PDA

View Full Version : MSFS Preorder!

TuFun
July 13th, 2020, 05:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqJALPVn0Y

(https://www.flightsimulator.com/product-description/)https://www.flightsimulator.com/product-description/

(https://www.flightsimulator.com/product-description/)

paiken
July 13th, 2020, 05:38
You beat me to it. $119.99! Not too bad considering what the previews have been showing and that you won't need to buy weather and scenery add ons. August 18th is the magic release date.

YoYo
July 13th, 2020, 05:45
Yep, nice!

https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-set-for-launch-on-august-18-for-pc-also-with-xbox-game-pass-for-pc-beta/

But what about VR mode?

Boss86001
July 13th, 2020, 05:48
Exciting news! :applause:

Daube
July 13th, 2020, 06:06
No VR or TrackIR yet, current Alpha is still full of bugs, missing things and other major problems, and they plan only a less-than-a-month month beta testing phase ???
This is ridiculous...

YoYo
July 13th, 2020, 06:10
No VR or TrackIR yet, current Alpha is still full of bugs, missing things and other major problems, and they plan only a less-than-a-month month beta testing phase ???
This is ridiculous...

LOL :dizzy:! No Track IR also..... is this a joke?

Daube
July 13th, 2020, 06:24
One of the worst thing is: a good part of the aircraft listed in the release pictures were never ever tested by any alpha testers.
Means that the sim will be released with totally untested aircrafts...
Seriously, they announced a B-787 ?? And nobody has seen it yet, one month before the release ?
My expectations on the quality of the new sim have just dropped a bit :/

But that's not a big issue. Since I also use VR, the new sim will not be usable for me at release anyways. I guess they'll need a few months to implement that feature, so hopefully they can also implement a few bug fixes and make the aircraft a bit more believable in the meanwhile...

blanston12
July 13th, 2020, 07:28
I agree with Daube in my worry about all the new aircraft. Looking at the list if available aircraft, about 9 of the 30 are in the alpha and I worry about the other 20+ that have never been tested. Of the aircraft listed It disturbs me that there is only one float plane (Icon A5) and no helicopters. It also worries me that the aircraft included so far are very modern, if you don't like flat panel displays your going to be disappointed. I would have liked to see more of the older aircraft that were in FSX and FS9, my vote would have been for a DC-3, Grumman Goose and/or Float beaver.

But things are looking better. Over the weekend I decided to give the alpha a serious try and fly around the world using the C208, since its an aircraft I also have for FSX and P3D so I can give it a good compare. So far so good, I have gotten from KOAK (Oakland) to CYOW (Ottawa) without too many mishaps which I was not able to do in any of the earlier alphas. Still lacking a few things but its becoming more usable.

I still would like to know about there allowing of freeware and if there will be any compatibility path for older aircraft.

centuryseries
July 13th, 2020, 07:33
LOL :dizzy:! No Track IR also..... is this a joke?

I've pre-ordered, but based on the lack of VR support from the outset - that is a little troubling given that VR and Track IR are mature enough to bring another level to the experience....

But we'll see what its like!

Maybe there will be a Flyinside version for this one....?

Bomber_12th
July 13th, 2020, 07:36
This sim has already been in development now for 5-6 years. It will be interesting to see just how different the beta and release versions are compared to the series of open alphas we've had access to. I know from its earliest public showings and discussions last year that the dev team outlined that they will be providing continuous support and upgrades to the sim after its release for up to 10 years to come - this has included mention of eventual Track IR and VR support, eventual inclusion of helicopters, eventual/likely updating to DX12 at some point, and continued improvements to such things as the scenery (such as more photogrammetry cities as they continue to be produced for Bing Maps over time). Although the sim has snow, seasons are still a future wishlist item too.

I am content with the pricing model, as it is just what I expected it would be as long as they didn't go the subscription route (thankful they didn't), and I pre-ordered the full shebang. I personally think it is a fantastic line-up of aircraft, though I still think they should have included a Stearman (for vintage, and there's thousands of them still flying today). I'm looking forward to all of the additional aircraft which weren't part of the open alpha and have only been undergoing testing in-house to-date by their own testing personnel/teams - some of those aircraft which haven't been part of the open alphas have already been previewed in Asobo's/Microsoft's videos/screenshots since last summer.

Since the start of May, and getting to test MSFS "2020", I haven't spent more than 10-15 minutes in P3Dv5 (I just can't do it any more, it all looks too fake and insignificant by comparison to MSFS).

wombat666
July 13th, 2020, 08:12
There are 3 levels with 'Basic' coming in at A$99:90 and the 'Premium' at the fat end of A$160+++.
Rather pricey considering you get 20 aircraft in the Basic compared with 30 in the Premium version.
I don't think so, it smells strongly of a rushed release.
:pirate:

Naismith
July 13th, 2020, 08:13
History has taught me to hang fire and let other people be the guinea pigs. And why would anybody go for the 'economy' version, I seem to recall with FSX there being a 2 tier system which caused headaches for those who wanted to upgrade, then Acceleration happened and Gold. Oi Veh!

cavaricooper
July 13th, 2020, 08:19
I'm watching all of this, and waiting. That said, I believe 80% of the entertainment market (the real entertainment market, which actually probably means 99% of all forum posters/readers) will be on MSFS in 1 year's time. What matters to me is the simulator- not the fluff. I am waiting until I know what the Basic vs. Premium Deluxe provides simulator wise. Will there be any SIMULATOR features that the Basic version will lack... i.e. if I fly a 3rd party a/c to and from 3rd party airports, will I miss out not having the Premium Deluxe? The default airports and aircraft are not anything I plan on using atm... but depending on release quality even that might change :)

Hence the wait and watch approach.

Best- C

thunder100
July 13th, 2020, 08:25
Hello

Simple question

on PC is it on hard disk or will content come via Internet ?

That as Internet is an issue here

Thanks for an answer

Roland

Mach3DS
July 13th, 2020, 08:45
This whole train is Internet based. You can CACHE certain areas that you want to fly in offline. Supposed to be able to download those areas. But this baby is streaming content. 10 years support only?? Wow they have no idea how long it takes to make a complex addon do they? No VRS or A2A then or PMDG for FS2020. Some of these products will take the half life of the sim to create... if they even support external system or flight modeling....which I've heard it will not.

paiken
July 13th, 2020, 09:08
Hello

Simple question

on PC is it on hard disk or will content come via Internet ?

That as Internet is an issue here

Thanks for an answer

Roland
The program itself will be available on Disks for European customers only. Everyone else will need to download. As for the scenery, it will be streamed via internet OR you can download an area and fly offline if your internet connection is spotty/slow. The live weather and real world traffic/multiplayer etc will require an internet connection.

dvj
July 13th, 2020, 09:19
This sim has already been in development now for 6 years. It will be interesting to see just how different the beta and release versions are compared to the series of open alphas we've had access to. I know from its earliest public showings and discussions last year that the dev team outlined that they will be providing continuous support and upgrades to the sim after its release for up to 10 years to come - this has included mention of eventual Track IR and VR support, eventual inclusion of helicopters, eventual/likely updating to DX12 at some point, and continued improvements to such things as the scenery (such as more photogrammetry cities as they continue to be produced for Bing Maps over time). Although the sim has snow, seasons are still a future wishlist item too.

I am content with the pricing model, as it is just what I expected it would be as long as they didn't go the subscription route (thankful they didn't), and I pre-ordered the full shebang. I personally think it is a fantastic line-up of aircraft, though I still think they should have included a Stearman (for vintage, and there's thousands of them still flying today). I'm looking forward to all of the additional aircraft which weren't part of the open alpha and have only been undergoing testing in-house to-date by their own testing personnel/teams - some of those aircraft which haven't been part of the open alphas have already been previewed in Asobo's/Microsoft's videos/screenshots since last summer.

Since the start of May, and getting to test MSFS "2020", I haven't spent more than 10-15 minutes in P3Dv5 (I just can't do it any more, it all looks too fake and insignificant by comparison to MSFS).

The most sensible post I've read in a long time. Thank you!

CG_1976
July 13th, 2020, 09:21
Downloading scenery?? So is it like XP?? in XP you have download the base scenery and select which area's you want and can revisit to download more. If it's similar to this then im in, but will wait at the pier for while as I hate bugs in my virtual cockpit lol.

Bomber_12th
July 13th, 2020, 09:40
What you install on your hard drive with this new MSFS is the core sim with a lowered-level of scenery (like an FSX or P3D installation). However, in order to get the highest-quality photo scenery (including the photogrammetry cities), as shown in the preview videos and screenshots, you have to have an active internet connection in order to actively stream that data on the fly, while you're in the sim flying. Microsoft's servers house over 2 petabytes of scenery data which is what is accessed when you're connected online with the sim (real time weather, real time traffic, and multiplayer of course all require internet too). While you're connected you can cache the scenery, meaning that it saves it to your computer while your flying and you can then fly over that same area, with the high quality scenery, in offline mode. By saying this I don't think I'm breaking with the NDA as this has all been discussed in the preview videos and presentations done by Asobo and Microsoft for the sim already. There is more that I'd like to say but I don't want to say anything that isn't already in the public domain.

Rick, with regard to the 10-year remark, I should have included "at least" in front of that. As of back in the middle of May, there were already over 200 3rd party developer companies working on developing for this sim (PMDG is confirmed (more I wish I could say) and A2A has to be another), as well as over 400 individual 3rd party developers already had access to the SDK by that point.

This video is from a Q&A that Asobo and Microsoft held about the sim way back in September of last year which I figured most have already seen and know much about, but just in-case anyone hasn't, it probably answers a lot of questions you might have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ppN8HjZGk
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ppN8HjZGk)
Speaking of another major sim, DCS, the owner of the development company for that sim has stated in detail in recent months about how they cannot themselves be as successful as they can in keeping that sim going forward unless they continue doing what they have been doing in continuing to release DCS as an always advancing open beta, allowing the thousands of users to report bugs and not have to add an additional 2-3 years of development time prior to release just for in-house testing for each module or significant update. It's a successful business model for them and it allows the user base to be directly involved in the continued development and refinement of the sim

thunder100
July 13th, 2020, 09:59
Thanks a lot everybody

Understand

As I have FSX and P3DV4.4 I will give it a try-i Am from Europe- so something on HD

Roland

n4gix
July 13th, 2020, 10:24
I pre-ordered the Premium version, and it eventually installed the "Launcher" on my sim computer...

...but now, my Alpha won't run at all any longer? Oh well, it's not really a tragedy, but it is peculiar! :dizzy:

Bomber_12th
July 13th, 2020, 10:28
To me it is really quite remarkable that this sim is being released at a fixed price and not a subscription model, given the inclusion of data from NAVBLUE, Meteoblue, and FlightAware, all continuously updated, as well as of course the use of the Microsoft servers. I'm glad the head of development for the sim was so against subscription pricing and could see that most end users would be against it too.

Mach3DS
July 13th, 2020, 11:37
To me it is really quite remarkable that this sim is being released at a fixed price and not a subscription model, given the inclusion of data from NAVBLUE, Meteoblue, and FlightAware, all continuously updated, as well as of course the use of the Microsoft servers. I'm glad the head of development for the sim was so against subscription pricing and could see that most end users would be against it too.

There's a nice little "+" sign at the top of the purchase page that states in contains in App purchases. So microtransactions....I bet we haven't see it all yet. Hopefully not the case. But who knows....remember it's going to xbox as well...wouldn't surprise me if they gave the community the double deuce and made paying for new paints a thing.

Mach3DS
July 13th, 2020, 11:55
From my buddy who is in the alpha and says he agrees with this Reddit user. So hopefully it's not this bad....I'm not pre ordering yet. No sense in giving them my $120 yet. It's not likely going to change pricing. This looks to be the set price tag.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/423534348361531394/732319305491939349/unknown-4.png

DennyA
July 13th, 2020, 12:45
If you want to see for yourself when the sim releases, keep in mind you can sign up for a $1 trial to PC Game Pass and play the sim (and 100+ games) for a month. You don't need to subscribe to Game Pass to fly the sim, but Game Pass subscribers do get access to it, so it's an inexpensive alternative if you're not ready to commit to buying it:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/pc-games/

Just sign up on release day, and then set a reminder in your calendar to visit your account page (https://account.microsoft.com/services/) and cancel before the 30 day trial is up and you'll only be out a buck to fly the sim for a month.

DC1973
July 13th, 2020, 12:52
From my buddy who is in the alpha and says he agrees with this Reddit user. So hopefully it's not this bad....I'm not pre ordering yet. No sense in giving them my $120 yet. It's not likely going to change pricing. This looks to be the set price tag.

I don't know what he's been looking at, but I haven't seen anything like that. It could possibly depend on where we're flying, respectively, and of course there are indeed bugs and things that need ironing out, but jeez - this is without a doubt the biggest leap forward for flight simulation that we've ever seen. An open beta seems to be the way of things these days for major launches, with bugs and community requests ironed out and added respectively over time. My trees are normally sized and correctly placed, flight model seems good although somewhat "twitchy" and over-sensitive to turbulence ( and I say that as a PPL ). My only major gripe is with the controls ( hard to program ) and cameras ( same issue ). Other than that it's beautiful and has tremendous potential for the future.

StormILM
July 13th, 2020, 14:01
I pre-ordered the full package. What I saw was enough to pull the trigger.

TiAr
July 13th, 2020, 14:36
Most of the alpha testers are really pissed. No one word about further streaming costs (I am sure, they come). One enhanced airport in germany in deluxe. You don´t want to see pictures of default airports around - based on FSX data. No DX12. No SDK out.

Thomas

Mach3DS
July 13th, 2020, 14:52
Yeah, I'm not so sure that it's the biggest leap forward in flight "flight simulation". I think it might be the biggest leap forward in Weather engine simulation and Procedural object creation and photogrametry. But not so sure about actual "flight" simulation. Not from what I've heard. From what I've heard, it's a step back in terms of actual flight "simulation". I guess we'll wait for the time when everyone is free to talk. I'm not spending my money yet. But there's no reason to not spend your money how you see fit! It's yours! :)

Bomber_12th
July 13th, 2020, 16:11
Most of the alpha testers are really pissed. No one word about further streaming costs (I am sure, they come). One enhanced airport in germany in deluxe. You don´t want to see pictures of default airports around - based on FSX data. No DX12. No SDK out.

The only FSX airport data they used was the original list of FSX airports, and which they vastly expanded upon. All of the details of the MSFS2020 default airports are completely new, down to the runways, tarmacs, taxiways, structures, etc., all procedurally and manually created based on the Bing Maps aerials, not FSX data. Those that I've seen completed are nothing like FSX airports (not to mention no FSX airports had sloped runways, while every single runway in MSFS2020 has slopes, hills and valleys based on the real runways they replicate).

The sim has been in development since at least 2016, hence keeping it set in DX11 (which looks better than any current sim). It has been reported that they may very well upgrade the sim to DX12 at some point in the future.

The SDK, as of mid-May, was already in the hands of over 400 individual 3rd party developers who had asked for it, and who became SDK testers as well. From what I've heard, the SDK will be public after the release of the sim.

Mach3DS
July 13th, 2020, 17:04
John, this! Yes, eagerly awaiting to.hear from developers the no holds barred truth. Hopefully all fears to rest! It looks too incredible to have it be a lame duck.

pilto von pilto
July 13th, 2020, 17:33
Have to ask Why pre-order ?

I'm a gamer at heart. I understand pre-order bonus's like a different armour package for your doomslayer in doom/ weapon packs etc but I cant see the reason to pre-order, there doesnt seem to be a bonus reason. I mean there isnt a "pre-order now and get the game 2 days before general release and a special edition westland lysander" offer. Or special pricing.

Are they going to run out of product... on a server ?

Brytskiva
July 13th, 2020, 17:58
Preorder is for the sale admins to now what to expect , and they got 1million $ + only today ;) ..... my guess :untroubled:

HB

Bomber_12th
July 13th, 2020, 17:59
I don't know what he's been looking at, but I haven't seen anything like that. It could possibly depend on where we're flying, respectively, and of course there are indeed bugs and things that need ironing out, but jeez - this is without a doubt the biggest leap forward for flight simulation that we've ever seen. An open beta seems to be the way of things these days for major launches, with bugs and community requests ironed out and added respectively over time. My trees are normally sized and correctly placed, flight model seems good although somewhat "twitchy" and over-sensitive to turbulence ( and I say that as a PPL ). My only major gripe is with the controls ( hard to program ) and cameras ( same issue ). Other than that it's beautiful and has tremendous potential for the future.

Excellent points, DC! I also feel that that Reddit user was a waste of an alpha tester position that could have been filled by someone who could have actually contributed something to the alpha testing. The lighting/graphics engine (should be in bold), the photo scenery, the AI-generated trees and buildings, the AI-generated night lighting, the weather (should be in bold), the flight planning, the live air traffic, the airports and airport life, the aircraft visuals inside and out, the sounds and sound environments, systems modeling and failures and the flight dynamics I think are all revolutionary/state of the art, and all of this in an "out of the box", no addons, sim. As for the controls, as is the case with some other sims like DCS, it is important to spend some time tuning the sensitivity curves, which will differ from one user's peripherals to the next (gets rid of the twitchy-ness) - I have all of the aileron, elevator and rudder axis sensitivity curves set at -25 for my CH Products Fighterstick and rudder pedals. I found it no harder to program controllers than doing so in any other new sim/game for the first time.

I was flying over the mountains around Yosemite yesterday with the C208 and it's probably a good thing VR is not currently supported as I probably would have lost my lunch due to some of the violent updrafts and downdrafts I encountered (otherwise a very stable aircraft most of the time).

Bomber_12th
July 13th, 2020, 18:10
Very good point, pilto von pilto. :)

(Having done the preorder, it says in my account that it releases/is available on August 17th, not the 18th as is described elsewhere.)

Mach3DS
July 13th, 2020, 18:41
Excellent points, DC! I also feel that that Reddit user was a waste of an alpha tester position that could have been filled by someone who could have actually contributed something to the alpha testing. The lighting/graphics engine (should be in bold), the photo scenery, the AI-generated trees and buildings, the AI-generated night lighting, the weather (should be in bold), the flight planning, the live air traffic, the airports and airport life, the aircraft visuals inside and out, the sounds and sound environments, systems modeling and failures and the flight dynamics I think are all revolutionary/state of the art, and all of this in an "out of the box", no addons, sim. As for the controls, as is the case with some other sims like DCS, it is important to spend some time tuning the sensitivity curves, which will differ from one user's peripherals to the next (gets rid of the twitchy-ness) - I have all of the aileron, elevator and rudder axis sensitivity curves set at -25 for my CH Products Fighterstick and rudder pedals. I found it no harder to program controllers than doing so in any other new sim/game for the first time.

I was flying over the mountains around Yosemite yesterday with the C208 and it's probably a good thing VR is not currently supported as I probably would have lost my lunch due to some of the violent updrafts and downdrafts I encountered (otherwise a very stable aircraft most of the time).

Agreed John - Like me!! LOL I never got an invite! But I'm afraid that many testers were like this guy. If they're treating it like an xbox game rather than a more serious simulator - anyone could be a tester. No qualifications required other than a PC. So, unless the alpha test pool was filled with people who have

1. Knowledge about aviation
2. Airmanship
3. Knowledge about simulators
4. Attention to detail
5. Meteorological knowledge

then, it was simply a free for all to try out a shiny new toy. Unfortunately, unlike, COD, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Doom etc etc. FPS games - Sims actually need people to test with qualifications. otherwise - how ya gonna know if it's wrong??? LOL.

TuFun
July 13th, 2020, 20:25
Comment from Mathijs....

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/154700-aerosoft-official-retail-partner-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/&do=findComment&comment=989186

DC1973
July 13th, 2020, 23:05

I'm a gamer at heart. I understand pre-order bonus's like a different armour package for your doomslayer in doom/ weapon packs etc but I cant see the reason to pre-order, there doesnt seem to be a bonus reason. I mean there isnt a "pre-order now and get the game 2 days before general release and a special edition westland lysander" offer. Or special pricing.

Europe, and later the rest of the world, will have access to a hard copy of the simulator, due to it's large download size. Aerosoft pushed for this, and I think it's a great idea. So, pre-orders made sense for production purposes.

DC1973
July 13th, 2020, 23:14
Agreed John - Like me!! LOL I never got an invite! But I'm afraid that many testers were like this guy. If they're treating it like an xbox game rather than a more serious simulator - anyone could be a tester. No qualifications required other than a PC. So, unless the alpha test pool was filled with people who have

1. Knowledge about aviation
2. Airmanship
3. Knowledge about simulators
4. Attention to detail
5. Meteorological knowledge

then, it was simply a free for all to try out a shiny new toy. Unfortunately, unlike, COD, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Doom etc etc. FPS games - Sims actually need people to test with qualifications. otherwise - how ya gonna know if it's wrong??? LOL.

