PDA

View Full Version : TV to use with MSFS?

FlyingsCool
August 21st, 2020, 05:18
I've done a lot of searching and I'm still a little confused. I'm contemplating getting a 55" 4K TV, or maybe 3 42" 4K TV's and am wondering what specs I would want to see. It seems like something with close to 120Hz / 10ms latency / HDMI 2.1 would do the trick.

Any thoughts on actual models that would work well with MSFS? I'm contemplating a Samsun Q9FN, but can't find any for sale. One review seriously downgraded the Q60 but Tom's Hardware rated it top value... Costco has Q80T's I think they are. I don't think I want to spend as much on an LG OLED. Any decent 42" TV's/Monitors available?

My computer is currently a i7 4790K / 2070 Super (OC I think) / 16 GB ram, 2x 1TB Rocket SSD's and 13 TB of disk drive space.... MSI Z97 Gaming MB I think.

udidwht
August 21st, 2020, 22:35
With your set up...4K will struggle. It's even hindering 10000 series CPUs.

This is why it needs Direct X12.
One being bottle-necked by the IPC and Ghz of ones processor. Everyone is. DX11 is limited in it’s multi-threading capability and generates too many draw calls that exceed any CPU in existence today. Even if it scaled to other threads, the main-thread is really the cause of your lower GPU usage. It is the case in P3D, XP11 and FSX. This has always been the #1 reason why frames are always lower in flight sims. You would think that P3D, as being a DX12 application, would fair better but the legacy ESP engine code is still way to single threaded focus. It’s very easy to see. Load a PMDG 777 in P3D. The frame will vary to 40-50FPS. Pause the sim and your frame will jump by almost 80%. This is because simulation code and draw calls are on the same thread and limited your CPU to drive your GPU.

This is not rocket science. Asobo needs to port their engine to a proper DX12 engine. (not like LM did) and implement DLSS. This is the only way we will ever get 60 fps in this sim. A RTX 3000 series will not help anyone. We need overall lower draw calls combined with spreading the load across enough threads that it doesn’t bottleneck the GPU. When you increase the render scale, all you are doing in loading higher resolution to your GPU (just like DSR), it doesn’t provide you more frames.

OzWookiee
August 24th, 2020, 16:58
I have one of the new TCL 6 Series 43" 4K HDR TV's and it's wonderful! They're getting rave reviews from lots of TV hardware channels and are half the price of a Sony TV for pretty darn close to the same performance.

i7-8770K (stock) and 1080GTX I get a decent 30fps.

If you want to run tripples in 4K then you will need to upgrade your CPU and your GPU for sure.

FlyingsCool
August 30th, 2020, 09:31
Just a note, I was at Costco yesterday I took the plunge and picked up an LG 55UN73 55 in 4K TV for $450. Took a little while to get it set up properly, but using it now and it's pretty awesome to have a such a big monitor. I'm lucky, I'm 57 and don't need reading glasses, so with small text I can have windows open all over the screen and it makes working a breeze with text at 100%. I'm even considering running MSFS windowed/wide so I can have windows open above it, and get a wide screen view to boot.

I found turning on Lens Correction in the camera gets rid of the screen stretching when running super wide screen. Pretty psyched about that.

But for now, I'm just running full screen. Pretty cool to have the cockpit panel nearly full size.

BTW, with the LG TV's... DO NOT ATTEMPT TO stand the TV up on it's silly little stands without installing the two supplied screws to support them!

When are we going to get a carrier?!

BananaBob
August 31st, 2020, 06:15
Just a note, I was at Costco yesterday I took the plunge and picked up an LG 55UN73 55 in 4K TV for $450. Took a little while to get it set up properly, but using it now and it's pretty awesome to have a such a big monitor. I'm lucky, I'm 57 and don't need reading glasses, so with small text I can have windows open all over the screen and it makes working a breeze with text at 100%. I'm even considering running MSFS windowed/wide so I can have windows open above it, and get a wide screen view to boot.

I found turning on Lens Correction in the camera gets rid of the screen stretching when running super wide screen. Pretty psyched about that.

But for now, I'm just running full screen. Pretty cool to have the cockpit panel nearly full size.

BTW, with the LG TV's... DO NOT ATTEMPT TO stand the TV up on it's silly little stands without installing the two supplied screws to support them!

When are we going to get a carrier?!

Just purchased an LG NanoCell 85 55" 4K 120Hz and you're right about those screws, LOL. Working great for MSFS! :wavey:

Naismith
August 31st, 2020, 15:38
LG 55-in. Smart 4K UHD TV 55UN7300 Canadian (BC) Costco $697.99Grrrrr. :banghead: ANd that's before they bung the precious taxes on.

Bomber_12th
August 31st, 2020, 15:46
Probably not near as nice as some of the TV's mentioned here, but I picked up myself a TCL 43S425 43" 4K LED TV for use as my monitor for $230 off Amazon a few months ago, and it has been a great experience.

TuFun
August 31st, 2020, 16:19
55" you guys must be blind! :biggrin-new: Just in case... /s

Mach3DS
August 31st, 2020, 18:38
What's the response time on one of those? How's the latency on a TV vs a Monitor?

FlyingsCool
August 31st, 2020, 18:42
What's the response time on one of those? How's the latency on a TV vs a Monitor?

I don't notice any on mine... I wouldn't know what to look for. Reacts as I expect, feels like I'm flying, don't notice and artifacts at all. I have pretty good eyesight, I don't need reading glasses and always make text as small as it can go for more screen space. I was afraid quality might suffer for a $450 TV (LG even says it can be found for $399), but it's great. Whatching Hockey on it now, haha

Tom Clayton
August 31st, 2020, 19:54
I sometimes use my TV as a second monitor - especially when I can't get one of the "smart" apps on it to work, so I just pull up the same service on my laptop and stream from that to the TV with a long HDMI cable. The only time I ever see lag is when I project wirelessly. My 43' Samsung runs PC content at 1920/1080, so I get the full use of the streaming service. My 24" monitor is good enough for FS right now. I may experiment with the TV soon. I'd love to hear the engine sounds coming through my sound bar!

wombat666
September 2nd, 2020, 01:04
I suppose I could use our Samsung 55" Serif QLED 4K Smart TV as a monitor but it would be wasted in that role.
And my lovely partner would no doubt give me serious disciplinary pain........:173go1:as things stand she was not pleased that it cost some $2800.00 +/- and she
was off doing her 'Florence Nightingale' thing at one of our major public hospitals at the time.
I did point out that I didn't wish to distract her from the vital role she was playing in the fight against COVID 19 but that probably was a poor choice of words!

jmig
September 2nd, 2020, 03:07
I suppose could use our Samsung 55" Serif QLED 4K Smart TV as a monitor but it would be wasted in that role.
And my lovely partner would no doubt give me serious disciplinary pain........as things stand she was not pleased that it cost some $2800.00 +/- and she
was off doing her 'Florence Nightingale' thing at one of our major public hospitals at the time.
I did point out that I didn't wish to distract her from the vital role she was playing in the fight against COVID 19 but that probably was a poor choice of words!

:biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new: and you are HOW old? :biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

Some things are universal.

wombat666
September 2nd, 2020, 03:14
According to Sofie '7'.
I tried to get Sofie to accept that leaving a 7 year old home alone for several weeks was stressful and retail therapy was excellent for stress relief but that just dug the hole deeper!
:indecisiveness:

warchild
September 2nd, 2020, 04:29
I've been using 55 inchers since before i had FS9. The trick is, dont restrict yourself to sitting at a desk.. Use the entire room. My current TV is only a Vizio, but its worked solidly for nearly ten years and I cant complain.. My chair was a bit steep but It's literally my home as I'm in it 24 hours a day, but its the best money I've ever paid. With a throttle on one side of me and a stick on the other, I do everything on the Vizio except watch TV ( cant stand it any more ). And yes, I'm blind. I earned it.. I'm darned near seventy. I swear. With the way I;m shrinking, my next pair of pants will need suspenders to hold them up.. Seriously though; being comfortable in a nice relaxing chair with a big TV or monitor, is the only way to fly..

jmig
September 2nd, 2020, 04:37
Pam, I had to make a concession to age when building my latest flight sim cockpit a couple years ago. My previous one was modeled on the T-38. It was a full size cockpit that you had to climb into, just like the real one.

When I decided to expand and build a larger cockpit, a mix between the F-16 and F-18, I decided to build it with the sides clam-shelled. This way it can be taken apart for ease of movement into three sections, BUT I can now slide in and out of the seat. No more climbing a ladder and stepping into the cockpit. I lot safer for this old fighter pilot.

FlyingsCool
September 2nd, 2020, 06:23
I've been using 55 inchers since before i had FS9. The trick is, dont restrict yourself to sitting at a desk.. Use the entire room. My current TV is only a Vizio, but its worked solidly for nearly ten years and I cant complain.. My chair was a bit steep but It's literally my home as I'm in it 24 hours a day, but its the best money I've ever paid. With a throttle on one side of me and a stick on the other, I do everything on the Vizio except watch TV ( cant stand it any more ). And yes, I'm blind. I earned it.. I'm darned near seventy. I swear. With the way I;m shrinking, my next pair of pants will need suspenders to hold them up.. Seriously though; being comfortable in a nice relaxing chair with a big TV or monitor, is the only way to fly..

I dunno, I set mine up on the back of my desk (2.5 ft?), comfy office chair, so it's almost the same distance away as an instrument panel would be.... I flew the Aerobat the other night, man, I felt like I was sitting in the cockpit, nearly lifesize,... I'll have to measure it, it might actually be :)

(I like my zoom at about 1 and use Trackir... I hate that stretchy look when zoomed out. I was so happy to find the "Camera Correction" option, especially when using 3 monitors)

Tailwind
September 2nd, 2020, 11:04
LG 55-in. Smart 4K UHD TV 55UN7300 Canadian (BC) Costco $697.99

Grrrrr. :banghead: ANd that's before they bung the precious taxes on.

Exchange alone makes it close to 600 bucks. Add on cost of delivery, environmental fees, the ridiculous cost of doing business in Canada due to green energy policies and there you go.