PDA

View Full Version : FS2020 Aircraft File Folder View

StormILM
August 29th, 2020, 11:31
I finally found and opened the FS2020 Aircraft File Folders (location seen in this screen shot). I have to say, while some components are very similar to previous versions, the structure of each model is much more complex. For instance, the Model files have a Config file just as previous sims but by comparison, the Airbus A320 NEO has 12 Bin Files with an equal number of associated GLTF files and two XML files which the latter ties in with the Bin & GLTF files via the Config file. The panel files are not unlike previous versions in layout. The Texture files are more complex with PNG/DDS formats tied together with JSON type files. The sound file folder uses a PCK type file for the sound tied to a sound.xml file. The most interesting part of the new Aircraft File Folder arrangements are the use of multiple config files rather than a a single file with all the relevant entries and I must say, some of the entries are quite interesting (new architecture) and many are familiar. My desire was to de-rate the engine thrust on some of the jets as they seemed quite overpowered. I managed to accomplish this with the Airbus and CJ-4 but at this point I was unable to find a engine config file for the 747, 787, and Citation Longitude. Nevertheless, it is interesting to see how they put these models together.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78636&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78633&stc=1

centuryseries
August 29th, 2020, 11:40
I finally found and opened the FS2020 Aircraft File Folders (location seen in this screen shot). I have to say, while some components are very similar to previous versions, the structure of each model is much more complex. For instance, the Model files have a Config file just as previous sims but by comparison, the Airbus A320 NEO has 12 Bin Files with an equal number of associated GLTF files and two XML files which the latter ties in with the Bin & GLTF files via the Config file. The panel files are not unlike previous versions in layout. The Texture files are more complex with PNG/DDS formats tied together with JSON type files. The sound file folder uses a PCK type file for the sound tied to a sound.xml file. The most interesting part of the new Aircraft File Folder arrangements are the use of multiple config files rather than a a single file with all the relevant entries and I must say, some of the entries are quite interesting (new architecture) and many are familiar. My desire was to de-rate the engine thrust on some of the jets as they seemed quite overpowered. I managed to accomplish this with the Airbus and CJ-4 but at this point I was unable to find a engine config file for the 747, 787, and Citation Longitude. Nevertheless, it is interesting to see how they put these models together.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78633&stc=1

Interestingly, although there are many cfgs, all that information can still be put in the aircraft.cfg according to the current SDK! The engines.cfg file is in the same place as the 747 aircraft.cfg on my system.

StormILM
August 29th, 2020, 14:02
Interestingly, although there are many cfgs, all that information can still be put in the aircraft.cfg according to the current SDK! The engines.cfg file is in the same place as the 747 aircraft.cfg on my system.

I should have left the 747 off that list as it does in fact have the engines.cfg file in the aircraft folder. Just trying to figure out where the engines.cfg file for the 787 and Citation Longitude are.

jmig
August 30th, 2020, 05:26
I saw a thread somewhere that said the "Deluxe" aircraft were locked. According the the post this was to "protect the developer's rights."

If this is true, not good for us sim enthusiasts.

lagaffe
August 30th, 2020, 05:51
I saw a thread somewhere that said the "Deluxe" aircraft were locked. According the the post this was to "protect the developer's rights."

If this is true, not good for us sim enthusiasts.

Not exactly, in the Deluxe and Premium the additional aircraft have less cfg files, those of the flight model are moved up to the same level as the Airplanes folder and are binary files: Model.fsarchive, Cfg.fsarchive and Xml.fsarchive.
These aircraft have been developed by third party publishers so they want to protect their investissements !

FlyingsCool
August 30th, 2020, 09:43
Not exactly, in the Deluxe and Premium the additional aircraft have less cfg files, those of the flight model are moved up to the same level as the Airplanes folder and are binary files: Model.fsarchive, Cfg.fsarchive and Xml.fsarchive.
These aircraft have been developed by third party publishers so they want to protect their investments !

And by protecting them, they're likely to end up getting less use. Had I known this, I may not have purchased the Premium edition.
For instance, people can't add liveries to them because you can't access the information they're hiding, at least as far as I can tell so far.
They should have considered that and, given that information can be split across multiple config files, they could have split the livery information out into a separate cfg file.