PDA

View Full Version : The Future

casey jones
June 15th, 2020, 12:39
FS2020 appears to be all tube liners which I am not a tube liner guy,
I do remmenber when MS came out with a new FS people had a hard
time running it. So be aware of whats coming. For me FSX is the only
one for me it runs great and it looks wonderful.

casey

Tako_Kichi
June 15th, 2020, 13:26
I don't know where you've been looking for info but I have seen lots of very nice GA aircraft in 2020 screenshots both here and elsewhere on the web.

Daube
June 15th, 2020, 13:45

casey

Hi Casey,

Unfortunately your source of information about MSFS (aka FS2020) is not very reliable. ;)
So far MSFS has mostly GA airplanes, with the exception of two airliners (A320 and B747). In fact, it will be a kind of paradise for GA and bush flight lovers.
Also, according to Alpha testers, the performance is very good on today's average computers.
So the future appears much brighter than you think :)

dvj
June 17th, 2020, 16:45

casey

Why is this even a valid post? "all tube liners" seems to be trolling. Perhaps the thread needs to be closed.

wombat666
June 17th, 2020, 17:05
Why is this even a valid post? "all tube liners" seems to be trolling. Perhaps the thread needs to be closed.

Certainly not!
We know the content will not be 'all tube liners' and the OP has demonstrated a clear lack of understanding re the sim.
:indecisiveness:

Mach3DS
June 17th, 2020, 18:19
Casey Jones, be prepared to be completely surprised then! Because not only is it not all tube liners, but it looks and from what we've been privy to in the dev updates, will function better in terms of reality, better than anything out there.

Nothing looks like this. Nothing.

https://external-preview.redd.it/7nZRNUn9ofnuDojAUNz0jhd3AyIVWhJtpbpOanAF8FY.jpg?au to=webp&db239d8d

FSX STOCK:

https://www.avsim.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://fsoutsider.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/fs10.jpg&key=0bcaa964472a91bcdada1896deec9dda34ea8dcf76843f d1789bc4d0f0464788

FS2020 STOCK:

https://fsoutsider.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/capture16.jpg

https://images.tweaktown.com/news/7/1/71056_14_new-incredible-beautiful-screenshots-microsoft-flight-simulato.png

MZee1960
June 20th, 2020, 12:58
Well said, Rick. The only thing that looks better is real life itself.

Browncoat
June 26th, 2020, 18:12
Fs2020 is certainly looking impressive, but at the same time I can’t say that I am surprised. FSX came out in what, 2006? 14 years is a long time and I’d expect the kind of large shifts we are seeing from FS2020 when it comes to a new version of FS. The questions I have are how will it run, and what are the capabilities for 3rd party devs to develop and build for the game.

stansdds
June 27th, 2020, 06:08
FSX was cutting edge when it was introduced, but much has changed with computer and software technology. From what I have seen posted, MSFS looks to be very cutting edge and may not need all the add-on enhancements that became necessary for FSX to achieve a fair degree of realism.

warchild
June 28th, 2020, 17:01
My own personal position on this is "Wait and see." Thats not a negative implication, its a cautious observation. As usual Microsoft is making one promise after the next regarding this software, as they do with all software they develop, and usually theres quite a bit left lacking. My own personal curiosities and hesitations stem from the sheer amount of data that will be being absorbed by this program, from outside your home and computer.. The scenery is downloaded in real time from "the cloud". The weather is updated and downloaded in real time from the servers, and every flight is tracked and reported on in real time from the sservers.. So here we are with these major amounts of datum being downloaded on a constant basis across the network. I am fortunate to not have a bandwidth cap, but for others?? You want to fly FS2020, and at the same time, your wife is downloading recipe's and your son is streaming a movie or playing World of Warships or some other online game. What the hell is this game going to do to your network bill?? We used to do fourteen hour flights in FS9. How much will that actually cost in FS2020?? Will it even be feasible?? I fear that like yachts, most online flying will be reduced to tiny little planes that you satisfy yourself with little more than flying around a small area you live near for an hour or two and then turn the game off to save your wallet. AT&T may love making the extra money from bandwidth violations, but I fear that the interruption to what we interpret as daily family life will be negatively impacted even more than it already is, because of the interruptions to downloads, streaming and other family members normal usage of the network. God forbid that World of Warships or World of Tanks or Star Citizen choose to update just before you log into FS2020, because then it gets personal.. You wont be able to start the game. Thats an existing reality right now and will only get worse..
So yes, I am cautiously observant at this point. We have only seen the fluffy shiny stuff at this point: The pretty stuff. We havent seen the soft white underbelly of this beast and at least on a great white shark, thats where it's mouth is. That worries me..

gray eagle
June 30th, 2020, 12:16
Hi Pam,

You have so eloquently and with great aplomb, expounded (IMHO) the other side of FS2020 coin. I like how you mentioned how we have only seen the fluffy shiny stuff and not seen the underbelly
of the beast. You've also brilliantly encapsulated the fact about real life situations with bandwidth caps and the everyday circumstances where in a family environment, everyone wants to logon
the internet for this, that and the other. When I first saw FS2020 advertised and was teased in little drips and draps, I kept thinking, at what price to me (consumer) will this cost? In other
words, what's the rub? So I commend your candid "op-ed" on this topic and will just say thank you as I share your observations. I have enjoyed reading your commentary.

-Butch

My own personal position on this is "Wait and see." Thats not a negative implication, its a cautious observation. As usual Microsoft is making one promise after the next regarding this software, as they do with all software they develop, and usually theres quite a bit left lacking. My own personal curiosities and hesitations stem from the sheer amount of data that will be being absorbed by this program, from outside your home and computer.. The scenery is downloaded in real time from "the cloud". The weather is updated and downloaded in real time from the servers, and every flight is tracked and reported on in real time from the sservers.. So here we are with these major amounts of datum being downloaded on a constant basis across the network. I am fortunate to not have a bandwidth cap, but for others?? You want to fly FS2020, and at the same time, your wife is downloading recipe's and your son is streaming a movie or playing World of Warships or some other online game. What the hell is this game going to do to your network bill?? We used to do fourteen hour flights in FS9. How much will that actually cost in FS2020?? Will it even be feasible?? I fear that like yachts, most online flying will be reduced to tiny little planes that you satisfy yourself with little more than flying around a small area you live near for an hour or two and then turn the game off to save your wallet. AT&T may love making the extra money from bandwidth violations, but I fear that the interruption to what we interpret as daily family life will be negatively impacted even more than it already is, because of the interruptions to downloads, streaming and other family members normal usage of the network. God forbid that World of Warships or World of Tanks or Star Citizen choose to update just before you log into FS2020, because then it gets personal.. You wont be able to start the game. Thats an existing reality right now and will only get worse..
So yes, I am cautiously observant at this point. We have only seen the fluffy shiny stuff at this point: The pretty stuff. We havent seen the soft white underbelly of this beast and at least on a great white shark, thats where it's mouth is. That worries me..

warchild
June 30th, 2020, 15:02
Thanks Butch.. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one looking at these possible realities..

blanston12
June 30th, 2020, 16:30
Personally I am being very cautious, I have the alpha and after using it I am not ready to give up my P3D install, especially after V5 breathed new life into it.

While the eye candy is great, usability is not what I would like. I am still waiting to see what they do and we will only really get that when get answers on pricing and freeware compatibility. They may still go down the FSW/MS flight route and muck the whole thing up.

TuFun
July 2nd, 2020, 02:10
America is in meltdown so whether it survived or not is all frivolous anyways. BBB = Bible, Bullets, and Beans!

Mach3DS
July 8th, 2020, 10:51
Well, despite all the optimism, including my own - there's still no solid 3rd party info. And the pricing model is still not solid in public domain. So we have yet to see if devs can play nice or if the sim will even allow their stuff to be ported over.

dvj
July 11th, 2020, 12:59
America is in meltdown so whether it survived or not is all frivolous anyways. BBB = Bible, Bullets, and Beans!

NO! America is not in meltdown.

BendyFlyer
July 29th, 2020, 15:43
I have seen quite a few pre-release vids, screenshots etc and I like what I see but here is the other side of the equation. I commend MS for doing all this work and really reinventing the flight simulator but I flight sim not simply for realism I flight sim so I can explore and enjoy the world of aviation and its history so over time because of the availability of graphic programs and design programs etc a huge number of very talented people also with a passion and interest in the aviation have produced some remarkably authentic simulator aircraft. Over time this has expanded and most importantly some have been able to take the earilier design work and rebuild it for FSX/P3D. Nobody has yet convinced me that the new MS sim has that capability in other words you will not be able to add in or add on anything you currently have running in FSX or P3D into this new sim - nor has this been denied.

So point 1 - I sim for the fascination of flying in a simulator authentically modelled - in terms of response, behaviour and characteristics (such as old fashioned instruments and navigation systems) a whole generation of aircraft that I could never get to fly in real life nor will anybody else. Flight is not just the delight of the outside visuals, ground ocean sky, but the delight of see a finely crafted aeroplane come to life again synthetically via the sim. This also includes the countless number of folk who have developed graphical and texture skills who then have painstakingly done liveries and paint jobs for these aeroplanes. Yes I can see that the new sim has amazingly crafted outside visuals almost lifelike but I want to fly not look at the view. So is MS going to reproduce all those arcane and long gone aeroplanes? I seriously doubt it. Will add on developers do it - probably and then probably not - and will they get the necessary tools to do it without paying exhorbitant licensing fees and will they even be bothered? After nearly a decade I have an amazing collection of simulator models by JBK, Milton Schupe, Flight Replicas, Real Air, AH, A2A, PMDG, Aerosoft, Capt Sim and Manfred Jahn., etc maybe eventually some will be replaced but I seriously have my doubts. That is a big stopper for me an a lot of other folk.

