PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tom Clancy's HAWX PC demo on March 2nd

SolarEagle
February 27th, 2009, 11:23
If anybody is interested in checking out the latest 'flying game', the HAWX PC demo will be released on Monday. The official site will host the demo from 5pm GMT. It supports Track IR too.

http://hawxgame.uk.ubi.com/

http://resources.ubi.com/resources/85/85812-Realism_and_Technology_normal.jpg

war.ace
February 27th, 2009, 11:25
I'm downloading the demo right now for ps3 I can't wait!

Quixoticish
February 27th, 2009, 11:28
It's a cracking shoot em up. A lot of people are having hissy fits because it's not what they expected but it's not in any way a simulator; it's a third person action game that just happens to have things that vaguely resemble aircraft in.

I'll definitely be picking it up once the price drops a bit.

Incidentally it's most definitely a console game, I imagine the PC port will suffer from the usual symptoms of a poor port over so if you have a 360 or PS3 that would be the sensible system to pick it up for.

SolarEagle
February 27th, 2009, 11:59
I don't know about that, with PC you get Track IR and proper flight control support, such as Saitek X52. PC visuals will also be superior due to the very low levels of AA and filtering used on consoles. I wouldn't personally want to give up the PC advanages to play on a console.

JimC1702
February 27th, 2009, 12:27
That pic reminded me of "Strike Commander". Anyone remember that one? I thought it was fun, I also liked the "Wing Commander" series that preceeded it.

Jim

war.ace
February 27th, 2009, 12:30
I just played the demo and it was intense!!! It's not just like those boring one mission/one target games. Your mission and targets actually changes. one minute your chasing a plane, the next minute your'e shooting at ground targets.

Quixoticish
February 27th, 2009, 13:33
I don't know about that, with PC you get Track IR and proper flight control support, such as Saitek X52. PC visuals will also be superior due to the very low levels of AA and filtering used on consoles. I wouldn't personally want to give up the PC advanages to play on a console.

At the end of the day I keep my quick half hour blast games for consoles, and more demanding games (first person shooters, real time strategy and simulation) for the PC. This definitely falls into the category of a mindless quick half hour blast type of game.

hinch
February 27th, 2009, 14:21
Quite pretty but feels like a 90's arcade game. The only good 90's arcade games are Sega Rally and Time Crisis.

SirBenn21
February 27th, 2009, 14:37
Been waiting for this one for a while.
Looks fun!

JT8D-9A
March 4th, 2009, 06:19
Is someone able to start it under Win7?
I could install it but it won't start.
I did install the new NV driver and i don't have problems with other games :help:

EDIT: OK, it's working. I had to start the exe directly.
Hmm.. not a really cool game. Do i have to fly the whole time with AB and only the speedbrake is influencing the speed?

EDIT2: Never mind! Uninstalled...

Kiwikat
March 4th, 2009, 09:16
Quite pretty but feels like a 90's arcade game. The only good 90's arcade games are Sega Rally and Time Crisis.

Raiden was a lot of fun too. I've got the Raiden Project for the original playstation (includes Raiden and Raiden II). It's gotta be the best scrolling airplane shooter out there.

Odie
March 4th, 2009, 10:30
That pic reminded me of "Strike Commander". Anyone remember that one? I thought it was fun, I also liked the "Wing Commander" series that preceeded it.

Jim

The first game I experienced that took a whooping 50 megs of space on the HD !! It had a fistful of 3.5 floopies that you had to load.

Enjoyed the game a lot as well as the premise behind it.

Gdavis101
March 4th, 2009, 12:15
I figured it would be a lot like Ace Combat 6 for the 360..

CHBTheDoctor
March 6th, 2009, 03:48
I took a short look at the demo and thought: Crimson Skies

http://www.microsoft.com/Games/crimsonskies/

Even the graphics are not overwhelming, if that's the way Microsoft wants to go with flight simulation:faint:

Lionheart
March 6th, 2009, 09:00
<--- extreme Crimson Skies nut here. :d

I want my own Zeppenlin with belly lauchers and mammoth maintenance hanger inside with my office overlooking the birds sitting in there....

:rapture:

Piglet
March 6th, 2009, 19:42
Tried it but couldn't get it to start. Freezes up at the "rated for teens(or whoever)" message. Guess I wasn't meant to take time off from plane making....
But I did get my Space Shuttle sim going....:rapture:

DaveKDEN
March 7th, 2009, 07:35
Got it running OK, but is there any way to shift views to inside the cockpit (or even to chase view)?

