PDA

View Full Version : Can't change default folder

AussieMan
August 17th, 2020, 22:03
After pre-paying and waiting for the release of MSFS2020I am disappointed that I am unable to install the sim in any other folder than C\:Program Files\******. To conserve space on my C drive I want to install it on another partition where I have plenty of space. Any advice would be welcome.

SkippyBing
August 17th, 2020, 22:27
Google how to change the default location for Microsoft Store apps. There's a couple of settings to change in Windows settings but it worked for me. It uses symbolic links though so it will still look like you're installing on C but it'll report the space available as the drive you're actually using.

DennyA
August 17th, 2020, 22:28
It's odd that you don't get an option on which drive to install it. But no need to hassle with symbolic links; you can install it on C: and then move it.

Just install the program. Then, before you run it, go to Settings, Apps & Features, and click on Microsoft Flight Simulator. Then click "Move" and choose another drive.

One other thing to note: The main install is pretty small. Once you run it, you can choose a folder on any drive for the 100-gigabyte-ish data file collection.

Ganter
August 17th, 2020, 22:42
After pre-paying and waiting for the release of MSFS2020I am disappointed that I am unable to install the sim in any other folder than C\:Program Files\******. To conserve space on my C drive I want to install it on another partition where I have plenty of space. Any advice would be welcome.

Have a look here AussiMan;

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/unable-to-install-on-drive-other-than-c/124605/3

dvj
August 17th, 2020, 23:12
It's odd that you don't get an option on which drive to install it. But no need to hassle with symbolic links; you can install it on C: and then move it.

Just install the program. Then, before you run it, go to Settings, Apps & Features, and click on Microsoft Flight Simulator. Then click "Move" and choose another drive.

One other thing to note: The main install is pretty small. Once you run it, you can choose a folder on any drive for the 100-gigabyte-ish data file collection.

Indeed, the main install in C:Programs is very small. I'm downloading the 95gb of content right now to a separate 1TB SSD that will be dedicated to all things FS. The big content download seems fairly fast, but it is going to be a good hour or more to complete aircraft, airports, tutorials...... quite a list of items.

-d

blanston12
August 18th, 2020, 00:23

That is odd, when I started my download if first asked which of my three drives it wanted to install in, and then it also asked where I wanted to download and install the content, and actual folder that time. But at first started it, it seamed like it was not doing anything, I rebooted and then when I started it asked me what folder to install the content to, I of course told it the new SSD I installed for this purpose.

noddy
August 18th, 2020, 00:38
Yep I also had a choice of what drive to put it on.

Montie
August 18th, 2020, 12:13
I followed this when I installed the beta:
https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2016/02/17/how-to-change-the-windows-store-download-location/

AussieMan
August 18th, 2020, 22:01
I finally got the program insralled but now I am getting this error message.