PDA

View Full Version : Two FSGenesis questions

datter
February 21st, 2009, 10:49
I am mightily considering trying FSGenesis. Yes mightily. As such, I have two questions for anyone using it.

I've heard talk of a lot of "plateau" problems in early versions of fsgenesis, where many airports are situated too high above the mesh and end up living on these odd plateaus. Is this the case with the current version or has this sort of thing been fixed?
On a system such as outlined in my sig, which is already running UTX, GEX and FEX will FSGenesis cause much of a frame rate hit? I tend to get frames in the 20 to 30's over places like San Francisco, and higher in more rural areas of course. (My mesh res is currently set to 19m and texture to 15cm if that matters at all. I realize the default mesh res is largely 38m, but I find I need to take it to 19m so I can get the higher res ground textures provided by GEX.)

Thanks,
datter

falcon409
February 21st, 2009, 10:58
Question #1. While FSGenesis claims that the Plateau issue has all but been done away with by their mesh, I haven't found that to be entirely true, I have almost the entire world in FSGenesis and I see plateau instances all the time as well as the 2 mile deep cavern rwys, so I don't see a lot of difference really..

Question #2. You shouldn't see any frame rate hits at all using their mesh.

FAC257
February 21st, 2009, 11:24
I'm running all the newest versions of FSG worldwide myself and like Falcon said there are still quite a few high ones and low ones.

During my last world tour I noticed that Africa in particular seemed to have the highest percentage of airports that are off, compared to almost everywhere else I flew.

It looks to me like this is an on going project with FSG. They are now working on the Version 2 series which is at least partially aimed at reducing the number of the airports with issues.

Even with it's occasional hiccups I could never go back to an FS without FSG.

harleyman
February 21st, 2009, 11:27
I have it ...It has issues that are slow to getting fixed as Justin was forced to get a job due to the economy...

That being said.......I won't fly without it...I do believe about all is V2 now which is the best out now....

datter
February 21st, 2009, 11:44
Sorry to hear about this plateau thing still ongoing. I'm only going on descriptions of this stuff, but it's I admit it's putting me off a bit. I'd like the finer detail terrain, but I can totally see me flying into the side of a "plateau cliff" on some otherwise flat desert runway and getting overly annoyed. ;)

You guys seem to be saying that the pluses outweigh the minuses though, so I'll have to keep considering.

spotlope
February 21st, 2009, 12:15
The problem he's up against is that the plateaus and craters are more pronounced with higher-res mesh. As I understand it, he's having to fix the worst offenders by hand, so it might take some time for all of them to be done. I could be wrong about that, though. Justin always welcomes feedback, so if you see an area that needs tweaking, let him know.

datter
February 21st, 2009, 12:20
The problem he's up against is that the plateaus and craters are more pronounced with higher-res mesh. As I understand it, he's having to fix the worst offenders by hand, so it might take some time for all of them to be done. I could be wrong about that, though. Justin always welcomes feedback, so if you see an area that needs tweaking, let him know.

That's one thing I really like about the FS community, very often you aren't buying addons from some big faceless corporation but rather from a real honest to God person.

Epsillon
February 21st, 2009, 13:12
...I do believe about all is V2 now which is the best out now....
Only United States (including Hawaii and Alaska) and Mexico are V2.
The rest of the world is still V1 and progress is now very slow ( Justin's job probably).
But even with plateau issues, this products are great!

Stephan