PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Aircraft

Pages : [1] 2

Seahawk72s
August 21st, 2020, 05:48
Has anyone converted over a legacy aircraft and with what success..?

centuryseries
August 21st, 2020, 06:22
Has anyone converted over a legacy aircraft and with what success..?

Tried last night, but failed, even with msfs style configs.

Manschy
August 21st, 2020, 08:22
Unless this is impossible, this flightsim will not enter my rig:a1310:

Javis
August 21st, 2020, 08:35
Unless this is impossible, this flightsim will not enter my rig:a1310:

You don't know what you're missing, I mean, you REALLY don't know. :smile:

Dimus
August 21st, 2020, 09:00
You don't know what you're missing, I mean, you REALLY don't know. :smile:

I'll second that!

I am also disappointed by the complexity of converting ore even remaking my sceneries for the new sim but I will learn, in time...

For the moment I am just enjoying simply flying over the world, and I don't mean just sightseeing, real GA flying with all the realism and fantastic flight dynamics.

True, nothing military or fast jet yet but it will come for sure.

Priller
August 21st, 2020, 09:54
Have a chat with Dean from DC Designs. He's converting his Eagle to this sim! :jump:

Priller

dvj
August 22nd, 2020, 07:13
I'll second that!

I am also disappointed by the complexity of converting ore even remaking my sceneries for the new sim but I will learn, in time...

For the moment I am just enjoying simply flying over the world, and I don't mean just sightseeing, real GA flying with all the realism and fantastic flight dynamics.

I will thrid that! Missing all of my wonderful FSX classic biplanes, but the GA experience in world expoloration is very good. Not a fan of the ICON, MS needed a Cessna float at least. This launch is less than a week old however. The future looks very bright indeed.

Bomber_12th
August 22nd, 2020, 07:48
I've been using this sim since early May, daily, and I'm still not feeling like needing any extra planes or scenery. I've been really having a great experience with the default/stock aircraft (unlike any we've seen in a flight sim out of the box), and of course the world and weather are absolutely stunning. For me to be interested in adding a new aircraft to the sim it is going to have to be at least on par with the default aircraft (visually, sound-wise, and flight dynamics), and that is no easy task. The few payware P3D straight port-overs I've seen in some previews look terrible in this sim compared to the default aircraft (easy to see the lower polygon count of the FSX/P3D models and the flat/lifeless textures). The developers doing it right have or are in the process of completely rebuilding their product aircraft from the ground-up to make use of the increased modeled detail (higher polygon counts) now supported and the PBR materials.

falcon409
August 22nd, 2020, 08:51
I'll second that!

I found the same to be true with XPlane. Had great hopes of converting all my scenery to work in XP and found it was impossible and I was looking at completely rebuilding everything. . .this appears to be a similar case so my scenery building will stop with FSX/P3D. . ."If" my current system allows me to enjoy this new Sim at a level (standard version) that looks better than my current FSX/P3D world. If I have to dumb down 2020 to fly then it's a no brainer where I'll stay.

mike_cyul
August 22nd, 2020, 09:05
Completely agree with Bomber_12th here.

From what I can tell, polygon limits have increased somewhat (the MSFS 747 has something like 500,000 polygons, and the DA62 twin interior model file summary alone has 360,000 (although in the viewport it says 634,00 triangles!)- the FR B-24 Liberator maxed out at approx. 450,000), and as John says, mastering the new materials and sound production will be essential. The SDK is far from complete right now, however.

Manschy
August 22nd, 2020, 09:09
I do understand all your arguments very well. Every videos I watch are simply amazing and yes, if other planes or sceneries than the MSFS default aircraft are indifferent to you, you might be in seventh heaven (hihi, what a pun :jump:).
But let me explain. I had been a big fan of the Harrier and in 2009, my dreams come true to find it in FS2004. Also in FSX and P3Dv4. I started to build RAF Gutersloh for FS2004 and had a lot of fun with all other Royal Air Force aircraft since then. Flightsim means bringing back all those days, the memories and - especially - gives me the opportunity to create own air bases and abandon airfields of those days. So all these options are gone abruptly.

But my perfect sim means to get all in one - not yet and at same time, but sometimes.

Being not a friend of MSFS is not the sims mistake, is mine. I also don't like smartphones very much because I don't catch the real point of it. So much stuff inside, but so much more stuff I don't need. Oh my god, you can watch flims with it - but hey, I do prefere watching films in HD on my big TV screen at home! Not everything that is new and - admittedly - awesome is useful to me, same with MSFS.
But maybe in 2 or 3 years it will catch my interest, and I will hark back to it when hopefully many of those aircraft or sceneries will find their way into MSFS - and when I will understand the SDK to get my own modest sceneries into it (still sooo damn tempering with Brüggen...)

My sims world is having all aircraft inside I am grow up with and most of the sceneries they can fly into - but even abandoned air bases are simply hidden in MSFS! So just because there are no military options inside it currently, I will have to wait for....patiently.
Hope this can explain my current reluctance, for now, but nor forever certainly... :wavey:

Seahawk72s
August 22nd, 2020, 16:15
From the August 20th Development update. for what its worth.

"For complex aircraft, WebAssembly is still undergoing active development. We are working on some much-needed features and providing code to help port existing C++ aircraft."

DennyA
August 22nd, 2020, 16:42
I fully get that FSX/P3D planes are not going to look as good or fly as well in MSFS.

At the same time, there are hundreds of planes available for those sims that will likely not be created for MSFS for years, if ever. I'd rather fly around MSFS Hawaii in Piglet's ported FS9 Kingfisher for a couple of years than have no Kingfisher at all. Ditto niche planes like the X-24, T-34, C-141, etc.

I hope someone creates a utility that will allow a portover of FSX/P3D planes that have XML gauges. I don't want to see these sold as payware, or billed as native MSFS planes as often happens with sloppy transfers of FS9 planes to FSX on certain download sites. But it'd be nice to have the option if you have a favorite niche plane you love.

Particularly given how much work it's going to take to make top-quality MSFS planes.

The stuff included in the box with MSFS is amazing and awesome But as a fan of 40-60's aircraft, realistically, it's going to be a long time if ever before we see a wide selection of those, it'd be nice to have a "stopgap" option.

Manschy
August 23rd, 2020, 02:53
I fully get that FSX/P3D planes are not going to look as good or fly as well in MSFS.

At the same time, there are hundreds of planes available for those sims that will likely not be created for MSFS for years, if ever. I'd rather fly around MSFS Hawaii in Piglet's ported FS9 Kingfisher for a couple of years than have no Kingfisher at all. Ditto niche planes like the X-24, T-34, C-141, etc.

I hope someone creates a utility that will allow a portover of FSX/P3D planes that have XML gauges. I don't want to see these sold as payware, or billed as native MSFS planes as often happens with sloppy transfers of FS9 planes to FSX on certain download sites. But it'd be nice to have the option if you have a favorite niche plane you love.

Particularly given how much work it's going to take to make top-quality MSFS planes.

The stuff included in the box with MSFS is amazing and awesome But as a fan of 40-60's aircraft, realistically, it's going to be a long time if ever before we see a wide selection of those, it'd be nice to have a "stopgap" option.

+1 My intention...but cold war airplanes...Stopgap would be enough to me to explore the new world with.

jmig
August 23rd, 2020, 05:05

I fully agree. Since I fly inside the cockpit, shiny aircraft skins and reflections aren't as important to me. I am more interested in flight dynamics and accurate systems that allow me to do most of the functions found in the real airplane. I do not believe that is currently attainable in the MSFS default aircraft.

The ones I have flown, most notable the Bonanza have horrible flight dynamics. The only time I have seen 170 kts is when I look away and the airplane heads straight down to the ground. I have yet to get one of these aircraft trimmed correctly. (which could be me) I am still trying to get my controllers to work correctly with the program.

If someone can get a good P3D aircraft working correctly in the sim, I will try it. Maybe afterwards I won't like the missing eye-candy, we will see however, I imagine.

The point is, I see MSFS default as shinny new toys. They are pretty to look at and the simple ones nice to use sight-seeing. They are a good harbinger of what is to come. However, I don't think they are yet mature.

Dimus
August 23rd, 2020, 05:26
I have only flown and still flying Cessnas (172 and 152) and Supercubs in real life. My opinion of their flight dynamics in MSFS is that they are very very accurate, including the "feel". My controllers are tuned with abt -20 in sensitivity which helped a lot.

jmig
August 23rd, 2020, 05:43
I have only flown and still flying Cessnas (172 and 152) and Supercubs in real life. My opinion of their flight dynamics in MSFS is that they are very very accurate, including the "feel". My controllers are tuned with abt -20 in sensitivity which helped a lot.

I learned to fly in a C-152 back in 1965. I have several hundred hours in the C-172/182 series. I haven't tried them in MSFS. From reading on the MSFS site it seems the Cesnna's, with possible exception of the 208, are accurate.

The Bonanza is one of the aircraft many people are deriding. When ever I have flown it, It seems to stay between 125-135 kts and is always searching for the correct altitude. Every time it tries to climb on the autopilot, it slows down to the point the nose drops to try and regain airspeed. I have never flown a Bonanza (above my pocketbook) in RL but I KNOW it goes faster than 130kt average. It will also climb higher than 3500 feet.

wombat666
August 23rd, 2020, 06:12
Might I take a moment to remind all that this what?
Roughly one week of the Sim being released into the wild........:biggrin-new:

FlyingsCool
August 23rd, 2020, 06:25
I haven't seen anyone discuss turbulence? Might this be the issue with the hunting?

I just installed it last night, so it will be quite some time before I get it set up to my liking I imagine, but, first impression flying around New England from Southern NH to KACK in the Cirrus, the turbulence model is blown way out of proportion. I had to go in and turn it off (which you can't, you can only turn it way down). I've got a couple hundred hours flying in this region, and I had real weather turned on and the air was really smooth last night from ground level anyway (2 knot wind late at night), and my plane was being tossed all over the place. With turbulence like that it would be impossible to trim the plane no matter how hard you tried for level flight. Turning the turbulence down helped, but, I've never experienced turbulence like that (I don't tend to fly in thunderstorm weather, haha). Bumps when you fly under a cloud or over a hot highway, bumpy ride, but not such that the plane is porpoising +/-200 ft at a time each second (not a controller thing).

Turning on the Altitude Hold with the autopilot smoothed the flight right out, but the plane had this slight roll/lean to the left that I couldn't get out. Of course, I'm not much of an autopilot guy, and I have no real understanding of the details of using it, so that could be my issue.

Anyway, I'm going to investigate this weather thing, see what I can do about it. Anyone else experiencing this? Any tips on setting weather?

Otherwise I'm super happy with it. Everything looks REALLY close to what it's like to fly around my area. Except for the town hall in the center, my neighborhood looks really close to what it is, including my house and the dirt parking lot next door. I mean, my house doesn't look at all like my house in detail, but all the homes, close enough. Pretty awesome. And just flying around Mt. Monadnock (too much trees on top, but, close enough), landing and taking off from KAFN Silver Lake (yep, exactly like I remember it)(well, a bit too busy, haha, but it's just fun). The Bourne and Sagamore bridges need to be replaced, half of KASH looks ok, the other half, eh; but, as was said above, wow, I don't need to think about the scenery, I hopped in, and I could concentrate on flying and the airplane, like, really flying. So cool, I can see I'm going to spend a lot of time here.

Dimus
August 23rd, 2020, 06:44
Agreed about the turbulence effect. The basis imho is good. I was able to identify areas where turbulence was expected from thermals like when crossing over a shore or near ridges. I was happily surprised to see this. the intensity however may be a bit too much. If there is a slider for it I will try it out.

Mach3DS
August 23rd, 2020, 07:05
Don't get me wrong, I basically agree with what had been said, but, I don't think the flight dynamics of all the aircraft are accurate. For example I have about 250 hours in Diamond aircraft IRL, DA42, DA40, DV20-C1, and I can tell you that the DA62 with very much much the same configuration as the 42, lacks the adverse yaw if the real thing. In fact most aircraft in this sim lack any realistic adverse yaw. In fact, vertical stability, would be the thing that I would would pick on as needing to be improved. This part of all the flight models, feels like it's on rails to me. That's not stopping me from having a blast. I'm just saying in terms of "realism" it's lacking. IMHO of course.

noddy
August 23rd, 2020, 07:22
From FB and DC Designs.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! DC Designs freeware is coming to MSFS! https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/t4c/1/16/1f642.png

I'm just working some things out at the moment, but fingers crossed, the P-61C Black Widow and the RF-61C Reporter will feature in MSFS soon. These are direct FSX ports and will not be as flashy and beautiful as native models, but they look surprisingly good in MSFS and are fun to fly - they also work well with the modern flight model system too!

More info as it comes in - I'm working on this process in the background with another developer who is the real talent in developing this workflow.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78432&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78433&stc=1

FlyingsCool
August 23rd, 2020, 07:48
From FB and DC Designs.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! DC Designs freeware is coming to MSFS! https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/t4c/1/16/1f642.png

I'm just working some things out at the moment, but fingers crossed, the P-61C Black Widow and the RF-61C Reporter will feature in MSFS soon. These are direct FSX ports and will not be as flashy and beautiful as native models, but they look surprisingly good in MSFS and are fun to fly - they also work well with the modern flight model system too!

More info as it comes in - I'm working on this process in the background with another developer who is the real talent in developing this workflow.

Awesome!
I was checking out the file layout and formats, holy cow there's a lot of files that will be needed going forward.

While you're at it, we need more sea planes, I'll take a Beaver (amphibious), a U206, a Goose, and a Cub on floats.

And for straight up, of course a T-6, Beech D-18, a Cherokee ('73 Challenger would be awesome!), a Ryan PT-22 would be sooo awesome, a Stearman, A Skyraider (since Piglet's plane is so nice!), a Corsair and P-38 would be really cool to start with for Warbirds... a Soptwith Pup to round out the early planes... All those and I'd be good for at least a year :) :playful:

But, really thanks so much!! Can't wait. It'll be so nice to hear those radials churning again in here! :applause:

FlyingsCool
August 23rd, 2020, 07:51
I haven't seen anyone discuss turbulence? Might this be the issue with the hunting?

I just installed it last night, so it will be quite some time before I get it set up to my liking I imagine, but, first impression flying around New England from Southern NH to KACK in the Cirrus, the turbulence model is blown way out of proportion. I had to go in and turn it off (which you can't, you can only turn it way down). I've got a couple hundred hours flying in this region, and I had real weather turned on and the air was really smooth last night from ground level anyway (2 knot wind late at night), and my plane was being tossed all over the place. With turbulence like that it would be impossible to trim the plane no matter how hard you tried for level flight. Turning the turbulence down helped, but, I've never experienced turbulence like that (I don't tend to fly in thunderstorm weather, haha). Bumps when you fly under a cloud or over a hot highway, bumpy ride, but not such that the plane is porpoising +/-200 ft at a time each second (not a controller thing).

Turning on the Altitude Hold with the autopilot smoothed the flight right out, but the plane had this slight roll/lean to the left that I couldn't get out. Of course, I'm not much of an autopilot guy, and I have no real understanding of the details of using it, so that could be my issue.

Anyway, I'm going to investigate this weather thing, see what I can do about it. Anyone else experiencing this? Any tips on setting weather?

Otherwise I'm super happy with it. Everything looks REALLY close to what it's like to fly around my area. Except for the town hall in the center, my neighborhood looks really close to what it is, including my house and the dirt parking lot next door. I mean, my house doesn't look at all like my house in detail, but all the homes, close enough. Pretty awesome. And just flying around Mt. Monadnock (too much trees on top, but, close enough), landing and taking off from KAFN Silver Lake (yep, exactly like I remember it)(well, a bit too busy, haha, but it's just fun). The Bourne and Sagamore bridges need to be replaced, half of KASH looks ok, the other half, eh; but, as was said above, wow, I don't need to think about the scenery, I hopped in, and I could concentrate on flying and the airplane, like, really flying. So cool, I can see I'm going to spend a lot of time here.

Hmm, maybe that was just the SR22... Just flew the Icon, and it's much more stable in the air, none of the constant jerks up and down (no change in controller settings... I really don't think the issue was my controller. Could be wrong, but it didn't feel like it, as control inputs felt normal to me in response.).

Bomber_12th
August 23rd, 2020, 08:10
On the topic of turbulence/bumpy flight - some of it might just be one's controller sensitivity setting. By default, the sensitivity setting for controller axes in the sim is too high for most controllers. For instance, if I leave it at the default setting, the planes with the most sensitive flight handling will be having constant up/down movements (due to my joystick controller never being perfectly steady - at rest, it always makes the most minute/tiny movements). I have my joystick and rudder pedal axes sensitivities set at -25 and it feels perfect to me, leaving the deadzones at 0.

Also on the topic of turbulence, I love that when flying over dense forests they seem to generate their own thermal effects, as they should, and the air can get quite bumpy flying over lots of trees. It is especially fun experiencing up and down drafts flying over mountain ranges and down low through big city skyscrapers. Flying over the Yosemite Valley, about a month ago during testing, I experienced some very powerful drafts that was like riding an elevator up and down.

Priller
August 23rd, 2020, 08:27
From FB and DC Designs.

Now that was fast!!

Now if anyone could come up with a converter proggie, like the one the CFS2 crowd came up with, us simple mortals could start at converting our favourite freeware kites!!

Priller

centuryseries
August 23rd, 2020, 11:02
Briefly managed to get my A-12 in MSFS, but many things need to be ironed out to get it working fully.

Mach3DS
August 23rd, 2020, 13:40
umm....I have an iron....just saying....do you need starch? Do you have an ironing board?? Whatever we can do to help the wrinkles!

FlyingsCool
August 23rd, 2020, 17:04
On the topic of turbulence/bumpy flight - some of it might just be one's controller sensitivity setting. By default, the sensitivity setting for controller axes in the sim is too high for most controllers. For instance, if I leave it at the default setting, the planes with the most sensitive flight handling will be having constant up/down movements (due to my joystick controller never being perfectly steady - at rest, it always makes the most minute/tiny movements). I have my joystick and rudder pedal axes sensitivities set at -25 and it feels perfect to me, leaving the deadzones at 0.

Also on the topic of turbulence, I love that when flying over dense forests they seem to generate their own thermal effects, as they should, and the air can get quite bumpy flying over lots of trees. It is especially fun experiencing up and down drafts flying over mountain ranges and down low through big city skyscrapers. Flying over the Yosemite Valley, about a month ago during testing, I experienced some very powerful drafts that was like riding an elevator up and down.

Ok, I'll try reducing, see if that helps... Thanks.

lagaffe
August 24th, 2020, 00:16
Ok, I'll try reducing, see if that helps... Thanks.
Hi,

An another solution is to modify by try and test, pitch and roll effectiveness parameters. 0.1 or 0.2 should be good values to begin.
Yes, you should do it for each plane but when the first planes developped by editors will be released, your joystick configuration will be correct.
Using sensitivity to -70% is like using a hammer to stop a mosquito 😁

centuryseries
August 24th, 2020, 11:28
umm....I have an iron....just saying....do you need starch? Do you have an ironing board?? Whatever we can do to help the wrinkles!

Maybe not an Iron, but a sledge hammer!

I managed to get the model showing, with some textures, not shared ones, tried to fix it, and now it's missing from the menu!!! Doh!:ernaehrung004:

FlyingsCool
August 24th, 2020, 12:04
Maybe not an Iron, but a sledge hammer!

I managed to get the model showing, with some textures, not shared ones, tried to fix it, and now it's missing from the menu!!! Doh!:ernaehrung004:

File management for planes looks like it's going to be a nightmare! Trying to avoid typos, how many files need to be kept track of... Yikes!

DC1973
August 24th, 2020, 12:38
The few payware P3D straight port-overs I've seen in some previews look terrible in this sim compared to the default aircraft (easy to see the lower polygon count of the FSX/P3D models and the flat/lifeless textures). The developers doing it right have or are in the process of completely rebuilding their product aircraft from the ground-up to make use of the increased modeled detail (higher polygon counts) now supported and the PBR materials.

Yeah, ported FSX airplanes look truly awful in MSFS. Why would anyone bother converting a totally stock FSX airplane when they look as rubbish as this...? :biggrin-new:

While payware indeed justifies updates, freeware models run beautifully in the new sim, even on the new aerodynamic model. Polygon counts can indeed be higher, but there's never a need to use 1,000 if 500 do just great, in my opinion.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78478&stc=1

Snaker
August 24th, 2020, 12:56
Wow! That looks great. Maybe the lower poly count planes would run better than the stock ones on my low end computer. I have lots of fsx aircraft that I would love to see ported over.

DC1973
August 24th, 2020, 13:01
Wow! That looks great. Maybe the lower poly count planes would run better than the stock ones on my low end computer. I have lots of fsx aircraft that I would love to see ported over.

This. Everybody assumes that everybody else runs a GTX2080ti with 274389002GB of RAM, but the truth is that half the sim user market run rigs more than four years old. I should know, I am one :)

I build airplanes, do conversions and plan my business model around that simple fact. While MSFS can support higher poly counts, and the engine actually favours mesh over higher-resolution textures, the recommended poly counts in the SDK aren't that much higher than those used for many years in FSX and P3D. Still, those recommendations were always on the low side against what really could be achieved.

The kicker is when a user wants to fly their 500,000 polygon, study-level Leviathon over New York City, in heavy weather and dense traffic. Then, all of a sudden, ultra-dense modeling becomes a real PITA!

Sundog
August 24th, 2020, 14:50
How are people putting these in the sim? I thought you had to run some kind of program to rebuild them or something?

OzWookiee
August 24th, 2020, 16:54
If anyone is interested, there is a thread on the MSFS boards and a tool that can help converting FSX aircraft:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fsx-import-showcase/165910?u=ozwookiee

There are some caveats that some panels wont work, but if they are 3D Guages and use XML then it's out of the box.

The models really do look a million times better though when converted to native models and use the new MSFS Materials.

FlyingsCool
August 24th, 2020, 18:26
If anyone is interested, there is a thread on the MSFS boards and a tool that can help converting FSX aircraft:

There are some caveats that some panels wont work, but if they are 3D Guages and use XML then it's out of the box.

The models really do look a million times better though when converted to native models and use the new MSFS Materials.

Thanks! :)

FlyingsCool
August 24th, 2020, 18:30
Sort of related question... I've searched everywhere in the file structure and files.... Where is the default tail number stored? I'd like to change them. I hate those "ASXGS" N-numbers.

Sundog
August 24th, 2020, 22:27
Sort of related question... I've searched everywhere in the file structure and files.... Where is the default tail number stored? I'd like to change them. I hate those "ASXGS" N-numbers.

Under ATC. You can also change your "call sign," as well.

centuryseries
August 24th, 2020, 23:49

The little program works well, much better than doing it by hand. Haven't managed to start the engines of the A-12 yet though! Also need to edit the configs for engines etc

centuryseries
August 25th, 2020, 02:25
Has anyone tried this? Not tried it myself yet as I'm always wary of online converters.....

https://3d-convert.com/en/convert/mdl-to-gltf.html

Might have a play later.

DC1973
August 25th, 2020, 03:46
The little program works well, much better than doing it by hand. Haven't managed to start the engines of the A-12 yet though! Also need to edit the configs for engines etc

I've been using that. As a side note, even native conversions for jets at the moment don't work - engines won't start, no power to the airplane for some reason. I haven't got to the bottom of it either...

centuryseries
August 25th, 2020, 04:05
I've been using that. As a side note, even native conversions for jets at the moment don't work - engines won't start, no power to the airplane for some reason. I haven't got to the bottom of it either...

Have you found that simple things like opening canopies and some (not all) visibility tags are also not functioning?

It seems to be taking some of the logic behind visibility tags and not others. For example, a dummy refuelling receptacle door animates from the cockpit switch, and animates on the external model, but the basic canopy opening switch doesn't work? Similarly, the drag chute handle which is rightly or wrongly triggering airbrakes animates, but the visibility tag that controls the chute appearing and doors opening do not work....?

Struggling to get my head around it unless something is broken...?!!

My cockpit glass isn't working either - not reflective, but that's likely to be a format problem I guess.

jmig
August 25th, 2020, 04:37
None of the default aircraft have operational doors. Only the pay-ware Carenado C-182T has doors that open and close.

You have to remember according to MS this is a "GAME." Games don't need operational doors, unless it is Unreal. :mixed-smiley-010:

centuryseries
August 25th, 2020, 04:49
None of the default aircraft have operational doors. Only the pay-ware Carenado C-182T has doors that open and close.

You have to remember according to MS this is a "GAME." Games don't need operational doors, unless it is Unreal. :mixed-smiley-010:

So FSX really was "As real as it gets"!

Joking aside there is an event ID for door: KEY_TOGGLE_AIRCRAFT_EXIT so hopefully they will make it work!

odourboy
August 25th, 2020, 05:40

Not totally true. The A320 passenger door opens when you request a jetway. When I parked poorly and the jetway was misaligned I could see the open door. So, at least in this default aircraft, the animation exists.

My guess on canopy behavior (purely a guess dince I haven't looked at the SDK) is that a sim variable and or key command has changed or is broken so any designer who coded their animation or control based on that would be broken Where as an animation based on a custom variable and clickpoint would work?

FlyingsCool
August 25th, 2020, 06:06
In rooting around in the files, I also saw references to handle for canopy opening. My guess, based on their saying their working on the SDK and tools for converting aircraft, that they're still working on activating functionality.

Given that some animations work, but not this one, and you'd think opening a canopy is about as simple as it gets for animations, I'm wondering if TuFun's suggestion about Avatar animation may not be far off from reality, and the reason it's not currently working is they're working on some further functionality like that?

magoo
August 25th, 2020, 06:44
.....No helicopters....?

centuryseries
August 25th, 2020, 07:17
.....No helicopters....?

Not yet, but given its a beautiful visual sim, with great looking cities, I'd imagine that would happen at some point!

DennyA
August 25th, 2020, 15:42
They've announced helicopter support is in the works, and there will be a helicopter add-on available with multiple craft, helipads, etc.

Penzoil3
August 25th, 2020, 16:18
If we have to pay for the helicopter add on, I will be very unhappy after dropping $120 to begin with.
Sue

Sundog
August 25th, 2020, 17:36
You will have to pay something for the Helicopter add-on. I don't recall if they are going to add the capability for free, but if you want their helo models you'll have to pay for them, just as you paid for more planes when you bought MSFS. It's something like that.

SkippyBing
August 25th, 2020, 22:38
My understanding was the simulator would get the capability in an update, i.e. you don’t have to pay for it as it will be part of the regularly updates to the programme. However, when that happens you’ll still need to pay for the helicopters whether that’s from MS/ASOBO or a third party. In the interview I saw they mentioned maybe doing a pack of four helicopters to showcase the range of possibilities.

Seahawk72s
August 30th, 2020, 06:09
A B-2 in MSFS, nice external views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OznYnUkZ0F0

blanston12
August 30th, 2020, 10:05
I have been trying to add some legacy aircraft to my sim and have had varying levels of success, here are some of my results. First is Ants tiger moth.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78661&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78662&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78663&stc=1

It does appear that only 3D modeled gauges work and none of the popup 2D panels. This one worked fairly well except I could not find a way to remove the non-functioning GPS.

blanston12
August 30th, 2020, 10:11
Ant's Tigermoth Pro worked ok except for the strange polygons around the gauges.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78664&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78665&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78666&stc=1

blanston12
August 30th, 2020, 10:16
Some definite fails

Coronado's Bonanza F33

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78667&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78668&stc=1

AH P47

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78669&stc=1

Nigel Richards's FSX Native AVRO 621

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78670&stc=1

blanston12
August 30th, 2020, 10:22
The GAS Super Stearman was a winner,

These are the A75L300

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78671&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78672&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78673&stc=1

But the A75AG had some panel issues.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78674&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78675&stc=1

blanston12
August 30th, 2020, 10:48
Another test, this with the JustFlight Battle Of Brittan pack, for the most part its pretty good. However.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78676&stc=1

The BF109's gauges had no hands so I did no further testing with it.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78677&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78678&stc=1

The Hurricane looked good

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78679&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78680&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78681&stc=1

The spitfire did not look bad also, both the Spit and the Hurricane both had an issue with not having textures on the wheels (something I can live with). Most of the small tail draggers I tested, with the exception of the stearman, tended to go nose over very easily and it was very difficult to come to a stop safely.

Ganter
August 30th, 2020, 11:38
Come on guys - sort it out.

Can't keep flying the 152. It's boring. . .

bazzar
August 30th, 2020, 13:22
Blanston12, the strange wireframes etc in your VCs are mouse clickspots and 2D gauge panels. The only way to remove those is with access to the original model. XML and 3D gauges will be OK. Quality of textures will depend on resolution of the originals and what kind of testure they are. Remember that in FSX, several types of DDS and bitmaps (BMP) were/are used to achieve different results and keep framerates down in that sim. Animations in legacy add-ons may behave strangely too.It's all a bit of a lottery.I wonder how our Duxford Mk1 Spitfire and the new Hurricane work. We are very busy on contract work at the moment so have no time to test. Anybody game?:engel016:

BTW, I lived on Jersey for 17 years.

OzWookiee
August 30th, 2020, 14:47
Biggest thing to understand with these conversations is that all 2D instruments in the 3D cockpit will not work. This was a very common technique of previous FSX developers, both payware and freeware alike, so majority of aircraft converted will not work without a LOT of work.

At this point it is much better that they (the developers) break something's so that we can having some really amazing things going forward. Honestly there is 0 reason to have 2D instruments in a 3D cockpit in 2020. There are some instruments that you do need to draw on a 2D plane (glass instruments) and they have given us new tools to do that. Which requires the new 3D art format and some new coding.

blanston12
August 30th, 2020, 15:54
Baz, I hope when you said "XML and 3D gauges will be OK" that it means its something they have said they will fix in time.

I have the Dunkirk Spit but I don't have you latest Hurricane. Here are some shots from the Spit, they speak for themselves.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78685&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78686&stc=1

Then inspired I tried a couple older aircraft, first the AH B-17G, for the most part a success. It flew reasonably well and I managed to land without doing a nose plant (but it was close)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78687&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78688&stc=1

Then the AH C-46, I selected one with the more modern gauges and it looked promising.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78689&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78690&stc=1

Only as I few around did I discover that the AP and radio gauges looked like they were working when in fact they were not, they displayed stuff but you could not change it. It landed fine but could not steer on the ground even with left and right brakes enabled.

keithb77
August 31st, 2020, 06:05
Baz, I hope when you said "XML and 3D gauges will be OK" that it means its something they have said they will fix in time.

Then the AH C-46, I selected one with the more modern gauges and it looked promising.

