PDA

View Full Version : proper aeronca cavas look

Thomas J Wood
April 6th, 2019, 10:33
Hello all.
So I was asked to work on the canvas look of the Aeronca. o I worked on it and H ave a new swatch layer that can be applied to the Aeronca to emulate the canvas look. At some fly ins I take my Beaver too I go and look at the Aeroncas that are there, some times they are so heavy with shiny paint its ridiculous. but some are just old beat up "real" Aeroncas. SO ....in this edition we are going back to the late 1940's Aeronca and releasing it as it was in stock form. With the exception of the trike model and the float, they will have fancy interiors and the 100 hp engin on them to combat the drag nose heavy characteristic. I know the engine they used for the 100hp kit too and am talking regularly with a Aeronca owner of one as we go along.

Also, in th epack with the new liveries will be a few of the old ones that are re-mastered to proper canvas look with new shaders added to them.

Here is a pic of the Canvas look I came up with. Chipped paint too! :biggrin-new:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68389&stc=1

Dev One
April 6th, 2019, 11:14
That's going to be very difficult because of the scale of the threads that are still smudged with the application of one coat of dope on linen, compared to the scale of ones pixels on the screen. If its covered with the modern equivalent (can't remember its name) then the weave is even finer. Where is your reinforcing tape & through stitching should be showing at that scale - even the pinking shear cut edges!!!
Where does one stop..........
I wish you luck, although your screen shot does look quite nice at that scale.
Keith

Thomas J Wood
April 6th, 2019, 13:42
To be perfectly honest. These planes are are very different from stock now. Go to any web page with them on it and the paint is all shinney now a days, not dull like the old days. I'm building a plane that is here and now.

And to add.. this addon might make me 500 buck. I have 250 hours into it already, if I was to put all my designers in the whole company on this it would be just like a high def picture, but that would cost me over 500k in wages. So to be realistic, its a game. And this will be as good as I feel like doing it because after a certain point it simply isnt worth my time for what i could get. The band width alone will cost me more for my server then this will make so its just a hobbie for me.

I will make this over the top for sure, but going over the top stupid on it..no.

cavaricooper
April 7th, 2019, 06:05
Keith-

I believe the word you are looking for is Ceconite.

My 7AC was silk & dope, and no electrical system... BUT she did have an 85 Continental under the hood... woah!

I still miss her.

Really looking forward to this!

C

Thomas J Wood
April 7th, 2019, 07:02
I can punch out the bmp to 0ver 4kx4k and i can get stitching in there but fsx will just re-scale it back but I can try. I have the maps so that you guys can use the free paints that every one has done and not have to re size or fart around with them, but for you Kieth Im going to give it a try.
:)

binarkansas
April 7th, 2019, 07:06
Mr. Wood,

The less shiny dope look finish looks great. A linen and doped Champ can still be very nice looking, just not as shiny as more modern finishes. I'm very much looking forward to one of the older, more original models of the 7-AC. The work you're doing on this model is much appreciated. It'll be a first day buy for me. Thanks for taking the time to update your original model.

To be perfectly honest. These planes are are very different from stock now. Go to any web page with them on it and the paint is all shinney now a days, not dull like the old days. I'm building a plane that is here and now.

And to add.. this addon might make me 500 buck. I have 250 hours into it already, if I was to put all my designers in the whole company on this it would be just like a high def picture, but that would cost me over 500k in wages. So to be realistic, its a game. And this will be as good as I feel like doing it because after a certain point it simply isnt worth my time for what i could get. The band width alone will cost me more for my server then this will make so its just a hobbie for me.

I will make this over the top for sure, but going over the top stupid on it..no.