PDA

View Full Version : 'Superguns' of Elizabeth I's navy

redriver6
February 23rd, 2009, 11:43
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7899831.stm

great little article and video here except for a few questions..

what size guns?
wieght?
caliber?
shot size
how much powder?
what makes them 'super guns'????????????????????

geez

Collin
February 23rd, 2009, 14:54
Calling them 'super guns' is to get the audience.

This is a replica, which may have been made using modern day casting techniques.

While the cannon may have been powerful, there remains the problem of the shot which could vary in diameter, so much so that gun captains had to keep a special measure calipers to measure the ball. Those found to be close to ideal were usually the first used, as the quality dwindled, the shot became less accurate until finally what was left was double slotted for close up work.

Naval guns of this era didn't have the 4 wheel carriage of the later centuries, these guns had to be manhandled round on a straight limber to be wormed and reloaded.

The assumption that the article writer makes is just that...an assumption, no kind of scientific proof provided.

of course I could be talking outta me rear end.

regards Collin:ernae:

Togo
February 25th, 2009, 12:20
Interesting reply Collin. I'm sure they showed drawings of the guns on carriages in the film. Probably just assuming there would be a carriage. There was no mention of anything other than the guns and a breastplate found, though as it is a dangerous area to work they couldn't spend enough time to find more.

Think the real point of the film was the new? idea that a uniform armament was used in warships for the first time rather than a hotch-potch of various sized guns, in the same vein a HMS Dreadnought 1906.