PDA

View Full Version : Updating B-2 cockpit gauges

Sundog
April 29th, 2019, 09:54
If anyone wants to update their B-2 cockpit gauges, here is the first in flight footage from the B-2 cockpit released to the public. (https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/04/29/heres-how-b-2-bomber-pilots-pull-off-grueling-33-hour-flights)

Victory103
April 29th, 2019, 19:28
Great shots if someone was just trying to get the basics down on avionics inside.

Sundog
April 30th, 2019, 09:09
What actually surprised me the most was the second flat panel interior "wind" screen coming straight off of the instrument panel cover.

awstub
April 30th, 2019, 23:07
Cool video. A couple of years ago I attended the 100th anniversary of the 13th Bomb Squadron (The Grim Reapers) at Whiteman AFB. During the visit, I got the chance to walk around and sit in a B-2 on the flight line, as well as fly one of their full-motion B-2 simulators.
The video almost makes the cockpit seem roomy.....but it is not. It's about as spacious as a Honda Odyssey with the back seats removed.....and half of the free space taken up by boxes and a camp toilet.

If anyone wants to update their B-2 cockpit gauges, here is the first in flight footage from the B-2 cockpit released to the public. (https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/04/29/heres-how-b-2-bomber-pilots-pull-off-grueling-33-hour-flights)

Bjoern
May 3rd, 2019, 11:00
A mix between a F-15E (MFDs), 737Max (center display) and a 767 (FMC).

COBS
May 4th, 2019, 02:08
As a guy who creates instruments for the sim it's great to see such clear vision of the glass displays in operation .
Often videos show poor quality glass displays that usually flicker , they are useless to do screen capture shots of , I tend to collect
screen capture shots and photos of instrument displays as a resource for ideas of data presentation and systems integration .

What I found interesting is between 2:30 and 2:36 minutes ,
* aircraft is in a Right turn at about 15 degrees bank
* notice the engine parameter MFD , specifically , N1 , and FF (Fuel Flow) , observe difference between Engine 1 and the other three engines
* it is obvious that the Fly By Wire computer is modulating the engines to support the turn
* FF (Fuel Flow) variations in that 6 second time frame are quite dramatic
****** I would have guessed that Eng 1 was to the Left of that shot , now as the aircraft is turning Right I would have assumed that it would have been Eng 4
that would have been throttled back instead of Eng 1 ..... struck me as strange ? ? ?

Another observation is that as a bomber a prerequisite is a stable platform , yet the video shows the pilot constantly jiggling the joystick , odd that .

I did a BNS (Bomb Nav System) instrument about a year ago , and during creation , testing , and calibration of it stability and accurate flying of
the aircraft were an absolute requirement .
I was able to enter the target to better than +/- 6 inches accuracy tolerances to eliminate errors there , of course small errors occur when using
dumb bombs that are dropped from heights ranging from 300' all the way up to 37,000' , still the CEP (Circle of Error Probability) was as good
or better than most if not all real world Bomb Nav Systems , it's the stable and accurate nose steering that eliminates lateral errors .

Loverly video , thanks for posting the link .

Cheers
Karol

EDIT
If any are interested the following is a link to a thread about the BNS instrument .
It is two pages long , initially it is just technical stuff , but as you scroll down there are a variety of screenshots ,
on the second page there are 3 screenshots of the final BNS instrument .
Click on screenshots to get enlarged view of shot .
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/k-variable-in-element-section-single-switching.441580/

scotth6
May 4th, 2019, 05:52
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I didn't think we would see this for a few more years. Hopefully someone takes this on board and comes up with something new, as this aircraft has definitely been lacking in flightsims.