PDA

View Full Version : FSX Native AVRO PWS-18 Uploaded!...

nigel richards
February 24th, 2019, 09:08
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67643&stc=1

FSX_NATIVE_AVRO_PWS-18

By Nigel Richards & Team

3 models, 6 texture liveries, custom panel, custom Wright (AVIA) J-5b soundset.

In 1934, the Polish government, looking for an intermediate military trainer, bought two Avro Tutor trainer aircraft together with a licence to produce the aircraft. Production was ordered in the PWS (Podlaska Wytwornia Samolotow - Podlasie Aircraft Factory). In 1935, Antoni Uszacki of the PWS modified the design, fitting it with a Wright Whirlwind engine, produced under licence in Poland. The new engine cowling was much longer than the previous Townend ring type, with a carburetor air intake below it. The wing construction was changed from metal to wooden, better fitted to PWS capabilities, and the rectangular wing tips were rounded. Also some other details were changed, such as a tailskid instead of a tailwheel.

Models/Textures/Sounds by Nigel Richards
Custom Flight Models/files by James Banks, Milton Shupe, Pete Collis, Keith Paine
Gauges by Roman Stoviak, Nigel Richards, Keith Paine

Please note: The AVRO PWS-18 will be available for download from the Warbirds section once cleared by SOH staff.

Have Fun! :wiggle:

Twice43
February 24th, 2019, 09:31
:applause::applause::applause:
Many thanks.
T43

Sundog
February 24th, 2019, 11:17
You've, thankfully, turned into a biplane factory. ;) Thank you. :very_drunk:

Priller
February 24th, 2019, 11:28
Thank you so much!! :)

Priller

TuFun
February 24th, 2019, 14:17
Awesome!!!

Bradburger
February 24th, 2019, 17:58
Many thanks Nigel.

:jump:

Cheers

Paul

Naismith
February 24th, 2019, 22:15
Beautiful work Nigel, thanks very much. Picked them both up as I often revert to FS9.

downwind
February 25th, 2019, 06:01
Oh my! Pilot/instructor version is just awesome. And the sound/power from the big engines is palpable. Well done, all!

binarkansas
February 25th, 2019, 06:30
Thanks so much. The PWS sounds are truly awesome. All of these Avro models go far beyond any expectations for Flight
Ssim aircraft, freeware or payware. Thanks again.

jamminjames
February 25th, 2019, 06:35
Thanks for this beauty! Stunning detail, great sound and flies like a dream.

Postbaer61
February 25th, 2019, 06:36
And I thought, it couldn't be done better, but I was wrong.
The new .bump and .spec textures make the new models look even better. Simply stunning. :applause::applause::applause:
I'm looking forward to the final FSX native models.

Thanks so much Nigel and Team !!

UnknownGuest12
February 25th, 2019, 08:22
Just want to say a very big thank you to you all creators. Afraid my english is not good enough to praise this work of art. Love it on P3Dv4! Start sequence sounds and effects, pilot animation, everything is top notch. Can´t get better anywhere else. And for free!!!!

Fireball6
February 25th, 2019, 10:12
Thank you so much Nigel, another wonderfull crafted plane :applause: She is superb :applause: I pull my hat, Sir Nigel ...

All the Best and once more thank you

Dirk

YoYo
February 25th, 2019, 13:03
BIG Thank You!!!! :applause:

Is it work for P3Dv4?

btw.

the development of this came to PWS-26, near most popular trainer in Poland before 1939 (the first was RWD-8):
http://files.balancer.ru/forums/attaches/3a/20/3a2027fffc0951855679deeb67bf0cbe.jpg

YoYo
February 25th, 2019, 14:10
https://i.imgur.com/Jogd4wP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fDJbnw0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/R9Taph4.jpg

btw. "Polish Khaki" is a little darker (and more brown), here is example:

https://www.hobbysta.pl/images/Hataka/hataka_HTK-A011.png
http://www.janusz-swiatlon.eu/pws-26/slides/pws26_fot12.jpg

Tested in P3Dv4 - works!!! In 3D VC all gauges without problem, but no any 2D panel (its ok for me).

Thank You again! :wavey:

b24_witchcraft
February 26th, 2019, 14:03
Very nice - thank you Nigel and team! :applause::applause:

Dragontech
February 28th, 2019, 19:12
Usually, I am hard to impress, especially with FSX aircraft. But this PWS-18 is amazing. I've never seen better in a freeware model. The textures, the colors, the sounds, the handling in flight are just out of this world. I've not seen many payware planes as good, and to see this level of excellence in a freeware download, is mind-boggling.
I'd actually never heard of this plane before downloading it. The screen shots looked intriguing so I figured it'd be worth a look. It is far and away above what I expected. It handles as predictably, and docilely as you'd want a trainer to. I can't compare it to flying any real plane, since I just don't have that experience. That's WAY outside my tax bracket. However, if a real plane flew as well as this one, everyone would be up there in it. Granted, it's no magic carpet. Climbing is a slow, patient business. Aerobatics takes practice, and plenty of altitude. Somehow, I have the impression that is prototypical too.
Nigel, please PLEASE keep releasing unusual planes like this. Your talent is immense, and the subject matter is a welcome change of pace.

dvj
March 1st, 2019, 07:47
Extraordinary modeling. Turn up the volume! Love that soundset.

-d

nigel richards
March 1st, 2019, 10:02
:applause:
Many thanks.
T43

Many Thanks to you, Sir! :-)

You've, thankfully, turned into a biplane factory. ;) Thank you. :very_drunk:

Who me? :bee:

Yeah! Sort of double-fun deals...but there again I also have some amazing monoplane and maybe even triplane fun up my sleeve, yet :jump:

Thanks Sundog! :-)

Thank you so much!! :)

Priller

Thank YOU, Priller! :-)

Awesome!!!

Hey! Thanks TuFun! :-)

nigel richards
March 1st, 2019, 10:17
Many thanks Nigel.

:jump:

Cheers

Paul

Very much appreciated, Paul. Thank YOU, Sir :-)

Beautiful work Nigel, thanks very much. Picked them both up as I often revert to FS9.

Very gracious of you to say so, Naismith :-)
Must admitt that I also thoroughly enjoy both sims too, my friend. :encouragement:

Oh my! Pilot/instructor version is just awesome. And the sound/power from the big engines is palpable. Well done, all!

Pleased somebody likes that version, downwind. To show my appreciation for your enthusiastic comments, I'll include a VC 'Instructor' combo for the next release; AVRO 646 Sea Tutor which I am now in the process of completing. :encouragement:

Thanks so much. The PWS sounds are truly awesome. All of these Avro models go far beyond any expectations for Flight
Ssim aircraft, freeware or payware. Thanks again.

Thank YOU, binarkansas - your remarks are very much appreciated, Sir :-)

Thanks for this beauty! Stunning detail, great sound and flies like a dream.

Thank YOU, James - pleased she's more than a pretty face. :ernaehrung004:

nigel richards
March 1st, 2019, 10:27
And I thought, it couldn't be done better, but I was wrong.
The new .bump and .spec textures make the new models look even better. Simply stunning. :applause:
I'm looking forward to the final FSX native models.

Thanks so much Nigel and Team !!

What more can I say than a massive thanks to you, Ulrich for making the earlier AVRO releases accessible to P3D users. Huge thanks to you for bridging that gap, Sir.

Yes, I agree that FSX native materials are making an awesome difference towards the high standards we seek to acheive.

:ernaehrung004:

nigel richards
March 1st, 2019, 10:30
Beaufighter

"Just want to say a very big thank you to you all creators. Afraid my english is not good enough to praise this work of art. Love it on P3Dv4! Start sequence sounds and effects, pilot animation, everything is top notch. Can´t get better anywhere else. And for free!!!!"

We speak the same language, Beaufighter :-)

Massive thanks to you, Sir! :encouragement:

nigel richards
March 1st, 2019, 10:42
Thank you so much Nigel, another wonderfull crafted plane :applause: She is superb :applause: I pull my hat, Sir Nigel ...