I didn't get an invite either, despite RW aviation credentials and sim knowledge - I approached MS as a developer, and was then accepted. I agree that a flight simulator alpha should have prioritised those with aviation experience, but also one has to remember that this isn't a product that's aimed solely at hard-core simulation fans. It's a product for the mass-market and thus feedback from various users builds a picture for the general market's opinion of the product, which is then tailored to suit the largest possible consumer base, to produce the greatest possible commercial success. No brainer.

Personally, after the fiascos of Flight and FSW, I think this time Microsoft / Asobo have got the compromise between reality and accessibility just about right. Devs like PMDG / FSLabs will eventually bring their hard-core aircraft to the simulator, which by then will have matured enough to support their detailed avionics. In the meantime, developers like myself and others will have the middle-ground / easy-access airplanes covered. Everybody gets what they want. Considering the sheer volume of realism we're getting out of the box at less than $60 for the standard version, I really struggle to see anything wrong with the package in general.

UnknownGuest12
July 14th, 2020, 01:46

Will keep P3D because all of the planes and scenery I bought...for sure will buy this 2020. If as good as it looks wonder if other sims and all business related will survive this. Already got mail from Orbx saying they will produce content for FS2020. Wait and see...
Regards

dvj
July 14th, 2020, 06:07

Are you saying there is no Westland Lysander in the pre-order list of aircraft? No way am I going to buy this. Guess I'll be flying FS9 for a while longer. :dizzy:

FlyingsCool
July 14th, 2020, 06:31
While I agree that Alpha should have testers who have aviation experience, they need testers from the full spectrum. This is meant to be a product for everyone, and even people who have zero confidence in using computers need to be a part of the testing experience to make sure it's not impossible to use.

Bomber_12th
July 14th, 2020, 07:22
My original point being, what a waste of an alpha tester if all they were going to do was poke their head into the sim once a month to see how things were shaping up based on other's inputs/work. Some of us have invested a considerable amount of time testing and have noticed continued improvements to what has been reported daily over the past several months, as the regular dev reports attest to.

Ted's link to the Aerosoft Forum with Mathijs Kok's statement is a good read, and Mathijs' comments go hand-in-hand with what I've seen and heard from the development team.

TuFun
July 14th, 2020, 07:39
>> Aerosoft official retail partner for Microsoft Flight Simulator... 5 (https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F154700-aerosoft-official-retail-partner-for-microsoft-flight-simulator%2F&tab=comments#comment-989186) Rebirth of a legend It is with great pride that we can announce that Microsoft has chosen Aerosoft as its retail publishing partner for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator . Aerosoft will bring the two boxed versions of this venerable simulator to...

Boxed version...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/uploads/default/original/3X/d/5/d59ab2a00f57b3131753e0e31995a38f4e8c884b.jpeg

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/uploads/default/original/3X/2/9/29c443e8b3fddc9cc22fc53ab071d019e444dff4.jpeg

centuryseries
July 14th, 2020, 10:33
>> Aerosoft official retail partner for Microsoft Flight Simulator... 5 (https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F154700-aerosoft-official-retail-partner-for-microsoft-flight-simulator%2F&tab=comments#comment-989186)

Rebirth of a legend It is with great pride that we can announce that Microsoft has chosen Aerosoft as its retail publishing partner for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator . Aerosoft will bring the two boxed versions of this venerable simulator to...

Boxed version...

so if you order the whole Shabbat from MS and live in Europe do you get the boxed version? I saw no option for it?!

TiAr
July 14th, 2020, 11:33
In Aerosoft Forum you can read, what the boxed version is:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/154700-aerosoft-official-retail-partner-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/&tab=comments#comment-989168

And you can read about "Optional online streamed content (this is an optional part of the sim)". Microsoft must explain this as soon as possible, otherwise they will not get a cent from me.

Thomas

Mach3DS
July 14th, 2020, 12:06
Yes, if you don't stream the content, then do you get standard autogen? It won't look or perform like what you see in the videos from what I understand? But we definitely need clarity on that!

DC1973
July 14th, 2020, 12:49
Yes, if you don't stream the content, then do you get standard autogen? It won't look or perform like what you see in the videos from what I understand? But we definitely need clarity on that!

You can switch off the streaming if you wish, and that leaves you with a standard autogen as per FSX / P3D. The difference is that it looks a LOT better than what we're used to with the older platforms. Can't say much more than that really, as I think that the NDA is still in effect.

TuFun
July 14th, 2020, 12:53
Available at SimMarket...

https://secure.simmarket.com/ms_flight_preorder.php

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77637&stc=1
(https://secure.simmarket.com/ms_flight_preorder.php)

TiAr
July 14th, 2020, 13:09
You can switch off the streaming if you wish, and that leaves you with a standard autogen as per FSX / P3D. The difference is that it looks a LOT better than what we're used to with the older platforms. Can't say much more than that really, as I think that the NDA is still in effect.

That doesn't convince me at all. There are a lot of pictures around of the stock. I'm sorry, but this is IMHO more of a step backwards than Out of the Box they promised. And why is a NDA around in pre-order times. DC did you get a sdk? I am not.

Please do not misunderstand, I am no opponent of Microsoft Flight Simulator. I'm rather one who questions some things, and with long experience I've become a bit cautious. Many questions are simply not answered. Marketing is usually something different from reality.

Thomas

centuryseries
July 14th, 2020, 13:14
In Aerosoft Forum you can read, what the boxed version is:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/154700-aerosoft-official-retail-partner-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/&tab=comments#comment-989168

And you can read about "Optional online streamed content (this is an optional part of the sim)". Microsoft must explain this as soon as possible, otherwise they will not get a cent from me.

Thomas

So you only get the boxed version from Aerosoft. Well that's a shame they didn't say that before I ordered it from MS directly. Not that it matters, DCS has been Gb of data downloads for many years now, but it would've been nice to have the option - I see with books etc. You'd think for the price of the premium deluxe (or whatever they call it) version they'd send you some DVDs.

Does anyone know if there is any backwards compatibility at all? I've been politely asking to join the test program having been part of Beta for FSX previously and having been developing since 2001, but after 3 emails unanswered I gave up. I had a nice reply from Asobo within a day or two, but they just directed me to email Microsoft. Shame there was absolutely no response. I guess they only want the big players in the Dev world - that's who will make them some money by royalty or whatever the pricing model will be for additional content.

CG_1976
July 14th, 2020, 13:53
appreciate the link to simmarket TuFun. There one of my favorite FS Vendors with Justflight. That makes very happy more confident about FS2020.

Sundog
July 14th, 2020, 17:05
So you only get the boxed version from Aerosoft. Well that's a shame they didn't say that before I ordered it from MS directly. Not that it matters, DCS has been Gb of data downloads for many years now, but it would've been nice to have the option - I see with books etc. You'd think for the price of the premium deluxe (or whatever they call it) version they'd send you some DVDs.

Does anyone know if there is any backwards compatibility at all? I've been politely asking to join the test program having been part of Beta for FSX previously and having been developing since 2001, but after 3 emails unanswered I gave up. I had a nice reply from Asobo within a day or two, but they just directed me to email Microsoft. Shame there was absolutely no response. I guess they only want the big players in the Dev world - that's who will make them some money by royalty or whatever the pricing model will be for additional content.

Although I signed up for the Alpha, I'm not in it. Having said that, I think in one of the preview videos with the developers that was released, I'm quite sure they said legacy aircraft will work in the sim with their original flight models. I would like to see if it's possible to update some of them to the new flight model, myself. Also, I'm not sure what they're calling "Legacy," but I would think that would be at least anything released for FSX and early P3D (Not sure how PBR work will translate between the two platforms).

Regards,
Ken

Sundog
July 14th, 2020, 17:09
My original point being, what a waste of an alpha tester if all they were going to do was poke their head into the sim once a month to see how things were shaping up based on other's inputs/work. Some of us have invested a considerable amount of time testing and have noticed continued improvements to what has been reported daily over the past several months, as the regular dev reports attest to.

I think many people don't get what an "Alpha" is. Hell, I've been in some pretty rough betas, but they turned out fine maybe a month or two after release. I think some people just think an Alpha means "Free game play before anyone else!" I don't think people like that know that it's up to them to find and report everything that's broken. Maybe they should have put Dino from IndiaFoxtAlpha in charge. He's really good at running a beta. I'm sure he could run an Alpha. ;)

keithb77
July 15th, 2020, 00:36
I'm quite sure they said legacy aircraft will work in the sim with their original flight models.
I remember that too ... but heard nothing since.
Would be REALLY helpful in the short term...

zswobbie1
July 15th, 2020, 01:36
It was said that legacy aircraft could be ported over, however, they would be very inferior to the new aircraft.
The new planes have 1000 contact points per surface area, vs 1 on old planes.
maybe better to get planes that are made for the sim?

Brytskiva
July 15th, 2020, 06:47
1. Hi , do anybody new if there is some need of keyboard inputs in FS2020 and can you use to fly like in FSX/P3d ? :ghost:

2. Will it be possible to install FS2020 on an extern USB 3.1. disc ? :jaded:

HB

Mach3DS
July 15th, 2020, 09:46
I don't think your 2nd question can be answered until it's released. But, seems like if you can choose a location to install, you could choose anywhere right?

Ferry_vO
July 15th, 2020, 10:37
Strange... Alpha testers say it is far from finished, incomplete and buggy, yet Aerosoft claim the box set has gone gold and is ready for shipping..?
Does this mean box owners will have to download the mother of all day 1 patches in August, basically rendering the disks useless because they will have to download large parts of the game, or is the entire alpha test pointless..?

Brytskiva
July 15th, 2020, 11:32
I don't think your 2nd question can be answered until it's released. But, seems like if you can choose a location to install, you could choose anywhere right?

Thank you , i feel calmer now. :very_drunk:

HB

Mach3DS
July 15th, 2020, 12:40
Strange... Alpha testers say it is far from finished, incomplete and buggy, yet Aerosoft claim the box set has gone gold and is ready for shipping..?
Does this mean box owners will have to download the mother of all day 1 patches in August, basically rendering the disks useless because they will have to download large parts of the game, or is the entire alpha test pointless..?

Best quote of my posting career here at SOH!! Hahaha you read my mind! yeah - I know there's people here that think it's ready but from my buddy who like me is a RL pilot and flies the big boys at the airlines, he thinks its buggy and that the FM's are not great. So, you're finding lots of opinions across the board.

bazzar
July 15th, 2020, 13:46
As testers we are supposed to receive the closed beta anytime now. Why then, are we going to have the final product in a month's time? None f this makes any sense.:engel016:

Daube
July 15th, 2020, 13:54
That's precisely the point: you are NOT going to receive a final product at all.
You're going to receive a product that is meant to receive further updates.
Exactly like your Windows, or your iphone or android or whatever.
It doesn't really matter if the soft is not 100% ready, Aerosoft can burn the discs already. Even if some further bugs will be discovered during the Alpha/Beta in the next 4 weeks, the patches/updates to solve them are not going to be 8 double-sided blurays...

TiAr
July 15th, 2020, 14:55
I just don't want to believe that the engine of Microsoft Flight Simulator is based on ESP. This is the ancient engine of Flight, based of FSX. I always thought we'd get something new and innovative? Can somebody confirm this. Source is simflight.de in actual SDK discussion.

Thomas

Javis
July 15th, 2020, 16:16
I just don't want to believe that the engine of Microsoft Flight Simulator is based on ESP. This is the ancient engine of Flight, based of FSX. I always thought we'd get something new and innovative?

I'd watch that launch trailer again a few times if i were you, Thomas. Don't you think that looks suspiciously like something new and innovative ?..

About ESP, from Wikipedia MSFS announcement :

quote:

Flight Simulator will feature Asobo's in-house developed game engine, and leverage Bing Maps data, accessing over two petabytes of data from the cloud on demand.[3] Azure AI analyzes map data and photogrammetry to generate photorealistic 3D models of buildings, trees, terrain, and so on. This allows the simulator to depict most parts of the world in 3D photo-realism, and other parts in high definition.[4] There will also be realistic physics and weather systems, and utilization of real-world weather data.

unquote

ESP will remain as always, Extra Sensory Perception, Electro Static Precipitator, Electronic Stability Program, Eastern State Penitentiary, Encapsulating Security Payload as well as a host of other designations including the aspen poplar as it is known in the Netherlands (Esp or ratelpopulier) and of course Enterprise Simulation Platform. AFAIK none of these have anything to do with forthcoming MSFS. :cool: ( btw, didn't MS sell this whole ESP thing to LM in the first place ?...)

Bomber_12th
July 15th, 2020, 18:25
To be fair, the development team has been stating since last September that the sim will not have everything in it at launch that they plan to have in it - that has never been a secret. The way they've always described it is that they needed to get it to a stable, fully usable and very complete level, and once that would be achieved then they would put it out there to the customer/user base. Development of the sim by Asobo/Microsoft is supposed to continue for another 10 years, with continued improvements and additional content (I don't want to wait much longer to use the sim (the alpha is awesome, but I can't wait to get rid of all of the username watermarks) and financially I'd bet they can't wait much longer to release it). They've been completely transparent about their desire to support Track-IR and VR, multi-screen support, adding helicopters, adding seasons, etc., but they've never said it would have those features at launch, and stated it wouldn't as far back as last September.

In DCS, aircraft modules/addons are released after usually around 4-5 years of work, each, but still 2-3 years prior to when they would be if they were retained until they were fully finalized - that's from the mouth of the owner of Eagle Dynamics. They then get most of all of the bug reporting from the user base, and then continue fixing, improving and adding to the products progressively after release. It is a sound financial decision which allows them to continue to develop and release more content and get content out to the user base/customers 2-3 years faster than it would be if they retained everything until it was absolutely perfect.

Here, Asobo and Microsoft, over a 5 year period, have recreated the entire earth completely new, all new buildings and trees the world over, all new airports the world over (over 40,000), all new weather, new graphics engine and lighting engine, all new aircraft models and sounds, new flight dynamics programming, etc., and they are still describing a further 10 years committed to development of the sim. A big chunk of the reason for the Tech Alpha over the last several months (in addition to of course taking the opportunity to report all bugs and any missteps) was for the developers to test the online features of the sim with gradually more and more higher numbers of users accessing the servers, month after month, ahead of release. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it will be interesting to see what the beta build is like compared to what the tech alpha builds have been - everything is simply speculation at this point. The beta will be available on July 30th, just 18 days prior to release, so from the mindset of the developers there can't be much they're looking at needing to worry about checking/testing any more prior to the release.

Ferry_vO
July 16th, 2020, 06:49
The difference is that DCS is a free game, and MSFS2020 will cost $80-$120 (Depending on which version.) which I think is a lot for what amounts to an early access game/glorified alpha build.

And as for the box set: I think that will interest people with poor internet quality or limited data bundles, but they would still have to download major patches, probably from the first day of release..

I know I will be reading a lot of reviews first, before buying anything.

Bomber_12th
July 16th, 2020, 07:32
I'm referring of course to the way in which every DCS $40-$80 module for an individual aircraft or individual (flat) terrain map are released, each taking 4-5 years to develop and which typically stay in "early access" (beta) for years after initial release, even at full price. Here you're talking about a full sim, from the ground-up, for $80-$120, and with all of the features that are almost too long to want to list - 30 accurate and detailed aircraft inside and out (many of them tested by the companies that produce them I believe), 40 hand-crafted payware quality airports, over 40,000 newly crafted airports in all (which puts to shame FSX/P3D default airports), photo scenery the world over with billions of buildings and trillions of trees placed, colored and sized to match the world-over, new flight modeling, completely new graphics and lighting engines, completely new sound dynamics, new friction modeling, an incredible weather simulation unlike any other sim, and it goes on... No one knows anything about exactly how the release version of the sim is going to be, including the tech alpha testers, other than in the previews that Microsoft has shared, but I pre-ordered it based on my experience with the tech alpha. To think of all of the money required for payware addons to make FSX and P3D good sims, on top of the original cost of those, and yet they still don't compare with MSFS2020.

Mach3DS
July 16th, 2020, 08:37
***IF*** the MS stock aircraft are modeled in any way similar to DCS then, it will be a steal of a deal! DCS aircraft are high fidelity. They're not 100% but that's mostly in the systems department where certain features are classified etc. So if these FS2020 aircraft (albeit they're GA) work on a counterpart level of the same kind of fidelity in DCS, then we're getting somewhere. Most DCS aircraft are like VRS superbug in terms of functionality. If these models are of the same LOD, then we're talking apples to apples.

TuFun
July 16th, 2020, 08:43
Here you're talking about a full sim, from the ground-up, for $80-$120, and with all of the features that are almost too long to want to list - 30 accurate and detailed aircraft inside and out (many of them tested by the companies that produce them I believe), 40 hand-crafted payware quality airports, over 40,000 newly crafted airports in all (which puts to shame FSX/P3D default airports), photo scenery the world over with billions of buildings and trillions of trees placed, colored and sized to match the world-over, new flight modeling, completely new graphics and lighting engines, completely new sound dynamics, new friction modeling, an incredible weather simulation unlike any other sim, and it goes on.

To think of all of the money required for payware addons to make FSX and P3D good sims, on top of the original cost of those, and yet they still don't compare with MSFS2020.

Preach it, brother! No other sim is like this one. :encouragement:

StormILM
July 16th, 2020, 08:56
I heave heard differing statements about the stock aircraft realism but I took particular note of the A320 NEO. One of my friends flies the NEO with a US carrier and he noted from the videos and what he read about it that it looks very promising. I can't help but wonder how many existing/prior developers may have had a hand in working on these aircraft models for the main developer. They look far more advanced than anything I have seen before in a stock sim. We will certainly know in a little over a month.

Bomber_12th
July 16th, 2020, 09:26
***IF*** the MS stock aircraft are modeled in any way similar to DCS then, it will be a steal of a deal! DCS aircraft are high fidelity. They're not 100% but that's mostly in the systems department where certain features are classified etc. So if these FS2020 aircraft (albeit they're GA) work on a counterpart level of the same kind of fidelity in DCS, then we're getting somewhere. Most DCS aircraft are like VRS superbug in terms of functionality. If these models are of the same LOD, then we're talking apples to apples.

I simply was trying to compare that the way in which MSFS2020 is being released is much the same as in the way DCS releases their products, as open beta that will continue to be worked on over time. The DCS owner says that's the only way they can do it and I'm sure Asobo/Mircosoft are in the same boat. I'm not comparing MSFS2020 to each individual DCS aircraft module, but the methodology/thinking behind releasing the sim as a continually developing open beta is the same as that of the methodology/thinking that DCS has in releasing their aircraft products as continually developing/improving open betas. Comparing a $120 full sim to a $80 aircraft module/addon on a price point is a completely different matter - both taking the same time to develop, but with strikingly far different numbers of developers and expected sales.

Mach3DS
July 16th, 2020, 09:35
My last few posts I simply was trying to compare that the way in which MSFS2020 is being released is probably much the same as in the way DCS releases their products, always as open betas. The DCS owner says that's the only way they can do it and I'm sure Asobo/Mircosoft are in the same boat.

Understood all, and agreed. I think the sheer volume and detail of the sim are staggering. All I'm saying is that, given I have no experience with it (not getting into the alpha) that I have nothing to compare the aircraft flight models or systems modeling to. So, if they are anything like the comparison of DCS aircraft, then we're going to be getting some really nice modeled aircraft. That's all. I agree with your assessment of the sim world as a whole. This is nothing short of modern marvel of technical acheivement.

IanHenry
July 16th, 2020, 09:53
I was wondering which version of the new sim people are buying. My preference is the Deluxe edition as the extra aircraft and airports in the Premium are of no interest to me, however I'm slightly concerned that future addons might only work with the Premium version (like was the case with FSX & Acceleration).

It's the "steam gauge" Cessna 172 that sells the Deluxe Edition for me.

Bomber_12th
July 16th, 2020, 10:05
All of the descriptions I've read states that the Deluxe and Premium Deluxe versions are the same as the Standard version, with the only differences listed being the additional detailed airports and aircraft.

From my order page on the Microsoft Store:

"The Deluxe Edition includes everything from Microsoft Flight Simulator plus 5 additional highly accurate planes with unique flight models and 5 additional handcrafted international airports."

"The Premium Deluxe Edition includes everything from Microsoft Flight Simulator plus 5 additional highly accurate planes with unique flight models and 5 additional handcrafted international airports." (out of context, this is a bit badly worded as it is actually 5 extra airports and aircraft in addition to the 5 extra airports and aircraft from the Deluxe version included as well)

I personally couldn't pass up on the SR-22, Pipistrel Virus and Zlin Shock Ultra aircraft in the "Premium Deluxe" version, so that is why I've chosen that one, not knowing if those would ever be covered by addons with the default sim aircraft already being of the high quality they are.

zswobbie1
July 16th, 2020, 14:13
I think that MSFS, using the correct name, stands on it's own two feet, without compare..
As far as thinking that it is complete.. All we have seen has been Alpha releases, by it's very nature, & for testing purposes IS incomplete. A Beta release is normally a complete ready for release version that is for testing the final product. During Beta, the software is considered to be fixed, with no changing of the core.

With MSFS, tweaks & updates will be done on-line, just like Windows 10.

Also, we have no idea how long the Alpha testing has really being going on for, and the same goes for Beta testing. Maybe it has already been tested, Asobo & MS are not obliged to share that information.

Snurdley
July 16th, 2020, 15:51
I wouldn't expect MSFS to have high fidelity flight models and systems (although it would be cool), on top of what we are already getting. I can see after-market stuff being produced as always. The weather engine alone is almost worth the price of admission, not to mention the scenery. I also don't expect them to provide global AI traffic either, except for generic stuff like we've seen in the past. They may have the data, but producing all the models and liveries would be mind-blowing, not to mention budget-blowing as well.

stansdds
July 17th, 2020, 02:46
With MSFS, tweaks & updates will be done on-line, just like Windows 10.

That was my thought as well, no more new flight sim every 3-5 years, just like no more new operating system every 3-5 years.

ananda
July 17th, 2020, 10:50
That was my thought as well, no more new flight sim every 3-5 years, just like no more new operating system every 3-5 years.

Gid forbid, new flight sim every week!

zswobbie1
July 17th, 2020, 12:08
LOL, our friends at Avsim will start calling the weekly releases FS2020augweek3, FS2020augweek4 etc to stop confusing themselves.

YoYo
July 17th, 2020, 22:44
I hold back personally to do pre order of MSF2020, no any reason to do this:

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/simpsons/homer-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

- no any discount for pre order (constant rule of pre order on market)
- no any new kind of stuff for people who did pre order (like bonus scenery, free aircrafts ect)
- no early access for pre order (all bugs will be solved in next month?)
- nothing more than I will buy it after 18th of August simply (dont rush!)
- no VR support :banghead: (the most important for me in the sim) and no Track IR support (disaster for me....)
- poor, leaked feedbacks (people related to the simulators) except graphics :banghead: (yep, it doesn't look good under the hood yet)

Perhaps I will take Microsoft XBox Pass for the one month - 1,5$ for the first month for new users (price for each month (https://www.xbox.com/pl-PL/xbox-game-pass#join), MSFS 2020 will be included in acccess here - so here it will be demo for me :very_drunk:, I will check it simply after release), so no big reason for me to do pre order. Im affraid it will be worse than unexpected premiere of Prepar3Dv5 with his first bugs in v.5.0 (solved now) but let me be wrong.

Till no VR I'm stayed with P3Dv5, I have still many new addons I haven't paid much attention to and a few interesting are coming still. :wiggle:

Bomber_12th
July 18th, 2020, 10:46
I figured this was all well established/known about by now, but since I had to direct someone to this on another forum who should have known all about this and didn't, I figured I'd re-post this here too...

As it has been since the start of the alpha testing, if you are signed up as an FS Insider on the MSFS website and go to the Insider Home page, the MSFS development team regularly publish Feedback Snapshots and Development Roadmaps. As the latest Development Roadmap shows, these Feedback Snapshots and Development Roadmaps are scheduled to continue to be released after launch, as the sim continues to be developed further by Asobo/Microsoft over the months and years to come, post-launch. https://www.flightsimulator.com/insider-home/

Here is the most recent Feedback Snapshot (July 2nd). The wish list section is from the developers themselves - some items that are listed there are already in the sim but are top items still being improved upon by the dev team, while other items that are listed there are either in the process of being implemented or their is a goal of having those features added/implemented in the future.

https://msfs-cdn.azureedge.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/FS05.01.jpg

The most recent Development Roadmap (July 16th)

https://msfs-cdn.azureedge.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/DR-v4.02.jpg

TuFun
July 18th, 2020, 18:19
As far as Tracker IR support, I think the wait is on the MSFS SDK support... maybe?!

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=70438#p70438

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=70438#p70438)

Post (https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=70438#p70438) by jon.campbell (https://forums.naturalpoint.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=56832) » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:16 am
Hello,

We have now been in contact with the game producer to get support for TrackIR.

Jon Campbell
Customer Support Engineer
TrackIR
NaturalPoint

Top (https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=70438#top)

YoYo
July 25th, 2020, 04:42
As I heared Track IR started to work :black_eyed:.
Im waiting for VR news.

TuFun
July 28th, 2020, 19:54
Track IRMicrosoft Flight Sim now supports Track IR. This must be configured outside of the sim in the normal method. Track IR is available in the following locations:

Menu – Hangar
In-flight – Cockpit camera
In-flight – Chase camera

Scroll to the end of...
https://www.flightsimulator.com/closed-beta-now-available/?fbclid=IwAR3jy5b2JY5SASRoHjuZfShBGhbCZt_Lqh7c2J-23474O86FiFUyKrYmnNU

Browncoat
July 31st, 2020, 14:20
MSFS is really looking impressive, and I am glad to read that TrackIR is supported. I’m looking forward to reading the reviews and learning more about how open the sim is to community support and modification.

One of the many reasons why I enjoy CFS2, FS9, FSX/P3D, and X-Plane 11 is due to the awesome support of the communities that surround each game.

fsafranek
August 13th, 2020, 17:17
Till no VR I'm stayed with P3Dv5, I have still many new addons I haven't paid much attention to and a few interesting are coming still. :wiggle:
This might be of interest.

Poor Man's VR in MSFS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc92ULEsIFw)
:ernaehrung004:

jmig
August 14th, 2020, 04:56
Okay, I was with YoYo. I would wait until it was released, I read the early reviews, etc., etc. After all, P3D V5 just came out recently, and they are still working out the bugs. I still need V4 for beta testing aircraft. So, what NEED or want do I have to buy the thing? I can wait.

Then I visited Microsoft's MSFS site and purchased the $130 (with tax) version. So much for will power and intelligence. :banghead:

Hopefully, I won't be crying in my :very_drunk: along with the rest.

dvj
August 14th, 2020, 11:09
Don't forget, you can do gamepass for just a few dollars to checkout the game before commiting. Even the base level cost is less than an evening of beer and pizza at my house. Hell, I just tanked my car at costco for $60! I am certain that with the thousands of person hours spent on development and millions of dollars invested, MS and its associates will continue to support and improve the platform for many years to come. We are on the cusp of a new flight sim era.

