PDA

View Full Version : Att rumbaflappy

dog1
February 20th, 2009, 21:39
ATT RUMBAFLAPPY

REF:elevations flattens polygons in cfs2.
I am seeking your help because I am stuck and believe you can help me with my problem.

Background: I have learnt to build airfields with the help of a member of simouthouse and I have learnt well developing airfields at sea level,my most recent upload was new caledonia airfields last month.I am now building the Marianas B29 airfields and have started with Guam where the airfield lies on a plateau.I have developed the airfield and this is where the story begins.

1)When scaning the area in MB using the mouse I set the FSSC height in the polygon and flatten accordingly,same with the airbase.dat in cfs2 .
a)when I go into the sim I find the airbase height below the ground surface.
b)when I take off the aircraft moves forward then flips upward violently and crashes.
c) I note that the FSSC runways are above the surface.

Please take a look at the detailed images for a.b and c I have posted in my thread above.

d) I downloaded the new caledonia mesh from rolf keibel which I found here at the simouthouse dating to 2002 together with your flatten and airbases.i installed the mesh only and checked his airbase.dat heights for his airbases and found them set at zero,I did not install his airbases. Back in MB I found my new caledonia base in a square hole.I tried lifting it by scaning the area and adjusting poly and flatten heights and airbase.dat but it wont lift.Can you please explain why my airfield is not lifting to the correct height of the installed mesh?

I hope my points are clear and I hope to receive your expert advise on how to proceed
regards
Dog1

rhumbaflappy
February 21st, 2009, 05:21
Hi dog1.

I think Mission Builder has some serious problems for making an airfield. It's position reading and elevation reading are pretty rough... with elevations rounded to whole meters.

I would use TCalc2004 along with a windowed CFS2 while in slew mode. This is the normal way of doing things to read elevations and positions.

You can get TCalc2004 here:

http://webpages.charter.net/ludowr/TCalc2004.zip

TCalc reads exact elevation, absolute heading, absolute position, and a bunch of other stuff, directly from the sim, and you can copy and paste these figures into FSSC to place your airfield and flattens without surprises.

Also, in FSSC make sure the settings are right:

Tools | Preferences | Settings:

Default Unit of Measure as metric
Orientation as Geographic

Dick

dog1
February 21st, 2009, 10:08
Hello Rumbaflappy

believe it or not after 2 days of testing i was able to finally settle the airbase correctly on the Guam plateau at 600ft while the mouse in MB was giving 272 ft.this is my first experience with heights and i thank you very much for this esential tool for future work.
cheers
dog1

rhumbaflappy
February 21st, 2009, 11:18
You can also get pretty close using Google Earth, and reading the elevations there. They use SRTM elevations, so it should match most meshes in CFS2.

The airfields are rarely flat, but must be so in CFS2 ( and all FS versions ). So you are taking an average or compromise for the elevation.

I would suggest you learn to use meters as measurement, as that is the standard for FS, and most of the world.

Dick

dog1
February 21st, 2009, 16:06
So CFS2 MB wrongly displays the metre figures in FT? in the meantime i have switched my FSSC preferences to metres.When your tool is activated is it supposed to read while moving the mouse in MB windowed mode?i ask because its not reacting.
dog1

Jean Bomber
February 21st, 2009, 18:05
Thanks Dick for the tool
JP

rhumbaflappy
February 22nd, 2009, 06:53
Hi Dog1.

I do not use MB to make airfields, and I don't suggest anyone do so. Use CFS2 directly to get your info.

Mission Builder is for making missions and placing GSL objects.

Dick

dog1
February 22nd, 2009, 15:31
roger
cheers
dog1