PDA

View Full Version : Aaahhh!!!!

winslow33
October 9th, 2008, 16:40
:censored::isadizzy::banghead:
A few hours ago I went to fire up my XP computer I bought off a friend a while back. It said to remove any disks and press any key to restart. So I pulled out my thumb drive and hit any key. It just came back up again. So then I was mildly worried. I popped my homemade DOS bootup floppy disk in and tried restarting. After loading DOS from the CD, I inspected the hard drive. Let me tell you that mild worry turned to absolute panic when I discovered that EVERYTHING was gone off the HD. That includes my Swiss Bf 109, American Ambulance, and Finnish DC-2 I was almost finished making.:banghead: XP was no huge deal, I can just re-install it, but most of my data was unreplacable. Here's some free advice a wise man once said: "Always back up your data." Next time I might just listen to him...:banghead::banghead::censored::censored::isa dizzy::isadizzy:

smilo
October 10th, 2008, 07:22
I know it's hindsight,
but I would say, that's what the thumb drive is for.
...quick, easy, transferable storage.
not to mention, it's tougher than a disk.
sorry for your lose.

Ivan
October 10th, 2008, 07:41
Hi Smilo,

I have had two failures of flash drives so far.

- Ivan.

smilo
October 10th, 2008, 08:18
shows what I know...:icon_lol:

winslow33
October 10th, 2008, 11:33
Well, in hindsight it's not as bad as I thought... I did have a copy of my ambulance textures on my thumb drive.

winslow33
October 10th, 2008, 14:07
Update: I just bought a 4GB thumb drive. Now when I get a new hard drive popped in and Windows installed I'll have no reason to not back everything up.:jump:

winslow33
October 12th, 2008, 17:25
Well, instead of buying a new hard drive I took the cheap way out: I reformated the old hard drive and reinstalled windows onto that. But now I'm having trouble: Every few minutes while I play Age of Empires 1, the computer pauses for a second or two and the floppy drive makes noise. Then I can continue playing. Oddly, that only happens when playing AOE!!! And from time to time, a popup box comes up and says: "there is no disk in the drive." And it gives me three options: Retry, Cancel, or Continue. So I just press continue and everything is fine, but I have to say it's getting annoying.

Is this what I get for re-using the hard drive, or is it something else? I've reformated hard drives before and never had a problem.:banghead:

smilo
October 12th, 2008, 17:52
simple solution...
don't play Age of Empires 1
:jump:______:173go1:

sorry, I couldn't resist

Skyferret
October 13th, 2008, 22:44
So, you think that was a bang head on wall expirience.

Mine was as non bootable as you could imagine. Thought it was a pooched HD. I stumbled upon the CD that came with my new HD I got a while ago. Found that it had a "create boot diskette" feature. So I did that but a last resort I had to write all 0's to the HD with it. Then format. Then setup. Now comes the updates. I get to about update #2 and something broad-sides me right off the bat. When you see spelling mistakes in some unusual pop-up, you know it's BOGUS. So it's back to reformat and then setup. I'm as far as SP2 as we speak.

So yes, I'm back. Hopefully everything goes ok. Been a long night. Me hungry. Micky Dee's drive-thru 24 hr.

Cheers. Sky.