Bomber_12th
August 14th, 2020, 12:06
In every interview with the Asobo/Microsoft devs, and there have been a lot recently, they state that day one of release is just the beginning of where they see this sim going. They say they are in it to continue developing this sim for 10 years or more. They plan to provide monthly, meaningful, free updates, including "World Updates" and "Sim Updates". The free World Updates, which will be released every 2-3 months, will focus on a specific region of the world at a time, and these updates will include the latest updated aerials from Bing, new hand-crafted airports, new POI's and new missions/challenges for that select region. The free "Sim Updates", which will also be released in a 2-3 month cycle, will include improvements (like bug fixes) and added features to what already exists in the sim (like VR support coming this fall). Asobo/MS also will be having their own "Paid DLC" (payware) released in the future. This will include helicopters, after they work out the physics/dynamics, and they said just yesterday that they plan on doing anywhere from 4-8 helicopters. They also mentioned yesterday that the updates that will happen to the sim to support accurate helicopter flight dynamics will come free among the "Sim Updates", so you won't have to buy the Asobo/MS helicopters if you only want to add 3rd-party helicopters.

BTW, I guarantee there is going to be a screenshot thread here of epic proportions after this sim drops next Tuesday.

Sundog
August 14th, 2020, 14:46
BTW, I guarantee there is going to be a screenshot thread here of epic proportions after this sim drops next Tuesday.

It's funny you brought that up, I was already thinking a few days after release there's probably going to be close to twenty pages of screenshots. I ordered more RAM for my system (From 8GB to 16GB) to hopefully be able to run this decently upon release.

dvj
August 15th, 2020, 09:02

Added a 10TB hard drive to my PC to hold all of my screenshots and videos!

ColoKent
August 16th, 2020, 18:21
...So much for will power and intelligence. :banghead:

You're not the only one, John...I just pulled the trigger too...after getting my internet upgraded to 1Gb/sec download speed! Still going to make the jump from 16 to 32GB of RAM this week on the FS machine. This thing looks incredible. Can't wait for the add-ons (A2A, MILVIZ, JustFlight, ORBX, and the rest) to catch up.

Kent

manfredc3
August 17th, 2020, 15:37
I went ahead and signed up for the $1 trial for XBox Game Pass. THat way I only spend $1, and can check out FS2020.

It's already downloaded, and just waiting to be unlocked by Microsoft.

Now, I just have to make sure to cancel the XBox Game Pass before the end of the month, lol.

Sundog
August 17th, 2020, 16:25
Those of you who have down loaded the install, can you tell us how large the file is and how long it takes to download (Approximately, I have Comcast cable). I'm just trying to figure out if I can download it before I go to work tomorrow or if I'll have to wait until I get home. :)

manfredc3
August 17th, 2020, 16:47
The download only created the folder structure for me. It looks like it will not download the actual files till the sim is unlocked. Which for me is 10pm according to this info: https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-release-times/

azflyboy
August 17th, 2020, 19:35
Apparently if you bought through MS (instead of Steam) you can just change your windows location to Kiribati, and it'll download the program, but not any of the extra stuff yet.

manfredc3
August 17th, 2020, 20:16
Well my FS2020 just got unlocked, and it is now downloading 91Gb. This is going to take a while. Will probably have to let it run over night, depending what DL speed the Microsoft servers will allow

ColoKent
August 17th, 2020, 20:25
Well my FS2020 just got unlocked, and it is now downloading 91Gb. This is going to take a while. Will probably have to let it run over night, depending what DL speed the Microsoft servers will allow

....And across town, I am doing precisely the same thing.

Kent

Ferry_vO
August 18th, 2020, 01:28
Well my FS2020 just got unlocked, and it is now downloading 91Gb. This is going to take a while.

A mute button (Or no music at all!) would have been nice, so I don't have to listen to the same music over and over for the next 15-24 hours of downloading..... :biggrin-new:

robcap
August 18th, 2020, 02:09
A mute button (Or no music at all!) would have been nice, so I don't have to listen to the same music over and over for the next 15-24 hours of downloading..... :biggrin-new:
Ah, you are going for it anyway?:playful:
So am I, next sunday.
Back into the game after I don't know how long....

Cheers, Rob

jmig
August 18th, 2020, 06:40
This is sure taking a while to download. It has been running over an hour. I have a 1GB fiber connection. Guess, MS's servers are being taxed.

ColoKent
August 18th, 2020, 06:46
This is sure taking a while to download. It has been running over an hour. I have a 1GB fiber connection. Guess, MS's servers are being taxed.

That semi-funeral durge sounding music gets annoying after a while, doesn't it? Guess what? It also plays while the sim is loading. Need to figure out how to kill that as soon as I can.

Kent

centuryseries
August 18th, 2020, 06:54
That semi-funeral durge sounding music gets annoying after a while, doesn't it? Guess what? It also plays while the sim is loading. Need to figure out how to kill that as soon as I can.

Kent

I was thinking the exact same thing. Its not very uplifting, which IMHO it should be for such an advancement in simulation games.... Its been downloading now for 6 hours, and the music is irritating to say the least. I would turn the volume down, but I need to hear when emails come in!

If only there was a simple Mute button........

Cazzie
August 18th, 2020, 06:55
I pre-ordered the Premium Deluxe version. I got it from the MS store. I go to my MS account and it shows that I pre-ordered it, yet when I click it, it wants me to buy? How are you guys getting to the download link?

Caz

jmig
August 18th, 2020, 06:55

Kent

I just turned the volume off, Kent. I guess I will just do other things until it is downloaded...like Honey Do's. :banghead:

centuryseries
August 18th, 2020, 07:06
I pre-ordered the Premium Deluxe version. I got it from the MS store. I go to my MS account and it shows that I pre-ordered it, yet when I click it, it wants me to buy? How are you guys getting to the download link?

Caz

I found it on the start menu programs list of Windows 10 and then followed my nose from there.

Daube
August 18th, 2020, 07:47
Guys, from what I read, you simply need to right-click on the sound icon in the taskbar next to your clock, and choose the volume mixer. You'll get one volume per running application in there. Then you can mute only the setup of MSFS, without muting the rest of your apps.

Ferry_vO
August 18th, 2020, 12:49
Ah, you are going for it anyway?:playful:
So am I, next sunday.
Back into the game after I don't know how long....

Cheers, Rob

Better start downloading then...

Boss is paying for my flightsim (25th anniversary bonus) so I figured why not? Seen plenty of youtube vids first and it does look good.

Sundog
August 18th, 2020, 14:24
Maybe it's due to where I live, but I just downloaded and installed the Premium Deluxe version in about five minutes. I went to my Microsoft Account and order history and clicked on it there and it took me to the MSFS web page and that had a Download/Install button on it for reference.

Edit: Well crap. I didn't realize all I had downloaded and installed was an App to download and install MSFS. I went to fly it and was shocked to see I still had to download it and install it. Could they have made this more convoluted? Of course, this is Microsoft I'm talking about.