PDA

View Full Version : For those on the fence about thier GPU & FS2020

Butcherbird17
August 21st, 2020, 14:05
These guy's do a lot of testing different GPU's and resolutions in the new sim.

https://youtu.be/y6RIvvMPBTg

Joe

udidwht
August 21st, 2020, 22:30
This is why it needs Direct X12. One being bottle-necked by the IPC and Ghz of ones processor. Everyone is. DX11 is limited in it’s multi-threading capability and generates too many draw calls that exceed any CPU in existence today. Even if it scaled to other threads, the main-thread is really the cause of your lower GPU usage. It is the case in P3D, XP11 and FSX. This has always been the #1 reason why frames are always lower in flight sims. You would think that P3D, as being a DX12 application, would fair better but the legacy ESP engine code is still way to single threaded focus. It’s very easy to see. Load a PMDG 777 in P3D. The frame will vary to 40-50FPS. Pause the sim and your frame will jump by almost 80%. This is because simulation code and draw calls are on the same thread and limited your CPU to drive your GPU.

This is not rocket science. Asobo needs to port their engine to a proper DX12 engine. (not like LM did) and implement DLSS. This is the only way we will ever get 60 fps in this sim. A RTX 3000 series will not help anyone. We need overall lower draw calls combined with spreading the load across enough threads that it doesn’t bottleneck the GPU. When you increase the render scale, all you are doing in loading higher resolution to your GPU (just like DSR), it doesn’t provide you more frames.

StormILM
August 22nd, 2020, 01:40
I was looking at that guy indicating he was getting very poor FPS around New York City. I was getting super smooth & excellent FPS both during the day at low levels, with heavy weather, and at night in poor weather flying the A320. My Sim settings are maxed out, running 4k all day long, smooth as glass. I think a lot of the issues also have to do with the settings of both the Sim and the GPU. There may be some singular settings that are FPS killers or just cause annoying dips in FPS. I cut off V-Sync in the sim and any slight jumps/dips in FPS (which were very minor) totally disappeared.

My Rig:

Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Motherboard

i9-9900k base clock speed at 3.60 GHz, Turbo Boost to 5GHz,

G.Skills Ribjaws V 32gb RAM (2X 16GB) 2666MHz

RTX-2080ti GPU 11gb,

3 1TB SSD's and one Seaagate Barracuda 4TB HDD.

Asetek 680LS Liquid Cooling System (280mm)

Philips 32in Curved 4k Monitor (screen produced by Samsung).

EVGA SuperNOVA G3 Gold 850w Power Supply

BTW, the night flight I did around NYC in foul weather, the light and reflection visuals were just stunning and the wet runway and rain effects were equally great. I ran the windshield wipers which not only cleared the windshield, the displaced water streamed up the windscreen with the airflow directions. Never seen anything to compare to this before.

jmig
August 22nd, 2020, 05:19
"...This is not rocket science. Asobo needs to port their engine to a proper DX12 engine. (not like LM did) and implement DLSS. This is the only way we will ever get 60 fps in this sim..."

I think DX12 is a good idea. However, I do not understand why anyone needs 60 FPS. We are not playing Master Chief John or Unreal. I lock my system to 30 FPS and fly around with everything flowing smoothly.

spatialpro
August 23rd, 2020, 02:25
I do not understand why anyone needs 60 FPS. We are not playing Master Chief John or Unreal. I lock my system to 30 FPS and fly around with everything flowing smoothly.

60 FPS is "the new 30 FPS" because many people want to fly in VR, which requires 30 FPS per eye, therefore 60 total.