PDA

View Full Version : WWII Movie list

PJMack
October 9th, 2008, 09:07
I am interested in increasing my movie collection of World War II aircraft. Please feel free to add to it.

12 oclock high
the war lover
the dam busters
flying leather necks
Tuskeegee Airmen
Airforce
Wing and a Prayer
Tora Tora Tora
Midway
Memphis Belle
Island in the sky

I also have World War II movies from the other services but would like to keep the aircraft list up.

Thanks in advance

jimskifs
October 9th, 2008, 09:23
Off the top of my head you might add

Command Decision
Divebomber
One Of Our Aircraft Is Missing
Combat America

I usually get them from Netflix which will also have some foreign films like the Russian film Torpedo Bomber.

Jimski

OBIO
October 9th, 2008, 10:08
You forgot the best WW2 airplane movie of all time: Pearl Harbor :costumes:

OBIO

Capt.Destructo
October 9th, 2008, 10:14
Battle of Britain
Mosquito Squadron
633 Squadron
Reach fop the Sky

Finn
October 9th, 2008, 10:15
How could you miss THE movie "The Battle of Britain"? Biggest filmed collection of airworthy Spitfires you ever saw. Also the "633 Squadron" with nice shots of Mosquitoes.
Finn:icon31:

Capt.Destructo
October 9th, 2008, 10:15
Battle of Britain
Mosquito Squadron
633 Squadron
Reach for the Sky
Flying Tigers

Hern07
October 9th, 2008, 10:56
Thirty Seconds over Tokyo

Hern07
October 9th, 2008, 11:16
You got me to thinking of some oldies. One is very obscure and under-appreciated called Target Unknown. The basic plot is about the crew of a Marauder who are shot down and captured and their dealings with a Luftwaffe interrogator.
The German doesn't use whips and thumbscrews, rather his wits, a genial personality and the ability to listen. (The worst kind) It's based on a book written by Raymond Toliver about the real life Hanns Scharff. He always presented himself as an enlisted man because officers tended to think they were too smart for him in that guise. Thanks for the question, I had forgotten about the book and the movie. The other movie is Air Force. I don't want to give away anything, but the little dog survives. It has William Bendix in it who never survives any war movies he's in. This was a major picture for its time. To Corsiar. F it is set in the Pacific. Both are excellent flicks. :kilroy: Sorry, reread your post and you had already mentioned Air Force, so I'll suggest A Guy Name Joe with Spencer Tracy and Van Johnson. It had a sappy unbelievable plot, but did have some beautiful shots of P-38's.

Buddha13
October 9th, 2008, 11:54
Hi all,
How about,
Blue Max,
Flyboys(Which I quite enjoyed).

Eoraptor1
October 9th, 2008, 12:42
Two movies I'd written off as "chick flicks" but turned out to be pleasant surprises: Dark Blue World and Map of the Human Heart.

JAMES

Hern07
October 9th, 2008, 19:21
Gotta mention two more: Captain of the Clouds. Vintage Jimmy Cagney who learns the value of teamwork the hard way. Catch 22, not nearly worthy of the book, but does have some good shots of B-25's.

OBIO
October 9th, 2008, 20:12
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Stupid stupid movie.

hewman100
October 10th, 2008, 02:56
You want to find the following:

Target for Tonight
Coastal Command
Ferry Pilot

These are wartime films made with the full co-operation of the Royal Air Force. They are both part of the 'Imperial War Museum DVD Collection' and should be readily available.

dog1
October 10th, 2008, 03:46
633 squadron coming this month on one of our cable channels,but when it rains ......
dog1

DauntlessDriver546
October 10th, 2008, 09:03
"Flying Tigers" with John Wayne... it's not the best movie... but I think it's pretty cool anyway... anything with the Duke in it is good.

"Tuskegee Airmen"... all the FW-190s are Texans LOL. Good P-51 sequences.

"Empire of the Sun"... It's actually, IMHO, an OK movie... whatever you may have against it, the P-51 strafing sequences make it all worth while.

Now for some other movies... not aviation... but hey...

"The Lost Battalion"... World War I flick... GOOOOOD movie!

"U-571"... I dare say that it's better than "Das Boot"!

"1941"... Why they let this guy fly a P-40 is beyond me... but I love seein' that P-40 fly!

As a heads-up, there's a documentary coming out soon on The Gathering Of Mustangs and Legends. If you weren't there last year for the show, get this video!

And then there's ALWAYS youtube...

And don't forget the foreign movies "Yamato" and "Der Untergang"!

casey jones
October 11th, 2008, 08:48
Do'nt forget "I Wanted Wings" 1941, one of the best I saw with Ray Milland, William Holden. Rumor is the master was destroyed in a fire, I taped it in 1991 from AMC.

Casey

aeromed202
October 11th, 2008, 09:03
Hey all.

You hit a lot of good'uns. Now I want to find them to watch. How about...

Strategic Air Command

Patton

Flags of Our Fathers

Letters from Iwo Jima

Saving Private Ryan

Midway

The Train

Hern07
October 11th, 2008, 18:05
I can't leave it alone, it's playing into two of my obsessions: WWII airplanes and old movies. Did anybody mention Task Force with Gary Cooper? One of the supporting actors, Wayne Morris, was a real navy pilot in the Pacific and was credited with 7 victories. Another great film was A Bridge Too Far. The scenes of the C-47's taking off and the parachute drop were fantastic. But you really need to see them in a theater to get the full effect. Purple Heart is a tear jerker, but worth see if just for the scene of the Japanese officers doing a Banzai war dance in the courtroom. And finally Memphis Belle, not the movie, but the WWII documentary by William Wellman.

PJMack
October 11th, 2008, 21:18
Command Decision
Divebomber
One Of Our Aircraft Is Missing
Combat America
Pearl Harbor
Battle of Britain
Mosquito Squadron
633 Squadron
Reach fop the Sky
Flying Tigers
Thirty Seconds over Tokyo
Target Unknown
Blue Max,
Flyboys
Dark Blue World
Map of the Human Heart
Captain of the Clouds
Catch 22

Target for Tonight
Coastal Command
Ferry Pilot
Empire of the Sun
The Lost Battalion
I Wanted Wings

Strategic Air Command

Patton

Flags of Our Fathers

Letters from Iwo Jima

Saving Private Ryan

Midway

The Train
Task Force

Thanks

PJMack

Ravenna
October 12th, 2008, 00:44
Gotta admit, "Dark Blue World" worked for me on all levels.

Collin
October 13th, 2008, 03:20
Enemy at the Gates.
Rengo kantai shirei chôkan: Yamamoto Isoroku.
Sink the Bismarck.
Battle of the River Plate
Cross of Iron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_film

While not a movie as such this is now available
http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk/film/33724/Fleet_Air_Arm_At_War_And_Peace_1943-1959_(IWM_Official_Collection)/

regards Collin:ernae:

Piglet
October 15th, 2008, 19:04
Kelly's Heros!
Sahara (origional) Heard the remake is not too bad.
There is an Iranian movie called "Attack H3" or something like that.
About an Iranian attack flight that hit an important Iraq airbase all the way across the country from the border.
Gotta track that one down...
And the docu-film "Thunderbolt! is a must-have.:wavey:

hmd111
October 15th, 2008, 21:12
God is my co-pilot........a b&w movie from 1945 based on the book.

PJMack
October 15th, 2008, 21:14
Piece of Cale ...its an eight part series about the Spit in France and then England. Nice pix of aircraft and a melodrama about life in the Spit squadron.

PJ

PJMack
October 15th, 2008, 22:18
Sorry...Piece of Cake

bearcat241
October 16th, 2008, 07:04
A Bridge Too Far
Sands of Iwo Jima
The Longest Day
Saving Private Ryan
Hell Is for Heroes
In Harm's Way
Bridge At Remagen
Band Of Brothers
The Dirty Dozen
Where Eagles Dare
Objective Burma!
The Story of G.I. Joe
Fighter Command
60 Seconds to Tokyo
Command Decision

And lets not forget Pearl Harbor -- i know that sappy love story-line sucked, but the special FX and combat scenes rocked!

bearcat241
October 16th, 2008, 08:50
More classics:

Force 10 from Navarone
The Guns of Navarone
Attack Force Z
Hart's War
Windtalkers -- a precious fav featuring code-talking Navaho Indians as the unsung heroes of the Okinawa land assault
Big Red One
Thin Red Line
The Battle of the Bulge

Hern07
October 16th, 2008, 09:56
Sorry...Piece of Cake

Saw that one a while back on PBS...Great Movie. I even went out and bought the book. Only one thing wrong and it was minor, but it really irritated me. No radio call letters on the AC sides. Yes, I do have a bit of the obsessive-compulsive about me.

