PDA

View Full Version : Developers! Who are you?

FlyingsCool
February 18th, 2019, 00:06
I've got a bit of a bone to pick.....

Please put some sort of identifier who you are in your readme files...

I download all kinds of stuff, as soon as I hit download, it's highly unlikely I'll remember who you are, or where I happened to find the file.
I read all kinds of readme files and in a lot of them is "I" this and "I" that, but not a clue who you are. Please don't forget to sign your files; something, so I can figure out who you are, and perhaps thank you.

No worries, I'm not going to pester you for support or complain to you how awful it is you put all those hours into your work, but man, that shade of green you used for the grass, it's just not quite right.

In fact, I'll do it now, thank you for the contributing to my addiction :)

Off my soapbox

jeansy
February 18th, 2019, 00:55
Not sure what the rant is

Normally the uploader is the author of the download unless its been uploaded by a 3rd party where the credit will be given to in the description or readme

zswobbie1
February 18th, 2019, 01:09
I agree, often there is no name of the developer in the Readme or instructions, it would be nice to know the name/s of the developer.
There sometimes is a contact mail address listed, not always.

Bruce66
February 18th, 2019, 04:13
I have to agree as well. I download when I spot something interesting but sometimes I don't get chance to install it for some time. Then I like it and want to thank them or credit them but there is nothing in the readme. Usually I can retrace my steps and find the original download but not always.

But I will add a BIG THANK YOU to people who make all the great stuff and share it with all of us!

Mick
February 18th, 2019, 05:26
Well, I'm not an FSX guy, but I've been guilty of that.

I release my stuff at SOH exclusively, so everyone who downloads it can see my name and avatar right there on the download page when they grab their copy.

Sometimes I don't put my name in the ReadMe file because I just forget.

I don't care about credit. This is freeware. If someone steals it or re-releases it or copies from it, so what? It costs me nothing; there's no loss. And I'll bet there are very few folks like you who care where the stuff they download comes from. I don't go so far as to say that my stuff is in the public domain, but it might as well be, since there's no copyright enforcement for freeware. Legally there could be, but in practice there isn't.

Once someone re-uploaded one of my skin packs that they said they forgot where they got it and who painted it, which provided a chuckle but not a problem. I just went into the library and deleted the original upload so's not to clutter the server with a duplicate file. Recollection of that helps me to remember to put my name into my uploads, but I still forget sometimes.

I don't put in an e-mail because this is a knowledgeable group and anyone who's downloading skins, for example, knows how to install a skin and make the edits to the aircraft.cfg file. I share my stuff so that those who share with the rest of us can grab a copy if they want one, and they don't need instructions. I really don't care about the non-contributing general population.

On the projects I work on with others, like David, who likes to release on FlightSim as well as here, we put in installation instructions and a support e-mail. I think FlightSim requires that stuff, and even if they don't, they attract a general audience, some of whom need instructions and support.

Anyway, I appreciate your interest and I do try to remember to put my name in the ReadMe, but sometimes I still forget. When I forget, you'll still see my name and avatar on the download page at SOH, and when David and I put something on FlightSim, David helps me remember to put the information in the ReadMe.

Dev One
February 18th, 2019, 06:51
I thought I was guilty of this omission, but no, looking back into 2017 & 2018 my name is at the bottom of the Readme, but I do not publish a contact address, but all of my uploads, even the re-uploads that were initially published in the now defunct Britsim, are available at FlightSim, so its a good place to start! And one can of course do a search using the model name which should then get you to the FlightSim library which does publish the creators name - its obligatory to enter ones name before FlightSim will publish.
Once you have that then a Private Message or a forum thread can send your appropriate message.
Keith

T Square
February 18th, 2019, 07:17
Scenery is a perfect example. I keep a list of all the AFCADS I add by code, name, and author. I hate it when you open a zip and the only thing there is a AFCAD file. I am by no means a Developer, but as a user "You did the work, be proud to put your name on it".:encouragement:

FlyingsCool
February 18th, 2019, 10:16
I thought I was guilty of this omission, but no, looking back into 2017 & 2018 my name is at the bottom of the Readme, but I do not publish a contact address, but all of my uploads, even the re-uploads that were initially published in the now defunct Britsim, are available at FlightSim, so its a good place to start! And one can of course do a search using the model name which should then get you to the FlightSim library which does publish the creators name - its obligatory to enter ones name before FlightSim will publish.
Once you have that then a Private Message or a forum thread can send your appropriate message.
Keith

I totally understand not putting contact information, especially in this day and age. But if there is at least a name, I'd put in the effort to find you if I wanted to include an object you made in a scenery I'm making.

