PDA

View Full Version : First, VERY early thoughts....

ColoKent
August 18th, 2020, 06:41
All,

Got the Premium deluxe version of MSFS 2020 downloaded and installed last night. I did some initial flying last night, but the nearly completely foreign user interface/control scheme (at least "foreign" from prior MS flight sims and P3D) controls threw me for a bit of a loop. A "PAUSE" button would have been really helpful (and I'm certain there must be one, I just haven't found it-- yet). I know that as I get the sim "dialed in" to my preferences and I get more comfortable with the interface, my initial impressions are very likely change:

- Default AC don't feel as default as much as past versions
- The lighting is absolutely STUNNING. Glare from the sun is very well captured. It actually looks realistic outside.
- Definitely takes the feeling of flying to a bit more realistic level visually

Dislikes:
- Difficult to fly the aircraft smoothly, it seems to jerk about in a toylike fashion, and (to me at least), it doesn't feel anywhere as realistic as P3D
- The user interface and the related menu organization probably made inherent sense to a coder in the Game Studio, but not to me. I find it utterly unhandy and unintuitive. Hopefully we can assign functions to classic FS/P3D keyboard buttons, and get away from having to constantly move the mouse to the top of the screen, select the menu bar, then blunder through menus to see how to fix a setting
- Takes forever to load
- I don't find any of the camera views (VC, spot plane, etc.) to be as smooth and intuitive as in past FS or P3D versions-- particularly inside the VC

Bear in mind, this is said with a total of about 2 hours of stick time....haven't even scratched the surface in knowledge, obviously...Despite my dislikes above (most which are probably fixable with user customization), I can see where this will be a contender as a popular sim. I'm glad I ponied up the money to become an "early adapter".

Kent

***UPDATE*** Actually....the keyboard is as customizable as in the past. BTW...PAUSE default is the "PAUSE/BREAK" key on the keyboard! This is gonna be fun when I get it set up...

ColoKent
August 18th, 2020, 07:49
Guys...I am beginning to suspect I overreacted (surprise!). After some messing around, the interface seems highly customizable (once you start thinking like the guy who organized the menu layout)...and I've even gone back and assigned many controls to the identical keyboard assignments as FSX/P3D (and many actually come out of the box that way) [John-- haven't tired programming keys on my Logitech joystick yet].

I have not yet figured out how to select a different airplane without going to the upper most level of the sim, menu-wise, but I suspect I'll figure that out too. The airplanes still seem to not have as realistic (to me) of a flight model, but for all I know, maybe I just haven't gone in and tweaked that yet.

I HATE using the term I am about to use....but this thing seems like it could be a no-kidding "game changer".

C'mon Iris, MILVIZ, A2A, JF and all the rest....get those P3D classics upgraded for FS 2020!

Here's my BIGGEST problem...I actually have to shut this thing down and get some real world work done....

Kent

Daube
August 18th, 2020, 07:50
According to the Alpha/Beta testers, the very first thing to do when configuring the controls is to tune down the axis sensitivities to -70%, else the axis are way over sensitives.
I don't know if that's still valid for the current version of the sim, but you might want to give it a try ?

Priller
August 18th, 2020, 07:55
I agree. They should have included an option to map the controls à la FSX/P3D. It is not intuitive at all!

Priller

Bomber_12th
August 18th, 2020, 08:02
I use a CH Products Fighterstick and CH Products Pro Rudder Pedals. For both of those, and for the last 2-3 months through testing and now, I have had the sensitivity always set at -25 for all three of the aileron, elevator and rudder axes (same as what I have to do in DCS as well). For me, this has been perfect.

Yes, just about everything you can think of with regard to the user interface is customizable. Also, once you understand how to map a controller axis or key binding, I feel it is very easy to use.

And yes, right now the only way you can change the aircraft is if you go back to the main menu/world map and set up another flight.

StormILM
August 18th, 2020, 09:51
It is a game changer! All of these years using FS9/10, P3Dv4, my area was only correct in basic shape with some roadways being correct. With FS2020, most everything is spot on except some landmark objects are 2D map and many buildings and houses are generic shapes but still, it's just incredible. My local airport is the most accurate base version I have ever seen. Flying the C172 in and out of the field, it felt like I was actually there!

I still have a lot of customizing to do with the controls and cameras but it will come together. I am very pleased with this version.

Alan_A
August 18th, 2020, 10:54
Getting the control sensitivities right takes some trial and error. My Virtual Fly hardware (Yoko Plus and TQ6 Plus) work well at a straight linear (0%) sensitivity setting and zero null. The yoke has a natural, physical dead zone that makes this possible. My VIRPIL joystick needs -50% sensitivity... I think. Still working to get that one right. Make adjustments mid-flight and see what works.