PDA

View Full Version : FS 2002 Scenery

Ghostrider
February 28th, 2009, 06:58
Is it possible to import FS 2002 Scenery into CFS 2, or just FS 2000?

Thanks,

GR

CrisGer
February 28th, 2009, 09:32
During my research i found out that CFS2 is basically FS2002, but with differnt content, enginewise. At least I think that is what i read...i may have it wrong and it maybe FS2000, but i did read that it was a parallel to one of the FS's. Others may know much more and will hopefully post as i am very interested in this too, i hope to help create some more complete cities like London and Berlin and Rome and Paris with more detail but it would be great to be able to work with some of the great things that have been made for FS2002 (with permission of authors of course) ...so i am very interested in this too. I found a wonderful older add on by John Russell for the UK that creates all the major railway stations for London, Derby, Sheffield and working trains in modern livery, it is for FS2000 but i have the structures working in FS2004 and so hope to move it back to 2002 and hopefully then with a skin change, if i can get ahold of John, to give us steam trains of 1940's that may even run, for ET0 ... i am studying how the file system works but it looks similar to CFS but i am not sure yet if it is possible to convert the .R8 and the
.0AV and .PAT texture files into .bmp

Ghostrider
February 28th, 2009, 09:54
Yeah, you can definitely use the FS 2000 scenery - found the instructions on MS's website, but FS 2002 looks so much better - I'd love to use it if possible!

GR

CrisGer
February 28th, 2009, 10:32
ok great, i have FS 2002 installed and some add ons collected, i will try putting them into CFS2 and see what happens :)

kaboom! :faint:well hopefully not :) we will see.

Ghostrider
February 28th, 2009, 13:26
Good backups is the name of the game! :ernae:

GR

bearcat241
February 28th, 2009, 13:35
The official name for FS2000 is FS7....CFS2 is FS7.5, so there you go on that compatibility question. But as for FS2002, its hit or miss. Some scenery ports over well (but without damage profiles to make it destructible) and other FS2002 scenery will cause CTD's. It seems to depend more on the design program used for construction. FS2002 items designed with older programs will generally work OK, but those designed with newer scenery tools may not.

voyager
February 28th, 2009, 16:00
You should remove any LWM and VTTP bgls from the scenery folder of the sceneries that you are trying out as they usually crash the game. Be prepared for a lot of "cannot find"s also.

voyager

Ghostrider
February 28th, 2009, 16:53
Thanks guys, I am thinking only of the world scenery at this point, not so much add-ons - in other words, can I bring the FS 2002 USA into CFS 2 for example?

Thanks,
GR

miamieagle
February 28th, 2009, 17:09
Read this webpage http://www.simviation.com/fs_compatibility.htm and you can also use FS2002 mesh here http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm

CrisGer
March 1st, 2009, 09:20
excellent, thanks for that ...i see it says:

"Scenery Files: It is generally better to stick with specific Scenery for specific simulators. Please see The Lair (http://www.simviation.com/lair/index.htm) for further Tips & Advice. (One exception is FS2000 Scenery did seem to work well in CFS2 :)"

that is very hopeful ;)

Ghostrider
March 2nd, 2009, 16:04
My AAR = yes, FS 2000 scenery works, 2002 does not. (Big, crazy stuff up in the sky) furthermore, I decided that the minimum amount of flying I'd do in CFS2 in other parts of the world than the south Pacific was not worth the hassle. I'll fly FSX if I want to take a spin around the rest of the world.

Thanks Guys,

GR

rhumbaflappy
March 3rd, 2009, 07:38
Read this webpage http://www.simviation.com/fs_compatibility.htm and you can also use FS2002 mesh here http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm

I find it hard to believe you would recommend that mesh after the discussions we've had in this forum about it.

It is a terrible excuse for mesh! It has huge spatial gaps caused by the developer's misunderstanding of mesh creation, and his inability to simply check his work in TMFViewer... the Aces tool given to us for just this purpose. Why simviation continues to make this available is beyond my understanding. And why it's author does not correct the problem is also a mystery... unless he has no clue how to do so.

There is a good LOD7 mesh for the entire world here at the outhouse downloads, and soon an LOD8 mesh with new watermasking for the WW2 war theatres.

Dick

safn1949
March 3rd, 2009, 08:33
As a matter of fact the LOD 7 mesh is outstanding.:friday:

miamieagle
March 3rd, 2009, 08:33
I Agree with you. I do like to give members different options dow. I should have recommend your scenery work as a better option.

Thank you for all you have done for us.

Here are Rhumbaflly mesh option http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=rhumbaflappy

Enjoy!:ernae::wiggle:

Fibber
March 3rd, 2009, 09:54
I installed Rhumbaflappys mesh and love it! Now here is something that I would like to do but need some guidance.
When I installed it in ALL my theaters (ETO, PTO, Korea), I did as the instuctions stated and went to the Scenery folder with the add-ons. I now realize that this a triplication of the space needed/utilized. Is it possible to now pull ALL of these add-ons to a single folder and add through the Scenerydb option WITHOUT crashing the game?

- Can I simply cut paste the secenry folder to a section out side the Theater and within the MSCFS2 folder, and rename the moved folder (LOD7) ?
- I assume the renamed folder will need scenery/ texture sub-folders within the LOD7 folder as in the scenery folder as it is now.
-Do I need to keep a scenery folder ( with blank sub-folder Scenery/texture ) in the theater folder?

bearcat241
March 3rd, 2009, 10:55
Make a new folder outside of ALL of your flight sim folders and name it "Mesh Terrain". Drop the LOD7 folder into it. The LOD7 folder only needs a scenery sub-folder for the bgls -- no texture folder is ever needed for installing stand alone mesh. Activate the mesh just like any other scenery, by navigating there from the CFS2 scenery library. Using this method, you now have a common area for all present and future addon mesh, each having a folder of its own to activate and deactivate with ease. And this common area can be shared among all of your flight sims that can use this type of product, like FS8/9/10, CFS1 and all of your theaters for CFS2.

Fibber
March 3rd, 2009, 11:15
Bear;
Thanks for the reply. My main concern right now is what about the files that I have already placed as per the oroginal instructions? Should I just delete the main Scenery folder of its contents and keep a empty one there as a place holder or just delete the WHOLE folder? :help:

Standby for liftoff! 5-4-3-2-1:rapture:

bearcat241
March 3rd, 2009, 11:22
Pardon, but i have to ask: where exactly did you put the LOD7 installation?

bearcat241
March 3rd, 2009, 11:34
If you installed the LOD7 folder into the scenedb folder, then make a copy of it, put the copy into the new location i suggested, then fire up the sim. Go to the library and deactivate the old LOD7 install. Hit OK, then go back in and delete the LOD7 altogether. Exit the sim, delete the old LOD7 folder, then reboot the sim and install the copy in its new location.

Fibber
March 3rd, 2009, 12:29
Sorry bear
I confused my LOD and DEM files too many afterneeon delights . :ernae:Sometimes I can't tell my Dees ,Does, and Dems!:faint: Will follow what you posted.

Flight is now departing;:rapture: