PDA

View Full Version : Need input for Donate for Freeware Idea

Cerberus
February 27th, 2009, 13:06
The thread is over in the FS2004 because I am thinking about testing this with our payware SkyUnlimited FS9 spitfire, but this idea could also apply to FSX releases.

Here is the thread
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=11906

In a nutshell, I set up a donation meter. When donations reach 100% say the equivalent of 50 normal sales for older aircraft I release them as freeware to everyone. Donations will go the developers of the product and to help fund new updates and products. The more feedback and information I can get the better.

I’ve noticed that the pirate websites receive more money in donations per month than many vendors make in most months including SkyUnlimited. So I don’t see how this idea can’t work, and it is completely pirate proof if we apply it to new releases. The people that can’t afford to donate at all, or who would normally share pirate links can contribute by encouraging others to donate and marketing the product.

Thanks

datter
February 27th, 2009, 13:43
You know, I think that's a pretty damned good idea though aren't you limiting yourself on #'s of sales?

harleyman
February 27th, 2009, 14:41
Hmmm In theory I think its great...

But there will always be those who wait for all else to donate and then get it free...

Honestly.....Who really can't afford an addon or two on ocassion...They got a computer,and pay for the electric and all to run it....And seem to keep the hardware updates enough to fly some of the latest....

Now I do know that there are probably a few on very tight incomes that actuallt may not be able to afford a new addon....

Its a toss up for me as to how it might actually work... I/m just thinking out loud here......

But it does seem restricting to the developer that way......Expecially as FSX is here to stay...

If FS11 was still comming out, then maybe yes to doing that....That way devs are guarenteed pretty much X amount of dollars for their efforts...

Cerberus
February 27th, 2009, 18:08
You know, I think that's a pretty damned good idea though aren't you limiting yourself on #'s of sales?

For now I only want to do it for the older aircraft. They still have life in them, but if we could generate some quick money off of them, it would be easier to fund new projects. That would be worth losing some sales. New project development has really slowed lately, as we have to stretch money further and further.

harleyman
February 27th, 2009, 18:22
For now I only want to do it for the older aircraft. They still have life in them, but if we could generate some quick money off of them, it would be easier to fund new projects. That would be worth losing some sales. New project development has really slowed lately, as we have to stretch money further and further.

And thats the other side of my coin..... Its a tough call for me...

But.. As said before..Its a very intresting approach, and it well may help keep devs going longer in these tight times....

Personally, I would be there to donate and support.... But then again I usually buy what I want anyway. So that opens up for folks like me the opportunuity to purchase something for lets say 1/2 of what I would have paid...Did that help the devs much? Thats my deal in the whole thing...

Cerberus
March 1st, 2009, 23:28
160 views doesn't seem much, and I bet 20 of them are me returning lol, so Its hard to tell how many people might do this in the entire community.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I’m still thinking of a way that It would be fair to the donators if the goal was not reached in a decent amount of time. Does anyone have a suggestion you think would make this more ideal, or make one more comfortable donating?

Thanks<o:p></o:p>

harleyman
March 2nd, 2009, 01:05
Hey Jessee...I hear ya about number of views.....This is uncharted ground.....

And thats a good point you bring up..What if the goal is not meet? hmmmm

I my life I have found that most people do not like change or the unknown..That is what this is....

I think it can catch on eventually, but who will stick their neck out and see how it goes???

I gotta ponder this more...LOL

Railrunner130
March 2nd, 2009, 04:41
I'd suggest doing what Alphasim does and release it when it's no longer cost effective to keep it on the website.

If you go with your original idea, I don't see any incentive to pay for the airplane. Just wait a bit and get it for free.

Mickey D
March 2nd, 2009, 11:30
It would make more sense to me to simply have a half price sale and keep hold of it for a while then simply erase it from your HD. I allowed much of my older stuff on Alphasim to go freeware and I now regret it as they don't reflect current quality.

Whitehawk
March 3rd, 2009, 19:26
160 views doesn't seem much, and I bet 20 of them are me returning lol, so Its hard to tell how many people might do this in the entire community.<o:p></o:p>
I’m still thinking of a way that It would be fair to the donators if the goal was not reached in a decent amount of time. Does anyone have a suggestion you think would make this more ideal, or make one more comfortable donating?

Thanks<o:p></o:p>

Would it work set it up so Donators got the DL link immediately?

N2056
March 3rd, 2009, 19:47
What kind of reaction have you gotten from the developers that sell through you on this?

DennyA
March 3rd, 2009, 20:45
Instead of the donations, how about trying a sale on the older planes?

Valve sold more Left 4 Dead copies during their weekend sale than they did when the game was first release. I've heard similar stories from price drops on other Steam and downloadable games.

Steam does some SERIOUS sales -- I've bought games I still haven't even played from Steam because they were only $5 or $10.

I'd guess if you tried selling the planes for $5 and really getting the word out beforehand, you could rack in more cash than through a donation setup. I'd buy just about any decent FSX plane without thinking twice at that price.

One guy's thinking on price:
$5 -- I'd buy without a second thought unless it was a truly boring plane.
$10 -- If I'm interested in the particular plane, I'd definitely buy it.
$20 -- only if I'm a huge fan of the plane
over $25 -- maybe if I'd actually flown in that plane in real life :-)

Maybe try a week-long $5 sale on one of the older planes?

Railrunner130
March 4th, 2009, 16:07
I'd agree with the prices and reasoning Denny brought up. They sound attractive to me.