Only as I few around did I discover that the AP and radio gauges looked like they were working when in fact they were not, they displayed stuff but you could not change it. It landed fine but could not steer on the ground even with left and right brakes enabled.

3D gauges work, they are in the MDL file. XML gauges don't work at the moment.

For the C-46 I prefer the older military model, the autopilot works and the radios are hidden in the roof so you don't see the cross-outs. They work though.
The AH/JF Lockheed Electra also works well, just the collins radios are crossed out, sadly in plain view.
https://cdn-thumbs.imagevenue.com/ca/33/10/ME12C9VK_t.jpg (https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12C9VK)

For Ant's Tiger Moth you CAN get rid of the wire frame - they are in the panel.cfg as 'click-spot' XML gauges, just delete them.
Sadly though the controls (eg throttle) don't move in the cockpit but you do still control them with joystick etc.
But for me it is silent - do you get any sounds? I think they are all from a sound DLL.

Another one I've had success with is the Virtavia Islander, again everything except the radios, GPS and A/P display and everything works.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78698&stc=1

DC6 looks good but most of the instruments are bust
https://cdn-thumbs.imagevenue.com/de/f9/56/ME12C6FL_t.jpg (https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12C6FL)

Cheers
Keith

centuryseries
August 31st, 2020, 06:49
Hoping to get this one native at some point.

http://www.glowingheat.co.uk/screenshots/A-12/SR in MSFS.jpg

Navy Chief
August 31st, 2020, 08:32
Come on guys - sort it out.

Can't keep flying the 152. It's boring. . .

Ditto! NC:biggrin-new:

Navy Chief
August 31st, 2020, 08:42

For the C-46 I prefer the older military model, the autopilot works and the radios are hidden in the roof so you don't see the cross-outs. They work though.
The AH/JF Lockheed Electra also works well, just the collins radios are crossed out, sadly in plain view.
https://cdn-thumbs.imagevenue.com/ca/33/10/ME12C9VK_t.jpg (https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12C9VK)

For Ant's Tiger Moth you CAN get rid of the wire frame - they are in the panel.cfg as 'click-spot' XML gauges, just delete them.
Sadly though the controls (eg throttle) don't move in the cockpit but you do still control them with joystick etc.
But for me it is silent - do you get any sounds? I think they are all from a sound DLL.

Another one I've had success with is the Virtavia Islander, again everything except the radios, GPS and A/P display and everything works.

https://cdn-thumbs.imagevenue.com/de/f9/56/ME12C6FL_t.jpg (https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12C6FL)

Cheers
Keith

Would LOVE to see the Just Flight Islander work in this sim!! NC

Ganter
August 31st, 2020, 09:33
Nice work lads, nice work.

If you were doing all this work together in a hangar I'd bring you all a cup of tea and tray of biscuits.

Keep going. Let's get all these birds off the tarmac and in to the MSFS skies.

blanston12
August 31st, 2020, 10:03

Cheers
Keith

Is that the JF DC6? An aircraft I have used a lot in both FSX and P3D (yes 64 bit compatible) but mostly it's mostly 2D XML gauges I figured it would be a lost cause.

I did try the JF Electra and it worked quite well, same issues as the C-46. Interestingly using the Sperry autopilot with the mouse, I could rotate the heading bug or the pitch one way but not the other, I would have to map a keyboard key to do that when it's time to fly it for real.

Spook48
August 31st, 2020, 10:19
Did anybody try this ?
I cant download it.

https://www.msfsaddon.com/2020/08/flight-simulator-2020-fokker-d21-plane.html

edit: Hmm , was browsing through that site and i seriously doubt if its all legit in there so nvm .

keithb77
August 31st, 2020, 10:32
I couldn't download the D21 either - looks like a lot of clickbait, I wouldn't trust the .com site at all - stick to https://www.msfsaddons.org/

Yes that's the JF DC-6 and no it's not really flyable with few working gauges.

The BoB Spitfire and Hurricane are pretty nice though :) just a few white textures (need converting to 32bit bmp I think) and very unstable on the ground, maybe the contact points or similar need adjusting?

The Virtavia / Flight1 Islander converts nicely - I'm not aware of a JustFlight version?

None of the later JustFlight models display properly, pretty sure that's copy-protection kicking in because a DLL fails to load in MSFS despite it being a legit licensed retail copy installed straight into MSFS.

Cheers
Keith

anthony31
August 31st, 2020, 12:33
Ant's Tigermoth Pro worked ok except for the strange polygons around the gauges.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78664&stc=1

Those would be the mouse rectangles. I map them to a virtual cockpit texture which uses a special blend to be invisible (or not). It makes development a lot easier too as the mouse logic can be put into a simple XML gauge instead of needing to be part of the model file. I guess MSFS doesn't like them.

bazzar
August 31st, 2020, 13:33
"Baz, I hope when you said "XML and 3D gauges will be OK" that it means its something they have said they will fix in time.

I have the Dunkirk Spit but I don't have you latest Hurricane. Here are some shots from the Spit, they speak for themselves."

Blanston12, you might want to try converting to 32bit bitmaps for the textures. If you used the FSX versions, they should at least show up I would have thought. Also there will be JF security on the originals.The security dll will be blocking out much of the model.:engel016:

musterpilot
August 31st, 2020, 16:39

Cheers
Keith

G'day Keith how can I get the Virtavia Islander in the sim my favorite aircraft

John

blanston12
August 31st, 2020, 19:46
Some more tests:

Virtavia B-29, I sort of expected this.:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78727&stc=1

RealAir Duke V2, even worse:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78728&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78729&stc=1

I posted the outside shot just you can see it was not night time.

Then the RealAir spit, and to my surprise it seamed to work OK.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78730&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78731&stc=1
Like many of the aircraft tested quite hard to control on the grounds and when landing I again ended up like this.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78732&stc=1

blanston12
August 31st, 2020, 19:49
One last thing to try, in FSX and P3D if you run the engine too long at 100% it will fail on you and a very dramatic way and I wanted to see if it did the same thing in MSFS

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78734&stc=1

It did!

blanston12
August 31st, 2020, 19:57
Just to continue a theme, the AH Typhoon. Again just about everything worked but very hard to control on the ground, nosed over just after I loaded the sim with the parking brake set and throttle at idle.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78735&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78736&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78737&stc=1

Ending up upside down in a field has become a pretty common way for me to end up when flying these 'Legacy' fighters, this does not happen to me in other sims I promise.

FlyingsCool
August 31st, 2020, 20:53
How long does it take you for each plane?
I think you said the GAS Super Stearman worked very well?

I suppose I should break down and follow the directions...

ak416
August 31st, 2020, 21:37
Nice to see so many models in the new sim, even if they aren't perfect.

I've also been slowly going through my library and have had mixed results.

Metal2Mesh Mirage - Had to bring over the engine.cfg from the Citation before it would even move, otherwise it would remain completely stationary. Difficult to get started, though I can't be sure if that's because I haven't been in it for a few years or what. Hud doesn't work and all the gauges have the triangle clickspot errors, I haven't tried removing them in the panel.cfg yet. It flies like a Citation because of the engine.cfg, I assume. I don't know enough about this stuff to change it (yet).

https://i.imgur.com/Hxy1C6S.png

https://i.imgur.com/c3iNroY.jpg

Lotus Simulations L-39 - I was pleasantly surprised by how well the L-39 worked out of the box. I had some trouble starting the engines, but once I did it was mostly fine. It flies well, maybe a bit more agile with the "Legacy" flight model selected in the options menu, but it was good enough for me to have some fun with. Cockpit sounds don't work because they rely on a .dll, though when I brought my gear up I did hear that and that sound kept looping. Most if not all of the click spots work, which was a first for me.

https://i.imgur.com/UNVVkVv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ezYs2fg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OTMcRWy.jpg

I very much doubt that either Lotus Simulations or Metal2Mesh will be updating either aircraft for the new sim, but it's fun to dream, right? Maybe the tools will be there for us in the future to make these ports a bit more seamless. :encouragement:

bazzar
August 31st, 2020, 22:59
"Ending up upside down in a field has become a pretty common way for me to end up when flying these 'Legacy' fighters, this does not happen to me in other sims I promise. "

Nosing over will undoubtedly be caused by contact points, the CoG not relating to the parameters used in the MSFS world. Try moving them forward in the Aircraft CFG of the pre-converted file. This will effectively move the CoG when on the ground. Then port and see what happens. :engel016:

YoYo
August 31st, 2020, 23:05
"Ending up upside down in a field has become a pretty common way for me to end up when flying these 'Legacy' fighters, this does not happen to me in other sims I promise. "

Nosing over will undoubtedly be caused by contact points, the CoG not relating to the parameters used in the MSFS world. Try moving them forward in the Aircraft CFG of the pre-converted file. This will effectively move the CoG when on the ground. Then port and see what happens. :engel016:

btw. Bazz any news about first official conversion any Your model to MSFS? Maybe as the first MS893, C140 or this new Zlin 50? :wavey:

btw.2 Im not sure but MSFS Store will the one place only to buy addon for MSFS? What will happen with Simmarket, PCAviator, ect.?

keithb77
August 31st, 2020, 23:19
A few minutes with DXTBMP fixed the tyres and exhaust stack on the AH Spit and Hurricane
https://cdn-thumbs.imagevenue.com/16/f6/13/ME12CXUR_t.jpg (https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12CXUR)
Still a few textures to convert though.
Very pleased with these two :)

For the Virtavia Islander it's very easy - just follow the instructions and it works.
I still use the simple python script (no need for virtual studio) but there are good instructions for the converter program here (https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/guide-converting-aircraft-from-fsx-to-msfs.448744/)at FSDeveloper
Cheers
Keith

bazzar
September 1st, 2020, 00:08
btw. Bazz any news about first official conversion any Your model to MSFS? Maybe as the first MS893, C140 or this new Zlin 50? :wavey:

btw.2 Im not sure but MSFS Store will the one place only to buy addon for MSFS? What will happen with Simmarket, PCAviator, ect.?

As part of the "proof of concept" approach we are taking with Ctrl/Ezy, we are currently working on bringing the Pucara to MSFS. Once the workflow is to our liking, we will then be able to publish more detail on other product for MSFS. Zlin Z50LS will definitely be there.

MS has always stated that developers will be able to sell their products themselves. We have heard nothing to the contrary as yet.:engel016:

YoYo
September 1st, 2020, 00:16
MS has always stated that developers will be able to sell their products themselves. We have heard nothing to the contrary as yet.:engel016:

Thx for reply, they are some good news!

Bomber_12th
September 1st, 2020, 05:50
Yes, there are already some companies that have their products released outside of the MSFS Marketplace, like ORBX, FLYT, Gaya Simulations, Sierrasim and Drzewiecki. In Microsoft's own words, as reported in their July 16th development update:

"The Marketplace will operate under an Agency model, which means that you, as the content creator, will set the price for every piece of content you submit. Becoming a partner doesn’t alter your ability to sell your content on your own websites and storefronts. Just like with FSX, you can continue to sell your content outside of our Marketplace. Becoming a Microsoft Flight Simulator Marketplace Partner essentially unlocks another channel for you."

Obviously getting an addon product in the MSFS Marketplace will be of a great benefit especially when the XBox version of the sim is released, as it will open up a whole 'nother sector of potential customers.

fsafranek
September 1st, 2020, 10:14

Cheers
Keith
Would love to see this one working. I wonder if there is a way to just distribute the needed files to folks who already have the payware?

Don't know if you've seen this thread at avsim but on page 7 Ernie Alston, developer of the KLN-90 used in the Virtavia/Flight1 Islander, gave us a 64-bit version. Works great in P3Dv4+.
avsim.com/forums/topic/529864-britten-norman-bn-2-islander-for-p3dv4-coming-soon/ (https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/529864-britten-norman-bn-2-islander-for-p3dv4-coming-soon/)

:ernaehrung004:

Navy Chief
September 1st, 2020, 13:20
I just saw these screenshots that were posted on that Microsoft forum. Definitely got my attention!!

NC

Navy Chief
September 1st, 2020, 13:28
Keep an eye on this site. 😊 http://frenchvfr.free.fr/

YoYo
September 1st, 2020, 13:36
Btw where can I report bugs in MSFS and his default planes?

ak416
September 1st, 2020, 13:39
Btw where can I report bugs in MSFS and his default planes?

Top right > Submit a request

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001769531-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator

keithb77
September 1st, 2020, 13:39
Would love to see this one working. I wonder if there is a way to just distribute the needed files to folks who already have the payware?Don't know if you've seen this thread at avsim but on page 7 Ernie Alston, developer of the KLN-90 used in the Virtavia/Flight1 Islander, gave us a 64-bit version. Works great in P3Dv4+.avsim.com/forums/topic/529864-britten-norman-bn-2-islander-for-p3dv4-coming-soon/ (https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/529864-britten-norman-bn-2-islander-for-p3dv4-coming-soon/):ernaehrung004:I can email you two JSON files, that should be all you need...pm me your email.Create the folder structure \Community\Islander\SimObjects\Airplanes\and copy your "Flight One BN-2 Islander" folder into it from an existing installation.Put the two .JSON files into the Islander folderStart MSFSThe Islander SHOULD be there and flyable, I don't know if anyone has tried this before but it should work....Yes, I had that GPS for P3D, it doesn't help for MSFS as the problem is only 3D gauges in the MDL file are supported for now.CheersKeith

odourboy
September 1st, 2020, 13:40
A lot of problems, but some small progress on this one:
https://i.postimg.cc/HkPSQMzS/Flight-Simulator-2020-09-01-17-27-39-81.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/9Qf8RbdR/Flight-Simulator-2020-09-01-17-29-59-77.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/FspCH8LX/Flight-Simulator-2020-09-01-17-30-05-94.jpg

Navy Chief
September 1st, 2020, 13:43
A couple more from that forum. I really hope these conversions can be shared. Piecemeal info so far. NC

OzWookiee
September 1st, 2020, 14:45
Hey folks, FYI I have written up the process for creating port-overs: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/guide-converting-aircraft-from-fsx-to-msfs.448744

Theres a few things that I need to update but that's pretty much the process.

odourboy
September 1st, 2020, 15:31
Hey folks, FYI I have written up the process for creating port-overs: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/guide-converting-aircraft-from-fsx-to-msfs.448744

Theres a few things that I need to update but that's pretty much the process.
Excellent. I could have used this two days ago when I was mapping airfile tables to .cfg files myself. But thanks for making the effort to codify and share this process.

Have you tried the Python build.py script to build your layout.json files? Seems way easier then the planeconverter.

OzWookiee
September 1st, 2020, 16:34
Excellent. I could have used this two days ago when I was mapping airfile tables to .cfg files myself. But thanks for making the effort to codify and share this process.

Have you tried the Python build.py script to build your layout.json files? Seems way easier then the planeconverter.

The each do the same thing and I was using PlaneConverter before the python file was a thing :D (like it's ancient or something LOL)

Have you got a link for that python file? I'll add it to the page. Also, did you want to include anything onto that master list to help?

odourboy
September 1st, 2020, 17:18
build.py is on github as part of the developer files from the A32NX project, here:

https://github.com/wpine215/msfs-a320neo/tree/master/A32NX

Just install Python 3.8.x for W10 on your pc if you don't have it..
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.8.5/python-3.8.5-amd64.exe

Then drop the build.py script in the top folder of you add-on (where your manifest.json is) and click it To run it. Drops A layout.json in the same folder. Done.