All the Best and once more thank you

Dirk

All the BEST to you, Dirk!
There is no finer a reward to any developer or team than seeing people find enjoyment from their product.

nigel richards
March 1st, 2019, 10:47
https://i.imgur.com/Jogd4wP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fDJbnw0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/R9Taph4.jpg

btw. "Polish Khaki" is a little darker (and more brown), here is example:

https://www.hobbysta.pl/images/Hataka/hataka_HTK-A011.png
http://www.janusz-swiatlon.eu/pws-26/slides/pws26_fot12.jpg

Tested in P3Dv4 - works!!! In 3D VC all gauges without problem, but no any 2D panel (its ok for me).

Thank You again! :wavey:

Many Thanks to you too, YoYo - and very honoured to see she's finally 'flying' once again in Poland

Duckie
March 1st, 2019, 10:47
Nigel, I have to say that you have earned yourself a place among the "Masters" with your AVRO releases! All the superlatives I possess in my limited lexicon have already been claimed and EXCLAIMED by others. So, I'll just tip my hat in salute and says thanks for these Gems.

-S-

Steve

nigel richards
March 1st, 2019, 10:58
Nigel, I have to say that you have earned yourself a place among the "Masters" with your AVRO releases! All the superlatives I possess in my limited lexicon have already been claimed and EXCLAIMED by others. So, I'll just tip my hat in salute and says thanks for these Gems.

-S-

Steve

Awe Steve! :wavey:

Prefer being an apprentice; it's way more fun and much more productive. :bee:

Here's to you, my most talented friend!

nigel richards
March 1st, 2019, 11:07
Very nice - thank you Nigel and team! :applause::applause:

On behalf of the Team - Thank YOU, Sir! :encouragement:

Usually, I am hard to impress, especially with FSX aircraft. But this PWS-18 is amazing. I've never seen better in a freeware model. The textures, the colors, the sounds, the handling in flight are just out of this world. I've not seen many payware planes as good, and to see this level of excellence in a freeware download, is mind-boggling.
I'd actually never heard of this plane before downloading it. The screen shots looked intriguing so I figured it'd be worth a look. It is far and away above what I expected. It handles as predictably, and docilely as you'd want a trainer to. I can't compare it to flying any real plane, since I just don't have that experience. That's WAY outside my tax bracket. However, if a real plane flew as well as this one, everyone would be up there in it. Granted, it's no magic carpet. Climbing is a slow, patient business. Aerobatics takes practice, and plenty of altitude. Somehow, I have the impression that is prototypical too.
Nigel, please PLEASE keep releasing unusual planes like this. Your talent is immense, and the subject matter is a welcome change of pace.

Most humbled by your gracious comments, Dragontech! :-)

I promise you; more unusual planes to come, Sir! :jump:

Extraordinary modeling. Turn up the volume! Love that soundset.

-d

Spoken like a true enthusiast! :-)

Thank YOU, dvj!

Penzoil3
March 1st, 2019, 12:50
Lovely plane dumb a** installer.:banghead:

nigel richards
March 1st, 2019, 13:02
Lovely plane dumb a** installer.:banghead:

Easy as 1,2,3:

1. Direct installer to a temporary folder.
2. Place _FSX_AVRO-PWS-18 folder into Airplane folder.
3. Place effects into Effects folder.

You could of course ask for a refund :-)

johnwillimas2
March 2nd, 2019, 04:37
Every bit as lovely as the Tutor and the 621!

Can I raise this point though which applies to all three in FSX....

The compass card can't be unlocked or rotated. There seems to be a click spot on the locking lever but it doesn't appear do anything.

Dev One
March 2nd, 2019, 05:50
Every bit as lovely as the Tutor and the 621!

Can I raise this point though which applies to all three in FSX....

The compass card can't be unlocked or rotated. There seems to be a click spot on the locking lever but it doesn't appear do anything.

