PDA

View Full Version : MegaScenery Over My House

harleyman
February 24th, 2009, 06:27
I decided that for $2.99 I couldn't go wrong..i thought I would fly over my house and snap a pic of it...... I had seen where others had done that and even could see their vehicles in the driveway....

I was going to post a pic of mine

Well mine were crummy..Could not even really make out anything at all other than it was my house..

That made me angry..So i went and got Google Earth again..

Here is my little house in the country...

kilo delta
February 24th, 2009, 06:59
Google doesn't even have my town mapped :( :faint:
Nice house, Mason :ernae:

Navy Chief
February 24th, 2009, 07:38
Google Maps satellite picture of my place won't go any closer than a blur. This one isn't much better, and is from TerraServer. Mine is the house closest to center of picture. The neighbors carved out more of their woods to put another trailer, almost dead even with my property at the back. Lovely. Not.

NC

JimC1702
February 24th, 2009, 07:55
Can we come over for cocktails by the pool? :ernae:

Jim

Lionheart
February 24th, 2009, 09:43
Nice pool man!

:ernae:

Gotta have a proper pool...

Is that a guest bungalow cottage out in the back? or the Sim Command Center 'building' and fascility. :d

Bill

Boomer
February 24th, 2009, 09:56
You arent that far out in the country if you have that high a rez photo.

In like Chief, my house is about square in the middle of the picture.

harleyman
February 24th, 2009, 10:20
Nice pool man!

:ernae:

Gotta have a proper pool...

Is that a guest bungalow cottage out in the back? or the Sim Command Center 'building' and fascility. :d

Bill

Next to the pool is my pool house and shop.... The smaller building in the far back right corner is a storage building....

I can't believe that I got such a good pic when others don't ...I am 7 miles from a very small town in central NC.....

Pool house and work shop...the computer room is actually in my house off my bedroom... The pool deck was redone this summer and made red with cool deck,and a BBQ was added in the back corner ,not shown in Google earth...LOL I lost pics of the new BBQ....Oppsss

Dangerous Beans
February 24th, 2009, 10:36
Country bumkins :)
I'm a city dog, born and bred.

harleyman
February 24th, 2009, 10:51
Dang Beans...Thats real clear.....Which car is yours...LOL

What color is the bonnet? LOL

Dangerous Beans
February 24th, 2009, 11:00
None of them, I only have a bike.
I must have been out when that was taken as its usually parked by the tree.

spotlope
February 24th, 2009, 13:23
It's creepy how much you can tell about when the picture was taken by the visual clues in GE. Both my vehicles - the red Subaru and my pickup - are home. It's summer, and probably last summer judging by the size of the dogwood tree by my bedroom window. I half expected to see one of my dogs on the deck, staring up at the camera, lol.

Looks like my 'hood is a bit more urban than most of you guys, except for Mr. Beans.

Lewis-A2A
February 24th, 2009, 13:25
ill trade you the next accusim bird for a week beside that pool in the summer :friday:

harleyman
February 24th, 2009, 13:35
ill trade you the next accusim bird for a week beside that pool in the summer :friday:

Deal....Come on across the pond.....:woot:

Dangerous Beans
February 24th, 2009, 13:57
That last shot dousnt really do it justice so heres a slghty wider wiew.
There is a few little bits of green in there :)
City life isnt so bad and theres always somewhere open nearbye night or day if you need anything.

Cazzie
February 24th, 2009, 14:24
Country boy here too, but nowhere near the res harleyman has of his residence. Nice Crib Mason.

Caz

harleyman
February 24th, 2009, 14:34
Country boy here too, but nowhere near the res harleyman has of his residence. Nice Crib Mason.

Caz

Wow...Nice Cazzie You are totally surrounded by woods... Gotta like that.......:applause:

Dangerous Beans...Thats a nice looking city actually... It appears that there are little parks and stuff all over ....

