PDA

View Full Version : C-7 Caribou

noddy
February 25th, 2009, 01:10
Just read this over at Alphasim..

Now available for FSX - the C-7 Caribou ! The Caribou package has now been ported over properly to FSX (the original portover had problems, esp. in SP2, and was withdrawn, these have now been fixed). Note, as an FS9-to-FSX portover, there are no FSX special features such as bump mapping or self-shadowing. However, for an older model it does look good and flies well. There are no reported issues with SP2 either. Pilots are now togglable on water rudder. Existing owners of the Caribou just need to log in to their account area and they can download the FSX version. Pre- Jan '06 purchasers should send us an e-mail with either an order No. or the e-mail address used at the time of purchase, or street address. We will then forward a link to the C-7 download area.

Mithrin
February 25th, 2009, 01:30
Waiting for a download reactivation. Pretty cool, definitely one of my fav planes for FS9!

jeansy
February 25th, 2009, 02:03
shame, bit disappointed that there is no bump mapping or self shadowing,

i do understand the amount of work that goes into making bump mapping but with it, it makes a huge difference in the exterior visual quality.

d0mokun
February 25th, 2009, 02:04
The amount of work required to get this one FSX native is massive compared to the others. It's a nightmare at source level.

So Phil decided to do a 'decent' port over. It's better than nothing I guess, for it was never intended to be this way nor did it cost anyone anything extra.

Mithrin
February 25th, 2009, 02:13
I appreciate the hard work Dan. I know I've bugged you about this one a couple of times and I'm pretty happy with a proper portover! :ernae:

Bone
February 25th, 2009, 05:55
At least you don't have to worry about it being incompatible with FS11. People can get it now without feeling like they are wasting cash.

Crusader
February 25th, 2009, 07:43
Very , Very slow download on a broadband .:sleep:

RCAF_Gunner
February 25th, 2009, 16:30
Under Acceleration, does the external view have the usual ported FS9 model issue with the props and clouds in the external view?

Thanks.

Crusader
February 25th, 2009, 17:29
Is anyone having difficulty downloading ? I've attempted four different times at various times of the the day today using cable broadband it it slows to a crawl and sticks at 3.96KB/Sec and then times out at around 6% D/L . I realize their server must be getting hit hard but this is alittle flustrating .:banghead:

Rich(Less and less patience as I lumber through old age)

d0mokun
February 25th, 2009, 17:45
Servers are fine and aren't experiencing any loads really.

They're going well for me, and I'm in NZ. The servers are in Germany iirc.

It might be worth waiting a few hours, or even a day. I realise you might've done that already but if its some sort of DNS or host issue, there's not much anyone can do.

:help:

Cactuskid
February 25th, 2009, 18:24
I D/L'd it this morning and it was pretty quick. I think I'll take her up for a spin and see how she does compared to the older version. Even the old version was fun to fly...

jojohnson9
February 26th, 2009, 03:28
This has always been a good aircraft and now it is better. The prop reverse feature allows for great short field landings...read the instructions!
Spreaking of props...you need to replace them with good FSX screws. The downloaded ones block scenery and clouds; transparent on my machine. An easy fix. As AlphaSim said. it is not a full FSX plane; but it is fun to fly and I like it. :applause:

RCAF_Gunner
February 26th, 2009, 17:05
...Spreaking of props...you need to replace them with good FSX screws. The downloaded ones block scenery and clouds; transparent on my machine. An easy fix...

When you say "an easy fix" do you mean replacing the prop textures with new ones that minimize the visual problem (which is what I've done on some other port overs) or is there a way to fix them all together so the SP2 cloud/building issue is completely gone?

Thanks.

tigisfat
February 26th, 2009, 17:40
May we have a ton of pics please, including VC? The Alphasim gallery has always been pretty small for a hi-res guy.

d0mokun
February 26th, 2009, 18:31
I've got it installed so if nobody else takes up the challenge, I'll shoot it.

But do bare in mind that it is nearing 3/4 years old, iirc. I built that VC a long time ago.

jojohnson9
February 27th, 2009, 03:47
When you say "an easy fix" do you mean replacing the prop textures with new ones that minimize the visual problem (which is what I've done on some other port overs) or is there a way to fix them all together so the SP2 cloud/building issue is completely gone?

Thanks.
I did not mean a complete fix as my post states (sorry to mislead). It does, as you say, minimize the problems. I still have the cloud problem, as always with portovers.
I did correct the problem of blanking out buildings and trees. I used props that were created by Diego Barreto for the L-1649A "Starliner". I have found the his props work with most of my many portrovers. But I have found none that fix the cloud problem or solid prop shadows.
Unfortunately, I do not remember where I downloaded his great work. I believe it was a single prop disk file...not his entire Starliner download.
Perhaps someone can help with my faulty memory.

tigisfat
February 27th, 2009, 14:02
I've got it installed so if nobody else takes up the challenge, I'll shoot it.

But do bare in mind that it is nearing 3/4 years old, iirc. I built that VC a long time ago.

I still fly the CLS DC-10 all the time, and it's got an older looking VC. Not to mention that your 4 year old VC is still comparable to the latest abacus products.:wiggle:

doublecool
February 27th, 2009, 18:16
I still like it:applause:

PRB
February 27th, 2009, 18:47
Dang, this is one ugly airplane -- I like it! I also like the prop pitch reversal capability for landing on really short runways. VC is nice too. I haven't bought this plane in the past because it was FS9 only. But I bought it today.

TeaSea
February 28th, 2009, 05:12
Back in the 80's when the Army still flew these we got to jump them quite a bit. One of the best jumps I ever had was out of one of these, and it was because the thing was so sloooowwww.

Unfortunately I had my leg straps adjustment off and the buckles bit a little. But I remember being the last guy to exit, turning around in the air after checking my canopy, and seeing the loadmaster standing on the little wooden ramp looking straight at me.

RCAF_Gunner
February 28th, 2009, 08:25
I did not mean a complete fix as my post states (sorry to mislead). It does, as you say, minimize the problems. I still have the cloud problem, as always with portovers.
I did correct the problem of blanking out buildings and trees. I used props that were created by Diego Barreto for the L-1649A "Starliner". I have found the his props work with most of my many portrovers. But I have found none that fix the cloud problem or solid prop shadows.
Unfortunately, I do not remember where I downloaded his great work. I believe it was a single prop disk file...not his entire Starliner download.
Perhaps someone can help with my faulty memory.

Thanks John. I appreciate the info.

Rick

calypsos
March 4th, 2009, 02:58
My download (the last one it said) has just stopped at about 25%!!!!:help:

Oh well, I guess I will stick with my FS9 version for now.