But if you can open & modify the AVRO_compass.xml in the panels folder, then just add a space, then a - & another space after the ) & before the </Value>

so that it looks like this <Value>(A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees) - </Value>

This will make the compass cross rotate correctly but leave you with a static compass card & a correct readout of degrees.

Applicable to FS9 & FSX.

Keith

johnwillimas2
March 2nd, 2019, 07:27
This will make the compass cross rotate correctly but leave you with a static compass card & a correct readout of degrees.

Keith

Thanks Keith - that gives me a 2D pop-up compass when I click on the 3D one and it gives the correct readout of degrees in the tool tip but it still won't let me turn the lines (I think its the cross wires) that you rotate to your desired heading so that when the cross of the compass and the cross wires are aligned you are going the right way.

flying legend
March 2nd, 2019, 10:23
These Avro series are one of the very best addons in FSX. Thank you very much!

Dev One
March 2nd, 2019, 10:57
Thanks Keith - that gives me a 2D pop-up compass when I click on the 3D one and it gives the correct readout of degrees in the tool tip but it still won't let me turn the lines (I think its the cross wires) that you rotate to your desired heading so that when the cross of the compass and the cross wires are aligned you are going the right way.

That would require Nigel to provide a projection screen in his Gmax model & then list it in the panel.cfg. Most of my models do it that way.
Keith

johnwillimas2
March 2nd, 2019, 23:49
Thanks for the response.
It sounds like a fair bit of work rather than a simple fix and its not really a problem for the sort of flying that most will do, I guess.

Motormouse
March 3rd, 2019, 01:00

Just don't try and hold inverted flight too long, it's a carburettor fed engine and fuel starvation soon sets in!

Ttfn

Pete

magoo
March 3rd, 2019, 08:26
Just don't try and hold inverted flight too long, it's a carburettor fed engine and fuel starvation soon sets in!

Ttfn

Pete

For those who'd like to fly inverted without restriction, please open the Aircraft.CFG file, scroll down to the section [piston_engine], look for "fuel_metering_type=1"

Change the "1" to a "2" and save.

Now it's upside-down to your heart's content, and you don't need to have your local mechanic sign off on it, either. The beauty of Flight Sims.

spokes2112
March 3rd, 2019, 10:07
RE: Compass
Will send Nigel an alternate compass where the heading reference can be set but it will not be gyro referenced.. A no no cuz it was never implemented as such.
Keep an eye out..

nigel richards
March 3rd, 2019, 12:00
My sincere compliments to johnwillimas2 for pointing out the compass issue, and my appologies to Keith (who has probably given up on me) for discreetly trying to point me North!

Well, Roman has most graciously provided me with a perfect replacement code, using existing bitmaps. The compass is working faultlessly in both FS9 and FSX without the need for model corrections.

Thank YOU, Roman! :-)

I will upload the updated version of 'AVRO_compass', but for those of you who are comfortable with hand editing xml gauges, here is the entire new coding:

<Gauge Name="compass_popup" Version="1.0">
<Image Name="AVRO__compass.bmp"/>

<Element>
<Position X="150" Y="150"/>
<Image Name="compass_popup_needle.bmp" PointsTo="South">
<Axis X="85" Y="86"/>
</Image>
<Rotate>
<Value>(A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees)</Value>
<Nonlinearity>
<Item Value="0" Degrees="-90"/>
<Item Value="180" Degrees="90"/>
<Item Value="360" Degrees="-90"/>
</Nonlinearity>
</Rotate>
</Element>

<Element>
<Image Name="compass_popup_crosswires.bmp" PointsTo="North">
<Axis X="85" Y="86"/>
</Image>
<Rotate>
<Value>(A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees)</Value>
<Nonlinearity>
</Nonlinearity>
</Rotate>
</Element>

