PDA

View Full Version : RAZBAM Mig-19P RELEASED!!

Phantom88
March 1st, 2019, 06:01
***R E L E A S E D***
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/farmer/

StormILM
March 1st, 2019, 12:16
I got it, very nicely done! The only two things that popped up that irritated me was that for one, it was only available for my Open Beta version of DCS and second, once it was downloaded, I had some sort of odd glitch that prevented me from assigning & tuning the controller to the model (my X-56). I simply exited and restarted and all then seemed to work fine. Whatever the glitch was effected controller assignments to the other models as well. Again, just some sort of a hiccup that cleared itself.

The model is spectacular, am very pleased with it. It is a very worthy model to add into the adversary mix or as a primary fighter for those who like vintage jet fighters with all their various perks and quirks. I see Razbam is working on a Mig-23 which will more or less round out the old Migs. Hopefully someone will create a good Mig-17F at some point as well.

To the Dev Team in Cuba and at Razbam, a job well done!

Phantom88
March 1st, 2019, 13:12
She's a Beauty...and a Real Pleasure to fly,Very tame at slow speeds(very unlike her younger Mig-21 Sister) but also she can really move with those twin jets

StormILM
March 1st, 2019, 13:23
Yeah, she was well known for being able to out accelerate an F-4 and most other jets of the time. The NVAF didn't particularly care for the Mig-19 because of it's short range and complicated maintenance but it was nonetheless a very formidable dog fighter in the right hands. One thing I warn new users on right off the bat, when in a dive, make damn sure you chop the throttle and extend the speed brakes or the Terra-firma will jump up and smack you in the face in a flash! As this model's flight dynamics reflect the real bird quite well, it is very slick aerodynamically and will accelerate in a dive even with the power off and the faster it gets, the pitch authority fades very quickly!

Mach3DS
March 1st, 2019, 20:06
I'm reading in a lot of places that the flight model is pretty poor. In fact the "The flight model" was listed as a "bug"! Is it exaggerated or do you find some truth after the novelty period is over? I'm sure it will be updated as Early Access period moves forward....however, nice to know ahead of time.

StormILM
March 1st, 2019, 20:55
I have no idea where/how some in the flight sim community (DCS, FSX/P3D) are able to ascertain how accurate a given flight model is when some aircraft types haven't had an airworthy example for some time. The data in the flight manuals is certainly an accurate reference but in a PC based simulation, in the end it is a fairly rough sometimes bare bones facsimile(translation) of the feel and behavior of the real flight dynamics. What can I say in defense of the Mig-19 model's flight dynamics having never flown the real aircraft? Only what I have read about the real bird which that it was from many accounts a good handling aircraft that was arguably the best handling of all the early Migs which made them excellent dogfighters which is why some air forces and their pilots held considerable fear of encountering them during the Mig-19's prime. What I see on the Razbam model seems to reflect that a good bit. The real 19 had excellent roll rate and pitch authority until the latter hit the wall a bit at higher speeds. The acceleration was considerably better than the F-4 Phantom and it could out-turn many Western fighters of the time. In this model, you see quite well tuned dynamic control response in inputs vs speeds vs dynamic feedback (buffeting at high speeds and during high AoA & bled energy. During the landing approach you have to stay well ahead of the aircraft, the engine spool up is sluggish (like most old jet engines) and if you get behind the speed & sink rate curve, you'll be forced to push up the power as quickly as possible BUT the acceleration is brisk and in a full flap and drag combo with the gear out, you can easily overshoot the approach by pouring on too much power. Again, I think the flight dynamics are pretty good and yes, maybe they will tune them over time but again, how many pilots are still left out there who flew the real bird that can really help fine tune it? it's going to be a lot of guess work which is pretty much the norm in creating these models. I like it, I think it is a very good fit in the Mig lineup. That's just my opinion, I don't work for ED/DCS nor Razbam.

Rick, my little diatribe isn't aimed at your response, more so to a lot of bickering I see on some sites about this subject. Sometimes it gets outright irritating dealing with the crayon eaters when many of us are trying to look into these things objectively.

Mach3DS
March 2nd, 2019, 15:45
Yeah, I'm good. :) What I've heard from 2 guys in my squadron that have it is that, it can super-cruise at FL400 Mil power (1.3 in burner), can out accelerate the F-15C, and that the parasite drag from gear, boards, flaps has a very low impact on deceleration. Those were the main items that I was concerned with. Do you find those to be present as well? I'm guessing this stuff will be fixed since it's Early Access now anyway...

StormILM
March 2nd, 2019, 18:19
I think that overall, the flight dynamics are in the right direction. What does need to be tuned? the stall dynamics both power off/slow speed/high AoA and the power on accelerated stall characteristics. I agree that the parasitic drag needs tuning as well. It is present after gear and flaps come in but regarding board deployment, I'm not totally sure about that. I have read the real Mig-19 was a very slippery bird in terms of induced drag (fairly aerodynamically clean) which some aircraft designs are slow to decelerate when speed brakes/spoilers are deployed. As far as the speed, the real bird had very high acceleration, considerably greater than the F-4 but in the case of this model, it's high altitude numbers may be off but then again, I have always found the base models like the F-15 to be a bit underpowered in certain flight regimes (having simplistic flight and engine dynamics). I'm sure they will tune it up a bit more but at present, it's a very nice model.