PDA

View Full Version : FSX won't shut down

jschall
February 27th, 2009, 13:02
I am running FSX SP2 on Windows XP SP2. I have an AMD dual-core CPU, 2GB RAM, GeForce 7950GT with 512 MB video RAM, and a 640-GB Hard Disk.

For a few months now, FSX refuses to shut down when I click the little "x", - it asks if I am sure, the window disappears, but FSX is still running. A minute or so later, an error message appears saying FSX had a problem, would I like to send a report?

The only way to close FSX is with the Task Manager - End Process.

Does anybody have any suggestions to get FSX to shut down cleanly?

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint-Hilaire, Québec

Roger
February 27th, 2009, 13:07
If you remove your FsX.cfg and boot up FsX the sim will create a new cfg. Might be worth a try. If you save your old cfg you can copy any tweaks you made to the new cfg.

harleyman
February 27th, 2009, 14:13
Roger is correct.....You can also rerun disk number 1 and have FSX do a repair and see if that works for you....

Kiwikat
February 27th, 2009, 22:23
Simple solution- don't stop playing:173go1:

harleyman
February 28th, 2009, 03:19
Simple solution- don't stop playing:173go1:

Brilliant Idea..........LOL :applause:

Fantastic Fix there Kawikat :monkies:

jschall
February 28th, 2009, 11:23
If you remove your FsX.cfg and boot up FsX the sim will create a new cfg. Might be worth a try.

Thanks, Roger - but it didn't work.

I have a ****load of addons like FSUIPC that kept asking to be accepted - and I accepted them all. And there is surely at least one of 'em that is causing the same shutdown behaviour.

I will try again, accepting NONE of them...

- Jeff

harleyman
February 28th, 2009, 13:50
Hmmm Very Odd....

Did you try a FSX repair???

What addon was installed just before this happened if you can remember...

JT8D-9A
February 28th, 2009, 13:57
Did you already check with Filemon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx)?
And you can also disable (rename) your dll.xml and exe.xml.
If you use the repair function, files like the terrain.cfg will be replaced by their original and add-ons which had modified the terrain.cfg will have problems (UTX etc).

harleyman
February 28th, 2009, 14:00
Thats good to know about the Scenery config getting replaced....

I did not know that...Thanks.....:ernae:

jschall
March 1st, 2009, 03:12
Did you already check with Filemon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx)?

I guess that has become Microsoft's Process Monitor.

Could you elaborate on how to use Process Monitor to troubleshoot my problem of FSX not shutting down?

(I already use the Task Manager to see that FSX s still running, even though it has disapppeared from the taskbar).

- Jeff

EgoR64
March 1st, 2009, 03:45
:wavey:

Hi,

There is a Program called AlacrityPC, freeware, it will allow you to run just FSX with Nothing in the Background, see how this does and if FSX shuts, then you can rule out any issue with FSX itself, and try to find the process or program it is Conflicting with.

Very Strange, Last time I had issue with Programs not closing it turned out be a video driver driven issue.

Good Luck,

Cheers !!

jschall
March 1st, 2009, 05:04
There is a Program called AlacrityPC
Yeah, Alacrity is supposed to give FSX or other games more RAM to themselves, but it doesn't run on my PC, unfortunately. And I doubt if it would prevent a mis-behaved addon from mis-behaving, after fsx.exe loads that addon.

What I use to free up space for FSX is an old Neil Rubenking (PC Magazine) utility called EndItAll (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1554267,00.asp). But it doesn't prevent my fsx.exe shutdown problem.

I am convinced it's one of my many addons that isn't dealing properly with SP2. If I do nail it down, I'll report back here.

- Jeff

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 05:17
Actually Alrcity PC has nothing to do with Ram...It a userinterface that runs like a DOS program.It just has a nice simple interface that allows you to shutdown everything on your computer and launches FSX , or any game for that matter, plus close it...It should run on all sustems..I have used it on XP SP3 and Vista 64 SP1 with no problems

I hope you can trace back to the addon that killed it...

EgoR64
March 1st, 2009, 05:42
:wavey:

Hmmm,

May be some good stuff in here is a pre-SP1 thread by Phil, some good issue and problem solving going on, Phil refers to the Dr. Watson tool may be of help to pin point issue, also you are correct, if it is a 3rd party addon, it will be difficult to track.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/05/04/fsx-sp1-beta4-posted.aspx

Good Luck,

Cheers !!

JT8D-9A
March 1st, 2009, 10:47
I guess that has become Microsoft's Process Monitor.

Could you elaborate on how to use Process Monitor to troubleshoot my problem of FSX not shutting down?

(I already use the Task Manager to see that FSX s still running, even though it has disapppeared from the taskbar).