<Mouse>

<Area Name="AVRO HEADING REFERENCE DOWN" Left="0" Top="0" Width="150" Height="300">
<Tooltip ID="">AVRO Compass (Heading %((A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees))%!d!°, Reference %((A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees))%!d!°) - R. Click to toggle 2D compass.</Tooltip>
<Cursor Type="DownArrow"/>
<Click Repeat="Yes" Kind="LeftSingle+RightSingle">
(M:Event) 'RightSingle' scmp 0 == if{ 75 (&gt;K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE) } els{ (>K:HEADING_BUG_DEC) }
</Click>
</Area>

<Area Name="AVRO HEADING REFERENCE UP" Left="150" Top="0" Width="150" Height="300">
<Tooltip ID="">AVRO Compass (Heading %((A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees))%!d!°, Reference %((A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees))%!d!°) - R. Click to toggle 2D compass.</Tooltip>
<Cursor Type="UpArrow"/>
<Click Repeat="Yes" Kind="LeftSingle+RightSingle">
(M:Event) 'RightSingle' scmp 0 == if{ 75 (&gt;K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE) } els{ (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC) }
</Click>
</Area>

</Mouse>

</Gauge>

nigel richards
March 3rd, 2019, 12:04
For those who'd like to fly inverted without restriction, please open the Aircraft.CFG file, scroll down to the section [piston_engine], look for "fuel_metering_type=1"

Now it's upside-down to your heart's content, and you don't need to have your local mechanic sign off on it, either. The beauty of Flight Sims.

I LOVE it just the way you have it already set up, James!!! :jump:

nigel richards
March 3rd, 2019, 12:07
These Avro series are one of the very best addons in FSX. Thank you very much!

Pleased to hear we're doing something right, flying legend :encouragement:

Thank YOU, Sir! :-)

Motormouse
March 3rd, 2019, 12:55

Nice one Magoo, but this local mechanic likes the challenge.

Ttfn

Pete

Dragontech
March 4th, 2019, 06:46

Ttfn

Pete

That bit of carburetor realism is the sort of thing I like to see in a sim. If the real plane can't do it, I don't want the sim to do it. Likewise, if the plane CAN, I want the sim able as well. Realistic flight, realistic looks, clickable cockpit. I've many planes like that. Now if only I could make the WORLD in FSX look real......

magoo
March 4th, 2019, 13:55
The Avro Tutor had an aerobatic float setup. Witness the countless images popping up in old aviation magazines from the 'thirties showing RAF stunt teams doing their upside-down thing in our favorite Anglo Avros. (Get a hold of Nigel's Tudor pack and try it out. You can fly inverted until all the blood goes to your head and you pass out. Have crash detection turned off.....)

The Poles bought two Avro Tudors, and a license to manufacture.

The PWS establishment then went through the design and altered as much of it as they could to speed up the assembly line.

The Avro series were steel tube construction throughout, with steel tube spars, wooden stringers to fasten the cloth.

PWS changed the wings to wood, altered the wing tips from square to round ( easier in wood?), deleted the leading edge slats, and sourced a domestic radial engine, a license built Wright J-5 from either Avia or Polskie Zakłady Skody.

As Poland was feeling the thumping-boot foreign policy squeeze between Fascist Germany and the Soviet Union, they were building up their airforce as quickly as possible with massively limited resources.

The term, "quick and dirty" comes to mind. Right out of the factory, throw that plane right up into the air. If it flies, it's yours......if it doesn't....it never was......:encouragement:

Whether or not the PWS-18 carburetor was set up to fly inverted could be a good pub debate. My decision was against that, again, regarding the policy and budget at the time.....get as many into the air and train those bloody pilots...fast.

Musefully I would suggest that anytime a Polish trainee pilot would get inverted, it was probably while pulling high gee's in pursuit of a virtual firing solution at the tail feathers of one of his fellow cadets. Under such conditions, the fuel system would be binge-gulping with pure inertia, never the opportunity for even one hiccup....

Certainly the Poles really got the chance to show off their extreme training once they got their hands on some sundry Spitfires and Hurricanes in the UK.

But that's another story....

The plane illustrated below can be found finely rendered in Nigel's wonderful PWS-18 package.

Taka-taka-taka!!!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67826&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67827&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67828&stc=1

johnwillimas2
March 5th, 2019, 01:24
Many thanks for the compass fix but I can't make it work. Cutting and pasting this code into a new .xml file and replacing the current AVRO_compass.xml file I lose the compass functionality completely - neither the needle nor the direction card are displayed. I'll hang on for the file upload. It's probably an editing error on my side.

When I try to open the xml file in Internet Explorer it only shows this....
(A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees) (A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees)

The whole file is shown if I open it in Notepad, for example, or in file explorer preview....

Cheers.

nigel richards
March 5th, 2019, 01:46
Many thanks for the compass fix but I can't make it work. Cutting and pasting this code into a new .xml file and replacing the current AVRO_compass.xml file I lose the compass functionality completely - neither the needle nor the direction card are displayed. I'll hang on for the file upload. It's probably an editing error on my side.

When I try to open the xml file in Internet Explorer it only shows this....
(A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees) (A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees)

The whole file is shown if I open it in Notepad, for example, or in file explorer preview....

Cheers.

Hi John, please send me your e-mail address via private message and I'll get the new gauge to you double-quick. :-)

spokes2112
March 5th, 2019, 02:09
Nigel,

Posting XML code into a website, or email, will usually reformat it into a useless set of characters.
Just FYI, when posting code here use the "#" button above in the post editor functions to surround the code in "code" tags. This will keep the forum software from parsing/reformatting.
Anyhow, attached is the same zip sent to you (if it works), so others may use it before you upload an official.. Hope you don't mind.

Roman

nigel richards
March 5th, 2019, 02:14
Nigel,

Posting XML code into a website, or email, will usually reformat it into a useless set of characters.
Just FYI, when posting code here use the "#" button above in the post editor functions to surround the code in "code" tags. This will keep the forum software from parsing/reformatting.
Anyhow, attached is the same zip sent to you (if it works), so others may use it before you upload an official.. Hope you don't mind.

Roman

Bless you, Roman :-)

Postbaer61
March 5th, 2019, 02:34
What more can I say than a massive thanks to you, Ulrich for making the earlier AVRO releases accessible to P3D users. Huge thanks to you for bridging that gap, Sir.

Yes, I agree that FSX native materials are making an awesome difference towards the high standards we seek to acheive.

My pleasure! Sir,
it was an honor to me.

johnwillimas2
March 5th, 2019, 02:36
Hi John, please send me your e-mail address via private message and I'll get the new gauge to you double-quick. :-)

Thanks but I have picked up the file from Roman's post. Works perfectly! Many thanks to you all for making this plane even better!

johnwillimas2
March 5th, 2019, 02:37
Nigel,

Roman

Thanks, Roman - works great!

nigel richards
March 5th, 2019, 02:45
Thanks but I have picked up the file from Roman's post. Works perfectly! Many thanks to you all for making this plane even better!

BTW, The new compass gauge can be used on all of the AVRO series panels so far released.
Works perfectly in both in FS9 and FSX.

Many Thanks to Roman! :applause:

Dev One
March 5th, 2019, 05:34
So thats why it wouldn't work for me. Having D/Led Roman's .zip it now does although the 2D pop up only flashes up on my screen - a SP2 problem as opposed to Accel?
Anyway I've meddled again & placed a negative sign in the top value line so the needle swings in the correct direction. Changed the 'Avro Compass.bmp' for the one I use - it fits perfectly & funny how we both use the same serial number P8 compass! & I have added a lubber line to the $vc02.bmp
I have also modified the tooltip text as I think the Reference value is misleading. I now have an almost perfectly working compass that I thought was not possible without Nigel having to create a modification to his Gmax. Only a working friction locking pad is lacking.

Now let me see if I can attach it....

OK it seems to be there. Exchange the $vc02 in the panel folder & the .xml in the NR621 folder. Add the P8 Grid Ring mod.bmp to the NR621 folder.

Keith (must stop meddling!)

