PDA

View Full Version : DC Designs and MSFS

DC1973
August 14th, 2020, 11:02
Hi folks,

Thought I'd share a quick update regarding the airplanes that I've built for FSX & P3D that users here own. I'm in the process of converting them to MSFS right now. For those that don't know, I use Blender as a modeling tool, and it's not supported natively by MSFS. Myself and a group of developers from all corners ( Wing42, ORBX, iBlueYonder, Sim Works Studios, Gaya Simulations and others ) are working on a Blender converter with help from Asobo, which is now after some weeks of work bearing fruit.

All of my airplanes will in due course be converted to MSFS, and hopefully be released before not-too-long. Initially, they'll be ports with PBR and other MSFS goodies added, but as we learn more of the new tools and capabilities so they'll be further upgraded with 4K textures, higher-res modeling etc, to bring them fully up to standard. We'll be staying with the enjoyment / entertainment focus rather than study-level, but hope to have much more visual quality as we move forward with the new sim. ( FSX / P3D updates for the Super Hornets will still go ahead - we're just waiting for Concorde testing and launch ).

Just two images to share with you from MSFS. The Eagles will be the first conversion as they're somewhat simpler in geometry, followed by the Super Hornets, and then the Tomcats / Concorde. The future is most definitely bright for our hobby :mixed-smiley-010:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78233&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78234&stc=1

DaveWG
August 14th, 2020, 11:17
I've just been reading over at FSDeveloper that Vitus will be releasing a MSFS toolset for Blender on release day. Is this the same tool you're referring to, or is there another in development?

DC1973
August 14th, 2020, 12:12
I've just been reading over at FSDeveloper that Vitus will be releasing a MSFS toolset for Blender on release day. Is this the same tool you're referring to, or is there another in development?

Same one :)

DaveWG
August 14th, 2020, 12:30
Thanks Dean.
Your models are looking good in the new sim. Roll on Tuesday!

Sundog
August 14th, 2020, 14:40
Thanks for the update Dean. I don't know if you can answer this, due to the NDA, but does that mean the typical models for MSFS are designed to be exported from 3DS Max?

Thanks,
Ken

DC1973
August 14th, 2020, 23:42
Thanks for the update Dean. I don't know if you can answer this, due to the NDA, but does that mean the typical models for MSFS are designed to be exported from 3DS Max?

Thanks,
Ken

Yes, that's right - MSFS natively supports only 3DS Max. For other 3D modeling programs, exporters will have to be built by third parties. Fortunately, ours is well on its way which is a relief for Blenderers everywhere, to say the least :)

J.Case
August 15th, 2020, 01:46
THAT made my day :encouragement:

jmig
August 15th, 2020, 04:36
Glad to read this. Maybe I will be able to port my local airports that I have built. Thank you Dino and the others at FSDeveloper who spend so much time and energy on helping us little guys pretend we are developers. :)

TuFun
August 15th, 2020, 08:49
Best news I've heard today... support for Blender! :jump: