PDA

View Full Version : Controller blues

Navy Chief
August 18th, 2020, 14:37
I have my Saitek X52 throttle and joystick, plus rudders recognized, but getting them to work in the sim, i.e. assign functions? Headache city. I have no clue. NC

StormILM
August 18th, 2020, 14:54
I have my Saitek X52 throttle and joystick, plus rudders recognized, but getting them to work in the sim, i.e. assign functions? Headache city. I have no clue. NC

The process IMO is too redundant. You first have to clear the current assignment to any given key or stick button, then either select the input or better, just clear the top bar in the menu of the assignment you're trying to assign, then click the Validate Button, then hit the save button or F11. I remember hating DCS at first but actually like their UI controller interface best of all now even though you have to assign every aircraft. This sim is going to take me a while to get used to on the UI,

Bomber_12th
August 18th, 2020, 15:12
It isn't all that intuitive at first, but once you do it once or twice it's pretty easy.

I put this graphic together with info that I hope helps:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50242729967_4fd09f5c1d_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jxM8bX)

Also be sure to set the sensitivity for your controller axes, as can be accessed on the left side of the screen. As I mentioned in another thread, I have the sensitivity set at -25 for the aileron, elevator and rudder for my joystick & rudder pedal controllers. By default they're too sensitive for most controllers.

Navy Chief
August 18th, 2020, 15:14
Thanks guys.

I am in the process of watching some tutorial videos on YouTube by a guy nicknamed, "Squirrel". Detailed videos. I resized my MSFS2020 Window, and have the Youtube opened up next to it. Am going slowly.

My 67 year old brain don't work as fast as it used to! NC

StormILM
August 18th, 2020, 15:53
I am going slow as well Chief, figuring it as I go with the help of others here as well. My 54 year old brain copes well but I too have my overload limits all in one day! lol

Navy Chief
August 18th, 2020, 17:42
Well, making progress! Thanks to the videos I mentioned, I at least can take off! Now trying to figure out how to change views like I am accustomed to! NC

My main thing now is trying to find how to do "Pan View"? Can't find mention of it anywhere. I do hope it is just a nomenclature problem. I really need that abilility!

StormILM
August 18th, 2020, 18:32
Chief, there is a way to bind the Cockpit Camera Views to a Joystick Hat. If you have a stick with a true 8 way Hat it, you can assign the Hat Buttons for the Up/Left/Right and Down/Left/Right functions as well as the common 4 views (left/right/up/down) but you can also combine a 4 way Hat to do the same (as I did). I took a screenshot to show what my setup looks like. Bear in mind you will have to expand the view on the Camera UI screen to see these options. You use the same binding procedures as the other controls.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78307&stc=1

StormILM
August 18th, 2020, 18:34
I forgot to mention, the Sim seems to assign numbers to various buttons on the sticks and keys. That's what you're seeing on that screen shot. I am using a Thrustmaster Warthog which actually comes with a profile pre-binding many functions.

Navy Chief
August 19th, 2020, 06:46
I doubt if anyone can provide a answer to this, but here goes. I have a Logitech G940 Joystick. MSFS2020 recognizes it is connected, but the controller is shadowed out, and I am not able to assign anything to it. NC

DennyA
August 19th, 2020, 09:35
Navy Chief,

Download the Logitech G940 driver from http://bit.ly/G940driver (that's a shortcut to Logitech's site).

I've used the G940 with the sim. With the stock built-in Windows driver it appears as one device to the sim with a zillion axes and buttons. With the driver installed (be sure to reboot after installing), it properly shows as separate stick, pedals, and throttle. I was able to program it in the beta with that driver installed.

Navy Chief
August 19th, 2020, 09:52
Navy Chief,

Download the Logitech G940 driver from http://bit.ly/G940driver (that's a shortcut to Logitech's site).

I've used the G940 with the sim. With the stock built-in Windows driver it appears as one device to the sim with a zillion axes and buttons. With the driver installed (be sure to reboot after installing), it properly shows as separate stick, pedals, and throttle. I was able to program it in the beta with that driver installed.

Thanks Denny. Got it working. Now trying to get the force feedback working. NC

DennyA
August 19th, 2020, 11:00
Thanks Denny. Got it working. Now trying to get the force feedback working. NC
Glad you got it going!

I haven't seen a sim released in the last decade or so, sadly, that actually supports the force feedback feature. :(

PRB
August 20th, 2020, 10:04
I have a CH Products throttle quadrant. The sim can see it, and names it correctly, but apparently doesn't know what it is. There is a big question mark in the place where the image of the controller would go. And, of course, I can't assign anything to it. It works find in P3D and FSX.

DennyA
August 20th, 2020, 11:24
I have a CH Products throttle quadrant. The sim can see it, and names it correctly, but apparently doesn't know what it is. There is a big question mark in the place where the image of the controller would go. And, of course, I can't assign anything to it. It works find in P3D and FSX.

Okay, the good news is that you're probably just encountering a confusing user interface decision, not the actual inability to program your CH Throttle. By default, the Controller view is filtered to only show already assigned controls. And on controllers that don't have presets, there aren't any. So it LOOKS like you can't assign any functions to it. Had the same issue with my CH Pro Pedals.

Just change the Filter from "Assigned" to "All." Now you should be able to set up the throttle with no issue.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78359&stc=1

Ganter
August 20th, 2020, 11:42
Really good info coming from the boys here.
This helped me alot getting the Cockpit View joystick Hat working, etc.

Thanks guys. Off to have a look at Wales. . .

PRB
August 20th, 2020, 12:09
Thanks DennyA. That was it! :very_drunk:

Priller
August 20th, 2020, 14:12
I forgot to mention, the Sim seems to assign numbers to various buttons on the sticks and keys. That's what you're seeing on that screen shot. I am using a Thrustmaster Warthog which actually comes with a profile pre-binding many functions.

Storm, I'm sorely tempted to buy me a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. is it easy to configure in this sim?

Thanks in advance,

Priller