PDA

View Full Version : Graphics issues

PRB
August 20th, 2020, 13:01
Seems to me I should be getting better performance: About 10-15 FPS with no weather and clear skies. A more serious concern is the "artefacts". Everything underneath things is solid. For example, I can't see under bridges. Somebody put up a solid wall under everything that has an underneath. Like bridges. My computer specs in the sig line.

Priller
August 20th, 2020, 13:33
Seems to me I should be getting better performance: About 10-15 FPS with no weather and clear skies. A more serious concern is the "artefacts". Everything underneath things is solid. For example, I can't see under bridges. Somebody put up a solid wall under everything that has an underneath. Like bridges. My computer specs in the sig line.

Paul,

To better understand we need a few things more:

What version of windows 10 are you running? (build and version please)
are all your drivers up to date?
How many processes/services are up and running?
Screen resolution?
graphics settings in the sim

Cheers,

Priller

PRB
August 20th, 2020, 16:18
I'm just whining. No worries. I'm doing my own research at this point. Finally got my controller assignments sorted out to a point that I could fly like I'm used to in "PFX3D". Then I could settle down and look around. The graphics anomalies are a concern, but in general this is a stunning sim. For my first flight I took off from the city I grew up in many decades ago, KAUG, Augusta Maine. It, and the city around it, looks right. From the big green bridge across the Kennebec River, to the school I went to, and the big church on Sand Hill, it's all there. Remarkable. My frame rates are "krrrap!" and I don't like that at all. That and the "anomalies".

PRB
August 20th, 2020, 16:37
However, your questions are good ones:

Screen resolution: 3840 x 2160

And here is a kodak of the task manager while my plane was sitting on the runway. Looks like my poor graphics card is barely hanging on for dear life...

odourboy
August 20th, 2020, 17:33
My 1080ti is struggling at 4K and it's probably two and a half times the power of an RX 580. Roll your rendering scale down to 50 and you might get some reasonable frame rates.

The artifacts might be normal for the scenery. It can look gawd aweful from afar, cleaning up to gorgeous detail as you approach.

Bomber_12th
August 20th, 2020, 17:38
Bridges within photogrammetry cities are solid underneath due to the way photogrammetry objects are made in 3d from photos. They look better under certain lighting conditions and angle of view.

With regard to FPS, when using 4K resolution, make sure the "Render Scaling" option within the in-game graphics settings is no higher than 100. I have it set at 90 myself.

Also, at 4K, you can have Texture Super Sampling turned off in the in-game graphics settings.

I usually am good for 4K (it's hard to go back once you see the sim in 4K), but I also like to run it in 70% 4K (2688 x 1512), as it performs better for not much difference in visual quality as long as the Render Scaling setting in-game is set at at least 100. When doing so, I have to set my desktop resolution at that setting too, otherwise it doesn't work well just setting that resolution in the sim.

PRB
August 21st, 2020, 03:08
Ok, that makes sense about the photogramaticallyautogenerated buildings and bridges. At render scaling 90 it was a little better. At 50, it is very smooth, but not quite as pretty... I'll play with the graphics settings, and maybe try a lower resolution, while I shop for a new graphics card...

PRB
August 23rd, 2020, 09:27
Update: I am able to get a smooth experience, with weather, and at 4K, and render scaling 90, if I set everything to medium. It looks pretty good even at medium! This will do until the new hardware arrives. Gives me time to learn the new sim, setup the controls, and learn all the camera settings.

PGSailor
August 24th, 2020, 12:03
flying 152 or Savage Cub at 1,000' to 3,000' AGL around Puget Sound (ORBX KTIW package installed for my departure airport in Tacoma, WA) I see 29 to 32 FPS with almost zero stuttering, few popins, and few FPS slowdowns

flying same planes out of KORS (ORBX package installed for Orcas Island in the San Juan archepeligo about 90-miles north of Seattle) I see 30 -34 FPS making a low slow pass at 100' over the very detailed airport

Flying same planes at 300' to 3,000' AGL over KSEA I get 27 to 30 FPS

All 4 cores stay more than 95% busy all the time and the GTX 1650 is always more than 97% busy.

Full screen 1920x1080 Global Rendering is High with the following settings to Ultra
V-synch = OFF
Render Scaling = 110
AA = TAA
Terrain Vector = Ultra
Buildings = Ultra
Trees = Ultra
Objects LOD = 110
Texture Resolution = Ultra
Anisotropic filtering = 8x
Texture Supersampling = 4 x 4
Terrain Shadows = 128
Ambient Occulsion = Medium
Light Shafts = Medium
AI traffic = OFF
Aviation Traffic = OFF
Airport Life = 32 for all 3 settings
Land and Sea Traffic = 23 for all 3 settings

Smooth and happy at 30 FPS

I use Task Manager to kill every task that is not essential for running Flight Sim but I do leave my AVAST file and internet security package running

My system seems to load about 1.5 Mbs / minute as I fly around Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands for the third consecutive day. There were some big slow downs and stalls on the first day as new scenary loaded but during the alst two days I have seen no stuttering or slow downs.