Point 2 - raised already this new sim and its experience is dependant upon the internet and high speed high capacity bandwith such as you get from fibre or direct network cabling. That situation is not the case for a large number of internet users all over the world and I am not just talking so called underdeveloped countries. I live in Australia which has managed to take a great idea of fibre to the home and due to stupidity reduce it to a shambles, I am in a rural area so the situation is even worse with network congestion and no fibre connections possible. I rely on high priced wireless transmission that is flaky can have good speeds but suffers from congestion and lack of capacity and there is absolutely no possibility this will change in the next decade - simple economic reality. There is no way I could afford the telco bill for the amount of data I would need to download and operate this sim on a regular basis it would run into literally $00's a week, so that is a the show stopper number 2.

So I guess given points 1 and 2 then I am not the customer that MS wants. FSX will do for me for now and well into the future.

Am I dissapointed - yes but the points I have made means that MS is not offering me a viable product at an affordable cost - simple!

Javis
July 29th, 2020, 19:58
Why worry ? Why the dissapointment ? Like you say so yourself, you have a ton of virtual aircraft to fly with FSX or P3D and you can continue to do so until the cows come home. Nobody is going to stop you from doing that, much less MS. I.e. you're quite alright when it comes to flight simulation. So i ask again what's there to worry and be dissapointed about ?....

I'd forget about MSFS all together for a while if i were you and just continue to enjoy FSX or P3D. Why not, éh ?... Just thank MS for having made that happen, already for a decade or 3, 4. You can't blame MS for trying to take flightsimulation to a next level, can you.. Just wait and see what happens and don't be surprised if it turns out that there will be a chance for you to enjoy MSFS in one way or another anyway. Even down under.

I mean, DON'T PANIC ! http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/smile.gif

BendyFlyer
July 29th, 2020, 21:05
Javis - no panic at all. Unlike a lot of folk I have never had any problems running FSX and high end scenery or aircraft models (Maybe because it is HP rig top to bottom - who knows), and as you rightfully say I have more than enough to keep me satisfied probably till I pass on (not so soon though one hopes).

My dissapointment is simply that the new sim can not be used by persons such as I and the main reason more than anything is my country's crap internet system. That is not MS's fault but mine for continuing to live here. :sentimental:

Still I have been with the sim world since Sub Logic did ATP in the 1980s and have every version of MS Flight Sim as it came along and watched it get better and better. Yes the new MS world on the PC would be nice but it will not to be, just like overseas travel will not be for a boomer like me, again as the world goes to hell on lots of other levels. I also had a rich and rewarding professional flying career as a pilot, so I am a very rich man for that experience and a lucky guy.

wombat666
July 29th, 2020, 23:48
Our NBN is one giant cock-up, as Bendy mentions it went from 'Fibre to the Home' to 'Fibre somewhere and Copper to the Home', using the existing and elderly wired phone system to save $$$.:banghead:

Most of the Burbs do well enough, but almost all of the rural areas are rooted, many not able to receive anything unless it's wireless, and that's spotty.
While I'm a couple of hundred klicks away from the CBD I get good to very good speeds, probably because the Peninsula is a very popular holiday zone all year round.
Aside from my reluctance to become an MS Guinea Pig I'll wait and see, presently the 'Guvment' are up to their eyeballs in the COVID second wave so it is not a priority.
:indecisiveness:

mike_cyul
July 30th, 2020, 06:23
I'm testing the Closed Beta, and never did I wish more that I could talk about something. But an NDA is an NDA. Oh well. Soon enough....

The NDA has been lifted for "media", such as YouTube 'influencers', and so you may be able to pick up new info now.

I think I can say, however, that the sim self-identifies my system as "medium", and there are no problems at all.

Mike

BendyFlyer
August 2nd, 2020, 17:10
Thanks for the heads up Mike. Yep as Wombat 666 says our internet system has been a complete cluster. Here's salt in the wound - they put the main cable from Armidale to Tamworth across one of our back paddocks (six months of fighting and threats to stop them trying to go through a spring and then blasting granite rock) but I cannot have a connection - they offered me a satellite connection instead but I have the major router towers across the valley and wireles works fine but capacity and throttling by the Telcos is the issue. Flaky speeds constantly. Sigh!.

I guess my other main issue is with respect to the new flight sim is this ? Will there be any backward compatibility for sim models? And on that question I have yet to discern a definitive answer - My assessment given MS is maybe maybe not I and I lean to the latter.