- Jeff

Hi Jeff,
i'm still using Filemon (besides ProcExplorer).
You can download it here: http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Filemon.zip

I think it's the best tool to find errors, but don't use it if you have no problems - otherwise the many error messages will make you nervous. But they are normal as long as they don't cause serious trouble.

If you load dlls with FSX, disable your dll.xml.
You can also check if it happens with the default aircraft and at every location.
And check for updates for all your add-ons - especially for dlls (FSrecorder, FSUIPC etc.).
I hope this helps!

jschall
March 1st, 2009, 12:19
check for updates for all your add-ons - especially for dlls (FSrecorder, FSUIPC etc.).

Thanks for the suggestions, JTD8D. I have updated a couple of add-ons - FSForce (I can't fly without it!) and FSUIPC4 (I don't really use it).

But the shutdown crash persists.

I tried running DrWatson, but he sees nothing wrong at all.

I ran Process Monitor, showing only the threads. After fsx "tries" to quit, I see a successful fsx.exe thread exit, but a few seconds later it opens/quits/opens several times. Then, for some reason dxdiag.exe opens tens of threads! So maybe it's related to video? My nVidia driver is kinda old (6.14.11.6218)

Any other ideas?

- Jeff

Snuffy
March 1st, 2009, 12:22
Press and hold the power button ... your machine will power off! :)

Roger
March 1st, 2009, 12:31
Thanks for the suggestions, JTD8D. I have updated a couple of add-ons - FSForce (I can't fly without it!) and FSUIPC4 (I don't really use it).

But the shutdown crash persists.

I tried running DrWatson, but he sees nothing wrong at all.

I ran Process Monitor, showing only the threads. After fsx "tries" to quit, I see a successful fsx.exe thread exit, but a few seconds later it opens/quits/opens several times. Then, for some reason dxdiag.exe opens tens of threads! So maybe it's related to video? My nVidia driver is kinda old (6.14.11.6218)

Any other ideas?
- Jeff
Your Nvidia driver is ancient. Any reason why you haven't updated?

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 13:09

Good eye there Roger.... It might just be his hang.Expecially if has a newer edition vid card.......:applause:

jschall
March 2nd, 2009, 03:48

Yes, because I'm not sure how best to do that.

Are there any how-to's here or elsewhere online for cleaning out old driver remnants before installing the new one?

I have Driver Cleaner Pro, which I believe is part of the process.

- Jeff

harleyman
March 2nd, 2009, 05:26
Jeff...Its simple

Go to add / remove programs

Find your driver for Nvidia....Select remove / uninstall ( be careful here, a box may pop up and give you driver options...Just select Display drivers in that case ONLY)

Then run Driver cleaner( not 100% necessary as you are moving up not down) and once again select just display drivers)

Then reboot your computer...Install your new driver, and set your screen native resolution......Then set up your Nvidia Control Panel how you had it before...

jschall
March 2nd, 2009, 07:16
Jeff...Its simple

Thank you for the encouragement, Harleyman.

I actually read the Driver Cleaner manual, and now my nVidia driver is up to date.

FSX is running smoothly, but there is still some addon/dll that is causing the .exe to re-start, then crash to desktop.

- Jeff

harleyman
March 2nd, 2009, 07:18
If you can locate your add on dll's then you can move them to your desk top..If this mess then stops happening you can add them back in a couple at a time..Then when it happens again, you will only have a few then to test by removing and loading FSX again...

jschall
March 3rd, 2009, 13:26
FSX is running smoothly, but there is still some addon/dll that is causing the .exe to re-start, then crash to desktop.

Found it!

FS Web Communicator, from FS Commercial:
http://www.fs-commercial.net/FSWebCommunicator/Main/tabid/90/Default.aspx

But I will miss this unique utility, that lets you look up stuff on the Web (or on your PC, if it's in html or pdf format) in a transparent window that floats over your FSX screen - even full-screen.

- Jeff

harleyman
March 3rd, 2009, 14:37
Great news....Their used to be apps like that in FS9 that allowed you to web browse during flight..There may even be one for FSX better than the one you had..i don't know but I'll ask around on that...Glad you found it and got it fixed..That must have been annoying..LOL

Seaking055
March 3rd, 2009, 15:45
I've been using NFR for years and it works well cleaning out all the old left behind drivers once you have installed new, you can find it here
http://downloads.guru3d.com/nVidia---Nasty-File-Remover-download-582.html

Guru3D has a wealth of info for you.

In my experience don't just install new drivers over the old, uninstall the ones you have, the reboot, then install the new, then run NFR just to be on the safe side.

You will also see all the latest driver downloads on this site, I had the card you have for some time and had no issues at all.

Hope that helps

Yes, because I'm not sure how best to do that.

Are there any how-to's here or elsewhere online for cleaning out old driver remnants before installing the new one?

I have Driver Cleaner Pro, which I believe is part of the process.

- Jeff