PDA

View Full Version : Demo Version

falcon409
August 24th, 2020, 21:58
This would have been a great candidate for a Demo version. . ."Try before you buy". I am guessing there was a reason that wasn't possible, but it would have been perfect for anyone (like me) who really sits right on the virtual edge of having it work or not. I purchased the Standard version, installed, got some errors, refreshed and it apparently fixed those problems because it said "You own this". Since there's no desktop icon it took me a bit to find a way to start. . .I immediately got an error. . .Your system does not meet the minimum requirements, some things may not function properly (or something similar). I got the opening screen, then "Hit any key to continue" and that's where it ended. . .a black screen with that message sitting there taunting me. . .daring me to try a different key. . .knowing no key was going to take me any farther.

My system does meet the necessary standards, but what doesn't meet the standards is the version of Win10 I have. I am assuming that this is the reason the Sim isn't working. I have been running the update for an hour now and the PC has yet to restart heralding the completion of the update. So I'm sitting here, almost 1:00am tapping my fingers on the desk. . .waiting impatiently.

YoYo
August 24th, 2020, 22:08
Its possible - I have „demo”, free XBox Pass for 14 Days for new PC users :untroubled:. Check your offer.
You can buy also 1 month for 1,5$ to check it. It second option. The price is from my Country. For new users also.

YoYo
August 24th, 2020, 22:14
Free game pass I had from this website https://www.ign.com/keys (it was in August offer, perhaps similar offer will be in September). Its Standard version but Im very happy what I see now (MSFS was installed on my laptop, I did „moving” station, most of the time last time Im not at home, 45-80 fps with high/medium settings, and with this medium it looks a lot of better than P3D with very high ;) ). Im sure Ill take full P.Delux version.

btw. Promo for game pass is here https://www.xbox.com/PL-PL/xbox-game-pass/pc-games?icid=SSM_Search_Promo_Pass_XGPfPCB&ltid=searchPromo (just find EN version of this websiete). I advice to do it before to buy full version of MSFS. The cost is less than one beer ;). You can google also „xbox game pass free, 14 days trial”. I found few the other option.

falcon409
August 25th, 2020, 03:39
Well, 2020 is telling me that despite the fact that my system is slightly better than required it does not meet the minimum standards. So something about my setup beyond what MSFS 2020 claims is necessary makes my system inadequate. Time for a refund!

falcon409
August 25th, 2020, 04:20
Applied for my refund, so hopefully that goes back into my account soon. Too bad it doesn't tell you where the weak point was that caused it to not work, rather than saying it doesn't meet minimum when as far as I can tell it does.

FlyingsCool
August 25th, 2020, 06:02
Were you able to update to Win 10 2004?

My old main computer's motherboard was incapable of upgrading to Win10. Computer still runs great, 3.8GHz, GTX 1050, 16GB of ram, but MB too old (I built it in 2010 I think). So yeah, I ended up getting a hand-me-down from my son :rolleyes:

(Of course, I helped him build it in the first place, haha, plus I upgraded it with a RTX2070 Super :) ).

It can take a couple hours to update Windows major upgrades like the one to ver 2004.

falcon409
August 25th, 2020, 06:21
Were you able to update to Win 10 2004?

It can take a couple hours to update Windows major upgrades like the one to ver 2004.
Yes, I finally just let it run and went to bed. Got up this morning and it had been updated.

FlyingsCool
August 25th, 2020, 06:31
One upgrade I did a while back on my work laptop took 4 hours!

falcon409
August 25th, 2020, 06:35
One upgrade I did a while back on my work laptop took 4 hours!
Yea, I figured "how long could this possibly take", lol Now I know. Unfortunately that wasn't what 2020 didn't like about my system so unless I win a lottery I'll be staying with FSX. I even uninstalled P3D_V4.5 last evening just knowing that 2020 was in the bag. No great loss though I haven't flown P3D in many moons anyway.

falcon409
August 25th, 2020, 08:14
Final answer from MSFS 2020. . .the CPU does not meet the minimum standards. Oh well. Back to FSX, lol

Tom Clayton
August 25th, 2020, 08:34
Final answer from MSFS 2020. . .the CPU does not meet the minimum standards. Oh well. Back to FSX, lol
X-Plane has a trial version that you can d/l and try for free. You're limited in where you can fly, but it will answer any questions about whether your rig can handle it without risking your money.

As as for major Win10 build upgrades, those are usually overnight things for me. Even when I bought this sim, once the ~94GB d/l started, I went out for lunch, then for a beer at my favorite watering hole. When I got back, it was ready to go.

falcon409
August 25th, 2020, 08:49
X-Plane has a trial version that you can d/l and try for free. You're limited in where you can fly, but it will answer any questions about whether your rig can handle it without risking your money.

As as for major Win10 build upgrades, those are usually overnight things for me. Even when I bought this sim, once the ~94GB d/l started, I went out for lunch, then for a beer at my favorite watering hole. When I got back, it was ready to go.
I had X-Plane for over a year and only flew it briefly. I lost interest in it pretty quick when I found that moving my scenery over wasn't possible and would require a complete start over from scratch. My sole interest now is centered on MSFS2020, but that isn't happening so I will retire back to my FSX world.

FlyingsCool
August 25th, 2020, 10:17
I had X-Plane for over a year and only flew it briefly. I lost interest in it pretty quick when I found that moving my scenery over wasn't possible and would require a complete start over from scratch. My sole interest now is centered on MSFS2020, but that isn't happening so I will retire back to my FSX world.

I agree. I tried to get into X-plane, I even spent a bunch of money on it to upgrade planes and so on, and spent a bunch of time on getting it set up for me. But I couldn't get the photo scenery to work, and with all the upgrade changes that broke planes and disappearing developers not supporting their product after paying money for it, AI issues, couldn't get photo scenery to work (my issue, but...), lack of selection of good quality aircraft and systems, and other stuff, I just ended up back with the devil I knew.

MSFS2020, however, holy cow.

ColoKent
August 25th, 2020, 14:44
Ed,

Just out of curiosity, what are your specs (Including Mobo, please)?

Kent

falcon409
August 25th, 2020, 15:00
Ed,

Just out of curiosity, what are your specs (Including Mobo, please)?

Kent
it's all in my sig, lol. . . .I updated to Win10 Ver. 2004 because I thought that was the problem.

ColoKent
August 25th, 2020, 15:25
What a dope I am-- completely missed that...thanks!

Kent