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=6000

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 08:27
It may be the LOD Radius...Default is 4.5

I have increased mine at times to 7.5

Try 5.5 and see...

BUT...Any change in the options menue will change it back to default SO

Go to your config...Send a copy to your desktop..Edit from there and save...

Then test... If you like it set it as a saved config in the options pags, then load flights from there after selecting (load) that config each time.....(make sure its your rewritten option) before you save it in the options page...

Dangerous Beans
March 1st, 2009, 09:49
Dous this only affect the terrain textures or will it help extend the distance that the autogen pops up ?

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 11:11
I assume just textures..

This is from a post by the well respected NickN from SimForums...

I do not endorse that tweak unless photoscenery is in use because you can make things worse than better depending on the location flown
do remember it will revert to the default of 4.5 if you enter the FSX settings and make any changes at which point you will need to manually reset it in the config
I do not use the tweak for LOD as my system displays textures far enough out and maintains LOD. If I use it on my system its to extend the autogen futher out and a value of 6-6.5 is the same as a tweaked FS9 for autogen radius. It will crunch perf in large urban areas

Dangerous Beans
March 1st, 2009, 11:53
If I use it on my system its to extend the autogen futher out

That sounds to me as if it will help, going to give it a try.
I dont have any problem with the textures but the autogen poping up can be a bit of an imersion killer for me.

tigisfat
March 1st, 2009, 13:03
that's the one I was looking for, thank you very much for the help and additional info, everyone!!:kiss:

and yes, I'm using photoreal scenery.

tigisfat
March 2nd, 2009, 15:36
hmmm.......I can't believe I can't find it....Can someone tell me where the FSX.CFG is?

MCDesigns
March 2nd, 2009, 15:51
hmmm.......I can't believe I can't find it....Can someone tell me where the FSX.CFG is?

By default, here in XP
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

tigisfat
March 2nd, 2009, 15:56
I wasn't clear, I'm in Vista. Do you know how to get there in Vista?

harleyman
March 2nd, 2009, 15:59
I think its the same path for Vista???

Am I wrong...Been a while for me and Vista.....

Here C:\users\(name)\Appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx

Rezabrya
March 2nd, 2009, 19:37
yep, harleyman is right. Just make sure you have hidden folders on or else it won't show.

d0mokun
March 2nd, 2009, 19:42
Alternatively, you can get to it by pressing the Windows key + R, and just typing 'appdata' . Then go to Roaming/Microsoft/FSX .

I don't think the folder has to be unhidden in order to do it that way. It never is unhidden for me and I use that method frequently.