OzWookiee
September 1st, 2020, 17:25
build.py is on github as part of the developer files from the A32NX project, here:

https://github.com/wpine215/msfs-a320neo/tree/master/A32NX

Just install Python 3.8.x for W10 on your pc if you don't have it..
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.8.5/python-3.8.5-amd64.exe

Then drop the build.py script in the top folder of you add-on (where your manifest.json is) and click it To run it. Drops A layout.json in the same folder. Done.

Nice one :D I'll update the document now.

OzWookiee
September 1st, 2020, 17:36
Done: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/guide-converting-aircraft-from-fsx-to-msfs.448744/post-853400

Victory103
September 1st, 2020, 18:54
NC, that is great to see and very interested now that I might be able to at least fly all my mil trainers in the new sim. Continuing to follow the progress.

OzWookiee
September 1st, 2020, 19:09
NC, that is great to see and very interested now that I might be able to at least fly all my mil trainers in the new sim. Continuing to follow the progress.

You will have to do the conversions yourself I am afraid as without authorisation from the original aircraft devs, they should not be distributed. However, I made a guide to help you :D Check out my post on the prev page.

YoYo
September 1st, 2020, 21:42
Top right > Submit a request

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001769531-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator

Thank You!

keithb77
September 1st, 2020, 22:09
Not working yet...just a taster:https://cdn-thumbs.imagevenue.com/8e/c5/35/ME12D0PO_t.jpg (https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12D0PO) CheersKeith

Manschy
September 2nd, 2020, 01:45
Not working yet...just a taster:https://cdn-thumbs.imagevenue.com/8e/c5/35/ME12D0PO_t.jpg (https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12D0PO) CheersKeith

OMG - my heart is beating a lot faster! :applause:

odourboy
September 2nd, 2020, 16:52
I'm going to throw these out here... don't know if anyone can suggest anything, but after porting all the aircraft.cfg and airfile data for the Lotus L-39 into MSFS, a few observations on it's handling (I'm using the 'modern' flight model FWIW):

1) Response to flight controls is sluggish - they seem to have about half the 'authority' then P3D, e.g. a roll in P3D takes about 4 seconds, it takes 8 in MSFS. Aileron, Elevator & Rudder all equally lacking. I also noticed that the amount of physical deflection of the control surfaces in the animations are significantly reduced at speed compared to on the ground. Coincidence (this does NOT occur in P3D)? Any ideas as to what tables/variables to look at?

2) Jet engine seems significantly overpowered... to the drag is wrong. Thoughts?

3) The landing gear is fine when starting cold and dark (i.e. at a gate/ramp parking spot), but on a runway, ready to fly, landing gear is retracted. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

fsafranek
September 2nd, 2020, 17:47
I can email you two JSON files, that should be all you need...pm me your email.Create the folder structure \Community\Islander\SimObjects\Airplanes\and copy your "Flight One BN-2 Islander" folder into it from an existing installation.Put the two .JSON files into the Islander folderStart MSFSThe Islander SHOULD be there and flyable, I don't know if anyone has tried this before but it should work....Yes, I had that GPS for P3D, it doesn't help for MSFS as the problem is only 3D gauges in the MDL file are supported for now.CheersKeith

Thank you very much for the files. It worked perfectly to get the bird in the game. Er, I mean the aircraft in the sim. :very_drunk:

She looks pretty dang good. Especially for a model from a decade ago.

As you said, the radios don't work and there are some gauges with no needles but there was enough to safely fly her. Hoping the sim evolves to support more gauge types.
:ernaehrung004:

OzWookiee
September 2nd, 2020, 18:10
I'm going to throw these out here... don't know if anyone can suggest anything, but after porting all the aircraft.cfg and airfile data for the Lotus L-39 into MSFS, a few observations on it's handling (I'm using the 'modern' flight model FWIW):

1) Response to flight controls is sluggish - they seem to have about half the 'authority' then P3D, e.g. a roll in P3D takes about 4 seconds, it takes 8 in MSFS. Aileron, Elevator & Rudder all equally lacking. I also noticed that the amount of physical deflection of the control surfaces in the animations are significantly reduced at speed compared to on the ground. Coincidence (this does NOT occur in P3D)? Any ideas as to what tables/variables to look at?

2) Jet engine seems significantly overpowered... to the drag is wrong. Thoughts?

3) The landing gear is fine when starting cold and dark (i.e. at a gate/ramp parking spot), but on a runway, ready to fly, landing gear is retracted. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

1) from going through things, I think we need to include the TOTAL wing area now and not just the top surface, so doubling those Surface Area values seems to display the sim forces in the right area on my native conversion.

2) Sorry haven't messed with Jets, sticking with Pistons

3)Hmm not seem this sorry.

keithb77
September 2nd, 2020, 18:13
Thank you very much for the files. It worked perfectly to get the bird in the game. My pleasure
3) The landing gear is fine when starting cold and dark (i.e. at a gate/ramp parking spot), but on a runway, ready to fly, landing gear is retracted. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?This happened to me following the latest patch...don't know if it was a one off or will happen again.CheersKeith

warchild
September 2nd, 2020, 19:39
Could someone help bring Mine and Roberts P-61s into MSFS?? I couldnt understand what needed to be done to do it..
Pam..

OzWookiee
September 2nd, 2020, 20:01
Could someone help bring Mine and Roberts P-61s into MSFS?? I couldnt understand what needed to be done to do it..
Pam..
I would be very happy to help with that!

Are you wanting to do a quick port over our a full native conversion?

I can have the port over done in an afternoon, full native takes a little longer 😁😁🛩️🛩️

Very happy to walk you through the process as well!

keithb77
September 3rd, 2020, 02:07
I would be very happy to help with that!

Are you wanting to do a quick port over our a full native conversion?

I can have the port over done in an afternoon, full native takes a little longer ️️

Very happy to walk you through the process as well!

Also happy to assist :)

Sundog
September 3rd, 2020, 09:32
You guys do know Dean is working on his P-61C and F-15 Reporter (Not to mention F-15 Eagle Package) for MSFS right now? I just wanted to give you guys a heads up. He has images of his Black Widow in MSFS at his Facebook page.

warchild
September 3rd, 2020, 10:04
You guys do know Dean is working on his P-61C and F-15 Reporter (Not to mention F-15 Eagle Package) for MSFS right now? I just wanted to give you guys a heads up. He has images of his Black Widow in MSFS at his Facebook page.

Yes of course. Dean and I put a lot of love into those P61C's and I love them dearly, But Robert and I and Paul Frimston put five years into the P-61Bs. While I can say that the P-61C is a superlative aircraft, I'm afraid that in my heart, nothing will ever come close to what we accomplished with the P-61B's even in their non-complete state. They are simply wonderful. But no, I cannot release them. Robert never gave permission and even though its been 8 years, I respect that he may finish them some day. My Flight models of course went on to power the P-61C's and F-15 Reporter/P-61E. I cannot recommend them enough, but my original love is the P-61B, and like all true Ladies, you need only meet one and everything else after that is just another plane.

centuryseries
September 3rd, 2020, 10:08

In the options under Flight model, it's possible to change it to 'FSX' settings, but in my experience, the plane flies even worse than default MSFS FSX import.

With regards the runway start- edit the runway.flt file and look for anything related to landing gear.

odourboy
September 3rd, 2020, 10:46
In the options under Flight model, it's possible to change it to 'FSX' settings, but in my experience, the plane flies even worse than default MSFS FSX import.

With regards the runway start- edit the runway.flt file and look for anything related to landing gear.

I couldn't even get it off the ground with the legacy flight model. :dizzy:

Tried editing the runway.flt... I'll go back and check it again.

Thanks for wading in!

UPDATE:
1) There are new tables in the flight_model.cfg called aileron, elevator, rudder and trim_elasticity_table; I was using the C4J values in here as a starting point and this was causing me issues. The aileron response is now peppy! Other issues with the other surfaces, but getting there.
3) Doh! I edited the runway.flt, then forget to include it in the aircraft folder. Helps when it's there!

OzWookiee
September 3rd, 2020, 14:04
Hey Sundog, I've spoken to Dean and he doesn't have time to do those conversions and was just playing around with the PlaneConverter (doesn't actually convert anything just creates the right folder structure) tool.

He is happy however for anyone else who might like to tackle their conversions (with due credit and notification of course) but has lost the original 3D Assets.

Sundog
September 3rd, 2020, 23:26
Hey Sundog, I've spoken to Dean and he doesn't have time to do those conversions and was just playing around with the PlaneConverter (doesn't actually convert anything just creates the right folder structure) tool.

He is happy however for anyone else who might like to tackle their conversions (with due credit and notification of course) but has lost the original 3D Assets.

Dang, I didn't know that. Well, hopefully someone brings them over. It's cool that he is open to letting someone bring them over to MSFS, though.

Ken

keithb77
September 4th, 2020, 02:09
https://cdn-thumbs.imagevenue.com/28/9b/cf/ME12DBSP_t.jpg (https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12DBSP)
Working well, full 3D cockpit with just a few little xml buttons to remove
Lands, brakes and taxi's nicely.No supersharger boost yet.
Cheers
Keith

odourboy
September 4th, 2020, 13:34
Make progress here:
https://i.postimg.cc/2jLbj2z5/Flight-Simulator-2020-09-04-17-07-48-78.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/PJDP6r6D/Flight-Simulator-2020-09-04-17-23-20-12.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/cH2vM8cZ/Flight-Simulator-2020-09-04-17-25-21-77.jpg

ak416
September 5th, 2020, 09:01
Anyone know what might be happening here with the textures? They all seem to be DXT5 .dds files, but I can't seem to get them to display properly. I am an extreme novice at this sort of thing so please forgive me if the answer is an obvious one.

Aircraft Factory P-51H

https://i.imgur.com/2MNtdvP.jpg

warchild
September 5th, 2020, 12:09
So, I'm more than a bit stumped guys. I have an mdl file I'd like to convert to gltf for fs2020 ( ok, I have a bunch of them ) but every time I try to use a converter I end up with an error regardless of the converter I use. Worse, it just says theres an error.. It doesnt give details.. I could use a clue and some advice..The aircraft all work in FSX and all versions of P3D through V5..

OzWookiee
September 5th, 2020, 13:49
So, I'm more than a bit stumped guys. I have an mdl file I'd like to convert to gltf for fs2020 ( ok, I have a bunch of them ) but every time I try to use a converter I end up with an error regardless of the converter I use. Worse, it just says theres an error.. It doesnt give details.. I could use a clue and some advice..The aircraft all work in FSX and all versions of P3D through V5..
At the moment the process of converting to glTF format is quite laborious especially when working from am MDL as all exporters cannot export animations. So we have to export to some other format like DAE or FBX then redo all the animations and hookups to the modeldef file and export to glTF.
Then we take that into MSFS via the packagetool and it will do some crunching to the file as well.
If you have the original 3D sources it's a bit easier as all the animations and naming is done so you just need to redo the textures.

warchild
September 5th, 2020, 14:44
At the moment the process of converting to glTF format is quite laborious especially when working from am MDL as all exporters cannot export animations. So we have to export to some other format like DAE or FBX then redo all the animations and hookups to the modeldef file and export to glTF.
Then we take that into MSFS via the packagetool and it will do some crunching to the file as well.
If you have the original 3D sources it's a bit easier as all the animations and naming is done so you just need to redo the textures.

No.. No. I dont have the original Source files.. That was Roberts world. I was just a number cruncher so I never needed them. He made the candy look wonderful, and I and Paul made it fly..

keithb77
September 6th, 2020, 01:48
Latest Development release of MCX reportedly supports gITF - see here (https://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/)

OzWookiee
September 6th, 2020, 01:56
Latest Development release of MCX reportedly supports gITF - see here (https://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/)
Does not support animations, but is an awesome tool for any developer who may have lost their original sources.

FlyingsCool
September 6th, 2020, 06:11

I assume that therefore means we can use MCX to (gonna have to change the name) to read MSFS models and paints, and can therefore use it to help test repaints?

It's not so bad using the Hangar, but it's a lot of clicks, having to change liveries and back again, switch to "airplane" mode, check it out, make a change, go through that process again... (especially when you're moving a mouse across a 55" screen back and forth between opposite corners (for some reason F12 doesn't bring up the Liveries option, I'll have to check my key bindings).

Took me 24 hours to create that C-152 repaint, back and forth, back and forth, "where's this section?"; I should notate my template so I know where all the various pieces are in the future... what a mess of a layout.

(P.S. I hate it when layouts "save space" by using reflected textures on both sides. It worked out ok on this one, except for one tiny little place, there's only a few locations reflected on this model (under the rear window, the door hinge screw covers, the doors a couple of others), but I could see it being a problem for some possibilities for this model).

DC1973
September 6th, 2020, 07:08
Pam..

It's all in the wrist Pam :) Flies well and all instruments working as they should be after conversion. Not native gLTF format but a port from the MDL file. Can't distribute for obvious reasons, but I'm sure Robert won't mind you having a copy if nobody's already done it for you?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78847&stc=1

warchild
September 6th, 2020, 09:40
@DC
I spoke with him the other night. I cant go into details though, but he does know i'm seeking to convert the old model and seems to be ok with it as he has zero interest in ms2020. So, A gentleman here who will also be helping me correct the flight model should it need it, made a basic port over of the mdl. and I installed it. It didnt run.
Last night he and I got together on discord and I shared my scren with him and we went through the installation. Turns out, My Game Pass installation was using directories that didnt even exist in his store bought version of the premium deluxe version.This told us that there are three separate versions of the game being installed. The Game Pass version can only be upgraded and the Premium Deluxe version upgrade for Game Pass is 89.00 dollars and contains a reduced number of aircraft and scenery's. It installs primarily in app data and a folder called wpsystem. The community folder is in app data. Store bought [rmium deluxe I believe installs where you tell it too.. and doesnt use one of the folders that the game pass version uses ( as we discovered last night. ). That was tellng as my game pass version placed a copy of the plane in a place that didnt exist for my friend. However, Fully converted liveries and aircraft do work, as I discovered by both aircraft and liveries I downloaded from FSAddon. It's only non-converted models that dont work.
Now; I want my babies in game. I want the P-61Bs and the P-61C's and the RF-61 and the Goose and the Optica, and several others I spent years with developing their flight models. I dont really care for a 787 and well, I'm sorry, I dont like Airbus. So I was faced with one of two choices. I could trash the entire Premium Deluxe Upgrade version of FS2020 and go back to X-Plane, never to see my babies again, Or I could trash the Premium Deluxe Upgrade version and buy the full Premium Deluxe version from Microsoft Store.
I miss my babies.
I bought the full Version, even though it will put me into some hardship for the next couple of months.. It should be finished installing by tonight, and then we'll try again..

P.S. So that rumors dont get started: No, Robert has not given me permission to release and distribute an MS2020 version of Our P-61 and I respect that. Should he ever give me permission then I will, since we made a promise to the good people of SOH back in 2010 to do so.

P.P.S. @DC, Your pics make me homesick ::LOL::: Maybe by tomorrow.. If not, I may be hitting you up for the port.

ak416
October 8th, 2020, 12:37
Some great progress has been made with the Legacy Importer tool by Alex Marco, having very good results now. You can dump the .air files and automatically add them into the appropriate .cfg files. It even has 2d gauge conversion (be sure to read the readme).

The latest version is always at the bottom of the files list
https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/117?tab=files

OzWookiee
October 8th, 2020, 15:15
Some great progress has been made with the Legacy Importer tool by Alex Marco, having very good results now. You can dump the .air files and automatically add them into the appropriate .cfg files. It even has 2d gauge conversion (be sure to read the readme).

The latest version is always at the bottom of the files list
https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/117?tab=files

Yes he's certainly done some incredible work with that tool.

62stratfan
November 7th, 2020, 15:31
GAS Waco UBF...
https://i.imgur.com/KeXDACb.jpg
The GAS A/C seem to do well in FS2020.

Dave Garwood Auster J1...
https://i.imgur.com/5BqG9fI.jpg
Very nice over South Wales.

A/C need a little tweaking, but actually are really impressive. I tried the Lionheart F24 but got a "interior mdl is not compatible" error. I used Plane Converter.

62stratfan

keithb77
November 8th, 2020, 03:32
If you have the FSX SDK (which is downloadable) you can use MCX to convert P3D MDLs to FSX.

The Auster is really nice, the radio even displays correctly - the only FSX import I've seen doing that!

And the GAS Stearman demo imports well too :)

62stratfan
November 8th, 2020, 12:13
I sure wish I knew how to do that. I'd definitely give it a try.

In the meantime, the GAS Fleet is another gem in FS2020...
https://i.imgur.com/USbtmIn.jpg

MSFS does not support the Configuration Manager, so only the canopied version will show.

62stratfan

Cazzie
November 9th, 2020, 04:32
Have a chat with Dean from DC Designs. He's converting his Eagle to this sim! :jump:

Priller

That's great to hear.

robcarrich
November 9th, 2020, 07:00
The Shackleton converts surprisingly well.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50583782721_b20c976e04_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50583048433_e06d276d50_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50583785456_3ab6f7bd96_b.jpg

Sundog
November 9th, 2020, 09:12
That looks awesome Rob.

Manschy
November 9th, 2020, 09:42
Beautiful! So hopeful we will get back lots of so important and valuable aircraft gems - but looking at this I am very optimistic!

keithb77
November 11th, 2020, 02:38
Manfred, I think this was one of your favourites...
Unfortunately only half the instruments work and no VTOL but it looks good (better than P3DV5...)

https://cdn-thumbs.imagevenue.com/82/96/26/ME12LKOC_t.jpg (https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12LKOC)
Click for bigger picture :) (Can't upload images to SOH again?)
Cheers
Keith

manfredc3
November 11th, 2020, 21:09
I am new to this, and jumped in the deep.

I converted a FSX Native plane
I used the MSFSLEGACYImporter (latest version).
Except for the navigation gauges (VOR) and radios, all gauges are working.
Breaks, flaps and gear are working fine as well, but...

none of the switches are functional (no working click spots). I can't even get the lights to turn on.

Is this a known issue, or is there something I am missing?
I watched a few youtube videos, but none show nor mention the switches in the cockpit.

Any reply would be highly appreciated.

keithb77
November 11th, 2020, 23:12
Manfred,
it's a bug introduced in the previous patch and not fixed in this one.
Originally cockpit click-spots worked but were badly positioned and there was one big spot covering the whole cockpit, apparently chosen at random.
Then they broke it and clicking crashed MSFS.
Then they fixed it, then they broke it and it's still broken.
Cheers
Keith

Manschy
November 12th, 2020, 02:00
Manfred, I think this was one of your favourites...
Unfortunately only half the instruments work and no VTOL but it looks good (better than P3DV5...)

https://cdn-thumbs.imagevenue.com/82/96/26/ME12LKOC_t.jpg (https://www.imagevenue.com/ME12LKOC)
Click for bigger picture :) (Can't upload images to SOH again?)
Cheers
Keith

https://media.tenor.com/images/5189846403ecf136d72e69302ae1d909/tenor.gif

Oh My Godness! Even if it is not perfect, I am satisfied that this will be possible near future! (included VTOL...)
Thank you so much for this appatizer! Did you manage it with "Legacy Importer"?

keithb77
November 12th, 2020, 07:54
Yes, so far I've just done the '5 minute conversion' - more effort should improve the flight model but I doubt we will ever have VTOL.
And in fact buying the old girl has pushed me beck to P3D for a while - I resurrected P3DV2 and everything on the Harrier works :) (V5 not so good)

I've posted 3 comparison videos - same plane, same Welsh valley, 3 sims. The videos illustrate
a, the differences between the sims
b, the poor performance of my elderly system :(
https://youtu.be/m2m_i--qo6Y
https://youtu.be/MMcL_tt5-1I
https://youtu.be/J-UUD25sT9c

There are also videos of the Razbam Harrier in MSFS on my channel, that one does STOL but not VTOL, but even less of the instruments work.
Cheers
Keith

Inductotherm
November 12th, 2020, 09:11
Assuming there is no way to get the shackleton? I need one multi engine prop for msfs2020 thats not a turbo unless its the dash 7. I miss the old school flying. Any ideas of anything we can get?

keithb77
November 12th, 2020, 09:24
I think it's just an import so if you have the FSX Shackleton you can do it yourself...
I've imported the First Class Lancaster, I think the Flight Replicas DC4 and Liberator import well, I know the Heron does.
The A2A Boeing 377 worked for a while.
There are several old twins too.
Cheers
Keith

Tom Clayton
November 12th, 2020, 10:33
I'm still hoping for an L-1049 or even the L-1649. With either of those, I might not ever fly anything else!:jump:

manfredc3
November 12th, 2020, 15:08
Manfred,
it's a bug introduced in the previous patch and not fixed in this one.
Originally cockpit click-spots worked but were badly positioned and there was one big spot covering the whole cockpit, apparently chosen at random.
Then they broke it and clicking crashed MSFS.
Then they fixed it, then they broke it and it's still broken.
Cheers
Keith

Thanks for the reply, Keith.

At least I know I wasn't doing something wrong.

Guess the waiting continues for that fix.

manfredc3
November 12th, 2020, 15:17
I'm still hoping for an L-1049 or even the L-1649. With either of those, I might not ever fly anything else!:jump:

I would LOVE to see a Connie in FS2020.

jankees
November 15th, 2020, 01:05
From FB and DC Designs.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! DC Designs freeware is coming to MSFS!

I'm not impatient, but I am getting fed up with GA only in MSFS.. how is this coming along? Maybe you need more textures...?

DC1973
November 15th, 2020, 03:54
I'm not impatient, but I am getting fed up with GA only in MSFS.. how is this coming along? Maybe you need more textures...?

They're on their way Jan, it's being handled by some very devoted fans who are becoming experts at native conversions of freeware. I've seen their work and it's awesome, full native behavior file coding, PBR, sound, you name it. I believe they have now started on the RF-61 and P-61, or are imminently about to.

ETA: I also have a P-47 Thunderbolt lined up for Q2 2021. So many planes I want to do, so little time...

DaveWG
November 15th, 2020, 06:34
Couple of port-overs that work quite well.

JF Zero
https://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/JFZero1.jpg

https://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/JFZero2.jpg

Gauges are 3d, so are OK. Internal canopy glass needed lightening.
https://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/Camel1.jpg

DaveWG
November 15th, 2020, 06:37
Classic Wings Sopwith Camel

https://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/camel1.jpg

https://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/Camel2.jpg

https://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/Camel3.jpg

All gauges 3d. Windscreen needed a texture. Flight model - unflyable! Had to do some serious butchery to get it flying (Sorry Pam!).

beercan
November 26th, 2020, 05:16
A2A J3

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80095&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80096&stc=1

A2A P47D

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80097&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80098&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80099&stc=1

Navy Chief
November 26th, 2020, 17:34
If a payware app that does the conversion process becomes available, I'd buy it! NC

OzWookiee
November 26th, 2020, 17:41
If a payware app that does the conversion process becomes available, I'd buy it! NC
Legacy converter works really well these days however, port-overs will remain limited with various non-solvable issues.

kbt
November 26th, 2020, 23:48
Test release of WP-3D version 0.9 (size 187MB/644MB)
This model has been re-edited and refurbished in GMAX for MSFS. However, it does not have the same gimmick as the conventional model.
Since it is intended to be merged with Beechcraft VC, this model has two of the four engines dummy. In a sense, it will be a dedicated model, so it is better not to use it in FSX or P3D.
In the future, when MSFS has four turboprop engines, these P-3s may be edited again.
As for the sounds, the sounds of C-130BASE of P3DV4 is specified in layout.json. This sounds is not included in the package, so please prepare and install it yourself. If you do not have this sound files, please apply another sound files.
Includes a cockpit red ambient effect and an effect that enhances the ground reflection of the navigation light, which does not exist by default.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CZ-6vF6XvXri7qGKI92h38PI8J3E-YLL?usp=sharing

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80119&stc=1

jankees
November 27th, 2020, 00:38
Paul's Duck works reasonably well, although it is very nosedown in the water, and I can pull the gear up, but not get it down..

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50652154741_0effd95358_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kaXwUM)jk9036 (https://flic.kr/p/2kaXwUM)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50652241747_0ccff1b449_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kaXYLT)jk9033 (https://flic.kr/p/2kaXYLT)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50652154641_8d30292243_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kaXwT4)jk9050 (https://flic.kr/p/2kaXwT4)

Also strange, on Murphy's duck the wings are very shiny, but not on the USNavy one?

Tom Clayton
November 27th, 2020, 08:44
If you're talking about lowering the gear while you're on water, that's a known issue - the Icon has the same problem.

kbt
November 29th, 2020, 02:51
Test release of WP-3D version 0.9 (size 187MB/644MB)
This model has been re-edited and refurbished in GMAX for MSFS. However, it does not have the same gimmick as the conventional model.
Since it is intended to be merged with Beechcraft VC, this model has two of the four engines dummy. In a sense, it will be a dedicated model, so it is better not to use it in FSX or P3D.
In the future, when MSFS has four turboprop engines, these P-3s may be edited again.
As for the sounds, the sounds of C-130BASE of P3DV4 is specified in layout.json. This sounds is not included in the package, so please prepare and install it yourself. If you do not have this sound files, please apply another sound files.
Includes a cockpit red ambient effect and an effect that enhances the ground reflection of the navigation light, which does not exist by default.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CZ-6vF6XvXri7qGKI92h38PI8J3E-YLL?usp=sharing

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80119&stc=1

For those who have already installed this model.
There are changes to each coordinate of the light. Please change to the following contents.

systems.cfg

[LIGHTS]

lightdef.0 = Type:6#Index:0#LocalPosition:29.0,-0.70,-2.2#LocalRotation:-12,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_Landing#Node:#Potent iometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_Taxi;
lightdef.1 = Type:6#Index:0#LocalPosition:29.0,0.70,-2.2#LocalRotation:-12,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_Landing#Node:#Potent iometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_Taxi;
lightdef.2 = Type:5#Index:0#LocalPosition:-4.8,-25.00,0.50#LocalRotation:-10,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_Landing#Node:#Potent iometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_Landing ;
lightdef.3 = Type:5#Index:0#LocalPosition:-4.8,25.00,0.50#LocalRotation:-10,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_Landing#Node:#Potent iometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_Landing ;
lightdef.4 = Type:13#Index:0#LocalPosition:31.57,-0.40,4.970#LocalRotation:0,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_AS OBO_CockpitMinimalAmbiant_red#Node:#PotentiometerI ndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_CockpitMinimalAmbiant_re d;
lightdef.5 = Type:13#Index:0#LocalPosition:31.57,0.40,4.970#Loc alRotation:0,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_CockpitMin imalAmbiant_red#Node:#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh: LIGHT_ASOBO_CockpitMinimalAmbiant_red;
lightdef.6 = Type:3#Index:0#LocalPosition:-0.30,-51.9,4.36#LocalRotation:0,-30,30#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_NavigationRed_int02#N ode:#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_Navig ationRed_int02;
lightdef.7 = Type:3#Index:0#LocalPosition:-0.30,51.9,4.36#LocalRotation:0,30,-30#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_NavigationGreen_int02#No de:#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_Naviga tionGreen_int02;
lightdef.8 = Type:13#Index:0#LocalPosition:22.07,1.00,4.270#Loc alRotation:0,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_CockpitMin imalAmbiantLarge#Node:#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh :LIGHT_ASOBO_CockpitMinimalAmbiantLarge;
lightdef.9 = Type:13#Index:0#LocalPosition:22.07,-1.00,4.270#LocalRotation:0,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_AS OBO_CockpitMinimalAmbiantLarge#Node:#Potentiometer Index:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_CockpitMinimalAmbiantLa rge;
lightdef.10 = Type:13#Index:0#LocalPosition:22.07,2.00,4.270#Loc alRotation:0,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_CockpitMin imalAmbiantLarge#Node:#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh :LIGHT_ASOBO_CockpitMinimalAmbiantLarge;
lightdef.11 = Type:13#Index:0#LocalPosition:22.07,-2.00,4.270#LocalRotation:0,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_AS OBO_CockpitMinimalAmbiantLarge#Node:#Potentiometer Index:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_CockpitMinimalAmbiantLa rge;
lightdef.12 = Type:1#Index:0#LocalPosition:-16.59,0.0,-1.8#LocalRotation:0,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_Bea conTop#Node:#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASO BO_BeaconTop ;
lightdef.13 = Type:1#Index:0#LocalPosition:-22.31,0.0,10.4#LocalRotation:0,0,0#EffectFile:LIGH T_ASOBO_BeaconTop#Node:#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMes h:LIGHT_ASOBO_BeaconTop ;
lightdef.14 = Type:2#Index:0#LocalPosition:-16.59,0.0,-1.7#LocalRotation:90,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_St robeSimple#Node:#PotentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT _ASOBO_StrobeSimple ;
lightdef.15 = Type:2#Index:0#LocalPosition:-22.31,0.0,10.3#LocalRotation:-90,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_StrobeSimple#Node:#P otentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_StrobeSimpl e ;
lightdef.16 = Type:2#Index:0#LocalPosition:-16.59,0.0,-1.7#LocalRotation:-90,0,0#EffectFile:LIGHT_ASOBO_StrobeSimple#Node:#P otentiometerIndex:1#EmMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_StrobeSimpl e ;
lightdef.17 = Type:2#Index:0#LocalPosition:-22.31,0.0,10.3#LocalRotation:90,0,0#EffectFile:LIG HT_ASOBO_StrobeSimple#Node:#PotentiometerIndex:1#E mMesh:LIGHT_ASOBO_StrobeSimple ;

jankees
November 29th, 2020, 02:58
If you're talking about lowering the gear while you're on water, that's a known issue - the Icon has the same problem.

no, the gear won't come down at all (yet), but who wants to land anyway?

jankees
November 29th, 2020, 07:14
A2A P47D

mm, no luck with the P-47 on my end...how did you do it?

The P-36 however works just fine
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50661115646_4410e4bc0c_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kbKsF9)jk9116 (https://flic.kr/p/2kbKsF9)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50661207647_feb23a9ad0_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kbKW2n)jk9117 (https://flic.kr/p/2kbKW2n)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50661207562_1a7e09fd2a_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kbKVZU)jk9140 (https://flic.kr/p/2kbKVZU)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50661207537_94cbe581ea_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kbKVZt)jk9141 (https://flic.kr/p/2kbKVZt)

beercan
November 29th, 2020, 09:36
With a little work

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80148&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80147&stc=1

beercan
November 29th, 2020, 09:38
With hard work

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80149&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80150&stc=1

beercan
November 29th, 2020, 09:42
With even more work

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80151&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80152&stc=1

Priller
November 29th, 2020, 12:26
With hard work

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80149&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80150&stc=1

Beercan,

Would you mind telling us the hard work you put into this to make it work? I would love to have the Bronco in the sim!

Priller

Tom Clayton
November 30th, 2020, 09:25
I'd smack my own brother (if I had one) to get something with that kind of visibility!

Spook48
December 1st, 2020, 04:55
the twotter looks nice aswell

banjoman1960
December 1st, 2020, 11:00
have one of my Favorite back:encouragement:

jankees
December 1st, 2020, 13:53
I have a few aircraft that I tried to bring to MSFS that have very shiny or opaque windows. Does anyone know a solution? I was unsuccessful so far..

keithb77
December 1st, 2020, 23:53
I have a few aircraft that I tried to bring to MSFS that have very shiny or opaque windows. Does anyone know a solution? I was unsuccessful so far..

I've fixed a few, either by replacing the transparent glass texture with one known to work, or by setting the material to 'default transparent' in MCX.
Or by editing the DDS alpha channel directly in gimp/paint.net

Which are you having problems with?

Cheers
Keith

jankees
December 3rd, 2020, 04:39
the Aerosoft PBY Catalina and the A2A Corsair for starters.
I'm especially missing the Catalina...

keithb77
December 3rd, 2020, 08:49
the Aerosoft PBY Catalina and the A2A Corsair for starters.
I'm especially missing the Catalina...
The Catalina I've done, it's very nice in MSFS especially the older military variant, maybe a little underpowered which can be fixed in the aircraft.cfg.
I think I replaced the glass texture with one I knew worked but it was quite a while ago and I'm away from home for a few days.
I can check tuesday...
Cheers
Keith

jankees
December 6th, 2020, 01:03
The Flight Replicas Bf-109G converts quite nicely:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50685900051_088ea6f734_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kdWudt)jk9370 (https://flic.kr/p/2kdWudt)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50685145548_7dd3858f0c_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kdSBVN)jk9372 (https://flic.kr/p/2kdSBVN)

and although the FR B-24 looks very nice, I could not get the engines to start...
But the old Alphasim B-24 did start. No instruments however..

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50685984257_81a797f369_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kdWVfi)jk9357 (https://flic.kr/p/2kdWVfi)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50685984292_5fc583a13e_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kdWVfU)jk9355 (https://flic.kr/p/2kdWVfU)

and the Vertigo P8F seems to work well, but with very dull textures..
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50685976227_9cb46ea868_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kdWSRR)jk9385 (https://flic.kr/p/2kdWSRR)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50685888996_a0dfdcb21c_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kdWqVS)jk9346 (https://flic.kr/p/2kdWqVS)

keithb77
December 6th, 2020, 07:28
and although the FR B-24 looks very nice, I could not get the engines to start..
Did you make a runway.flt file for it?
I did and all four engines run fine for me.
Seems to me there is a lot of duplication in the texture folders, going to look into using textures.cfg's to address that - had to create one for each of your B-24D repaints :)

The BF-109G just has one panel blemish - the ball is crossed out...would be nice to be rid of that.

Cheers
Keith

jankees
December 6th, 2020, 08:12
Did you make a runway.flt file for it?

I have no idea what you mean?
Mind you, I can paint a bit, but when it comes to the modelling part, I know next to nothing..

a few more I have flying:
Dave's Mosquito minus the instruments
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50687084927_4b7de46962_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ke3yrn)jk9457 (https://flic.kr/p/2ke3yrn)

and Milton's Marauder, minus instrument panel and minus the crew
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50686245548_8b9ec4ddf6_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kdYfVj)jk9426 (https://flic.kr/p/2kdYfVj)

still, looks nice..

keithb77
December 6th, 2020, 08:35
I have no idea what you mean?
On the legacy importer, once you have clicked the Import button an extra set of tabs appear, select the Runway one and select all elements.
This should create a runway.flt file that tells MSFS to start the engines when you begin a flight :)

Pretty sure I have instruments in DaveG's Mosquito (and Beaufighter) - are they covered by white circles?
If so it's just a transparency issue again.
I should be home tomorrow and can post the fix I used.

Cheers
Keith

DaveWG
December 6th, 2020, 09:12
My Mossie & Beau both have fully modelled instruments so they should work fine. As Keith had said, it's probably the glass texture over the instruments that's the problem.

Edit:
https://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/MossieVC.jpg

Works fine here. Make sure you convert the "gauge highlight.bmp" to dds though.

Snurdley
December 6th, 2020, 11:42
This Mossie looked great before, but now looks better than ever in MSFS. :)

https://i.imgur.com/vop7Gti.jpg

jankees
December 6th, 2020, 11:44
I agree!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50687000176_fdfc72649b_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ke38f9)jk9450 (https://flic.kr/p/2ke38f9)

GO_Navy
December 6th, 2020, 12:44
Dino's great FSX/P3D jets ported over. Still working on getting the HUDs to work in either.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80288&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80287&stc=1

jankees
December 7th, 2020, 11:22
On the legacy importer, once you have clicked the Import button an extra set of tabs appear, select the Runway one and select all elements.
This should create a runway.flt file that tells MSFS to start the engines when you begin a flight :)

Pretty sure I have instruments in DaveG's Mosquito (and Beaufighter) - are they covered by white circles?
If so it's just a transparency issue again.
I should be home tomorrow and can post the fix I used.

Cheers
Keith

It worked for the Liberator!
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50691421273_cb170afb70_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2keqMtX)jk9472 (https://flic.kr/p/2keqMtX)

but for the Mossie I still have to find the right conversion
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50692250297_58712bd1a5_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kev2Vt)jk9489 (https://flic.kr/p/2kev2Vt)

Mach3DS
December 7th, 2020, 19:05
I would like to convert the XF-92A to MSFS use. Can someone help point me in the right direction? I'm quite lost in all the conversions/tools. What are people using. Perhaps a dedicated thread about converting might be useful. I can start one if needed...

keithb77
December 8th, 2020, 00:18
Use the MSFS Legacy Importer by TheAlx from https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/117?tab=files

There are lots of tutorials about but at the base level it's very simple.
For best results you need an FSX-native model with 3D gauges (ie not GAU and not XML)

Supersonic flight doesn't work BTW.

Cheers
Keith

DaveWG
December 8th, 2020, 01:06
Be aware that the legacy importer doesn't convert the models, so they are still in fsx format. You won't be able to have pbr textures, also the bump maps don't work.

Mach3DS
December 8th, 2020, 09:04
Thanks guys. I guess there's no point then...I lost the PBR converted model I made when I lost my HDD prior to my new build and Milton (I believe) is only working in FSX at this time. Plus the VC uses .gau gauges and not 3D gauges....and the whole thing is XML coded. lol.....oh well..that beauty will have to be relegated back into the annals of history...again! Was fun while it lasted!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/626650252363038721/785929485186236436/2018-4-10_22-30-0-825_41338548582_o.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/626650252363038721/785929487208153102/2019-1-5_0-57-39-123_45886887474_o.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/626650252363038721/785929488704995378/2018-4-10_15-41-6-627_40480531035_o.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/626650252363038721/785929490819711047/2018-4-10_15-41-45-30_39566284410_o.jpg

DC1973
December 8th, 2020, 09:56
Thanks guys. I guess there's no point then...I lost the PBR converted model I made when I lost my HDD prior to my new build and Milton (I believe) is only working in FSX at this time. Plus the VC uses .gau gauges and not 3D gauges....and the whole thing is XML coded. lol.....oh well..that beauty will have to be relegated back into the annals of history...again! Was fun while it lasted!

Fear not! You can still convert your aircraft to MSFS format, and your XML code will still work - however a quick buzz through the converter won't be possible. Conversion to gLTF isn't too horrendous though, and creating Lvars for your custom code using the new "modelbehaviors" method in MSFS is tough to learn but once you get the hang of it things come together pretty quickly. I see no reason why you couldn't bring this beautiful bit of work into MSFS - just seeing all that metal surely would be reason enough :encouragement:

Mach3DS
December 8th, 2020, 10:22
That is great news! But I'm no coder! I will gladly do the texture conversions though. I made the originals and still have all the original PSD's. But I'm not skilled in the model or coding department.

Mach3DS
December 8th, 2020, 10:32
So looking at this "tool" it appears beyond my pay grade....not sure how it's supposed to be used? I would love to work on this project with someone who has more technical knowledge on how to bring it into the sim. I can work the textures after that. But this is great news that it can be done.

EDIT: This is where I'm start making the winking plea for wizards like those who hang around here...gman, century series, bomber... you know who you are! Who doesn't like pro-bono work for an early heavy metal jet!? LOL.

This would actually give me a chance to make new normals for the bumps.

keithb77
December 12th, 2020, 00:06
Whilst waiting for the Goose :)
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80359&stc=1

jankees
December 12th, 2020, 01:15
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50709379412_ed224eee04_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kg1PP3)jk9736 (https://flic.kr/p/2kg1PP3)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50709379362_17ebbcf6c7_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kg1PNb)jk9745 (https://flic.kr/p/2kg1PNb)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50709294461_0b069ae5c9_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kg1oyn)jk9757 (https://flic.kr/p/2kg1oyn)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50708560843_c78e041e08_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kfWCtM)jk9772 (https://flic.kr/p/2kfWCtM)

Snurdley
December 12th, 2020, 10:18
I only got one shot of the Flight Replicas P-40N, I was having too much fun. It ports very well, with some minor glass issues, but I've never had such a squirrelly, or more realistic takeoff and landing. It felt ALIVE!! And I had to "fly" this thing from taxi to shut down, just like the real deal.
Also got my beloved Hellcat in the sim. It has a droopy elevator, and can't get rid of the bombs, but otherwise does okay.

https://i.imgur.com/oUGroep.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eC95a4L.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/P0Mc9zn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tv4qrOB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p6T1gCm.jpg

warchild
December 14th, 2020, 15:08
https://i.imgur.com/Ur4WInC.png

pilto von pilto
December 17th, 2020, 12:52
So the question is... with all these legacy imports is there a reason for devs to
a. Make dedicated models of the models already converted for PC users ?
b. Bother in making dedicated models at all if people are converting legacy models over for PC users ?

reason I ask is you never see screenshots of the interiors. ( dedicated or legacy ) It seems to me, that is the way MSFS is being used, as a showcase of exterior models with a nice backdrop. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with that just it's a bit odd. Currently I think most devs would agree that the MSFS workflow is fine and dandy, but differs so greatly from ESP based workflow that it is adding double the time to dev time.

I'm sure this will trigger someone out there, so this post was not aimed at anyone in general it was only a comment on the current community climate and am genuinely interested in peoples opinions on the need for dedicated models for PC.

OzWookiee
December 17th, 2020, 13:24
So the question is... with all these legacy imports is there a reason for devs to
a. Make dedicated models of the models already converted for PC users ?
b. Bother in making dedicated models at all if people are converting legacy models over for PC users ?

Legacy conversions are toys at best and have many many issues, so yes plenty of reasons for Devs to update and complete native conversions.
Also legacy conversions don't get all the new bells and whistles like interactive checklist and PBR, so a native will always look better.
However there is also a significant quality difference between default FSX and default MSFS so that requires additional work for anyone doing native conversions. They take longer then the 30 mins it takes to do a port over. I've been working on the Goose native conversion for over a month now and I have an initial release I want to get out for Christmas but still so much to do until a final release.

Quality takes time.

DennyA
December 17th, 2020, 14:50
Converted portover planes are full of quirks, they don't get the MSFS flight model, they have sound issues, etc.

I wish everyone wasn't as mercenary about rivet-counting native MSFS planes so we could get some true ports of FSX classic. I'd be okay with lower-res textures and more basic detail to fly some true ports (IE: 3D model processed in MSFS tools, MSFS flight model, but not the same level of visual fidelity as a from-scratch MSFS plane) of classic 50's jets, etc.

But having tried the automatic converter on some FSX/P3D favorites, having an automated portover being possible in NO way affects my desire for a real MSFS version of that plane. I don't want to deal with repeating sounds, broken switches, inaccurate flight models, and all the other cruddy experience stuff that comes from using the portover tools to bring in FSX models.

pilto von pilto
December 17th, 2020, 18:57
Sorry should have clarified the statement a little. Or add to it.
Say a dev is looking at making a westland lysander.

That dev currently has 2 branches to take. ESP ( fsx <> p3d materials are a thing but not as big as totally different game!! ) or MSFS.
Now if the community as a whole seems to be ok with lower resolution models that are meant for ESP based games then why would that dev make a dedicated version ? ROI being what it is, a fsx port /FSX native / P3d native development has to be the better bet in the PC space.

@DennyA : I'm confused by ports and portovers. A port to me is FSX MDL > GLTF without touching any source files. A portover is the same. When you say " true ports of FSX classic" are you talking about the source files being modified and output directly to GLTF? That makes it a dedicated model or at the least a hybrid doesnt it ?

Sure is tough to work out what the community expects nowadays! :dizzy:

Daube
December 18th, 2020, 01:28
Community expects planes that work.
Ports or port-overs, call them as you wish, don't work.
They more or less move in the new sim, they can even look quite good, but they don't work, they miss instruments, gauges, modules etc... which makes them unusable most of the times, excepted for screenshots.

jankees
December 18th, 2020, 05:51
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50732432188_308261a261_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ki3YAG)jk9806 (https://flic.kr/p/2ki3YAG)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50733263527_81b7883aa2_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ki8eJ8)jk9802 (https://flic.kr/p/2ki8eJ8)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50732432198_85ed266a3a_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ki3YAS)jk9803 (https://flic.kr/p/2ki3YAS)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50732432093_f215136bf8_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ki3Yz4)jk9809 (https://flic.kr/p/2ki3Yz4)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50733162911_e194faf3c6_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ki7HPn)jk9811 (https://flic.kr/p/2ki7HPn)

regarding Pilto's question:
what a developer makes is up to the developer of course. Me, I would love, for instance, to have this B-24 (portover from Flight Replicas) with all the bells and whistles, animations and what have you, in a native MSFS model. It would be an instant buy for me. Not so for P3D/FSX, I would never buy it, since I do not plan to go back there. As long as there is no native MSFS B-24, I'm perfectly happy flying this portover, even more than flying the other fully native aircraft than come with MSFS, since I'm not interested in tubes or GA. But hey, that's just me.
So I would say, yes, develop native MSFS models, even if a port is already available, as long as we're talking warbirds (or aircraft with large radial engines..)

keithb77
December 18th, 2020, 07:31
Splitting hares, I'd say the FR Liberator and most of the pics posted here, are imports (done with the Legacy Importer solely for personal use) rather then port-overs where someone has done actual texture conversion (to GItF or whatever) and custom gauges/sounds/fm, with a view to some sort of publishing.

Imports are definitely stop-gaps, though some stop-gaps in the real world lasted for decades.
That said, the VC of (eg) the Liberator is pretty **** good, the gauges work with just a couple of glitches than can be smoothed out.
Looks better to me than in P3DV5... FR have themselves published VC screenshots on their FB page.
https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/118962254_3805354352864491_5883261957430357926_o.j pg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=eOPVJbIBcycAX9JQvsU&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-2.fna&oh=130932ec8440a6dd4a479e3b8203d71d&oe=60045413
Radio/autopilot/switchology has to be done via the keyboard until (if) Asobo reinstate keypresses for legacy models.
Sounds are better now, I don't get repeating sounds anymore.

I did actually buy the Lib to use mostly in MSFS (and the DC4 and the 109) but that's just me.
Mostly imports are for those aircraft that will take a long time if ever to be released as MSFS native, not forgetting the Microsoft ban on visible weapons for an aircraft to be listed on the MS Store (where most sales will occur).

Cheers
Keith

DC1973
December 18th, 2020, 09:27
I fully support OzWookie's comments. Straight ports from FSX are easy but heavily lacking in pretty much everything. A full conversion, with necessary improvements, takes a long time - three months for my F-15 Eagles so far, and they're not quite finished yet. More complex aircraft would of course take even longer.

The results are worth it though. I see no real difference between the thousands of purposefully freeware-developed aircraft for FSX, and the ports now appearing in MSFS: for those who have limited finances or simply don't want to pay, ports provide a welcome change to the sim's stock aircraft. A fully native aircraft though is, in comparison, worth its weight in gold, just as it always was, and will be sought out by fans of that aircraft type. The more there are, the more choice there will be, and the more users who will come to our hobby when they find out their favourite aircraft has finally arrived :)

Mach3DS
December 18th, 2020, 10:47
I fully support OzWookie's comments. Straight ports from FSX are easy but heavily lacking in pretty much everything. A full conversion, with necessary improvements, takes a long time - three months for my F-15 Eagles so far, and they're not quite finished yet. More complex aircraft would of course take even longer.

The results are worth it though. I see no real difference between the thousands of purposefully freeware-developed aircraft for FSX, and the ports now appearing in MSFS: for those who have limited finances or simply don't want to pay, ports provide a welcome change to the sim's stock aircraft. A fully native aircraft though is, in comparison, worth its weight in gold, just as it always was, and will be sought out by fans of that aircraft type. The more there are, the more choice there will be, and the more users who will come to our hobby when they find out their favourite aircraft has finally arrived :)

Yes, Yes...but the REAL question is, when is that YT-1300 going to make it's debut???? :D

pilto von pilto
December 18th, 2020, 11:03
I'm obviously completely different to everyone else out there when it comes to this and it was good to get a better gauge of what is considered normal practice. So thanks for a flameless discussion - getting rare in this day and age. :encouragement:

2021 is going to be an interesting year.

DC1973
December 18th, 2020, 11:47
Yes, Yes...but the REAL question is, when is that YT-1300 going to make it's debut???? :D

Ha! Did you know that I actually converted it briefly just to test what it would look like in MSFS - it looked awesome!!

Need to steady the boat in MSFS first though with some serious releases, then I can think about bringing that hunk of junk in :)

Mach3DS
December 18th, 2020, 11:52
Ha! Did you know that I actually converted it briefly just to test what it would look like in MSFS - it looked awesome!!

Need to steady the boat in MSFS first though with some serious releases, then I can think about bringing that hunk of junk in :)

PUH-LEASE! Have you seen that thing IRL?? (movies) it's barely held together with duct tape and couple power converters that even LUKE couldn't screw up! HAHA..... I think any release for MSFS would be in the wheel house of reality.... LOL But, I understand. I was mostly in jest.

DennyA
December 18th, 2020, 13:07
I know you're focused hard on the F-15 right now, but just curious... I thought you mentioned a while back you might update your P-61 for MSFS? If I had that along with Dino's MB-339, I'd be content for a good long time. :)

(Also: I would pay for it, if you've considered a commercial version.)

firerx
December 18th, 2020, 14:51
I know you're focused hard on the F-15 right now, but just curious... I thought you mentioned a while back you might update your P-61 for MSFS? If I had that along with Dino's MB-339, I'd be content for a good long time. :)

+1 for the P-61 :applause:

DC1973
December 18th, 2020, 22:55

OzWookie is involved in converting both the P-61C and RF-61 to MSFS as freeware, not sure on their progress at this time though as he's busy with all sorts of things right now. I'd love to do a commercial version too, but it's some way off at the moment.

DennyA
December 20th, 2020, 13:27
That's awesome news!

OzWookiee
December 20th, 2020, 13:37
OzWookie is involved in converting both the P-61C and RF-61 to MSFS as freeware, not sure on their progress at this time though as he's busy with all sorts of things right now. I'd love to do a commercial version too, but it's some way off at the moment.

Well once we get this initial release done for the Goose and out the door for Christmas, we're going to try and be organised and setup a calendar of aircraft for the new year. Deano is right that I have a fair amount on my plate and it looks like I've just got another couple goodies put under my Christmas tree maybe so 2021 is going to be a VERY full year.

As Dean is planning on doing a commericial version of the 61, our team will not be doing as complete a make-over as we have with the Goose, however it will still be a full native conversion with full PBR and updated flight model from Pam "warchild" Booker :)

Some quick crystal ball gazing and MAYBE an Easter Release for the 61s?

FlyingsCool
December 22nd, 2020, 05:49
Nice!

Thank you

Hope you're having a good holiday

jankees
December 23rd, 2020, 03:10
here's another that ports quite nicely: the AH Helldiver
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50750809071_2a58b00e53_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kjFapv)jk9982 (https://flic.kr/p/2kjFapv)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50750066728_9c8beac020_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kjBmJu)jk9979 (https://flic.kr/p/2kjBmJu)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50750066648_a1cac39f13_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kjBmH7)jk9984 (https://flic.kr/p/2kjBmH7)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50750911132_1c7fb1e457_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kjFFKb)jk9985 (https://flic.kr/p/2kjFFKb)

Dangerous Beans
December 24th, 2020, 14:16
Anyone had any luck flying legacy planes in VR ?
The ones i've tried that work any fly fine in pancake mode cause a CTD the moment I try to enter VR.

tankerguy72
December 24th, 2020, 16:46
Anyone had any luck flying legacy planes in VR ?
The ones i've tried that work any fly fine in pancake mode cause a CTD the moment I try to enter VR.

Sim crashes for me also with Legacy aircraft in VR

jankees
December 26th, 2020, 05:50
another portover takes to the sky in msfs:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50762590901_85d301a90e_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kkHxJv)jk10275 (https://flic.kr/p/2kkHxJv)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50762590816_c4ce94ac7a_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kkHxH3)jk10276 (https://flic.kr/p/2kkHxH3)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50762591006_72048b6320_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kkHxLj)jk10271 (https://flic.kr/p/2kkHxLj)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50762703357_8fc4252a6b_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kkJ8ap)jk10269 (https://flic.kr/p/2kkJ8ap)

K5083
December 26th, 2020, 08:50
So, I just bought myself FS2020 yesterday and of course the first thing I'm doing, before I've even logged 2 hours in the air, is converting legacy models.

I have one question that has been asked a here and not usefully answered. When basically everything works except that the cockpit and gauge glass is opaque or semi-opaque, what's the best thing to replace the glass texture with? So far the closest thing to a helpful answer has been, "I replace it with a texture I know works." What is that texture? I.e. what are the R, G, B, and Alpha values?

The Golden Age Sims planes are a good example. I've converted the Finch and Waco UBF so far, and the only issue is milky windscreen, canopy and gauge glass. How did you guys fix that?

August

Sundog
December 26th, 2020, 12:37
I've seen about four different Legacy Importer links. Can someone tell me which one is the best, as I need some legacy aircraft? Also, is there a reason people aren't uploading updated freeware that has been converted? Especially the people who made it originally and are already flying a converted version? I'm inclined to see if I can get the DCB Fokker T.5 in here, now that it's been released. I just don't like flying P3D anymore, because MSFS runs so much better for me and P3D looks kind of like a cartoon to me now by comparison. Ken (Also, does anyone know how to make Firefox leave line breaks in posts?)

OzWookiee
December 26th, 2020, 12:45
I've seen about four different Legacy Importer links. Can someone tell me which one is the best, as I need some legacy aircraft? Also, is there a reason people aren't uploading updated freeware that has been converted? Especially the people who made it originally and are already flying a converted version? I'm inclined to see if I can get the DCB Fokker T.5 in here, now that it's been released. I just don't like flying P3D anymore, because MSFS runs so much better for me and P3D looks kind of like a cartoon to me now by comparison. Ken (Also, does anyone know how to make Firefox leave line breaks in posts?)

Hey champ, no one is posting links because they are not the original developer of the aircraft.

As for converter you want NSFSLegacyImporter: https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/117

Sundog
December 26th, 2020, 13:05
Hey champ, no one is posting links because they are not the original developer of the aircraft. As for converter you want NSFSLegacyImporter: https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/117 My bad, I thought DWG developed the Mossie.

Manschy
December 26th, 2020, 13:25
Are there any good tutorials that especially shows how to convert gauges / animations? As soon as it is possible to me understanding how to get my goodies into MSFS, I am sure I will give it a try.
Oh, how about converting legacy helicopter? Does anybody know if this is possible, please?

Sundog
December 26th, 2020, 13:39
Are there any good tutorials that especially shows how to convert gauges / animations? As soon as it is possible to me understanding how to get my goodies into MSFS, I am sure I will give it a try. Oh, how about converting legacy helicopter? Does anybody know if this is possible, please? Helicopters don't work yet, as there isn't a helo flight model in the new sim. My understanding is it is coming next year. I know the program OzWookie recommended just above has video tutorial links in the read me, but I don't know if they cover what you're looking for. I'm going to watch those next. Ken

Manschy
December 26th, 2020, 14:09
Thank you, Ken!

DaveWG
December 26th, 2020, 22:48
My bad, I thought DWG developed the Mossie.

I did, but I'm not going to upload an imported version. When I do it will be a proper conversion to MSFS native.

Priller
December 27th, 2020, 05:35
I did, but I'm not going to upload an imported version. When I do it will be a proper conversion to MSFS native.

Now that is excellent news!!!

Priller

Sundog
December 27th, 2020, 15:21
I did, but I'm not going to upload an imported version. When I do it will be a proper conversion to MSFS native. Oh, I didn't know you were going to do one proper for MSFS. Thanks!! It's been one of my favorite warbirds to fly for years. I've used it for recon runs, ball bearing runs from Sweden, low level bomb runs over the mainland, it's a great all purpose airplane. Any chance of an updated Beaufighter as well? (Yeah, I'm pushing my luck :) )

jeansy
December 27th, 2020, 19:00
Are there any good tutorials that especially shows how to convert gauges / animations? As soon as it is possible to me understanding how to get my goodies into MSFS, I am sure I will give it a try.
Oh, how about converting legacy helicopter? Does anybody know if this is possible, please?

from a post from MSFS devs, it was pointing towards helicopters in MSFS will be a payware content addon in the future. This was meet with some push back from a lot of people on various media platforms

who knows?

the only concern regarding these legacy converters that some payware developers may not make the effort to compile MSFS native models but rather use these converters and make rudimentary updates and ask the full quid for purchase. Its a bit of a catch 22 with these mods are we setting ourselves up for failure for a snappy enhancement?

OzWookiee
December 27th, 2020, 19:56
from a post from MSFS devs, it was pointing towards helicopters in MSFS will be a payware content addon in the future. This was meet with some push back from a lot of people on various media platforms

who knows?

the only concern regarding these legacy converters that some payware developers may not make the effort to compile MSFS native models but rather use these converters and make rudimentary updates and ask the full quid for purchase. Its a bit of a catch 22 with these mods are we setting ourselves up for failure for a snappy enhancement?

Mate, speaking from experience, you cannot just use these converters and then do nothing more for a native conversion. I poured in over two months on the Goose now with a couple more to go.

jeansy
December 27th, 2020, 23:42
Mate, speaking from experience, you cannot just use these converters and then do nothing more for a native conversion. I poured in over two months on the Goose now with a couple more to go.At the moment you are correct, this tool is a ever evolving and when the full sdk is available who knows what's next.Just like fsx to p3d there are many payware developers who take shortcuts when porting. And from what im seeing from digital retailers everyone is trying to make a buck on msfs addons not matter how small they are.When the market is open to xbox users what this space. The paid content is going to significantly increase. Game consoles are horrendous for paid content.

DaveWG
December 28th, 2020, 00:16
Oh, I didn't know you were going to do one proper for MSFS. Thanks!! It's been one of my favorite warbirds to fly for years. I've used it for recon runs, ball bearing runs from Sweden, low level bomb runs over the mainland, it's a great all purpose airplane. Any chance of an updated Beaufighter as well? (Yeah, I'm pushing my luck :) )

Yeah, the Beau will be coming as well, but don't hold your breath, it's going to be several months before either is released.

OzWookiee
December 28th, 2020, 00:17
At the moment you are correct, this tool is a ever evolving and when the full sdk is available who knows what's next.Just like fsx to p3d there are many payware developers who take shortcuts when porting. And from what im seeing from digital retailers everyone is trying to make a buck on msfs addons not matter how small they are.When the market is open to xbox users what this space. The paid content is going to significantly increase. Game consoles are horrendous for paid content.
There has always been varying levels of quality with flight sim add-ons, so nothing new there. We the consumer decide what is and is not acceptable.

K5083
December 28th, 2020, 10:02
So after two days messing around with legacy airplanes and the Legacy Importer I have some thoughts that will perhaps be of interest to other newbs who got the program for the holidays and are still getting their feet wet in the legacy thing.

Thought 1. THANK YOU Wookiee for the Goose. The difference between a carefully developed native plane and a jiffy legacy conversion is enormous. It is a delight to fly and your extra effort is much appreciated. The only tweak I made was to turn off "available for AI" since although it was fun to see a Goose on the ramp at every airport I visited around the world, it wasn't very realistic!

Thought 2. Jiffy legacy conversions do have their uses, at least for now, and at least for some users. In my case, these rough, partly-functional conversions will tide me over until there are some categories of planes, mainly vintage, available in more fully developed form. I know that the flight models aren't accurate (although some are surprisingly not bad) and I miss having access to many of the secondary controls and systems. When I want to fly planes that handle like they are supposed to, I still have Prepar3d and FSX. The legacy planes, for me, are just when I want to do what FS2020 does best - peep at scenery - from an open cockpit biplane, or use a P-51 to get around a little quicker than the Bonanza. For that reason, I don't need, and am not trying to convert, every warbird in my P3D hangar. Just a few that fly decently are fine, and I don't need dozens more with basically similar performance. When proper native versions come out, I'll happily delete the legacy planes, and maybe eventually build up a 300-plane hangar in FS2020 as I did in P3D. Or maybe not! Thus far, even with the stock aircraft, P3D still feels better as a simulator to me, and I may keep FS2020 mainly for scenery peeping, which doesn't require many different rides.

Thought 3. That Legacy Importer is a mighty impressive piece of programming. It deserves a lot of praise for being able to turn many FSX airplanes into reasonably flyable FS2020 models in 30 seconds on almost a turn-key basis. Good, no-nonsense interface, too.

Thought 4. Some planes jiffy convert a lot better than others! Personally, I have no interest in converting large or complex aircraft that I'm used to flying with pop-up panels or a lot of use of the mouse-clickable VC. That means basically nothing with a glass cockpit or a lot of complexity, and the biggest "big iron" I've converted so far has been the Just Flight Lockheed 10A. If you are interested in these jiffy conversions, it might be best to stick with the more primitive types.

Thought 5. Legacy converter success seems to vary by publisher, not surprising as they each have their habitual ways of doing gauges, textures etc., some more "standard" and amenable to conversion than others. My results thus far:
- Flight Replicas P-40N converted well; I have not tried other Flight Replicas products, but the P-40 is so good that I'm tempted to try one of the 109s.
- Golden Age Simulations planes convert well, give or take some funky sheen/opacity on the textures.
- Warbirdsim P-51s and Warwick Carter's T-6s converted quite nicely.
- Rob Richardson's planes seem to convert well. I did the Vampire F.3 and it is delightful. I know that others have had success with Rob's other planes.
- I have not had any luck with Alabeo/Carenado planes. They end up with missing parts and/or gauges.
- Milviz is a bit of a mixed bag. The F-86 looks fine but I have some doubts about the flight model. The P-38 that came with P3Dv4 has a few glitches but is flyable. The Corsair had missing skins and just didn't work.
- A2A I have not tried. If their hype about Accu-Sim is even partly true, with so much of the flight model bypassing the standard FSX/P3D process, then they shouldn't convert easily.
- Just Flight/Aeroplane Heaven seems okay. Several people on this thread have reported success with these. I haven't tried many of them.
- RealAir's Spitfires seem to convert beautifully, thank goodness, since we won't be getting any authorized native conversion of these. This is the one plane that I'm willing to learn how to tweak legacy flight models for the sake of having.
- Virtavia's FSX-native products seem to work okay for me so far.

Thought 6. The one consistent flight model issue that many legacy conversions seem to have is wild swinging on takeoff. When I did the Iris P-40E and PC-9, this was so severe that even full trim, rudder and differential braking together couldn't keep it straight. Editing the scalars for these in the aircraft.cfg did not seem to help. My solution was to switch to the legacy flight model and dial down the p-factor, torque and gyro to 50%. That still gives more swing than it did in FSX, but at least it's controllable. It seems to help make other legacy planes behave more like they originally did, as well.

Anyway. I hope this is helpful to someone.

August

Snurdley
December 28th, 2020, 11:56
Thank for that report, August. I know that will be helpful. I've had the same experience. Payware aircraft port much better since they mostly have 3D gauges, however I've noticed that the single engine recip warbirds typically have the crazy takeoff behavior you noted. Thanks much for the tweaking tips, can't wait to try them. It seems that jets or multi-engine warbirds fare much better. Some of the better ones I've tried: Daan's Fokker T5, Flight Replicas Me262, Vertigo F9F, Iris A-10.

Having said that, this is a temporary fix for my own warbird craving in the new sim. I'll be the first one in line when and if MSFS native versions come out.

https://i.imgur.com/z5abAz3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vqKGvu6.jpg

K5083
December 28th, 2020, 18:40
Yes, it seems like torque and related effects are one of the things that isn't yet being translated well from the FSX to the FS2020 flight models, although I'm sure Legacy Importer will do a better job as more is learned about the new sim.

I figure we can never have enough pilot reports and detailed conversion/tweaking advice in this thread.

I spent a couple of hours tuning the RealAir Spitfires tonight. If you just accept Legacy Importer's defaults, it flies all right in Modern flight model, but it is sluggish in roll. If you switch to Legacy flight model, even with the torque/p/gyro facts set to 50%, the roll is nice and snappy, but it is also so sensitive to torque that you will probably scrape both your wingtips off before you get airborne. I am finding that it feels better if you go into the aircraft.cfg and replace the following values.

In the [WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE] section:
empty_weight_roll_moi = 1000.000 ; originally 4020 for full span wings or 3880 for clipped

In the [FLIGHT_TUNING] section:
aileron_effectiveness = 5.0 ; originally 1.0
roll_stability = 5.0 ; originally 1.0

These would be crazy numbers in FSX, but they make the Spit's roll less sensitive to torque etc. while maintaining the aileron effectiveness. With flight model set to Legacy and torque/p/gyro sliders at 50%, so far this is the closest I've come to what Spitfires feel like in other sims.

August

FlyingsCool
December 29th, 2020, 06:59
So after two days messing around with legacy airplanes and the Legacy Importer I have some thoughts that will perhaps be of interest to other newbs who got the program for the holidays and are still getting their feet wet in the legacy thing.

Thought 1. THANK YOU Wookiee for the Goose. The difference between a carefully developed native plane and a jiffy legacy conversion is enormous. It is a delight to fly and your extra effort is much appreciated. The only tweak I made was to turn off "available for AI" since although it was fun to see a Goose on the ramp at every airport I visited around the world, it wasn't very realistic!

Thought 2. Jiffy legacy conversions do have their uses, at least for now, and at least for some users. In my case, these rough, partly-functional conversions will tide me over until there are some categories of planes, mainly vintage, available in more fully developed form. I know that the flight models aren't accurate (although some are surprisingly not bad) and I miss having access to many of the secondary controls and systems. When I want to fly planes that handle like they are supposed to, I still have Prepar3d and FSX. The legacy planes, for me, are just when I want to do what FS2020 does best - peep at scenery - from an open cockpit biplane, or use a P-51 to get around a little quicker than the Bonanza. For that reason, I don't need, and am not trying to convert, every warbird in my P3D hangar. Just a few that fly decently are fine, and I don't need dozens more with basically similar performance. When proper native versions come out, I'll happily delete the legacy planes, and maybe eventually build up a 300-plane hangar in FS2020 as I did in P3D. Or maybe not! Thus far, even with the stock aircraft, P3D still feels better as a simulator to me, and I may keep FS2020 mainly for scenery peeping, which doesn't require many different rides.

Thought 3. That Legacy Importer is a mighty impressive piece of programming. It deserves a lot of praise for being able to turn many FSX airplanes into reasonably flyable FS2020 models in 30 seconds on almost a turn-key basis. Good, no-nonsense interface, too.

Thought 4. Some planes jiffy convert a lot better than others! Personally, I have no interest in converting large or complex aircraft that I'm used to flying with pop-up panels or a lot of use of the mouse-clickable VC. That means basically nothing with a glass cockpit or a lot of complexity, and the biggest "big iron" I've converted so far has been the Just Flight Lockheed 10A. If you are interested in these jiffy conversions, it might be best to stick with the more primitive types.

Thought 5. Legacy converter success seems to vary by publisher, not surprising as they each have their habitual ways of doing gauges, textures etc., some more "standard" and amenable to conversion than others. My results thus far:
- Flight Replicas P-40N converted well; I have not tried other Flight Replicas products, but the P-40 is so good that I'm tempted to try one of the 109s.
- Golden Age Simulations planes convert well, give or take some funky sheen/opacity on the textures.
- Warbirdsim P-51s and Warwick Carter's T-6s converted quite nicely.
- Rob Richardson's planes seem to convert well. I did the Vampire F.3 and it is delightful. I know that others have had success with Rob's other planes.
- I have not had any luck with Alabeo/Carenado planes. They end up with missing parts and/or gauges.
- Milviz is a bit of a mixed bag. The F-86 looks fine but I have some doubts about the flight model. The P-38 that came with P3Dv4 has a few glitches but is flyable. The Corsair had missing skins and just didn't work.
- A2A I have not tried. If their hype about Accu-Sim is even partly true, with so much of the flight model bypassing the standard FSX/P3D process, then they shouldn't convert easily.
- Just Flight/Aeroplane Heaven seems okay. Several people on this thread have reported success with these. I haven't tried many of them.
- RealAir's Spitfires seem to convert beautifully, thank goodness, since we won't be getting any authorized native conversion of these. This is the one plane that I'm willing to learn how to tweak legacy flight models for the sake of having.
- Virtavia's FSX-native products seem to work okay for me so far.

Thought 6. The one consistent flight model issue that many legacy conversions seem to have is wild swinging on takeoff. When I did the Iris P-40E and PC-9, this was so severe that even full trim, rudder and differential braking together couldn't keep it straight. Editing the scalars for these in the aircraft.cfg did not seem to help. My solution was to switch to the legacy flight model and dial down the p-factor, torque and gyro to 50%. That still gives more swing than it did in FSX, but at least it's controllable. It seems to help make other legacy planes behave more like they originally did, as well.

Anyway. I hope this is helpful to someone.

August

Thanks for that description. The couple I've tried failed pretty miserably (engine wouldn't start in one and I'm hopeless at aircraft stuff, haven't put the time in, and the other well, pretty much didn't go at all and I'm pretty sure there's no hope for it (JF Warrior)).

Carenado's Mooney and Seminole are both suffering from the wild swings on takeoff since the latest update.

K5083
December 30th, 2020, 10:51
Here's one that has some real utility for slowing down and inspecting the scenery. The FSAddon Fi 156 Storch converts easily with the Importer and flies like a Storch should using the Modern flight model with no tweaks to the cfg file. Until we get rotorcraft in the sim, it's the next best thing to the drone cam for floating around looking at stuff!

Here I am inspecting the Deutsches Museum Flugwerft Schleissheim (EDNX) where I spent an enjoyable afternoon a couple of years ago. There is a real Storch in the museum. FS2020 did a nice job of photogrammetry-ing the museum buildings. It even height mapped and textured the An-2 parked out front! I think the museum was not within the FS2020 airport boundary which is why the museum buildings were not wiped out and replaced with generic hangars.

August

firerx
December 31st, 2020, 06:39
is there a program out there that will do batch bmp to DSS conversion?

Priller
December 31st, 2020, 08:08
Google is your friend! (not really, but who cares, they've got everything they want from us already)

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/413917-dds-mass-texture-converter/

There's an explanation on how to use it and a download link to mediafire.

Enjoy!!

Priller

Tom Clayton
December 31st, 2020, 11:35
Thanks! I've added this to the Tools thread.

robcap
January 1st, 2021, 12:54
Bit of trouble still with the legacy importer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it didn't. Latest version works again...
Flightmodel needs loads of tweaking.
But gears-up landing works, including bent props... (wasn't my intention, but nice to know)
We will make a native model for MSFS.
Most gauges workwith the importer.
Maybe diving into the legacy importer will get more gauges going.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80666&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80667&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80668&stc=1

Best, Rob

jankees
January 1st, 2021, 13:47
Good to see you back in the saddle, Rob! Looking forward to the DC-2!

Sundog
January 2nd, 2021, 15:07
Hi guys, I tried importing Miltons La Patrona Tigercat. I use the bmp to dxt texture converter, but the model appears all white. Is that an alpha layer issue? Thanks, Ken

Snurdley
January 2nd, 2021, 17:23
This gem showed up on Flightsim.com and works pretty well in MSFS. Beautiful work.

https://i.imgur.com/vkcZYlq.jpg

Cirrus N210MS
January 2nd, 2021, 20:51
dc-3 ?? is the dc3 getting ported soon ?

K5083
January 4th, 2021, 09:20
I noticed that a lot of legacy aircraft are missing sounds, in particular most of them make no tire squeak on touchdown and there is no ground rumble either. It can often be very difficult to tell when you have landed.

At length I realized that these planes were calling stock FSX/P3D wav files from the Sound folder that are absent in FS2020. So I tried the following process:

- Open sound.cfg in the Sound folder of the legacy plane. Look for all the sound file names in "filename=" lines. Check to see that there is a wav file with that name in the Sound folder.
- If any are not present in the plane's Sound folder, find them in the base Sound folder of FSX or P3D, and copy them to that plane's Sound folder in FS2020.
- When all sound files are accounted for, update the layout.json file in the plane's top-level directory using either the rescan command in Legacy Importer or the auto_json utility that OzWookiee has included with his FS2020 Grumman Goose.

This works great. My complete sound sets are now back in the planes I've done this to, and it's much better both for immersion and knowing when I'm on the ground.

But it's a laborious process re-copying the files to each plane I convert. Does anyone know if there's any way the whole FSX/P3D Sound folder could be copied someplace where FS2020 would know to look for it? I didn't get much out of looking into the Sound folders for the Asobo planes. They are using a very different file system.

August

Mach3DS
January 4th, 2021, 09:31
Anyone have an MSFS working copy of the XF-103 Rapier?

FlyingsCool
January 4th, 2021, 13:07
I've tried to convert 4 aircraft now, and none of them can keep their engines running, and I haven't a clue about how to manage that. I've done absolutely nothing other than run the converter. I don't know where to start looking. Are there any good tutorials out there on how to fix that? Or do people just use key bindings to do things like close fuel valves and set magnetos?

kaigun
January 7th, 2021, 01:26
I am also trying with my first conversions with Legacy Importer and indeed some are working reasonably stable, the others are going crazy... I am not expecting smooth performance, just stable flying, working gauges in VC to see main parameters and proper texture displaying, accepting all other limitations and not clickable switches etc.
Could some of You please share with some more tips about using mentioned Legacy Importer - I have few doubts before continuing with next conversions due to lack of time for empty "trials by error".
What bothers me most - do You use simple conversion only or switch to full conversions ?
If doing full conversion do You use also *.air file dump ? If so, are You inserting there data in engine and aerodynamics sections ? If so, do You choose them individually (by color ?) or accept inserting all that appear in the list ?
Should the majority of conversions fly well in modern flight model or You are testing both modern vs legacy to choose better ?
Legacy Importer is a true gem for users like me, with no experience in planes parts editing. What I really miss due to lack of experience is some kind of "cooking receipt" for succesful conversion (as much as possible of course) using Converter - for specific plane, what should be done on each tab in converter and what should not...
Thank You all for great ideas sharing here !!!

BTW, is is possible to add new planes for tests to Community folder to get them visible immediately in plane choice menu as it was possible in FSX-P3D (just adding to SimObjects folder and opening choice window again) ? or MSFS must be exit and started again each time ?

keithb77
January 7th, 2021, 07:48
Start simple and work up...the FSX Civilian P51D Racer is an easy conversion and works well - just do the basic conversion.
I always do a basic conversion plus the runway file and then if I really want that aircraft I will try the more complex conversion with airfile export etc.
Before starting I look in the panel.cfg file - if it's full of XML gauges in the VCOCKPITnn sections I don't bother.
You CAN do gauge conversion but it's not really worth the effort.
Old planes tend to give the best results, more likely to have 3D cockpits.

Some imports work with legacy FM, some are better with modern, no idea why.

You need to restart MSFS to pick up new models, you can change textures and just reload the aircraft.
CFG changes you need to use developer mode to resync.

Manschy
January 7th, 2021, 08:36
Before starting I look in the panel.cfg file - if it's full of XML gauges in the VCOCKPITnn sections I don't bother.

Keith, can you please tell us what you do mean with this?

Here are some parts of the MILVIZ F-4 panel.cfg, but I can't find any hint regarding xml. The lines behind "gauges = " only refer to the dll files in the P3D gauges folder...

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Vcockpit32]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$F4E_16_C_R
gauge00=MV_F4E_LT!L16, 0,0,1024,1024, R

[Vcockpit33]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$F4E_17
gauge00=MV_F-4E_Sys!Radar, 0,256,512,256
gauge01=MV_F-4E_Sys!RWR, 0,0,512,256

[Vcockpit34]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=32,32
visible=1
pixel_size=32,32
texture=$F4E_sys
gauge00=MV_F-4E_Sys!SV, 0,0,1,1

[Color]
Day=255,255,255
Night=25,10,5
Luminous=202,220,147

[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8191
SIZE_Y=4000

Did I find the wrong file?

Snurdley
January 7th, 2021, 10:00
Start simple and work up...the FSX Civilian P51D Racer is an easy conversion and works well - just do the basic conversion.
I always do a basic conversion plus the runway file and then if I really want that aircraft I will try the more complex conversion with airfile export etc.
You CAN do gauge conversion but it's not really worth the effort.
Old planes tend to give the best results, more likely to have 3D cockpits.

Some imports work with legacy FM, some are better with modern, no idea why.

You need to restart MSFS to pick up new models, you can change textures and just reload the aircraft.
CFG changes you need to use developer mode to resync.

I believe it's xml gauges that work, dll don't. And I think you mean 3D gauges, not cockpits (all vc's are 3D). But they have to be native FSX models, with separate external and vc models.

kaigun
January 7th, 2021, 10:51
Thank You very much Keith ! I will follow Your experience :encouragement: Any other hints & tips welcomed !