JorisVandenBerghe
March 7th, 2009, 12:39
<--- extreme Crimson Skies nut here. :d

I want my own Zeppenlin with belly lauchers and mammoth maintenance hanger inside with my office overlooking the birds sitting in there....

:rapture:
At least someone who was thinking the same as me when he saw HAWX for the first time...:wavey:. Loved the game, sad it was so unstable (it crashed from time to time, or didn't load correctly).

But I don't like HAWX, it's too arcade...Crimson Skies was way better than this in my opinion.

JIMJAM
March 7th, 2009, 12:41
Every mission starts in the air,ends in the air.
200 or so missles and the annoying canned testosterone induced Top Gun babble.
Planes handle like a mouse cursor.
But ANYTHING other than another "aliens taking over the world "shooter is fine with me.

Dangerous Beans
March 7th, 2009, 12:58
I tried it and didnt like it at all.

I was expecting it to be arcade but even if dumed down I at least expected it to have some vaige feeling of flying an airplane.

It was nothing like flying at all, that and the throttle didnt seem to have any affect on speed, the only way to slow down seemed to be to hit the brake.

Oh well, uninstalled and struck from my possible buy list.

CHBTheDoctor
March 9th, 2009, 04:57
@JorisVandenBerghe:
Yes, Crimson Skies was better...

What's HAWX^-1 ?

DCS Blackshark !

German Boxed Version is out since March 7th, got my copy last saturday:woot:

ryanbatc
March 9th, 2009, 07:04
How hard was it to get your 920 up to 4.2 GHz?

Are you using the Thermalright 1366 cooler?

Also, I just tried it, terrible...

It's more suited for the console, theres really no flying in it, you just shoot down airplanes, and theres no skill invovled. Not to mention it had a heck of a time responding to my joystick and CH throttle input sigh

Bjoern
March 9th, 2009, 09:50
I took a short look at the demo and thought: Crimson Skies

http://www.microsoft.com/Games/crimsonskies/

Even the graphics are not overwhelming, if that's the way Microsoft wants to go with flight simulation:faint:

Crimson Skies is from 2001; back when Microsoft used to publish few, but truly outstanding games.

Excellent aircraft game, but sometimes extremely frustrating.

I gave HAWX a spin at the Thrustmaster booth during last year's Games Convention in Leipzig. Quite fun, especially with a HOTAS system. The booth guy was very impressed with my flying skill since I didn't need all the fancy-schmanzy tricks the developers built in ("Cobra" and whatever).
He gave me an exclusive HOTAS t-shirt since I was so interested in the hardware, plus an invitation to beta-test new Thrustmaster flightsticks.
Haven't taken part in the tests yet though, since my Thrustmaster flightstick still works very well.

Gdavis101
March 10th, 2009, 18:30
Played with the Xbox 360 demo today, have to say at first I was all fired up to go and buy it but after playing the demo for about twenty minutes, I got bored with the game. Way to much like Ace Combat 6..

Edric
March 10th, 2009, 22:35
Tom Clancy's Hawx is essentially geared towards fans of arcade shooters. I have to admit I found the word 'simulation' hardly appropriate to describe Ubisoft's latest production. Physics wise, gravity is practically non-existent. Rolling the plane left or right wil still keep you going as straight as an imaginary ruler will go in the sky. To actually turn, you would have to apply backward stick pressure. Speed is the key factor in the game.

Having said that, I found this game highly entertaining. Its fun! That is if you are willing to forget everything a real flight simulator taught you. Once you get past that, it's the dodging of missiles and high G-turns that will keep you hooked. The single player mission is pretty standard, go there shoot that, go here shoot more of that. But, once you get to online team death match, it's a whole new ballgame. Set it to realistic mode (where you only get the number of missiles a real plane can carry) and you can expect decent dogfights, cannons blazing.

Having played Falcon 4.0 and IL2, I've always wanted to get my hands on the Ace Combat series, but since I don't have a Xbox360, Hawx is the closest thing a PC gamer is going to get.

Like others who have said, it's a good game but not a great one. Just some of my thoughts after playing the PC demo.

Gdavis101
March 11th, 2009, 15:51
I went back to the 360 demo last night and gave it a bit more of a chance. Its fun, just not what I was expecting. What controls do you use in the PC version?

Rio sure looks good!

Edric
March 11th, 2009, 19:07
I went back to the 360 demo last night and gave it a bit more of a chance. Its fun, just not what I was expecting. What controls do you use in the PC version?

Rio sure looks good!

I'm using a Xbox controller for Windows only because my joystick keeps freezing the game.:karate: Hawx runs pretty well on my ancient E6400 dual-core compared to FSX. But then again, they are 2 completely different engines.