Corsair Freak
October 16th, 2008, 10:07
Don't forget "Saints and Soldiers" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373283/

CF

Dirtman
October 16th, 2008, 16:22
It kinda looks like the list has gotten away from just the aircraft movies so I'll add my favorite WW2 flick .....

The Devil's Brigade :applause::applause::applause:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062886/

bearcat241
October 16th, 2008, 16:26
It kinda looks like the list has gotten away from just the aircraft movies .....

Oops...you're right, sorry about my part in that :d

thedude247
October 22nd, 2008, 06:08
You forgot the best WW2 airplane movie of all time: Pearl Harbor :costumes:

OBIO

Pearl Harbour is quite possibly the worst war movie ever made, the story was wrong, they left alot of critical historical facts were left out, and they used the wrong P-40 (big mistake).

And on a more personal not, a P-40 can not climb with a Zero, no flashy visual effects can make that look good. Any amateur WWII historian can tell the difference.

Hern07
October 22nd, 2008, 08:25
Actually, the worst of all has to be Eagle Squadron, produced during the war. The only scene I remember is a German pilot dropping a little kitten (in a parachute) over a RAF base. I believe one of the Eagles always flew with it in the cockpit and he was shot down. The cat survived. I remember watching that cat descending in it's own little parachute. The original Eagle Squadron pilots attended the premier and, thoroughly embarrassed, snuck out the back door before the movie was even half over. I am not making this up.:applause:

bearcat241
October 22nd, 2008, 11:08
Pearl Harbour is quite possibly the worst war movie ever made, the story was wrong, they left alot of critical historical facts were left out, and they used the wrong P-40 (big mistake).

And on a more personal not, a P-40 can not climb with a Zero, no flashy visual effects can make that look good. Any amateur WWII historian can tell the difference.

If you approach them all objectively, similar flaws - if not worse - can be found in EVERYTHING mention so far. :icon_lol:

thedude247
October 24th, 2008, 17:22
Small flaws, say in the story or technicalities in war can be easilly overlooked by alot of people, (not to be rude or anything) it's a common mistake for most people, but when you leave out entire circumstances in the story, it really pisses me off. This is were movie producers and directors need to do there homework first.

Lets once again take Pearl Harbour for example, now there's not all that much wrong or to incorrect the main attack scenes, not that I won't get to that, maybe another time, anyway where was I. Oh the ****ty movie, the biggest flaw of that movie, besides the Battle of Britian scenes (I'll get to that later), was the Doolittle Raid. They let out way too much, from the encounter with the carrier Enterprise, to the few planes that ended up in Russian territory and became POW's, (at that time Russia was a neutral country) the Jap ship that actually found the Hornet was a fishing boat.

Now, the Battle of Britian scenes were the first disappointment of the movie, the American pilots that flew for the RAF actually were inlisted as RAF pilots, they wore the same uniform and everything. I appreciate the fact that the snuck a Hawker Hurricane or two in there, but they completely screwed up the Spitfire's and Bf-109's, they had all but the right spits in that ones, Mk. IX's, V's, XIV's, all the Commonwealth had during the Battle of Britian was Mk. I's and II's. I didn't see even one Emil when is comes to the Axis Fighters, I saw Gustav's, Friedrich's, and Kurfürst's, no Emil's.

So, your eyes glaze over yet. :icon_lol:

thedude247
October 24th, 2008, 17:44
Anyway, heres my favorite movie list. The WWII ones anyway.

Saving Private Ryan
Letters From Iwo Jima
Midway
The Thin Red Line
Battle of Britain
Battle of the Bulge
Flags of Our Fathers
Enemy at the Gates
Band of Brothers
Great Raid
U-571
Tora! Tora! Tora! (much better than Pearl Harbour)
A Bridge Too Far
Memphis Belle
The Tuskegee Airmen
Hart's War (sort of)
Windtalkers
Ike: Countdown to D-Day (story more so than action)

Anyone seen Miracle at St. Anna or Passchendaele for that matter, like to see them both, especially Passchendaele.