Dev One
March 5th, 2019, 21:51
So thats why it wouldn't work for me. Having D/Led Roman's .zip it now does although the 2D pop up only flashes up on my screen - a SP2 problem as opposed to Accel?
Anyway I've meddled again & placed a negative sign in the top value line so the needle swings in the correct direction. Changed the 'Avro Compass.bmp' for the one I use - it fits perfectly & funny how we both use the same serial number P8 compass! & I have added a lubber line to the $vc02.bmp
I have also modified the tooltip text as I think the Reference value is misleading. I now have an almost perfectly working compass that I thought was not possible without Nigel having to create a modification to his Gmax. Only a working friction locking pad is lacking.

Now let me see if I can attach it....

OK it seems to be there. Exchange the $vc02 in the panel folder & the .xml in the NR621 folder. Add the P8 Grid Ring mod.bmp to the NR621 folder.

Keith (must stop meddling!)

WAIT...I've found a better way to show the lubber line & place it on the inside where it should be so use the V2 version. There is no need to change the $vc02, just add/ exchange the enclosed to the NR621 folder.

Keith

johnwillimas2
March 6th, 2019, 00:25
WAIT...I've found a better way to show the lubber line & place it on the inside where it should be so use the V2 version. There is no need to change the $vc02, just add/ exchange the enclosed to the NR621 folder.

Keith

Works great. Thanks Keith!

spokes2112
March 8th, 2019, 08:09
Keith, must admit that I've never had any experience with the P.8 compass.
My first mod was just to get some kind of heading reference.
After looking at some vids and some docs, you sir, have nailed it! :encouragement:

One could use my mod as a "simple simmer" model of the compass and your version for the hard core, "as real as it gets", simmer.
Thanks! :applause:

Roman

Dev One
March 8th, 2019, 18:17
My pleasure Roman, I did it because John asked the question, but I had previously noted it to Nigel. I then found it possible to do the 'swinging bit' from your initial mod, so on.....I just hoped I wasn't treading on your toes!
Doing a bit of research I found that a long time ago someone commented on the M$ DH Comet compass as being wrong rotation & having a fixed bezel, must admit I didn't fly that model very much, couldn't taxy it!

Keith

nigel richards
March 9th, 2019, 00:37
Keith, must admit that I've never had any experience with the P.8 compass.
My first mod was just to get some kind of heading reference.
After looking at some vids and some docs, you sir, have nailed it! :encouragement:

One could use my mod as a "simple simmer" model of the compass and your version for the hard core, "as real as it gets", simmer.
Thanks! :applause:

Roman

My pleasure Roman, I did it because John asked the question, but I had previously noted it to Nigel. I then found it possible to do the 'swinging bit' from your initial mod, so on.....I just hoped I wasn't treading on your toes!
Doing a bit of research I found that a long time ago someone commented on the M$ DH Comet compass as being wrong rotation & having a fixed bezel, must admit I didn't fly that model very much, couldn't taxy it!

Keith

Roman, Keith; Kudos Gentlemen - we now have an excellent P.8 compass! :jump:

I have to confess to no first-hand experience with this compass - similar to Roman, I did some searches online and now have a better understanding of its correct use.

Keith: The DH Comet compass 'did me in' - it was the very compass I based the original gauge on.
Your diligence has once again paid off with dividends.

Many Thanks! :ernaehrung004:

Henry
March 17th, 2019, 11:00
iamready togetback flyingagain its birdslikethat makes me so frustrated it has been19years since ihad ajoystick inmyhand:banghead: thanks iapreciate it
henry:applause:

pgbart
April 5th, 2019, 04:47
Your beautiful model AVRO PWS 18 native for FSX, works fine on P3dv4.4.
The model AVRO 621 port instead, does not work; can you make it compatible?
Thank you
pgbart
Pier Giorgio Bartolucci, Venezia

cavaricooper
April 5th, 2019, 04:57
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/114259-FSX-native-AVRO-Tutor?highlight=AVRO

Works superbly- these 3 aircraft are among the very best offerings currently available for Flight Simulation- regardless of freeware/payware selection.

