PDA

View Full Version : FFB2 USB Software XP won't Load

84cb750sc
February 21st, 2009, 11:57
Good Day,
I have had CFS software for years on several different computers. This newest XP Media Edition will accept the Joystick but the Joystick software stalls out on Step 1. The compatibility wizard got me to the stage to correctly load CFS, with the exception of the Disc in Drive to run the game, but no Joy on the Stick software. I have chased numerous sites for details, all in vain. Any secrets to this short of Dual Boot?
Thanks in advance,
Dale M.

Limy
February 22nd, 2009, 06:03
Hi,
I've loaded 2 joysticks (saitek & MS Sidewinder )with XP Media Centre Edition, 2002, SP3.
No problems.
Limy

safn1949
February 22nd, 2009, 06:50
I had to look to make sure but I never loaded the software,I just let the game recognize the joystick. Give that a try and see if the stick will work.I used microsoft sidewinder sticks for years,I like them but they are a real pain,very buggy.Get a logitech,it will work much better for you.:friday:

Johnny
February 22nd, 2009, 21:28
~S~ Limy,

Nice to see you, we have all missed you at the AAC. We are all sorry for your loss. If you need anything, shoot me an e-mail,

Johnny:engel016:

Buddha13
March 8th, 2009, 07:19
Hi all,
After 12 months of not having CFS1 on my machines with Vista due to the Joystick problem. I came across my old backup DVD.Just copied the dvd back over and started CFS1.It asked me if I wanted to alter my joystick.I said no and it now works fine.

Buddha13

smilo
March 8th, 2009, 14:02
Hi all,
After 12 months of not having CFS1 on my machines with Vista due to the Joystick problem. I came across my old backup DVD.Just copied the dvd back over and started CFS1.It asked me if I wanted to alter my joystick.I said no and it now works fine.

Buddha13

glad to hear it.
now all you have to do is come fly with us on Sunday's.
we presently have 3 pilots from the UK, 1 from
Sweden and a couple/3 Canadians flying with us Yanks.
all in all, 14 pilots today, trying to bust those Rhur Dams.

safn1949
March 9th, 2009, 16:57
And of course I went and tried cfs1 and the joystick wont work,I have vista,the latest vista driver for the Logitech,in settings it sees the stick but it doesn't work when I try to fly.....I kinda wanted to go dambusting.:help:

Johnny
March 10th, 2009, 15:21
~S~ All,

With Vista you have to manually assign your joystick buttons etc.. and never believe the notice that your joystick has changed. Vista lies.

j:friday::ernae:

safn1949
March 13th, 2009, 17:26
~S~ All,

With Vista you have to manually assign your joystick buttons etc.. and never believe the notice that your joystick has changed. Vista lies.

Here's the problem,when I go to assign my joystick there's nothing there.It shows during configuration ok but there is only the keyboard and mouse shown in the assignment window.I would really like to be able to fly this game again so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

hubbabubba
March 13th, 2009, 19:49
Hullo:wavey: safn1949

I'm not sure that I can fix your problem, as I am still under W98SE, but I would like to give it a shake.

First, I want you to get in your CFS1 folder and to open your COMBATFS.CFG file with a plain TXT program. Then, I want you to copy n' paste everything you will find under the section entitled
[Controls], title included, on this thread, like this;

[Controls]
LastJoystickName=Logitech Force 3D Pro USB
force_master_gain=10000
force_master_enabled=0
force_stick_force_enabled=1
force_stick_shaker_enabled=1
force_gear_bump_enabled=1
force_crash_enabled=1
force_ground_bumps_enabled=1
force_machinegun_enabled=1
force_bulletdamage_enabled=1
force_rocket_enabled=1
force_bomb_enabled=1
force_flak_enabled=5130
PAN_RATE=400

This is mine. Now, show me yours.:jump:

Then, will go next step...:kilroy:

safn1949
March 14th, 2009, 04:46
[Controls]
LastJoystickName= 
force_master_gain=10000
force_master_enabled=1
force_crash_enabled=1
force_rocket_enabled=1
force_bomb_enabled=1
force_flak_enabled=1
PAN_RATE=400

here it is

safn1949
March 14th, 2009, 04:55
I went ahead and did a clean install,this is the cfg from it.

[Controls]
LastJoystickName=ø
force_master_gain=10000
force_master_enabled=1
force_crash_enabled=1
force_rocket_enabled=1
force_bomb_enabled=1
force_flak_enabled=1
PAN_RATE=400

hubbabubba
March 14th, 2009, 14:00
My wife graciously gave me permission to dabble in her Vista laptop, which is no small feat:faint:...

This is the section I get;

[CONTROLS]
force_master_gain=10000
force_master_enabled=1
force_crash_enabled=1
force_rocket_enabled=1
force_bomb_enabled=1
force_flak_enabled=5130
PAN_RATE=400
LastJoystickName=4˜Äwøò 

First of all, only the "LastJoystickName=" entry seems to cause problem, so let's concentrate on that one.

When my wife let me get close again to her cherished laptop, I will attempt some new experiments. What I found interesting though is that; 1) you can see your joystick in the SETTINGS > Game Controllers section;
2) you can assigned functions to your stick under SETTINGS > Customize Controls section. This way, I was able to get my guns firing with my stick trigger. Unfortunately, there's no way to assign stick movements.

I tried the compatibility trick, but no joy.

You would think that M$ being the owner of CFS1 and Vista, they would have found a solution and posted it in their "knowledge base" by now...:kilroy:.

I guess there's not enough profit in doing so...

One final observation for now; it looks like Vista is treating USB connexions differently than W98SE. I was not asked to install drivers when I plugged my stick in it and the mention "USB" does not appear after "Logitech Force 3D Pro" in the window. Strange...:typing:... let's see...

safn1949
March 14th, 2009, 17:50
I went into the compatability wizard and set the program back to 98/ME and ran it,it is rewriting the cfg file.
[Controls]
LastJoystickName=T
force_master_gain=10000
force_master_enabled=1
force_crash_enabled=1
force_rocket_enabled=1
force_bomb_enabled=1
force_flak_enabled=5130
PAN_RATE=400

and you will notice that the setting in red has changed and force feedback is enabled,however the stick is not a forcefeedback stick.

safn1949
March 14th, 2009, 17:55
[Controls]
LastJoystickName=ø
force_master_gain=10000
force_master_enabled=1
force_crash_enabled=1
force_rocket_enabled=1
force_bomb_enabled=1
force_flak_enabled=1
PAN_RATE=400

This is the vista cfg,I moved it down for comparison.Ok,it only rewrites if you try to apply any compatability settings,like XP of 98,see below

[Controls]
LastJoystickName=p0kLï
force_master_gain=10000
force_master_enabled=1
force_crash_enabled=1
force_rocket_enabled=1
force_bomb_enabled=1
force_flak_enabled=5130
PAN_RATE=400

hubbabubba
March 14th, 2009, 21:01
Don't bother too much about "force something" entries, as they only apply to force-feedback sticks like mine. The evil lies in "LastJoystickName" entry:angryfir:.

It constantly changes and, I think, it is the source from wich COMBATFS.exe takes its info.

safn1949
March 14th, 2009, 21:19
I tried a bunch of times to get it to change and it seems like it will only change when you change compatibility settings.I even said yes when it asked me if I wanted to change my settings in the game and the cfg file stayed the same for me.Thru all of this the stick never showed up in the customize control window.It's very strange,the stick also doesn't show up under game controllers in control panel, device manager,sound,video and game controllers.I guess that's just Vista.Perhaps we could make the cfg file read only if we can get the stick to work,I don't know.I would guess the game writes to the cfg file when you do different things in the game so read only wouldn't work.

hubbabubba
March 14th, 2009, 23:49
Perhaps we could make the cfg file read only if we can get the stick to work,

This is exactly the experiment I had in mind.

Result= :faint:

The game was asking me to change the game controller, that was correctly spelled for once, but was still unable to recognize it in game.

I'm giving up...:isadizzy:

One thing is certain; I will not buy a Vista system when times come. What a piece of :censored:!!!

Johnny, your turn:argue:

safn1949
March 15th, 2009, 04:59
Honestly this is the only problem with Vista I have had,thanks for your help,if we can get this solved a lot of people will get happy.:friday:

IndianaHarvey
March 16th, 2009, 00:59
What about CFS 2 or 3, does Vista recognize the joystick? Seems like CFS 1 and Vista just doesn't work, at least not for me.

safn1949
March 16th, 2009, 06:28
Works fine in cfs2 and 3 and IL46,it's just cfs1

safn1949
March 18th, 2009, 16:13
Johnny,I didn't understand your post so I went looking and yahoo,you do have to manually enter every joystick assignment.The hard ones are the view assignments,but it works!

smilo
March 20th, 2009, 06:40
if I am reading this right, the problem has been solved. yes?
if so, may I ask that you take the time to write a step by step in the simplest of terms so that others will be able to follow.

well done!!! :woot:

safn1949
March 20th, 2009, 17:17
The trick is go to settings,customize controls,assignments.
You have to enter all of your rudder axis',throttle axis,elevator axis,views,etc manually.
You have to click on device and assign for each one and hit the button on your joystick that you want to assign for each one.
Elevator up...hit assign and pull the stick back to set it and so on.
It will not set anything by itself and when you have it set the way you want,and you are exiting out,it will say the stick has changed and do you want to reset,SAY NO or you will have to do it all over again.
It will ask that a lot,just say no and ignore it.

Any questions feel free to email me or ask me here.A big thanks to all who tried to get this going.:friday:

Deadmeat1971
March 20th, 2009, 20:24
I've just gotten done figured this out for my new gamepad anyway. Although, I can't take the full credit for this trick. Someone from here did had an old post about taking the original configuration from an XP installed and placed under the Vista installed to make it work.

My goal was to insure for someone, who hasn't have XP or 98SE to begin with, can still enable the necessary function under Vista.. So here it goes:

Important: This was applied for a dual gamepad like a Playstation 2 or XBox style controller. In this case, I was using a GGE909 PC Recoil Pad manufactured by Philips.

If you haven't yet, run Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator once in order to initialize its configuration file with the USB Dual Gamepad attached to the computer. Enter 'Free Flight' and select 'Fly Now' for a moment. Once you see the cockpit, you can now exit Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator.

Browse under you main Combat Flight Simulator (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator\) to search for COMBATFS (configuration file).

Open this configuration file referred as COMBATFS.cfg and scroll down until you reach this:

[Controls]

If it's there under [Controls], delete all the unusual name or symbols after the 'LastJoystickName=', including the LastJoystickName= as well.

Next, scroll down until you reach the following entries below:

[JOYSTICK_00]
LOCKED=0
TYPE=0
AXIS_FLAGS=0
[JOYSTICK_SLEW_00]
LOCKED=0
TYPE=0
AXIS_FLAGS=0

Replace the above entries with these entries below (by copy-and-paste):

[JOYSTICK_00]
LOCKED=0
TYPE=0
AXIS_FLAGS=15
AXIS_EVENT_00=AXIS_AILERONS_SET
AXIS_SCALE_00=64
AXIS_NULL_00=36
AXIS_EVENT_01=AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET
AXIS_SCALE_01=64
AXIS_NULL_01=36
AXIS_EVENT_02=AXIS_THROTTLE_SET
AXIS_SCALE_02=127
AXIS_NULL_02=1
AXIS_EVENT_03=AXIS_RUDDER_SET
AXIS_SCALE_03=64
AXIS_NULL_03=36
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_00=FLAPS_INCR
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_01=FLAPS_DECR
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_02=FIRE_ROCKET
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_03=FIRE_ALL_GUNS
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_03=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_04=DROP_BOMB
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_06=VIEW_MODE
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_07=SELECT_NEXT_TARGET
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_08=NUMPAD7
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_09=NUMPAD1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_32=VIEW_FORWARD_UP/PAN_UP
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_32=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_33=VIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT/PAN_UP_RIGHT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_33=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_34=VIEW_RIGHT/PAN_RIGHT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_34=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_35=VIEW_REAR_RIGHT/PAN_DOWN_RIGHT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_35=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_36=VIEW_REAR/PAN_DOWN
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_36=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_37=VIEW_REAR_LEFT/PAN_DOWN_LEFT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_37=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_38=VIEW_LEFT/PAN_LEFT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_38=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_39=VIEW_FORWARD_LEFT/PAN_UP_LEFT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_39=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_40=VIEW_RESET
[JOYSTICK_SLEW_00]
LOCKED=0
TYPE=0
AXIS_FLAGS=11
AXIS_EVENT_00=AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET
AXIS_SCALE_00=64
AXIS_NULL_00=36
AXIS_EVENT_01=AXIS_SLEW_AHEAD_SET
AXIS_SCALE_01=64
AXIS_NULL_01=36
AXIS_EVENT_03=AXIS_SLEW_HEADING_SET
AXIS_SCALE_03=64
AXIS_NULL_03=36
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_00=SLEW_RESET
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_01=PAN_RESET
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_02=SLEW_ALTIT_PLUS
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_03=SLEW_ALTIT_MINUS
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_04=SLEW_PITCH_PLUS
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_05=SLEW_PITCH_MINUS
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_06=SLEW_BANK_MINUS
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_07=SLEW_BANK_PLUS
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_32=VIEW_FORWARD_UP/PAN_UP
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_32=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_33=VIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT/PAN_UP_RIGHT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_33=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_34=VIEW_RIGHT/PAN_RIGHT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_34=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_35=VIEW_REAR_RIGHT/PAN_DOWN_RIGHT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_35=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_36=VIEW_REAR/PAN_DOWN
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_36=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_37=VIEW_REAR_LEFT/PAN_DOWN_LEFT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_37=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_38=VIEW_LEFT/PAN_LEFT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_38=1
BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_39=VIEW_FORWARD_LEFT/PAN_UP_LEFT
BUTTON_DOWN_REPEAT_39=1

