PDA

View Full Version : Intro Music

Tom Clayton
September 4th, 2020, 07:22
I've looked for wav and mp3 files in what I believe are the correct locations, but found nothing. Are the music files encoded in the core itself, or are they hidden somewhere else?

ak416
September 4th, 2020, 15:18
The music files are located in "Flight Simulator\Official\Steam\fs-base-soundbanks\SoundBanks\MUSIC.PC.PCK" or whatever the equivalent is for Xbox App users.

To unpack the .pck files, you can use this tool. I'm sure there are others, but I use this one: https://github.com/Vextil/Wwise-Unpacker

Be sure to read the instructions and follow them carefully.

:encouragement:

Tom Clayton
September 4th, 2020, 19:35
I have the MS Store version, but I'll look for similar filenames. Thanks! I'm hoping to be able to replace the stock files with stuff like Pink Floyd's "Learning To Fly" if the files can be opened with something like 7zip.

Edit: Found it, 7zip won't open it. I'm not going to worry about it too much. That tool looks more like it's just to extract. I don't think MS has any intention of letting me actually replace!

Bushpounder
September 5th, 2020, 02:45
I have the MS Store version, but I'll look for similar filenames. Thanks! I'm hoping to be able to replace the stock files with stuff like Pink Floyd's "Learning To Fly" if the files can be opened with something like 7zip.

Edit: Found it, 7zip won't open it. I'm not going to worry about it too much. That tool looks more like it's just to extract. I don't think MS has any intention of letting me actually replace!

For FSX, I have the music from Airplane! playing. :)

Don

ak416
September 5th, 2020, 09:08

Ah, yes, sorry about that, I thought you were just looking to extract the existing files. Not sure how you would go about repacking them. Since most of the audio seems to be in the .pck files, even for the aircraft, I'm sure there is a way I just don't personally know of one!

One thing I have had luck with is, in fs-base-videos\Videos you can find the intro video in there and it's just an mp4. You can simply replace that file with another mp4 and rename it to "PressStartVideo-4K.mp4" and it will work (I'm sure you can change the values in the layout.json file to use whatever title you would like, but I don't know enough about this stuff just yet :P). Not all that useful considering most people just skip it, but something to have fun with I suppose!

Tom Clayton
September 5th, 2020, 18:17
You can simply replace that file with another mp4 and rename it to "PressStartVideo-4K.mp4" and it will work...

Back in the FS9 days, I had the splash screen replaced with a shot from TNCM, complete with a sunbather that would qualify for a free drink at the Sunset Bar and Grill. :biggrin-new: You've given me a rather devious idea now, but then I might not want to "Press Any Key To Start" for a minute or two!

Tom Clayton
September 6th, 2020, 19:47
OK - I managed to put in my own video for the press any key screen. It's even almost tasteful! It's a group of young ladies frolicking around with some bush planes. I've also found the loading screen pic of the C172, of which there are two. I'll do some experimenting later to find out which one is actually used. I'm thinking about replacing that splash screen with one of my own screenshots so I don't have to look at that default registration. The only thing I can't find is the TBM pic that pops in right after you press that "Any" key.

Also, I ended up finding a bunch of leftover FSX screen bitmaps! That's a boatload of stuff they could have left out to save bandwidth on that initial mega d/l. :banghead: