PDA

View Full Version : DCS World 2.5.6 Performance Issues

scotth6
March 9th, 2020, 06:05
Hi all,

Is anyone else experiencing performance issues with the new 2.5.6 Open Beta?

I was a bit slow updating, mainly due to the large update size, so I only did it about a week ago. Today I loaded up the campaign I had been using previously, the F/A-18 Hornet Aggressors BFM campaign, and the performance was terrible. I had also just updated my graphics card drivers a night or two ago, but I made sure to delete the shaders and check the settings in the Nvidia control panel and in DCS. The performance was so bad I could not use it. It wasn't actually a slide show, but it was very stuttery and just very uncomfortable in VR. Looking on the DCS World forums I see that there is about a 20 page thread on the issue of performance with the 2.5.6 update. I have not tried it myself, but apparently this last weekend update did not improve it.

I am currently rolling back to the last 2.5.5 version, and that is a 48 GB download, so I'm hoping I get my performance back to normal after that.

Mach3DS
March 9th, 2020, 07:28
I don't know about VR, but using monitor and TIR, performance has increased for me.

StormILM
March 9th, 2020, 11:36
After my PC's CPU and MB died last December (and was factory repaired), after I reinstalled DCS I had similar issues even with the original settings restored which baffled me. DCS looked great but the performance was crappy considering I am running an i7-8700k, 32gb ram, and a GTX 1080 @8gb. I ended up running a lot of tests on the settings and found that the best performance (near or better than my previous install) was best if I used my Nvidia control panel settings on various graphics settings in lieu of the DCS settings. I saw an increase in performance after that and especially with 2.5.6 Open Beta. I have heard directly from VR users who have had significant issues with this but I wonder if it would be worth a try to change the settings to rely on the Nvidia control panel over DCS settings? The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the GPU and VR manufacturers need to tweak and test their software/firmware (with ED working to verify it) to get things back to being parallel. Like others here, I have had my share of post update troubles as well after program and video driver updates. It's a real headache when the testing misses a good bit of things.

I hope you get this sorted and soon.

Mach3DS
March 9th, 2020, 11:38
Yeah I'm running an 8 year old AMD 8150 and a 1080 ti

Victory103
March 9th, 2020, 12:01
The VR guys in my group were having pretty bad FPS issues along with the servers many experienced. I waited to update and finally took the plunge last night in MP on the AO server, in time to watch the new sunrise! The Tomcat can be a pretty good FPS hog, but without any tweaks no issues for me and I'm still on the old TrackIR. I thought a few bugs were fixed, apparently not when my Grumman Iron Works machine explodes on CAT 3.

Phantom88
March 9th, 2020, 13:32
Every New Open Beta Update,and every time a install a new Graphics driver I delete these two folders ...fxo and metalshaders2 found in
C/Users/Your Name/Saved Games/DCS Open Beta/. This seems to help with Performance in VR.DCS will re-create them on next start up.

Mach3DS
March 9th, 2020, 15:27
Victory, who do you fly with?

scotth6
March 10th, 2020, 03:47
Thanks for the input guys, it's appreciated. Patrick, thanks for the advice, I also delete those shader folders after any update or change to graphics card settings or drivers, but this time it didn't make a difference for me.

I have reverted back to the last 2.5.5 version and performance seems to be back to normal, so I will wait for a while to see if any more improvements or optimisations are made before I update again.

Just for the sake of interest, here is a thread discussing the matter of performance in 2.5.6 on the DCS World forums:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=263428

Cheers,

Victory103
March 13th, 2020, 19:20
Victory, who do you fly with?

JTF-1/CSG-1 (Viper) and CVW-8 (Tomcat).

Mach3DS
March 13th, 2020, 20:20
What sqdn in JTF-1? 55th? Are you part of the The Viper Pit Discord?

Victory103
March 14th, 2020, 13:45
Yes/Yes and the Tomcat Discord. Now if could quit working/baby-sitting and + up my DCS time.

Mach3DS
March 16th, 2020, 11:25
Yes/Yes and the Tomcat Discord. Now if could quit working/baby-sitting and + up my DCS time.

haha you and me both brother!