PDA

View Full Version : ETO Expansion Era Question

wsmwsm
September 27th, 2008, 06:58
First, thanks all. I finally got it installed and it's great.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but. . .no matter what number I choose, the only era I get is "Attack in the West '40". Can someone help with this?

Thanks.

viso
September 27th, 2008, 07:22
Stuck in West 40? If you ask me, that's like being "stuck" in Disneyworld! You should be thrilled! :costumes:

Did you install ETO to a drive other than C:? If you did, then you need to modify the various BAT files as explained in the instructions. There are two BAT files that need to be modified. Also, the files are write-protected so you need to unprotect them or else your changes won't be saved.

The other possibility is that you didn't rename your ETO correctly. But my money's still on the BAT file thing.

ETO does get fussy when not configured correctly, so you may have ended up with a corrupt install. I would recommend taking the extra time to delete your ETO and re-install it. In addition to deleting your ETO program directory, you'll also want to delete your CFS ETO Expansion directories in both (1) your My Documents folder and (2) your C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Microsoft folder.

Follow the instructions word-by-word and step-by-step. It's worth the time. You kept the download file, right? When you've done the installation and modified the BAT files and done everything else, go ahead and start ETO for the first time. You should be good to go.

rbp71854
September 27th, 2008, 07:24
W

Did you name the install "CFS3 ETO Expansion"?

Did you install ETO to a path other than the default?

If you installed to a path other than the default did you then edit the 2 era swapper files per the readme by using the edit function?

If you didn't edit the swapper files before running the theater your era files may be corrupt and you will need to follow the readme directions for re-installing the ORIFs.

A quick way to check if your era files are corrupt is to look at the first entry in the Global_Layer.csv and the QCLocations.xml. Both should be the same year i.e Innsbruck (1936) or Innsbruck (1945) depending upon the era year.

Edit: Oooh, V you are quick.

First, thanks all. I finally got it installed and it's great.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but. . .no matter what number I choose, the only era I get is "Attack in the West '40". Can someone help with this?

Thanks.

wsmwsm
September 27th, 2008, 07:41
Thanks. However. . .

I installed the game in the default locations. I used the correct name ["CFS3 ETO Expansion"] when prompted at the pop-up.

In terms of the GSL, my global_layer folder has five listings for gsl global_layers - global_layer; bob_global_layer; 1943, 1944 and 1945 global-layers. The file entitled global_layer has as its first listing Innsbrueck 1936. The first listings in the other global_layer files follow accordingly, bob, 1943, etc.

First QC location is Innsbrueck 1936.

So, it seem to me, that I downloaded and installed by the book, but what do I know.

Do I really have to reinstall? I did save it but. . .

I use Vista. Is this an issue?

rbp71854
September 27th, 2008, 08:11
The ETO is fine in Vista. For some reason the era swappers are not switching. When you enter your the numbr 1 through 5, then keystroke "Enter" do you get another command window opening that says enter any key?

Thanks. However. . .

I installed the game in the default locations. I used the correct name ["CFS3 ETO Expansion"] when prompted at the pop-up.

In terms of the GSL, my global_layer folder has five listings for gsl global_layers - global_layer; bob_global_layer; 1943, 1944 and 1945 global-layers. The file entitled global_layer has as its first listing Innsbrueck 1936. The first listings in the other global_layer files follow accordingly, bob, 1943, etc.

First QC location is Innsbrueck 1936.

So, it seem to me, that I downloaded and installed by the book, but what do I know.

Do I really have to reinstall? I did save it but. . .

I use Vista. Is this an issue?

grizzly50
September 27th, 2008, 08:16
:kilroy:Wsmwsm, do not re-install yet. You have five global layers, and those are their names. Start the game again, and pick Era 1. Then go to the QC section and choose Free Flight. Make all of your normal settings the way you would with stock CFS3. Then click FLY. Then exit the game entirely.

Now, start it again, choosing another Era at start and see what happens. If you still have the problem, we'll see what we can do to help you.

wsmwsm
September 27th, 2008, 08:25
Yes, I get the any keystroke message.