Again, I was being a little silly, but, really, I like to know who makes the stuff I use.

hairyspin
February 18th, 2019, 22:21
Sometimes people prefer to remain anonymous. That’s their choice too, once you’ve forgotten where you downloaded their work.

Bjoern
February 19th, 2019, 09:08
No e-mail address in my files because I don't want to be bothered with support requests.

FlyingsCool
February 19th, 2019, 18:41
Nope, not looking for an email address, just a hint at who you are. And, no, I'd never think of asking for support, anyway. But, no, as I've said, I'm not looking for an email address.

So, if you've created an object, but there's no way to know who you are, is it ok to use that object and just say that I didn't create it and thank the originator of the object?

Anyway, I think I made my point. Don't want to make that big a deal out of it.

Stratobat
February 19th, 2019, 19:33
Hey FlyingsCool,

And, no, I'd never think of asking for support, anyway.

There's nothing wrong with asking a developer for support with regards to something they've put out in to the world :encouragement:

Regards,
Stratobat

Stratobat
February 19th, 2019, 21:49
Hi Guys,

Something else to consider, that a lot of people perhaps do not take in to account, is that when you upload your work to the website you're effectively creating a portfolio for yourself and should you ever find yourself in need of a job, what you do on here could help you get a job out there in the real world.

Regards,
Stratobat

Bjoern
February 20th, 2019, 11:46
So, if you've created an object, but there's no way to know who you are, is it ok to use that object and just say that I didn't create it and thank the originator of the object?

If the licensing permits or at least doesn't prohibit redistribution, yes.

Heck, I've credited forum login names more than once in readmes and never received angry messages about it.

Something else to consider, that a lot of people perhaps do not take in to account, is that when you upload your work to the website you're effectively creating a portfolio for yourself and should you ever find yourself in need of a job, what you do on here could help you get a job out there in the real world.

Heh. My production output in this hobby never got me a real job. The skills and knowledge aquired during development of said output, however...

huub vink
February 21st, 2019, 04:22
When you are uploading to Flightsim and Avsim, you are more or less obliged to put your personal name in the readme and e-mail address in the readme file.

From the Flightsim.com Flight Simulator Developer's Release Tips: "Don't forget to include your real name and email address".

From the Avsim upload instructions: .................containing installation instructions, your email address and/or a link to your active support forum in order to provide technical support to all who download your file........."

Which was a reason for me to limit uploading my repaints to these sites. The fact my e-mail address was in the readme resulted in a fair amount of requests for repaints for models I even not use or own. And often people were quite hard to convince I couldn't do the repaints for model I don't have..............

And about ownership: I personally don't think you have any control over things you have made available via the web. So you either upload and accept people do anything they want with it, or just don't share things.........

Cheers,
Huub

Bjoern
February 21st, 2019, 07:25
The last time I've uploaded to Flightsim, my file got accepted without an e-mail address in the readme, while Avsim's library manager emailed me and asked me to include it. I declined and therefor, said file never made it to Avsim.

MrZippy
February 21st, 2019, 07:44
I hear where you guys are coming from about including your names and emails. I wonder if they think that developers would have a separate email for their development work, keeping their private emails protected? Too bad they don't allow contact by PM only in the README.

Stratobat
February 23rd, 2019, 00:20
Hi Bjoern,

Heh. My production output in this hobby never got me a real job. The skills and knowledge aquired during development of said output, however...

That is more or less what I was trying to say but when you factor in the amount of time and effort that can go in to developing an add-on, I do not necessarily see anything wrong with adding the end product to one's portfolio - Especially if the add-on ends up winning an award or being featured in a magazine because it ultimately speaks to one's capabilities and achievements.

Regards,
Stratobat