PDA

View Full Version : Can this be done?

Skyferret
February 23rd, 2009, 13:06
I doubt if I would be the first to think of this. The question is, can I set the system32 folder's attributes to "read only." You know the part where you right click and select "properties" and check off read only. It will then ask me if I want all sub-directories and files to be the same attribute, in which everything is read only.

The reasoning behind this is, regardless of whatever security software that you are using, I see it as an added protection against any maleware that might slip by and change important system files or rewrite them and corrupt them. I am aware that when you get say windows updates, or install new software, then certain changes or important archiving must happen to these files. So if I needed to envoke such actions, I could simply uncheck this attribute and simply recheck it when all is said and done. So when the action of "install" is about to happen, I simply perform this simple task of unchecking it.

Now, the all important questions. Will Windows start if I do this or will I screw things up royally and my computer wont start? Will everything function normally such as running applications or just web surfing? Are there viruses that can sneak by even if I do this?

So metaphorically speaking, no one sneaks in the door when I'm not looking and I will have to be there to unlock it and see just who wants in with my permission.

Any input on this would be welcome.