PDA

View Full Version : My first repaint - SU T6G

Snaker
September 27th, 2008, 06:52
Well, I finially tried repainting. This is my first attempt. It is the Skyunlimited Texan T6G. The original plane (a T6A) is owned by Harry Thompson of Brookings, SD. I have always liked this scheme. The SU pac does not have a T6A in it so I put it on the T6G.

huub vink
September 27th, 2008, 12:43
Nice repaint Snaker, but be aware repainting can become very addictive!

Huub

Panther_99FS
September 27th, 2008, 13:31
be aware repainting can become very addictive!

Huub

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Cerberus
September 29th, 2008, 07:39
looking great, hope you find the time to do many more.

Snaker
September 29th, 2008, 09:51
Thanks for the replies guys! It was fun but challenging at the same time. Hopefully I won't get too hooked on this new aspect of the hobby for me!

I uploaded it to SOH and the usuall other places for those who want. Also - my first post was incorrect - this repaint is for the SU T6-D (not the T6-G as I first stated).

Here is a pic of the original plane.

:ernae:

Snaker
September 29th, 2008, 09:54
oops... here is the pic

TomSteber
September 30th, 2008, 06:10
Great repaint! Really enjoy it. Had her up this morning for awhile.
Just a H.U. The right side insignia on the fuselage has the star upside down.

This isn't one of those crazy "cult" planes, is it? :costumes:

delta_lima
September 30th, 2008, 06:50
Nice choice of subject, and nice job so far.

I don't know if it's my eyes, my monitor, but the repainted plane looks a bit too purple to me. I see your real world photo subject as the standard Korean era navy blue, but I'm wondering about the colour of the repainted model - just curious.

Good job!

dl

Snaker
September 30th, 2008, 09:34
Great repaint! Really enjoy it. Had her up this morning for awhile.
Just a H.U. The right side insignia on the fuselage has the star upside down.

This isn't one of those crazy "cult" planes, is it? :costumes:

LOL - good catch on the star - I will try and post an update. Glad you like it!

:wiggle:

Snaker
September 30th, 2008, 09:40
delta_lima -

Thanks for the feedback on the color. Don't worry about your eyes LOL ....when looking at my own pics and those on the web I found several that also had the plane in a lighter shade of blue. I basically went with a color in between. Here is a pic of the actual plane with the lighter shade of blue.

OBIO
September 30th, 2008, 11:49
Thanks for the replies guys! It was fun but challenging at the same time. Hopefully I won't get too hooked on this new aspect of the hobby for me!

Snaker

Good looking repaint! And don't let these folks scare ya...skinning is not really all that addictive. I started skinning in May of 07, and have only done close to 200 skins since then. There have been times that I would get into a rhythm and go without sleep for 4 days just to paint planes. Then from skinning I branched off into converting planes from other sims into CFS2, redoing panels, tweaking weapons payloads. And now I am working on learning to model new aircraft from scratch. Absolutely no signs of addiction in my case what so ever.

And my therapist agrees that I am not addicted.....he claims that I am totally hooked beyond all means of help.

OBIO

delta_lima
September 30th, 2008, 15:00
delta_lima -

Thanks for the feedback on the color. Don't worry about your eyes LOL ....when looking at my own pics and those on the web I found several that also had the plane in a lighter shade of blue. I basically went with a color in between. Here is a pic of the actual plane with the lighter shade of blue.

Hello Snaker,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, colour is finicky, isn't it? Your first picture's rendition of post WWII USN blue seems to me, the most accurate rendition of the colour. The second picture looks way overexposed to me - but that's just my impression. My guess, though is if you did a random sample of post WWII SNJ photos, you'd see the colour would tend towards having less magenta. Again, not wanting to pour cold water on a great effort, just observing, and offering anything that will help. Looking forward to the finished product.

Regards,

dl

Snaker
September 30th, 2008, 18:46
There have been times that I would get into a rhythm and go without sleep for 4 days just to paint planes........Absolutely no signs of addiction in my case what so ever.
OBIO

LOL :costumes:

Snaker
September 30th, 2008, 18:50
Hello Snaker,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, colour is finicky, isn't it? Your first picture's rendition of post WWII USN blue seems to me, the most accurate rendition of the colour. The second picture looks way overexposed to me - but that's just my impression. My guess, though is if you did a random sample of post WWII SNJ photos, you'd see the colour would tend towards having less magenta. Again, not wanting to pour cold water on a great effort, just observing, and offering anything that will help. Looking forward to the finished product.

Regards,

dl

I did a few quick edits with the star and colors. What do you guys think ? If you want I can upload an update.

TomSteber
October 1st, 2008, 03:15
Yes, update!

Cazzie
October 1st, 2008, 03:56
I haven't uploaded at all yet snaker, so by all means upload the update! :running:

Great looking paint and Huub is correct, repainting is most addictive. It's taken me away from expensive plastic modeling and given me an outlet for my aviation passion.

Has Banana Bob got a suitable propwash for that?

Caz

X_eidos2
October 1st, 2008, 09:06
Hello Snaker,

Are you aware of the visibility switches built into the T-6G model. They're located underneath the pilot seat. They allow you to turn on and off the rockets, wing pylons and antenna. That way you'd have a plane that more closely matches your original.

Your textures made for the AT6D should fit the T6G without any adjustments.

The FSX version will be using the same size textures as well, so once you get your textures made for the FS9 models, they should be good for the FSX as well, as long as the FSX files are saved in the DXT5 format.

Here's a little video showing what's possible with the visibility buttons made before the release. I wanted to keep the switch location a secret until after the release. They were located under the pilot seat because I wanted the switches to be available, but hard enough to get at that you would only go tweaking them when on the ground.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PTiz7nbAwf4

delta_lima
October 1st, 2008, 12:51
I did a few quick edits with the star and colors. What do you guys think ? If you want I can upload an update.

Looks smoking' good, snaker!!

dl

TomSteber
October 3rd, 2008, 03:08

What's the scoop? Looking forward to the update. Wouldn't mind taking her out for a spin this Saturday morning.

Snaker
October 3rd, 2008, 10:32
Hello Snaker,

Are you aware of the visibility switches built into the T-6G model. They're located underneath the pilot seat. They allow you to turn on and off the rockets, wing pylons and antenna. That way you'd have a plane that more closely matches your original.

Thanks for reminding me about these. It works on the T-6G just fine. Those visibility switches are great!!

Snaker
October 3rd, 2008, 10:34
O.K. - it is uploaded. Here are some of the changes I made:

- made the overall texture more closely resemble Navy Blue
- corrected the position of the star on the right side of the aircraft
- changed the alpha on the landing gear covers so they now match better

The new version has a config entery for the t-6G model so you can use the visibility switches.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

NAMBUS
October 3rd, 2008, 20:13
Great work Snaker.
A very nice repaint for a what I feel is a much underrated model that I enjoy very much.
Would love to see some more of your work.

Cheers :ernae::ernae: