PDA

View Full Version : Strange Airfield Choices

IanHenry
August 24th, 2020, 06:58
Flying around Scotland today I found some rather strange anomalies regarding airfields. Firstly one of my favourite "airports" in real life and virtually has been overlooked, Barra EGPR in the Outer Hebrides and even stranger still there's an airfield called Whitehills EG30 on the site of the former RAF Banff (the airfields name was Boyndie).

As far as I'm aware Boyndie has never been used as a civilian airfield since it closed at the end of the war. It's now the site of a wind farm (the turbines are present in the sim, they make it a little dicey taking off!), I find this all very strange:adoration:

Ian

wombat666
August 24th, 2020, 08:51
Microsoft='American' Company+Major Market=USA.
Doubt they could find Scotland Ian........:indecisiveness:

FlyingsCool
August 24th, 2020, 09:00
Microsoft='American' Company+Major Market=USA.
Doubt they could find Scotland Ian........:indecisiveness:

Except that the two main developers Asobo is French, and Blackshark.ai who did the mapping is Austrian. Pretty sure that covers people who would care about the European market.

I think the database their using is from 2015? When was the windfarm developed?

In any event, I'd check the last 10 years of aeronautical charts in the area to see what is "real", since that's where they got their info from, electronic databases the aero charts are developed from. Microsoft has nothing to do with the data they're using, that would be the European aviation authorities keeping their databases up to date. For an airfield that hasn't been used, they probably just didn't delete it from the database.

Spook48
August 24th, 2020, 09:54
There are more airports missing .

LEMG Malaga to name one. :dizzy:

IanHenry
August 24th, 2020, 10:31
I don't think Boyndie has been used since 1946, and before the wind farm there was a go cart track.

warchild
August 24th, 2020, 11:10
I would refer you all too this video. Seems there are a lot of missing airfields around the world.. This is a good beginning list as well as a list of other anomalies that are being noted..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elg-NrwR8SY