PDA

View Full Version : Controller Hardware Anomaly

StormILM
January 30th, 2020, 12:56
Just wanted to ask here (repost from the P3D forum),

This morning I went to run a test of one of my models after making a tweak and after I started P3D and went to fly, I noticed that all of the buttons on my X56 stick were not functioning. The Axis were all fine. I did the normal troubleshoot to see what was going on, no joy. I closed P3D and went to DCS, same thing. Oddly my X56 throttle's buttons and sliders worked normally. This X56 unit (which was a replacement for my original) doesn't have a lot of time and wear on it and has already outlasted the original I had by 3 years. I was able to figure out that the buttons on the stick were actually fully functional but not communicating with either sim. I did a Hail Mary pass/move and decided to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them. Boom! Problem fixed. That leads me to the question if this was some odd glitch or overwrite with a Windows 10 update involving USB drivers/firmware that screwed things up? Anyone else seen this sort of thing? I also take note that it looks like the X56 drivers haven't been updated in over 2 years which makes me wonder if they may be prone to glitches like this with each Windows update or other issues.

udidwht
February 22nd, 2020, 09:25
At times both my axes for the stick will vanish. I have to go into the software (X56 HOTAS) and re calibrate both then I'm back in business. I have heard that it's best to use a powered USB hub and plug both controllers into it. Which I do.

StormILM
February 22nd, 2020, 11:44
At times both my axes for the stick will vanish. I have to go into the software (X56 HOTAS) and re calibrate both then I'm back in business. I have heard that it's best to use a powered USB hub and plug both controllers into it. Which I do.

Yeah, I figured out that using the calibrate function would usually fix the issue although I ended up seeing the POV hat stop working and the re-calibrate didn't fix that. Apparently just a bad contact with the pins between the stick and the base which I fixed by unscrewing the stick, pushing on the contact pins a few times, cleared right up. So far, the X-56 has held up a lot better than the X-55 did. I will take your advice on the powered USB port.

scotth6
February 25th, 2020, 04:46
I always get some strange behaviour with my HOTAS Warthog and Saitek pro combat rudder pedals, but only in DCS World. Every now and then I need to redo my controls, usually after an update to DCS, although I will just fix up each aircraft as I fly it. Also, the first time I set controls for an aircraft, a lot of functions are pre mapped, but I always find that axis controls are triple mapped to joystick, throttle, and rudder. This plays havoc obviously, until I fix it up by deleting the extra maps. Sometimes buttons and key maps are also duplicated across two or more devices.