That's it for now. Save it. Your gamepad should work (the important parts are the AXIS are enabled). You can change the BUTTON settings or delete the ones you don't have if necessary in the game itself. My advice to you is click 'No' everytime the game ask you 'Would you like reset the control assignments?' everytime it detect the joystick again under 'Settings'.

Deadmeat1971
March 21st, 2009, 06:52
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=5687

The idea came from this gentleman, jbtate. He says to take a previously installed Windows 98 combatfs.cfg and replaced it under the new Vista installed.

This clue has given me the means to look at the two configurations (compare the two). Thanks, jbtate!!!

I'm going to make a separate thread for this. This need to have a sticky so more people can find this...

smilo
March 21st, 2009, 11:52
it has been stuck...good idea.

safn1949
March 21st, 2009, 17:19
I tried that and it didn't work for me.

Deadmeat1971
March 21st, 2009, 18:40
I tried that and it didn't work for me.

Try what? The XP or 98 configuration copy or the instruction above?

Have you try this (only the AXIS functions)?

[JOYSTICK_00]
LOCKED=0
TYPE=0
AXIS_FLAGS=15
AXIS_EVENT_00=AXIS_AILERONS_SET
AXIS_SCALE_00=64
AXIS_NULL_00=36
AXIS_EVENT_01=AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET
AXIS_SCALE_01=64
AXIS_NULL_01=36
AXIS_SCALE_02=127
AXIS_NULL_02=1
AXIS_EVENT_03=AXIS_RUDDER_SET
AXIS_SCALE_03=64
AXIS_NULL_03=36
[JOYSTICK_SLEW_00]
LOCKED=0
TYPE=0
AXIS_FLAGS=11
AXIS_EVENT_00=AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET
AXIS_SCALE_00=64
AXIS_NULL_00=36
AXIS_EVENT_01=AXIS_SLEW_AHEAD_SET
AXIS_SCALE_01=64
AXIS_NULL_01=36
AXIS_EVENT_03=AXIS_SLEW_HEADING_SET
AXIS_SCALE_03=64
AXIS_NULL_03=36

You can still assign for the buttons under 'Settings'. Just DON'T click 'yes' to reset the assignment when ask.

Remember, this apply to a gamepad that has dual analog sticks.. I have to press 'analog' on my gamepad to make the sticks work..

safn1949
March 22nd, 2009, 19:00
I tried the xp cfg file and it didn't work,it will be 3 weeks before I am back home to try your idea,but I will and I will post here to tell you if it worked,thanks for the help.:friday:

ken
May 15th, 2009, 06:36
hi guys, does anyone know how to add force feedback to a joystick that does not have force feedback? If anyone knows, please post. Because i have a Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless Joystick.

-Kenneth

smilo
May 15th, 2009, 07:16
I don't know about the particulars of your stick, but if force feedback is not included, then you are SOL. it is a mechanical feature that can not be added.

BTW, I see that you have double posted. I have delete one?

ken
May 16th, 2009, 19:52
i'm sorry smilo,:isadizzy: if i edit the cfg file like the rest of the others , it could damage my system

smilo
May 16th, 2009, 20:03
I don't see how editing the COMBATFS.CFG could damage your system, but I don't know diddly about Vista,
except that it causes a lot of problems with CFSers.

Stephen304
February 22nd, 2010, 19:18
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about to use my crappy computer to play! Thank god for google!

I have a Sidewinder FF2 and windows 7. I did what someone said and copied only the axis, then set the other buttons manually. Works perfect (amlost) now. Only thing that doesn't work is force feedback :D

P.S. CFS WWII is better than x-plane 9 :D. X-plane lacks multiplayer and battle, though it was meant to be real and stuff, battles and multiplayer would make it da-bomb!

Killer Svend
March 25th, 2010, 08:18
Hello all friends, so you think that you have problems, just wait until you got Windows 7, I still have the original CD,but it is on its way to the wast bin, I am a fighter pilot and not a computer freak, is somebody able to tellme what to do,(hopefully in a language,even I will be able to understand)
Best Regards
Killer svend

Stephen304
March 25th, 2010, 11:31
Thats what my last post was about, incase you didn't survive through all the thank you's.

I got win. 7, i just installed normal and it ran fine, but i used some method above to get my SFF2 to work properly.

Killer Svend
March 24th, 2011, 07:55
Hi Gents
Two years has past since the subject,re joysticks and Windows 7/Vista and CFS was up. so I am wondering if somebody reached a conclusion, when reading the threads here,I am getting more and more puzzeled. I.E. reading something like manual setting the joystick, when I press Settings/assignment, I find the keyboard and the mouse but no joystick. How in H... can I assign something who does not excist. If somebody can tell me what to do , please go step by step concidering that an old fool, who does know very little about interfearing in programs, is behind,then please help me.The last 2 years, I have flown CFS2 and 3 + IL2. but stubborn as I am, I hate not to be able to fly the old stuff.
Killer Svend

smilo
March 25th, 2011, 06:44
okay, Svend, let's start from scratch.
what Operating System are you using?
xp, vista or windows 7
next, what is the make and model of your joystick?
is it USB?
from your post, it is obvious
that your OS recognizes your stick,
because you can use it in the other games.
is CFS installed and does it load when you click on the icon?
do you know how to get into the COMBATFS.cfg?

i have to warn you,
i run on xp and know nothing about vista and windows 7,
but i will try to help.
reading Stephen304's post,
he was able to get his stick to work,
so we will just walk through his procedure.

looking at the dates of your posts,
if nothing else,
age has taught us to be patient.

Killer Svend
March 28th, 2011, 07:09
Hi Smilo
My OS is windows 7/64, my sick is Logitech Force 3D USB
br.
Killer Svend:salute:

Killer Svend
March 29th, 2011, 01:19
Hi Smilo
Forgot to tell, cfs is installed and open when click the icon. I can start a campaign and I could fly it if I just whant to use the keyboard/mouse. I know how to handle the cfs cfg. I have changed it god know how many times but still in vane.
Killer Svend:salute:

smilo
March 29th, 2011, 16:03
okay, when you are in game
and go to SETTINGS, Game controllers,
is your stick on the Controller list?

No Dice
March 30th, 2011, 05:23
My 2 cents worth, Have you gone to the logitech.com and downloaded the latest software for windows7 64 bit ?
I did that with my wifes Extreme 3d pro on windows 7 and it solved all of my headaches

Dave

Killer Svend
March 30th, 2011, 05:37
Gents:salute:
When opening settings/asignments, there is no stick on the list, when go to adjust game controllers the stick is there and things are funktioning except the trottle, it shows 0 trottle when I set the stick to 100 pc. trottle and vice versa. I will give Logitec a try.
Killer Svend

smilo
April 2nd, 2011, 08:45
Gents:salute:
When opening settings/asignments, there is no stick on the list, when go to adjust game controllers the stick is there and things are funktioning except the trottle, it shows 0 trottle when I set the stick to 100 pc. trottle and vice versa. I will give Logitec a try.
Killer Svend
okay,Svend,
i am sorry if i seem stupid,
but, this is where we need to be very clear.
i do not have a settings/asignments button,
or an adjust game controllers button.
here is a screen shot of my Settings window;
make sure the Enable joystick box is checked.
note the yellow highlighted Game controllers button,
when it is clicked, the Game controllers window should open
with a list of the Controllers installed on your machine;
click on the Advanced button.
click on your controller name and then OK.

there is an attachment limit,
so i will continue in the next post.

smilo
April 2nd, 2011, 09:06
okay, next step,
click on the Properties window;

check that all of your Buttons, Axis and POV function properly.

is this the place where your throttle did not work?
i will wait for your reply
before i go any farther.

----------:kilroy:--------\
well, that's weird.
in the last post,
i could place the attachments
where i wanted them.
this post, i can't.
oh well, so it goes.

Killer Svend
April 3rd, 2011, 02:42
Hi Smiley
Thanks for your efforts, I tried to make a fresh installation of cfs, but reaching 72% load it stopped,when excamined the cd-r I saw a severe scratch in it and I considered it for gone for ever.
I ordered a new one from Amazon.UK, so until it arrives I can't do very much, I will certainly be back when I have made a new installation
b.r.Killer Svend:salute:

smilo
April 3rd, 2011, 06:56
hello KS,
sorry to hear about the scratch.
fortunately, CFS is still available.
i'll be around when you get the new one.
see you soon.

in the mean time,
did you try the steps i posted above?
i believe the Game controllers window in game
is a direct link to the Game controllers window
in your computer's control panel,
so you don't need the game
to check and calibrate your stick.
at least it is in XP

Killer Svend
April 4th, 2011, 23:25
hello Smilo
Thanks again, quite funny, when opening the stick window , I can calibrate and assign everything, no problem. On the other hand, on my old computer I had xp as OS, and there was absolute no problems at all, everything was functioning perfect. The ultimate solution was off course to fire-up the old machine again, but I do not like that cfs and windows 7 should not be able to run together,
I will be back again as soon that I have the new cd-r.
Killer Svend

Killer Svend
April 9th, 2011, 07:16
Hi Smilo:salute:
I got my new cd-r, it did not solved the problems, not that I expect either, but I do as follows.
1.open the game
2. open settings
3. check that enable joystick is ok
4.open game controlers and I got a dialog box saying: Your joystick device changed from (hieroglyphs) would you like to reset the controle assignments (recommended) I think that this pure rubbish, but no matter if I answer yes or no , my game contoller window show the right stick
and I pres advanced and ok. and here we are.

Basisically I think that the problem is in the cfs/cfg file.
Killer Svend

smilo
April 15th, 2011, 09:06
hello Svend,
sorry, i've been away for a few days.
glad to hear that you got the CD
and the game is up and running
and that the stick shows.
now, all we need to do is make it work.

from what i've read,
it is important to say NO when asked
if you want to change assignments.
no problem, we can fix that.

i believe you are correct,
the problem is in the COMBATFS.CFG file.
looking at the other posts,
a solution has been found.
we just need to make it work for you.

if it is okay with you,
i would like to meet here at a specific time,
so we can work this out in real time
without the delays.
friday, saturday and sunday are best for me.
what time, GMT, works best for you?

what i am trying to do here is
first, help you get your stick to work
and second, document the process
so others can use it.
that's why i am going through each step in basic order.

Killer Svend
April 16th, 2011, 07:00
Hello Smilo:salute:
As pensionist,I am available day and night, as you are -8 and I am +1 GMT we are 9 hours in between, my weekdays are allways the same, some times I do not know what day it is but between 9 AM and 9PM is ok with me, On the other hand I am not that in a hurry I have my hands full with cfs2 and 3 +IL2 . We can also use E-mail if it is ok with you, my mail is brinkse@mail.tele.dk.
Regarding the game, I open free flight and use keyboard to start and make the plane rolling along the runway and force feed back is working!!. but maneuvering,using weapons and "top hat" does'nt work. An other funny thing is when trying to calibrate the stick, the thottle works opposite when I set the stick to 100% trottle the calibrate window shows 0% trottle and vice-versa.
Thaks once again and let's se what we can do.

smilo
April 16th, 2011, 09:43
okay, Svend
i will be away this afternoon,
but will try to look in when i get home this evening,
then sunday morning around 06:00 PDT/12:00 GMT
i am -7 GMT...i forgot to change mysettings for daylight savings.

for now, would you make a copy of the COMBATFS.CFG,
rename it to COMBATFS.txt and attach it here.
if that doesn't work, just copy and paste it as a post.

just for fun, start up CFS
go to SETTINGS>Customize controls...
there should be a Control sensitivities-Normal window
is your stick listed in the Control device window
along with Keyboard and Mouse?
if so, what is the stick name, exactly?
(i need this for later)
click on your stick name
in the Axis window,
click on the down arrow
and select Throttle axis
below the Sensitivity slider is a Reverse axis box, click it
then click OK and OK again.
go for a Free Flight and see if your throttle works properly.

here's a shot of what i'm talking about;

Killer Svend
April 17th, 2011, 05:11
Hi Smilo
I open customize controls in left column only keyboard an mouse appear, no stick.
I open assingnments and the action column is not highlighted.
My stick name is:Logitec Force 3D PRO USB.
Once again I tried to attatch the CFG file but in vane,got the message invalid file.I am definitely doing something wrong but what? I am certainly not very good with a computer.

smilo
April 17th, 2011, 06:24
don't worry about being
not very good with a computer.
it's about patience,
finding the problem,
and then solving it.

the reason you can't attach your .cfg file
is because .cfg files are not on the soh list of
Valid file extensions: 7z bmp doc exe gif jpe jpeg jpg kmz pdf png psd rar txt zip
we can work around that.
open your COMBATFS.CFG file with Notepad
key CTRL+F and type controls in the Find window
click the find next button twice
scroll down and you should see CONTROLS highlighted
close the Find window
copy everything from [CONTROLS] to the bottom of the page
and paste it in a post here.

