PDA

View Full Version : Response from UK Government regarding Medals for RAF Bomber Command

IanHenry
October 9th, 2008, 10:04
This looks like an evasion of the issue to me.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page17125 (http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page17125)
<o:p> </o:p>
What price a hero?
Regards,
Ian

Sascha66
October 9th, 2008, 10:24
Ian,

sounds as if most bomber crew should have gotten recognition already - there seems to be a lot of medals which they should have earned after a couple of missions. Do you know if that is true ?

What is the case for having a specific Bomber Command Medal ? I know that there were a number of service medals or maybe just pins for different services e. g. tanks, U-boats in Germany. Is that something similar?

Anyway I think that parliament can also decide on medals, after all, they represent the people. E.g. Congressional Medal of Honor!

It is all easy to talk about political correctness today - those soldiers were people putting their life on the line for what they believed in and what people believed was different in those times! I'm sure that they didn't enjoy bombing peoples homes.

Cheers,
Sascha

Henry
October 9th, 2008, 10:57
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
the one thing i can still do as an expat and i hate that word
because i am not i just do not reside in the UK
is vote on matters like these
i did and i thinks its appalling
but bottom line is we know the heroes
if the government will not honor them
WE will
H

Henry
October 9th, 2008, 12:10
just got my email :banghead:

You signed a petition asking the Prime Minister to "Award a campaign medal
to all members of Bomber Command in World War 2."

The Prime Minister's Office has responded to that petition and you can view

it here:

Right!
H
</pre>

hewman100
October 10th, 2008, 03:23
I'm wondering if a medal is asking too much. This is the second petition on this particular subject I've signed.

Those who flew in the Battle of Britain have a clasp to put on their Air Crew Europe Star IIRC. Maybe a Bomber Command clasp, one for Coastal Command, SEAC and those others would be considered more favorably?