Cazzie
February 24th, 2009, 15:24
Wow...Nice Cazzie You are totally surrounded by woods... Gotta like that.......:applause:

But two-thirds of the SOBs are Virginia Pines and you can have each and every one of them! BTW, The high Sheriff of Pittsylvania County lives right across the gulch behind me. Makes shooting my guns a lot easier, cause Mike likes to shoot too. :>)

Caz

d0mokun
February 24th, 2009, 15:40
City life isnt so bad and theres always somewhere open nearbye night or day if you need anything.

Tell me about it. I went from living near Derby to being in a place where the nearest 'large' city (about half the size of Derby, no less) is 3 hours away!

Still, I like it.:focus:

limjack
February 24th, 2009, 16:25
You are doing well harleyman. I could imagine myself with a martini at sunset sitting by your pool and 80 degrees out, yes that would do it. Very nice.

Spotlope, I used to live down in your area. Have you gone up and climbed into the crator on Mt. Tabor yet? Your own little volcano in your back yard.

Jim

harleyman
February 24th, 2009, 18:21
But two-thirds of the SOBs are Virginia Pines and you can have each and every one of them! BTW, The high Sheriff of Pittsylvania County lives right across the gulch behind me. Makes shooting my guns a lot easier, cause Mike likes to shoot too. :>)

Caz

Being from Virginia I know all about those blasted pines......:argue:

Limjack... I'll make you a Martina to die for..when I was a drinking man they were my favorite....Shaken, not Stirred :costumes:

jimjones
February 25th, 2009, 05:01
Nice house and pool, Harley.

I can see why you went to Google to see your house.

I was curious though about your first post in this thread, showing 2 nearly identical pics. Perhaps you intended to show what the Megascenery looked like in comparison.

It would be nice if you could post a Megascenery pic for comparison. That could be useful to others considering Megascenery.

Personally, the Megascenery gives only a rough view of houses, but looks great from 4000ft for larger objects.

Jim

jimjones
February 25th, 2009, 06:06
Attached are 5 pics of my house. The first is a fs4 shot at 4.7 m/pixel. The 2nd is fsx at 1M/pixel and the 3rd is fsx at 1ft/pixel. The 4th is a Google pic. The source is the same USGS data for Louisville, KY for all pics. The 5th pic is a 3D model of my neighborhood (my house in center) resting on 1ft/pixel photoreal scenery.

All but the Google pic are my own scenery creations for fs. The fs9 and fsx 1M/pixel sceneries are available at flightsim.com. The Google image has a better color. The files were too large for me to manipulate the color and contrast. Also the Google image has less jaggies, presumably because it did not have to be reprojected to fit into the fs world.

Megascenery has not issued scenery for Louisville. My Louisville scenery is free, but is day time only. It will be interesting to see if Megascenry will duplicate areas where others have produced free scenery of equal or near equal qality. Megascenery is producing its scenery for both day and night, a nice feature and selling point.

MegaSceneryEarth promotes its scenery as 1M/pixel in most of its ads, but on close inspection one learns that 2M/pixel source data was used in some areas. I have purchased several of their sceneries, most of them good, but was disappointed in Northern MI, where it would be very difficult to see ones house clearly.

harleyman
February 25th, 2009, 06:08
That was a good idea...

Mine however in FSX MegaScenery at 3000 look horrible....

jimjones
February 25th, 2009, 06:34
Thanks Harley for your Megascenery shot. Seems pretty typical of the best of what the Megascenry will provide at this level of detail.

Still, I like to use Megascenery for flying at higher altitudes where high detail is not as important.

harleyman
February 25th, 2009, 06:54
No problem.. I forgot to add that with my original post...:faint:

Typically they look great at 4-5 thousand feet...but on final they start to look somewhat iffy to me ....LOL

But they are a nice color at altitude...

I have them all for FS9..They do a great job of covering up the black spots they thought we might like to see.....:gossip: