PDA

View Full Version : problem with texture sizes

Cees Donker
February 7th, 2020, 09:55
I need some help on this one!

After doing my repaint routine in PSP I usually save my work as a bmp. Loading the bmp in DXTBmp it is reduced in size and thus ruining the details like the texts of the stencils. can I avoid this?

:engel016:

Cees

erican2
February 7th, 2020, 10:42
Have you tried paint.net.

g.dawg
February 7th, 2020, 11:37
I need some help on this one!

After doing my repaint routine in PSP I usually save my work as a bmp. Loading the bmp in DXTBmp

:engel016:

Cees

Does PSP allow you to export/save files as .psd? if so try saving a copy as .psd and loading that in DXTBmp and see what happens.

Gary

Cees Donker
February 7th, 2020, 11:53
Does PSP allow you to export/save files as .psd? if so try saving a copy as .psd and loading that in DXTBmp and see what happens.

Gary

I think a photoshop file isn't opened by DXTBmp.

Cees

Correction! It opens, but the textures are resized all the same.

g.dawg
February 7th, 2020, 12:02
[QUOTE=Cees Donker;1209894

Correction! It opens, but the textures are resized all the same.[/QUOTE]

I remember many moons ago something like that happening to me (took me months to realize the files were being resized.) I can't remember for sure how I corrected it.

your bitmaps are 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 to start? DXTBmp is not like imgtool your images have to be the standard sizes.
Other than that I'm afraid I'm useless to you but good luck

Gary

Mike71
February 8th, 2020, 02:15
In Photoshop, simply select "Edit/Copy Merged", then paste it into your opened "Norm" bitmap file that DXT opens when you send i to the editor.

Make sure it has not been flipped vertically - depends if you are using a paint kit that flipped it to make it easy to paint - then just select SAVE in in the editor you have hooked to DXT.

Then of course refresh the image before saving via DXT.

As I understand it, textures have to be in a "power of 2", that's why the standard sizes like 512, 1024, 2048 etc

This works for me all the time - hope it helps. Also checking the bmp size when you send it to the editor (I use MS paint), keeps you up to speed on what you are working with.

Cees Donker
February 8th, 2020, 12:04
Mike, I use Paint shop Pro. I tried it and DXTBmp reduses the size just the same. Thanks for the effort anyway!

Cees

Cees Donker
February 8th, 2020, 12:58
Imagetool does the job! Yes!

:jump:
Cees