PDA

View Full Version : "Fleet Funnies" cartoon #1, by Fred Sanders

Navy Chief
February 27th, 2009, 04:19
This is the first of several cartoons that former Naval Avator, Fred Sanders, drew during his time with tailhook squadrons.

I reduced the cartoons in size, as they were too large to post. Hope you are able to read them.

Each post will have a explanation for the cartoon.

- The CO of a SLUF squadron, while flying to Yuma to learn the weapons system on the brand new A-7 E model, actually pickled the blivet, carrying everyone's gear, on Panel Stager. Copy of this cartoon was framed and presented to him by CO, LATWing 1, at the Cecil Field O club. The A-7 had no provision for carrying anything but bombs and rockets, so when you went someplace, you put a bomb-looking empty tank on one of the bomb pylons and carried luggage in it. (Long before Coors beer was available east of the Miss. River, guys would go to the west coast and fill the blivet with cases of the stuff. My brother in law, an A-6 pilot, once flew up the eastern coast for live lobsters for a squadron party. One got loose in the space behind the cockpit, and somehow turned off his radios in the Atlanta TCA. No kidding.)

Craig Taylor
February 27th, 2009, 05:40
"Grampaw Petitbone" - wow, that takes me back, heh, heh! :ernae: