PDA

View Full Version : PC taken out by Lightning (Again!)

StormILM
May 5th, 2020, 16:28
Re-post from the P3D page:

Hello all! Hope everyone has been doing well in my short absence. As the title says, my luck fell on happenstance Sunday morning one week ago when my house got hit by lightning at just before 3am at the tail end of a passing thunderstorm which is the second such occurrence in less than two years. The lightning struck a nearby pine tree (just as it did in 2018) and jumped over to an outside auxiliary yard electrical receptacle and then followed an underground line into the house where it took out my PC, modems, monitor, controllers, printer (everything connected to the PC), and my house phones Unlike the 2018 strike, this time the lightning melted to wall outlet plug face and smoldered inside the wall which sent a good bit of smoke into the house which needless to say necessitated a call to 911 and a Fire Dept response. Luckily the breaker trip did it's job and and the smolder stopped in place and no further damage or danger of fire was present. So I am back to square one for the moment an the hell of it is, my PC has just been factory rebuilt back in December for a defective MB and CPU and was running just super. So this is an excuse to replace with a new and hotter system. Just ordered a new rig with i9 9900 8 core 5ghz with a NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super 11gb so I should be set. Since I was at it, went ahead and got a nice 32in curved UHD 4k monitor which with my incoming PC I have seen run sims like DCS and others between 135 to 200fps on that monitor so I will be good to go as well as being in even better VR territory (my last system was VR ready). I also finally bought a TM HOTAS Warthog to replace my fried X-56 which I had custom rewired a while back to get the crappy & fragile wiring out of it. Anyhow, my electrician is not only repairing the house electrical lightning damage, he's also going to put in a Whole House Surge Protection System and a Lightning Rod Ground System. It's another $1700 added to the price above the repairs but two nearly identical lightning strikes in two years is in my opinion more than a coincidence (other houses nearby have been hit multiple times over the years). It's going to be another 2 or 3 weeks before I'm back up and running an then I have to reinstall and remap everything but hey, I know it will be worth the wait.

Will be on here up until then trying to catch up as I know things fly fast (pardon the pun) in the world of Flightsim!

scotth6
May 6th, 2020, 06:48
Damn! Sorry to hear that Storm. That is some terrible luck. Good luck with all the repairs and the new setup.

Phantom88
May 6th, 2020, 07:14
Oh Man Storm!! So very sorry buddy,That truly Sucks!!!