PDA

View Full Version : Capt Sim F104

SSI01
April 6th, 2019, 11:43
I think I already can sense the answer to this one, however, I've got to ask.

Past experience has shown me the Capt Sim F-104 transfers readily over from FS9 to FSX with the exception of the instrument panel. Is there a suitable instrument panel for this aircraft available at this time?

I looked high and low in the past and couldn't find one.

Aircanuck
April 6th, 2019, 13:37
Best F104 out there ! I'm in if your successful ....

SSI01
April 6th, 2019, 15:26
Concur, which is why I want to complete this transfer.

SSI01
April 7th, 2019, 07:50
My searches around the web disclose one was made in 2006 for an F-104 in FSX, however, it's 13 years old and not come close to what came with this CS package.

SSI01
April 7th, 2019, 08:02
My searches around the web disclose one was made in 2006 for an F-104 in FSX, however, it's 13 years old and not close to what came with this CS package.

katonic
April 7th, 2019, 08:09
There was a pretty good thread sometime back about converting the CS 104 for FSX, including gauges here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/21068-old-CS-F-104-in-FSX
(http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/21068-old-CS-F-104-in-FSX)
I haven't tried it myself but have been very tempted to get the TF-104 back!

I had the CS 104 and the Cloud9 104 for FS9 but after moving to FSX I've found I preferred both of the Sim Skunk Works 104s I believe Sim Skunk Works is working on a TF-104 now as well.

SSI01
April 7th, 2019, 11:16
Thanks, katonic, let me take a look at that.

Priller
April 7th, 2019, 11:25
I had the CS 104 and the Cloud9 104 for FS9 but after moving to FSX I've found I preferred both of the Sim Skunk Works 104s I believe Sim Skunk Works is working on a TF-104 now as well.

I would rather die a horrible death than install anything made by SSW.

Priller

downwind
April 7th, 2019, 11:37

Priller

I would ditto that for Captain Sim products.

Aircanuck
April 7th, 2019, 15:40
... ditto + 2 for the Capt Sim web site

katonic
April 7th, 2019, 16:03

Priller

Fair enough! The purchase and installation process is a bit cumbersome to say the least. Having said that I have really enjoyed the 104s as well as the F-84 and the Harrier. They do require some manual reading so they aren't always my choice for a quick flight but I haven't regretted a minute of virtual cockpit time. Practicing simulated power out approaches in the F-104G is eye watering! I know some have had some difficulty with the SSW models but fortunately its been a smooth process for me.

Now, the Captain Sim Yak-3 I purchased some years back...:very_drunk:

Naismith
April 7th, 2019, 23:22
Comment just to track the thread just in case.... you know... :applause:

SSI01
April 8th, 2019, 17:17
Well, here's what's happened so far.

I've applied all the fixes as specified in this thread and I want to say the airplane functions beautifully in FSX with a couple of minor exceptions.

1-The fuel gauges - as stated in one of the earlier posts, the left gauge always reads zero, the right gauge always reads full. A fix for this was never posted by the man who did so much to assist us in this (hschuit), except to substitute another set of gauges for the original Capt Sim set. He stated it would be best to use XML gauges, BTW. They will function fine.

2- The cockpit canopy glass will go almost black once the sun goes below a certain point in the sky. This apparently has to do with an alpha channel in a file for the aircraft (F-104G-1_t.bmp). In his posts it was never specified what this file is, but he said the alpha channel in the file could be inverted and suggested DXTBMP be used for this purpose. I have tried using DXTBMP to open it but for some reason the utility will not open the file. I have tried to download the fixed file that is referenced in the write-up, however, my antivirus very specifically and ominously warned me this was a ransomware site and I should avoid it. It's quite possible since, apparently, the original site the link leads to is probably no longer in service or may have been bought by some sort of hacker.

He talks about "inverting" the alpha channel in the named file, which would be great if I could open the bloody thing to see what, specifically, it is.

He also speaks of using a file from the CaptSim master file in the basic FS2004 installation to make a sort of master "texture file" in the -104's folder so it's not necessary to repeat most files in the individual texture folders, but to use the "texture.cfg" process instead. Unfortunately, that file is included in the fix for the bad glass I referenced earlier. I've found one from another FSX aircraft, and hopefully that will work. I'll try it tomorrow.

So, there we have it - I'm about 90% of the way there but have been halted by a texture I can't open and a couple of fuel gauges I can move over from another bird. If you fly this thing in the daytime and disregard the fuel gauges it works just fine in FSX, the VC is functional to a degree as well and you still have the 2D cockpit as well.

Josh Patterson
April 8th, 2019, 18:30
There was a pretty good thread sometime back about converting the CS 104 for FSX, including gauges here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/21068-old-CS-F-104-in-FSX
(http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/21068-old-CS-F-104-in-FSX)
I haven't tried it myself but have been very tempted to get the TF-104 back!

I had the CS 104 and the Cloud9 104 for FS9 but after moving to FSX I've found I preferred both of the Sim Skunk Works 104s I believe Sim Skunk Works is working on a TF-104 now as well. I have the Captain Sim F-104 in FSX Gold and haven't seen any issues except with the TF-104. (Which is why I tried the package in the first place!) There is no panel for the front seat and it must be flown from the rear. (Landings take some practice as visibility ahead is restricted!) I have to manually adjust my eyepoint every time I get in to slide to the back seat. Once there the panel is fine as are the single seaters. I too am looking forward to the SSW TF-104!!

Josh Patterson
April 8th, 2019, 18:33

Priller Yes, tricky installation, but not as bad as before. They are getting better! They had me hooked with the Thunderstreak!

Ganter
April 9th, 2019, 00:50

Priller

Concur there.

I cringe when I think back to how much blood, sweat and tears I shed trying to get the SSW AV-8B not to lock up FSX after five minutes of flight all the time, every time.
"Letting the SSW Harrier go" is one of the best things I've done in simming. Learned a lot about FSX though so at least there was a takeaway.

Daube
April 9th, 2019, 03:38
Sim locking = plane not registered properly.
Solution: relaunch the aircraft install, trigger the email sending (one button), wait for a few days, receive the email with the activation file, activate the plane, and voila.
Not the simplest activation process, indeed... And sometimes activation expires for whatever reason, and you have to install and activate again.
Frustrating to say the least, but the planes are really excellent quality so it's worth the effort.
The F-104 is worth it just for the flight model and the sounds !

Ganter
April 9th, 2019, 10:03
Sim locking = plane not registered properly.
Solution: relaunch the aircraft install, trigger the email sending (one button), wait for a few days, receive the email with the activation file, activate the plane, and voila.
Not the simplest activation process, indeed... And sometimes activation expires for whatever reason, and you have to install and activate again.
Frustrating to say the least, but the planes are really excellent quality so it's worth the effort.
The F-104 is worth it just for the flight model and the sounds !

Believe me, I wish it had been that simple...

SSI01
April 9th, 2019, 17:03
Well, here's where we stand tonight -

That texture file that inverts the alpha channel in the canopy does a fine job for the 2D windscreen of the aircraft but has no affect whatsoever to the sides either in VC or 2D view. Still, if you can line yourself up with the runway using GPS and, if you're so inclined, an occasional quick external view, this shouldn't present any impediment at all, and it's very nice to be able to see out the front and be able to land.

I'm getting an "unsafe canopy" light even though I've cycled the canopy a few times on different flights. Another problem that can be chalked up to the differences between FS9 and FSX. Also the rear canopy on the TF-104s does not open, I had the identical problem in FS9 and never was able to get it fixed.

I've gotten the TF-104 to appear without any problems in the sim. Yes, you get the VC cockpit only in the rear, but by cycling through the "A" key on internal view, you are presented with a perfectly workable 2D front cockpit, so in that sense the aircraft is flyable from either seat - landable, too.

I still haven't been able to remedy the fuel gauge problem. There are plenty of XML fuel gauges in my "gauges" folder but I need a little coaching re: how to substitute one for the other. The issue is I can't find any fuel gauges in the Capt Sim gauges .cab file, nor in any other gauge file for the aircraft. There is one referenced in the panel .cfg file, under "VCockpit03," reading "gauge03=cs_f104!VC_Panel_Fuel." Can't locate that anywhere in the .cab, was it installed right into the main "gauges" folder by itself?

Otherwise, it's working fine.

nschley
April 10th, 2019, 12:31
I just installed the CS F-104 in FSX, but wondered a little about the different models.
Basically, there are 5 models for the F-104 and 3 models for the TF-104.
But, there are some duplicates e.g. like model.1 which corresponds to model.11 etc.
I suppose it is related to the "dynamic shine" feature, but as the TCE tool does not work could anybody confirm this?
Personally, I could not discover any difference in appearance.

Norbert

SSI01
April 11th, 2019, 03:58
I think it takes a finer eye than I have. I also have not noted any significant difference, if any, between for example model 1 and model 11.

I'm still concentrating on that fuel gauge issue.