PDA

View Full Version : Weather!

TuFun
June 11th, 2020, 17:20
Incredible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AfQGA8i7uQ&list=PLHHNa7e7hf9MimMh1DaJHUis 7JB3O5k4v

srgalahad
June 11th, 2020, 20:04
Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away,
A company called Microsoft wanted weather data for their simulator
So they went and formed an alliance with a reputable, respected company to provide the data
To be delivered directly to the simulator via the internet.

So how's your Jeppesen weather working today?

YoYo
June 11th, 2020, 22:11
Nice! :wiggle:

stansdds
June 12th, 2020, 02:36
So they went and formed an alliance with a reputable, respected company to provide the data

Yep, the contract with Jeppesen expired and with MicroSoft, at the time, having no further interest in flight sims, failed to renew the contract. That left FSX users with the built-in real world weather without a built-in real world weather option. It will take some years to see if MS repeats the same thing.

TuFun
June 12th, 2020, 16:23
This to MeteoBlue is a weather simulator for future commercial uses, not just graphs or satellite images. Much more than a flight simulator.

n4gix
June 13th, 2020, 12:13
This to MeteoBlue is a weather simulator for future commercial uses, not just graphs or satellite images. Much more than a flight simulator.

It is definitely a win-win for both MS/ASOBO and Meteoblue. As the spokesman said, this is the first time they have actually "seen" their world-wide weather in a 3d visual format and not just charts, graphs and such. :applause:

Ganter
June 14th, 2020, 01:54

It was Jeppesen who walked away (slithered out of their MS commitments when they came to an end) when they started creating more than just paper charts.

stansdds
June 14th, 2020, 04:39
It was Jeppesen who walked away (slithered out of their MS commitments when they came to an end) when they started creating more than just paper charts.

I was under the impression that MS simply did not want to renew the contract, thank you for setting the record straight.

Ganter
June 14th, 2020, 08:57
I was under the impression that MS simply did not want to renew the contract, thank you for setting the record straight.

A few things happened at the same time; the MS contract was up for renewal, Jeppesen wanted to take back control of their data distribution to consolidate their future plans to become much more than chart distribution (which they most certainly have these days) and MS seized on the fact that they had stopped supporting FSX.
Not sure what order it all exactly happened in but the upshot was we lost our Realtime Weather.

What happened in the sim after it stopped, if you did click Realtime Weather - usually you got the message; "Unable to download realtime weather" but occasionally what you got was entirely random conditions. Could be anything; CAVOK with wind calm or full hurricane with 120mph winds.

It was like that weather option became the; "Surprise me" button.

stansdds
June 15th, 2020, 01:47
What happened in the sim after it stopped, if you did click Realtime Weather - usually you got the message; "Unable to download realtime weather" but occasionally what you got was entirely random conditions. Could be anything; CAVOK with wind calm or full hurricane with 120mph winds.

It was like that weather option became the; "Surprise me" button.

:biggrin-new: Yes, it certainly has become the "Surprise me" button. LOL!