PDA

View Full Version : Death of a Sim or not!

noddy
February 22nd, 2009, 11:39
An article from the BBC website.

<TABLE class=storycontent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Journey's end for Flight Simulator

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=storybody><!-- S BO -->
<!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=226 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45498000/jpg/_45498097_flight_226.jpg FSX replicates real airports

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->The news that Microsoft has disbanded the team developing its successful Flight Simulator computer game has come as a shock to virtual aviators like Mike Smartt. He looks back at almost 30 years of taking off and occasionally landing safely in the world's longest gaming franchise.
It's supposed to be the computer game that grown-ups can own up to playing.
For years, Microsoft's Flight Simulator set the standard. Initially, the bar was low as the processing and graphics power of early home computers - like Sinclair's rubber Spectrum - struggled with the demands of replicating global air travel.
But in the early 1980s, as others were still guiding blips across black-and-white screens playing Pong, the thrill of attempting to land a single-engine Cessna, in colour in Flight Simulator's first iteration, was fun unsurpassed.
Never mind that it looked as if the instrument panel in your plane was cardboard stuck on with superglue and the runway facing you was a single dark strip in a featureless yellow field - and that was supposed to be Heathrow. You just had to use your imagination. <!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=231 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5>http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif</TD><TD class=sibtbg>http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif What every simmer dreams about is being called on to land an actual plane in an emergency. http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/inline_dashed_line.gif

<!-- S ILIN -->Job cuts ground Flight Simulator (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7874937.stm)
<!-- E ILIN -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IBOX -->
Twenty-seven years and many updates later, FSX - Flight Simulator Ten - uses the muscle of today's high-end PCs to reproduce faithfully most of the world's airports in millions of colours in minute detail. Cities and landscapes look exactly as they do from the air in real life and air-traffic control instructions for final approach crackle continuously, and often confusingly, over the cockpit intercom.
And still the appeal remains a mystery to many.
With today's computer games, you can wipe out an entire German Panzer division, navigate Formula One's most challenging circuits and manage your football team in the European Championships, all without leaving the comfort of the chair at your PC. So flying an imaginary Boeing 757 from Stansted to Sarajevo in real-time can seem pretty tame.
But later versions of Microsoft FS do seem to "flight simmers", as we are known, to be just like doing the real thing. And more importantly, those who actually do the real thing say it's like that too.
Passenger applause
As one real-world pilot writes: "As a pilot, I use Microsoft Flight Simulator for training scenarios and often fly to a new airport virtually before flying there for real."
Of course, what every simmer dreams about is being called on to land an actual plane in an emergency. A trembling stewardess announces over the public address that both flyers upfront are suffering debilitating convulsions from the in-flight catering and has anyone flown an Airbus before?
"Er, not really but .." you splutter.
You are the last hope and with increasing confidence and cool, you inform ground-control that the myriad of dials and gauges you face, once the ailing captain has been hauled from his seat, are second-nature. Eventually, you plop the aircraft on the runway with a couple of harmless bounces, just for dramatic effect, and applause from the passenger-cabin rings in your ears. <!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=226 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45498000/jpg/_45498205_flight2_226.jpg Taking the controls of a real plane is a 'simmer's' dream

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->
That, of course, is one of the few times you would actually admit to being a simmer in normal company. My wife once informed a telephoning friend that I was "flying around the Australian outback" which gained me more respect than Aretha Franklin until she explained, after which I was never treated in quite the same way again by that particular mate.
Now Microsoft has announced that the special team of developers who have been updating Flight Simulator constantly for a generation is no more. And when asked why and what happens now, Microsoft HQ have chosen to give about the same amount of information you get at most departure gates enquiring about flight delays. Zilch.
Flight simmers (and there are millions of them, believe me - just google Flight Simulator) are devastated. Branded by many as sad nerds, today they really are, at least, the former.
As one asked quite reasonably, why would Microsoft kill off one of the few activities for which they attract much affection?
Tough times
It may be that FSX is so good that further improving the franchise on a computer screen is almost impossible. It may be that yes, the number of people who get a kick out of spending hours at the controls of a pretend aeroplane at which no-one is shooting maybe quite large but there are few new recruits. It could just be that games are not Microsoft's thing and it is true that there are few in-house success stories. So in tough financial times, concentrating on core activities is a good idea. One could speculate for hours. But sorry folks, my 14.30 take-off to Lucerne awaits and in five minutes I miss my slot.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SirBenn21
February 22nd, 2009, 11:50
Even if FSXI does not ever get released, FSX will have a long life yet to go. At least 5 years and I will bet it will still look good in 10 years if developers keep adding new add-ons.
I'm sure there will also be a day when someone will fill the void created by MS.

Ben

mike_cyul
February 22nd, 2009, 12:14
Yes, the ball has passed to us, to make FSX all it can be. I think we're up to it. :)

Mike

Odie
February 22nd, 2009, 12:16
:amen: Mike !

N2056
February 22nd, 2009, 12:22
I'm givin' it all she's got, Captain! :typing:

Seriously...there is a whole lot of fun to be had with FSX. I will be happy with this for a long time :d

harleyman
February 22nd, 2009, 12:23
Nice read...

I believe this will actually allow everybodies rigs to catch up, and the developers time to just go nuts with creativity as this now may just go on forever.....

It is a great sim version,and now can only get better:wavey:

MudMarine
February 22nd, 2009, 12:31
Not the end but only the begining. Now maybe someone will listen to what we really want!

Buddha13
February 22nd, 2009, 13:18
Hi all,
I have only one thing to say here.....CFS2.Over 10 years old now and still going strong.It has passed far beyond the imagination of MS to a point where it now covers the whole world.FSX and FS9 can still do this and more.With a huge modding and user fan base there is really no restriction except oue imagination.

Buddha13

Lionheart
February 22nd, 2009, 13:19
That was a good read...

It is amazing how fun it is to just relax and do a flight. Sad that it is ended. I think MS didnt realise what they had. So much could have been done.

arrghh... .

Bill

harleyman
February 22nd, 2009, 15:07
That was a good read...

It is amazing how fun it is to just relax and do a flight. Sad that it is ended. I think MS didnt realise what they had. So much could have been done.

arrghh... .

Bill

OK Bill...The bottom line here is that the developers(YOU ) are free and clear to have your way..And with the doom to developors of FS11 over their heads, there is now plenty of time to do your thing....:friday:

This sim is now locked for all develempment aspects....Thats a great thing...I can only imagine what might be instore for us in , lets say 6 months...:ernae:

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
February 22nd, 2009, 16:22
FSX is and was " Locked Down " , FS Next is Next. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
It seems the name of the production team has changed but the players remain the same. <o:p></o:p>
Train Sim dies but the characters live on and will get a chance to become ..Sims.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The irony of that is palpable and i can’t wait to see what becomes of them , in the meantime i am also modelling houses with complete interiors , stores and offices because there is a market for architectural renders , walking 3D streets and who knows what else, best to be ready for anything and everything. <o:p></o:p>

Naismith
February 22nd, 2009, 20:22
The only problem I can see re the longevity of FSX is that it is getting a rarer and rarer event to actually see it for sale in the shops. to surmise that it will still look good in 10 years time is irrelevant. If the program can not be easily discovered for sale then it is not going to attract new blood, additionally, it is inevitable that apart from a hard core, people who are at the moment enthusiasts are going to evaporate over time.

SirBenn21
February 22nd, 2009, 20:33
The only problem I can see re the longevity of FSX is that it is getting a rarer and rarer event to actually see it for sale in the shops. to surmise that it will still look good in 10 years time is irrelevant. If the program can not be easily discovered for sale then it is not going to attract new blood, additionally, it is inevitable that apart from a hard core, people who are at the moment enthusiasts are going to evaporate over time.

I think is MS is clever enough, they will keep putting them on the shelves. I would imagine the support would be a problem eventually! :kilroy:
And if activating becomes a problem. Alternative measures will be found to keep on flying.
I hope they will release a last Patch/Service pack when they finially decide not to support it anymore, that will do away with that (Activations).
Or maybe I'll become Pregnant. :173go1:

guzler
February 23rd, 2009, 03:21
My rig is the limiting factor, not the game, that has a long life cycle left in it as rigs catch up. Just reading the forums here, the only reason fsx hasn't completely overtaken fs9 is because of performance problems and lack of addons. In fact the only thing fs9 has that fsx doesn't in my opinion apart from smoother play on my rig is darker aircraft shadows on the ground ! Many good aircraft can be ported over in DX9 and have better frame rates than some pure FSX aircraft that I have tried.

jmig
February 23rd, 2009, 06:03
I think is MS is clever enough, they will keep putting them on the shelves. I would imagine the support would be a problem eventually! :kilroy:
And if activating becomes a problem. Alternative measures will be found to keep on flying.
I hope they will release a last Patch/Service pack when they finially decide not to support it anymore, that will do away with that (Activations).
Or maybe I'll become Pregnant. :173go1:

:costumes:

Bone
February 23rd, 2009, 06:55
FSX is and was " Locked Down " , FS Next is Next. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I'm not an FS Insider, FS Artist, FS Developer, or talented wannabe. I'm just a guy who loves to fly, so therefore, could you define "Locked Down" , and elaborate a little on "FS Next" ? If you don't mind, that is.

I could guess and speculate on what you mean, but I would most likely miss the Big Picture.

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
February 23rd, 2009, 07:09
" Locked Down " means no changes expected , Phil Taylor updated us recently with this link that has the latest printed info

http://www.futuregpu.org/2009/02/end-of-era-part-iii-more-updates.html

Bjoern
February 23rd, 2009, 07:36
I believe this will actually allow everybodies rigs to catch up, and the developers time to just go nuts with creativity as this now may just go on forever.....

Just about what I wanted to say.

"Gentlemen, start your gmax!" :d

Bone
February 23rd, 2009, 07:47
" Locked Down " means no changes expected , Phil Taylor updated us recently with this link that has the latest printed info

http://www.futuregpu.org/2009/02/end-of-era-part-iii-more-updates.html

GT182
February 23rd, 2009, 07:51
But don't forget what Phil Taylor said in his blog.....
"With that said, the resolution of where FS is going in the future is not clear yet and will only play out over time. Until MGS actually states what the parameters of this new "flying game" are, it is impossible to tell how different from the deep simulation known as the FS series "the new thing" will be.

It could be great, so lets remember that. Plus, given FSX clearly has years of life in it, there is no need to see this as a 'chicken little' event yet. In that vein, I do think its fair that the community should give the new team, given it is going to be largely ex-Aces, a chance before weighing in with a judgment. I know these people and they truly care about the product and the community and will be committed to doing a great job."

It's not completely over so far. Looks bad and the end isn't quite the same. Something is coming and we have to have the patience to see what it is.... and not jump to dismal conclusions just yet.