PDA

View Full Version : Old C130s Dont Fade Away........

Emil Frand
February 25th, 2009, 05:43
They get blown away
http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=184137&ESRC=navy.nl

cheezyflier
February 25th, 2009, 11:01
sometimes they also get blown away by actual wind:

http://micom.net/oops/Tornado%20Delaware%20ANG.pps

Navy Chief
February 25th, 2009, 11:36
Not nice to watch! There's a video of a Phantom being slammed into a concrete wall. I'd rather just think they all went to Davis-Monthan!!

NC

Railrunner130
February 25th, 2009, 14:44
The video wasn't of an "old" Herk. It was an '86 model airplane, which is fairly new compairitively speaking. That one certainly did it's job and paid the ultimate sacrifice for it's efforts. Everyone walked away from it.

As for what Cheezyflier was trying to show you, a tornado can do some serious damage. Only one of the five airplanes was written off. One of the main tires was found sitting, fully inflated, inside the cargo compartment. Odd how things like that happen. Luckily, the damage was such that the written off airplane was used to fix the rest and aided in getting them flying again sooner.

war.ace
February 25th, 2009, 14:54
I don't get it... why don't they just repair the c-130? instead of blowing it up.

OBIO
February 25th, 2009, 15:56
From the longer version of that video that I have seen, the plane was sitting along side an airstrip that was in a heavily contested area, with active combat going on daily. Time and crew were not available to repair the aircraft, and the risk of it falling into enemy hands was high. So, to protect the secrets of airplane's various defensive systems and avionics, the order was given to totally destroy the plane. The video shows the crew of the plane watching as their ride is blown to bits....and the reaction of the explosives guy when he realizes that he may have used just a bit too much high explosives (which is silly, as one can never use too much explosives...ever watched the folks on MythBusters blow stuff up?!?!?!?).

OBIO

cheezyflier
February 26th, 2009, 06:41
( one can never use too much explosives.).

OBIO

my army recruiter was a demo guy. he always said the same thing. he was a total nut, and a fun guy to party with. although he was missing 2 fingers...

war.ace
February 26th, 2009, 12:43
my army recruiter was a demo guy. he always said the same thing. he was a total nut, and a fun guy to party with. although he was missing 2 fingers...
:jawdrop:

TARPSBird
February 26th, 2009, 13:52
A while back somebody sent me a link to a vid showing British Army guys blowing up one of their Hercs, similar circumstances as Emil's clip. The Brits definitely used enough explosive for that job! :d

cheezyflier
February 26th, 2009, 14:06
:jawdrop:

i should clarify, i never got the chance to serve. although i scored very high on the asvab test, i failed the hearing test, so no helicopters for me. once i learned that, i decided not to pursue it further

Railrunner130
February 26th, 2009, 15:31
I don't get it... why don't they just repair the c-130? instead of blowing it up.

The airplane impacted the ground so hard that the cargo compartment floor buckled. Based on that alone, I imagine the entire structure was seriously damaged beyond repair. I imagine the wing box sustained some serious damage as well.

That being said, the engines, props, avionics and some equipment was removed and passed along to the remainder of the fleet. I'd guess that they were sent out for overhaul first, though.