I followed Grizzley50's advise. No go. It's always Attack in the West.

rbp71854
September 27th, 2008, 08:31
W

Pleaee go to windows explorer and click on CFS3 ETO Expansion and copy the path and post it here on the forum so I can see what your install path is.

Edit: This is my vista installed path for ETO C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion

Yes, I get the any keystroke message.

I followed Grizzley50's advise. No go. It's always Attack in the West.

wsmwsm
September 27th, 2008, 08:53
It's Local Disk C/Program Files/Microsoft Games/CFS3 ETO Expansion. It's the right path, correct?

rbp71854
September 27th, 2008, 09:07
W

Can you please copy and paste it. After you click on CFS3 ETO Expansion click on the file icon, the most extreme left of where the path window is. its real small next to the drop down window for local disk. I really need to see the path as shown in Windows Explorer, not what is typed.

It's Local Disk C/Program Files/Microsoft Games/CFS3 ETO Expansion. It's the right path, correct?

wsmwsm
September 27th, 2008, 09:54
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion.

I acutally don't know how to cut and paste something to a post like this. Did I do the above correctly? Is there something more?

rbp71854
September 27th, 2008, 10:09
It looks right, but W there may be a space or something else in the path that is why I would like to see it copied and pasted. So bear with me I will walk you through copying and pasting. Go to windows explorer. left click until you click on CFS3 ETO Expansion.
Then left click on the little file icon next to local disk. you will then see the path window open up.
Select the path by holding down and moving the mouse across the path until the whole path is highlighted. Then right click and a dialog box will open up, select copy.

Now go to SOH and post a reply, just right click at the curser and the dialog box will open up and select paste.

PM me with your e-mail address and I will also send you my 2 era swappers from my vista install for you to try.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion.

I acutally don't know how to cut and paste something to a post like this. Did I do the above correctly? Is there something more?

wsmwsm
September 27th, 2008, 11:21
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion

That's what I did above. I guess it worked. Here it is again.

rbp71854
September 27th, 2008, 11:40
Yes it looks good

E-mail on the way with my Vista installed swappers. If they do not work my next suggestion would be to re-install.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion

That's what I did above. I guess it worked. Here it is again.

wsmwsm
September 27th, 2008, 12:47
Thanks much. Will let you know.

estepp
September 27th, 2008, 14:05
I also have the same problem as wsmwsm and Ihave vista. I have been flying in the phony war and ETO looks great.

rbp71854
September 27th, 2008, 15:28
What version Vista are you folks running? Home premium? Running as administrator?

wsmwsm
September 27th, 2008, 15:37
I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Maybe it's because when I installed, I did not "Run as Administrator". Now the issue is, do I unintall and run the application as an administrator. And if so, how do I fully uninstall?

rbp71854
September 27th, 2008, 16:02
I am running home premuim as well.

Okay i just re-confirmed that the installer is set up to "run as administrator" in a vista install.

To uninstall:

Delete your Microsoft Games\CFS ETO Expansion Folderand contents
Delete the [user]documents'CFS3 ETO Expansion folder and contents
Delete the [user]Appdata\roaming\microsoft\CFS3 ETO Expansion folder and contents. This may be in local rather than roaming, but this is where your uisel, config overides, etc reside.

Then reinstall.

Thanks for the patience W.

I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Maybe it's because when I installed, I did not "Run as Administrator". Now the issue is, do I unintall and run the application as an administrator. And if so, how do I fully uninstall?

wsmwsm
September 27th, 2008, 16:05
Thanks for your help. Will try soon.

estepp
September 27th, 2008, 16:54
I have vista home premium 32 bit. I ran the installer as administrator. I tried to start ETO as administrator but it did not give me the era swapper, it just gave me the screen press any button to continue.

wsmwsm
September 27th, 2008, 17:07
Same here. Unistalled. Reinstalled as adminstrator. Tried to run both ways. No go.