kind of like this;

[CONTROLS]
force_master_gain=10000
force_master_enabled=0
force_stick_shaker_enabled=0
force_crash_enabled=0
force_ground_bumps_enabled=0
force_machinegun_enabled=0
force_bulletdamage_enabled=0
force_rocket_enabled=0
force_bomb_enabled=0
force_flak_enabled=5130
PAN_RATE=400
LastJoystickName=FireStorm Dual Analog 2

and so on to the end of the page.

smilo
April 17th, 2011, 13:55
hello Svend,
something here is bothering me;

in your post #50, you said,
3. check that enable joystick is ok
4.open game controlers and I got a dialog box saying: Your joystick device changed from (hieroglyphs) would you like to reset the controle assignments (recommended) I think that this pure rubbish, but no matter if I answer yes or no , my game contoller window show the right stick

in post #54, you said,
I open customize controls in left column only keyboard an mouse appear, no stick.
I open assingnments and the action column is not highlighted.

at the risk of sounding stupid,
i need to ask if in post #50,
you said that your stick showed
and in post #54, it does not,
correct?

Killer Svend
April 19th, 2011, 06:30
Hello Smilo
No, you are not stupid, I might not be able to express myself clearly enough
When open settings we have 2 windows 1: Game controllers and 2. customize controllers.

I open Game controllers and the stick is there with the correct name.
I open customize controls and the stick is not there (only keyboard and mouse).

Under game controllers I can check if all the stick functions are ok and after this I can click ok God knows how many times Ilike the result is all the same no stick available under customize controllers.

My old machine used Window$ XP and CFS was running perfect. Despite my high age, I am not very patient person anyway not re. computers.
BR Svend

smilo
April 19th, 2011, 14:23
okay Svend, we know that your machine
can recognize your stick.
it's the game!!!

i refer you back to post #55.
i would really like to see
your COMBATFS.CFG
from [CONTROLS] on to the end.

believe me, i understand the frustration,
but try to think of it this way;
if we can figure this out
and document the solution,
many others will benefit.

hang tough, my friend,
we're almost there.

Killer Svend
April 23rd, 2011, 02:40
Hello Smilo:jump::applause:
I AM FLYING, believe it or not but I am flying, I have many times tried to rewrite the cfg file, most of the times the result was a crash to desktop, but I tried to rewrite the cfg file accordingly the thread from" dead meat 1971" dated the March 22nd. 2009. In first instance only the AXIS_EVENT, scale and null. I opened the game/ settings/customize controls and device was still not in left column but when scrolled down the axis showed up under device column,without I did some manual assignments !!!. Ok, I went on and put in also BUTTON_DOWN from the above mentioned thread. copyed and pasted it to game and ow suddenly I could manually assign the joystick buttons, and everything is function perfectly EXCACT the trottle, why? The stick still not appear in the customize controle window but the stick is functioning it is the main thing. In the above mentioned thread it was mentioned to delete LastJoystickName, I did not, but renamed it to "0".
I do,nt know if somebody could be as lucky as I am, but hopefully.
Happy onward Easter.
Killer Svend

smilo
April 23rd, 2011, 07:48
hello Svend,
GREAT NEWS!!!
i am very pleased that your finally got it to work.
i wanted you to post your COMBATFS.CFG
so i could see what the LastJoystickName= was.

does your throttle axis work?
just in reverse?
i have an idea to fix it.

i see you are here now.

smilo
April 23rd, 2011, 07:58
try this to reverse your throttle;
open the COMBATFS.CFG,
got to
[JOYSTICK_00]
AXIS_SCALE_02=-64

i don't know if yours is the same,
but the trick is to put a - (minus)
in front of the AXIS_SCALE number for the AXIS_THROTTLE_SET

don't forget to save the changes to the COMBATFS.CFG

but DO NOT say "yes" every time the game asks you
'Would you like reset the control assignments?'

---------------

btw, i do not see a
thread from "dead meat 1971" dated the March 22nd. 2009.
do you mean post #29 from March 21, 2009?

Killer Svend
April 26th, 2011, 03:55
Smilo:applause:
Now the throttle is also operating , I simply forgot to mannual assign the throttle axis i the "customize controles", mainly because the aileron,elevator and rudder axis installed themselves without dooing anything manually.
If I believed in witchcraft (I do'nt) I would think that cfs was bewiched. I am almost sure that what I have done,would not be of very much help to others with the same problems as I have had. but lets start from scratch.
After installation CFS opened free flight and realized that my stick could do nothing except the force feed-back was operating( Logitech Force 3D PRO USB) my OS is WINDOW$ 7/ 64 bit. I opened the CFG file with notepad and found the following after scrolling down to (CONTROLS)
LastJoystickName=unreadable letters
Scrolled down to
(JOYSTICK_00)
LOCKED=0
TYPE=0
AXIS_FLAGS=0
After this I sow nothing re. AXIS_EVENT and BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT but here came:
(JOYSTICK_SLEWE_00)
LOCKED=0
TYPE=0
AXIS_FLAGS_0
After this came
(FACILITIES) and this was the end of the file

I sow the thread # 25 dated march 21st. 2009 uploaded by deadmeat 1971 And I followed the instructin given I simply rewrote the file accordingly, slavework but when I pasted it back to the game, things happened.
A lot of things should obviously have been different . For instant,under customize controle there is no sign of any stick but it is possible to mannually assign the different buttons and the throttle, the ailerons,elevator and rudder AXIS installed themselves without my help. To make a long story short, My game is operating perfectly. and therefore I send my best greatings and thank you very much , witout your help and kindness; I would be out in the deep sh..
Special thanks to
SMILO
DEAD MEAT 1971
+ All the others in SOH
Killer Svend

smilo
April 28th, 2011, 16:42
thanks Svend, i am glad that it is working for you,
although, i don't see how i can take any credit.
you did all the work...

i may be mistaken,
but it seems to me that the problem arises
from the game calling a joystick that doesn't exist.
this is done in the LastJoystickName=unreadable letters entry.

i am curious what would happen
if the stick name listed in Control Panel>Game Controllers
was copied into the LastJoystickName=

what ever you do,
DON'T TRY IT!!!
i wouldn't want you to loose what you have accomplished.

maybe, someday, i'll get windows7,
so i can run some experiments.

Killer Svend
April 29th, 2011, 07:41
Smilo:salute:
Yes you can certainly take credit for encourage me to continue the work and struggle to get things works. What I am affraid of,is that nobody can use my expierence, sad but it is irritating that Windows 7 and cfs does'nt work together without interferrence in the program itself.
In the thread of Dead Meat 1971 it ws firstly mentioned to remowe LastJoystickName= something and I did. After adding all the AXIS and BUTTON Down'S , I pasted it to CFS main directory. I opened the game shortly,closed it down and vent back to look how the cfg file was looking and now the LastJoystickName was back, but now as the last item under (controls) after PAN_RATE= 400 and now again after the= came something looking like something from the ancient Epyptian alphabet. As others has realised it is the LastJoystickName who is the problem. Still going in to customize contole, in the left column, there is no sign of device,only mouse and keyboard.But you can assign manually the device !! except those who assigned themselves !! (AXIS's) but not the throttle !!
When open game controllers, the stick is there with the the correct name and it can be calibrated, everyhing is ok except the thottle who is 180 degr. wrong and it can not be changed. When open the game my throttle handle is functioning perfect. My wife says Dinner is ready so I have to stop now.
Killer Svend

smilo
April 29th, 2011, 10:22
hmmm, what's for dinner?
it maybe mid-day here,
but that doesn't matter.
i'll bet that what you're having is better
than two pieces of cold pizza.

okay, i will accept that i encouraged you
to keep up with the project,
but like i said, you did all the work.
don't sell yourself short,
i think that others can learn
something from your experience.
if nothing else, you showed that it can be done
with a little perseverance.

Killer Svend
April 29th, 2011, 23:49
Ok, it was close to 6 pm lokal time when I wrote yesterday, and no, I did'nt had cold pizza bat something italian anyway, namely spaghetti with meatballs like in the italian cartoon film "The Lady and the Tramp" and I got a glass of Italian red wine with it (for my health).

dive bomber1
May 11th, 2017, 14:27
~S~ All,

i presently have windows seven home premium 64 bit with a force feed back wind man force 3d logitech work great with all flight sims but microsoft cfs1 and i cant use europeane air war it tells me that my controller has change its setting and i get all this jeberage scrible i select no it acknoledges my controller but have no control of it i hope i made it simple to understand Help! am frustrated whats up:dizzy:

smilo
May 11th, 2017, 19:20
greetings dive bomber 1
follow this link below to soh cfs1 add ons.
scroll down and download hubbabubba's W7 patch.
follow the instructions and your problem should be solved.
please, let us know the outcome.
good luck and good hunting.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=21