PDA

View Full Version : Download stuck

centuryseries
August 18th, 2020, 07:56
So I've only downloaded about 33Gb so far, and it got stuck downloading the fspackage.003 I read on reddit that a solution was to delete the last couple of files, so I removed 003, 002 and 001. But now it's not downloading 001 - has anyone else come across this? I can't face starting again - its been going for 7 hours so far!

Tried to seek support on the MSFS forum provided in the installer by way of a link, but I get bad gateway - I guess their forum can't cope.

azflyboy
August 18th, 2020, 08:11
Are you sure it's not stuck trying to unpack a file?

The download is almost impressive how badly it's done, since it unpacks every single file as soon as it downloads, which slows the process down substantially.

centuryseries
August 18th, 2020, 08:19
Are you sure it's not stuck trying to unpack a file?

The download is almost impressive how badly it's done, since it unpacks every single file as soon as it downloads, which slows the process down substantially.

No it gets to 1% downloaded and then goes back to 0% and starts again for this one file.

centuryseries
August 18th, 2020, 08:24
Finally its now got to 3% after about two hours of waiting......!

I guess I just have to wait - must be server load at the other end or something....

azflyboy
August 18th, 2020, 08:25
If you're trying to use the Steam version, you might have luck uninstalling MSFS, clearing the Steam cache, then trying it again.

I don't know exactly how the MS Store version works, so all I can recommend there is restarting the download, but you might try reaching out to their support if you think that might be faster.

centuryseries
August 18th, 2020, 08:31
Thanks, no using the MS version.

Its started again, so we'll see if it gets a bit further this time!!

I need to be patient!

dvj
August 18th, 2020, 08:42
Use eithernet, not wireless for the 100gb download. My wireless kept kicking out. As soon as I went to hardline, I got a gig every 2 minutes or so download without breaks. If there is a disconnect, the software is supposed to pick up where it left off, which it did for me when I was running a wireless connection.

centuryseries
August 18th, 2020, 09:19
Use eithernet, not wireless for the 100gb download. My wireless kept kicking out. As soon as I went to hardline, I got a gig every 2 minutes or so download without breaks. If there is a disconnect, the software is supposed to pick up where it left off, which it did for me when I was running a wireless connection.

Trying Ethernet now, hopefully will be more stable!

StormILM
August 18th, 2020, 09:44
It took me two attempts and about 4 hours with a 500mbps net speed that I have. It was clearly very sequenced/throttled but it got done. Looks amazing!

UnknownGuest12
August 18th, 2020, 10:26
Hi, is it a direct install ? Wonder if one is allowed to download it on an external drive for back up if anything goes wrong afterwards...
Thanks

DennyA
August 18th, 2020, 10:45
The main program (fairly small) is a direct install, but you can choose a folder to hold the 91+ GB of data files. You can back up that 91GB folder.

Also, to put FS on my second PC, I was able to copy the data file folder from PC #1 to a USB stick for backup, copy the folder to PC #2, then install FS to PC #2 and point it to the copied folder and it didn't have to re-download the data for the new PC.

Jim Goldman
August 18th, 2020, 15:21
If your installation has stopped..try the following, press control/alt/delete this opens a window of task menu..Stop the flightsim installation.

Now go back and restart the MSFS2020 installation again. If installation stops after a while repeat step mentioned above

Restart installation again.

In alpha installs we would have to repeat the process several times to get full install.

Don't worry if you had partial installation..the current install will continue from previous attempts.

Good luck, took me four attempts today. Now all I'd working well

UnknownGuest12
August 18th, 2020, 16:00
The main program (fairly small) is a direct install, but you can choose a folder to hold the 91+ GB of data files. You can back up that 91GB folder.

Also, to put FS on my second PC, I was able to copy the data file folder from PC #1 to a USB stick for backup, copy the folder to PC #2, then install FS to PC #2 and point it to the copied folder and it didn't have to re-download the data for the new PC.

Thanks a lot DennyA