PDA

View Full Version : question for developers

jeansy
February 28th, 2009, 15:13
hey guys

i think ive have done this before but im having difficult time remembering

if i was to extract a .mdl from a .bgl, what program would i need to get extract the mdl

PutPut
February 28th, 2009, 16:18
I use BGLXML 2.0, by Alessandro G. Antonini, available at most of the big sites. It gives you a .mdl and a placement XML. Please note I have not tried this program with Acceleration.

Paul

spotlope
February 28th, 2009, 17:25
You know what I'm about to say as a developer, don't you? It is your BGL you're extracting from, right? Otherwise, it's off limits unless you've been given permission to reverse engineer.

jeansy
February 28th, 2009, 18:17
bill, its all good,

the plan is, i want to use one of the objects in the file and convert it to AI (that part is easy)

spotlope
February 28th, 2009, 18:36
No prob, Matt. I just wanted to stick my two cents in. :focus:

PutPut
February 28th, 2009, 18:38
You know what I'm about to say as a developer, don't you? It is your BGL you're extracting from, right? Otherwise, it's off limits unless you've been given permission to reverse engineer.

I think opening a .bgl to its associated .mdl and XML file doesn't tread on any toes. After all, what are you going to do with the .mdl file? You can't open it to see the source code and what the developer did. You can't edit it etc. Programs such as bglxml have been around for years and I have never seen any complaints about their use. IMHO anyway. I don't do too many scenery object, a few battleships and carriers, and I always include the .mdl file and an XML file so they can be relocated. I consider it safe because the .mdl file is not the source code.

Paul