PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Flight Sim....New Hardware

Seahawk72s
July 15th, 2020, 10:19
For those planning on getting new hardware, are there any suggestions on resources selling assembled high end gear...?

Brytskiva
July 15th, 2020, 11:58
For those planning on getting new hardware, are there any suggestions on resources selling assembled high end gear...?

Try New Egg .. they got a lot , but i donīt know ....

DennyA
July 15th, 2020, 12:55
Seahawk72s, are you looking to build your own system, or looking for preassembled?

I'm looking at:
Intel i7-10700K or AMT 3900X/XT
Appropriate Asus ROG Strix motherboard
Nvidia RTX 2070
32GB RAM
2TB SSD
And an old hard drive for non-speed-dependent storage

You don't NEED that for MSFS, but it's more future-proof. I'm writing this on a rig I put together in 2011 that's still a decent performer because I had a pricey (then) 6 core i7.

Mach3DS
July 15th, 2020, 13:13

Are you talking flight controls or PC?

Seahawk72s
July 15th, 2020, 15:45
Are you talking flight controls or PC?

My bad, a pre-assembled PC...

DennyA
July 15th, 2020, 16:56
Back in my writing days I reviewed a few Cyberpower PCs and they were nice rigs, though I've heard mixed reviews about their tech support.

Falcon NW is the top-of-the-line with amazing support, but they are pricey.

If your name means you're in the Seattle area, you should also check out Puget Systems -- good hardware and great support, but like Falcon, premium priced.

I've also seen rigs by BLD by NZXT, iBuyPower, and AvaDirect, and they were all good hardware, but I'm not familiar with how good their after-sale support is.

Javis
July 15th, 2020, 17:33
Can't help noticing this Alienware Aurora keeps winking at me now that MSFS is about to land on my doorstep (i9 10900KF,GF RTX2080Ti, 32GB DC HyperXFury DDR4XMP)

(here we go again, Finally the good ol days are back i.e. a new FS version gets released ipso facto buy a new computer! Love it ! :very_drunk: )

I'm familiar with Dell and Alienware (in the Netherlands). IMHO great products and great service. Seems to me though that the quality has been going down hill a bit. (although i bought a Dell 32" curved monitor a while ago which i truly adore)

tommieboy
July 16th, 2020, 10:30
Thanks for the leads on the pre-assembled rigs. I going to take the pre-assembled route this time when it comes to upgrading my entire rig. My last pre-assembled rig was my old ZEOS 386SX-20 rig way back when, ever since then I built my own rigs. In fact I brought the ZEOS 386SX-20 to get my feet into flight simming! Prior to that I had a Leading Edge Model D with no hard drive and a monochrome screen. I really loved both of those computers. :encouragement:

Tommy

Mach3DS
July 16th, 2020, 10:59
ha...I'm also in the Puget Sound Area. I just built a new PC about 1 month ago. All parts ordered from AMAZON/New Egg/B&H.

Total Build was Just over $2600

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Gigabyte AORUS MASTER X570 MB
NOCTUA DH-15 Chromax Black CPU cooler
32 GB TRIDENT Z NEO 3600mhz RAM
1TB WD BLACK SN750 nvme SSD
GIGABYTE RTX 2080 Super 8GB
Fractal Meshify S2 Case
SeaSonic 850W Gold PSU
Win10 Pro 64

Moses03
July 16th, 2020, 11:11
I reviewed a few Cyberpower PCs and they were nice rigs, though I've heard mixed reviews about their tech support.

I purchased a Cyberpower rig a few years ago on the advice of another SOH member. It's still running strong and the two times early on I dealt with their tech support was great.

My two cents-
Kevin

Bomber_12th
July 16th, 2020, 11:37
Late last year I purchased the pre-assembled Lenovo Legion T730 with the exact specs in my signature and I've been thrilled with it. I spent $1,800 for it at the time (before tax) as it was among the sales on Lenovo's website on Black Friday last November. I see the most similar versions currently running $2,300-$2,400 right now, but I would expect there to be good deals again come next Black Friday. Numerous reviews on Youtube.

jimjones
July 23rd, 2020, 10:41
I purchased a Cyberpower 10 years ago. PC worked fine and I was satisfied with a minimum service request

I'm considering, for FS2020, from Cyberpower the following prebuilt:

The Gamer Infinity 8800 Pro about $2100 with modifications:

Corsair 275R Mid tower case
Intel Core processor I7 10700K 8/16 3.8 GHz (Turbo 5.1 GHz) 16 Mb cache
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z490-V
Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU air cooler w/PWM fan
RAM/System memory 16Gb DDR4/3000MHz Corsair Vengence
Video card GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8Gb GDDR6 Turing
Power Supply 850 w Corsair RM series
Primary Drive 1T WD Blue Series SSD
Secondary Drive 1 TB WD Blue 7200RPM HDD

I don't intend to overclock.

DennyA
July 23rd, 2020, 11:26
That looks good, but if you're wanting this rig to keep going for a long time, I'd go ahead and get 32GB of RAM.

Even though FS lists 16GB for requirements, who knows what kinds of crazy add-on utilities people might come up with in the next few years. Better to have some headroom.

StormILM
July 23rd, 2020, 12:58
On suggestion here, I went with a Falcon Northwest rig, i9-900k, 32gb Memory, RTX2080ti 11gb. It came with an M2 1tg SSD but I installed a pair of Samsung 1tb Sata III SSD's and a Seagate Barracuda 4tb HDD. They configured the bays to accommodate the extra drives. I am totally satisfied with my acquisition, comes with a base 3 year warranty and water cooling. They also give you a ton of spare cable and connector hardware not to mention a lot of nice extras!

dvj
July 23rd, 2020, 15:03
Memory is easily upgradeable. I went with 64 gb, GSkill Trident Z Neo with a motherboard that will support up to 128gb if needed down the road. I did do with a new display. LG 48" wide.

rhumbaflappy
July 26th, 2020, 15:35
Before buying any new hardware, I'd first run the sim on your existing hardware. You might be surprised at how well it works. Just make sure you meet the minimum specs required. And be sure to have an updated version of Windows 10.