Enjoy the wonder!

C

UnknownGuest12
April 5th, 2019, 05:31
Your beautiful model AVRO PWS 18 native for FSX, works fine on P3dv4.4.
The model AVRO 621 port instead, does not work; can you make it compatible?
Thank you
pgbart
Pier Giorgio Bartolucci, Venezia

They are just perfect...download last versions and install correctly…
Saluti...

ZsoltB
April 5th, 2019, 06:12
Great Birdie!

https://i.imgur.com/FVqpiUw.jpg

Paintkit available?

Thank you,
Zsolt

MZee1960
April 9th, 2019, 13:37
Just curious (re all AVRO models and both the port-overs and FSX native models) and to add more realism in screenshots etc. ......
........... is there a way of removing the pilot from the exterior view when aircraft is parked and engine/instruments are turned 'off' ?

I came across some aircraft before where pilots disappeared when certain conditions were met (parking brake set, battery off, etc. based on type of aircraft).

Thank-you.
MZ.

Robs
January 28th, 2021, 09:23
Hi All,
I was hoping that someone could help me as I am just trying to figure out how to program gauges in XML.
(I run FSX on Win10 with Saitek controls and instrumentation and Spad.Next)
What I want to do is to adjust a P8 Compass gauge for my own purposes so I can navigate using the P8, stop watch and whizz wheel.
What I am aiming to do is transplant this gauge to some freeware aircraft eg DG Designs DH89 Dragon Rapid where theP8 isn't so visible in the virtual cockpit.

I want to undock and enlarge the P8 onto another screen, rotate the bezel as per and also maybe do a Saitek FIP version for me.

Keith has been very helpful (thank you so much) but now I can post in the forum I can throw it out there to spread the load.

I am able to undock this gauge now when the original Mouse section is removed (as it uses right click stopping the undock menu). I can set a hardware knob on my Saitek controls to control A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR
I can enlarge the gauge but at the size I'd like (600x600) the graphics tear terribly and the centre sometimes jumps when rotated. Is a different XML command needed to rotate. I have already tried to enlarge the bitmaps to produce a "native" 600x600 gauge but it still tears and jumps. Suggestions please!

The b ezel does rotate with A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR but it seems to rotate the wrong way. The bezel does not read the same value as the variable. When A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR=10 the bezel reads 350. This is important so when you move the gauge o other aircraft it lines up with the onboard compass. Please could someone help me with the rotate to read correctly?

I have manage to transplant this gauge to a Saitek FIP by resizing the BMPs and changing position and axis. Still have the bezel not reading sameas A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR above. But what I would like to know is how to program the gauge to take input from the FIP buttons directly and adjust varies. Hw can I program the P8 FIP version to adjust A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR using one of FIP knobs. Can someone advise or point to a tutorial for FIPs?

Lots here. Sorry. Steep learning curve and got as far as I can fiddling. Time to ask.

Many thanks in advance.

Rob.

<Gauge Name="compass_popup" Version="1.0">
<Image Name="AVRO__compass.bmp"/>

<Element>
<Image Name="compass_popup_needle.bmp" PointsTo="South">
<Axis X="85" Y="86"/>
</Image>
<Rotate>
<Value>(A:Wiskey compass indication degrees,degrees) - </Value>
<Nonlinearity>
</Nonlinearity>
</Rotate>
</Element>

<Element>
<Image Name="P8_Grid_Ring_mod.bmp" PointsTo="North">
<Axis X="143" Y="143"/>
</Image>
<Rotate>
<Value>(A:AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees)</Value>
<Nonlinearity>
</Nonlinearity>
</Rotate>
</Element>

cavaricooper
June 19th, 2021, 07:37
Nigel-

I haven't heard from you or seen you online in a while... hope all is well mate?

Is there anything we can do to evoke any interest in bringing this and the lovely Tutor to MSFS? I posted about this on that fora, however, I thought I would give it another try here. She's much too good to give up...

Ta!

Carl