PDA

View Full Version : New Graphics card preformance

idancesafetydance
February 20th, 2009, 12:25
Hi all. I have a 2.5GHZ dual core AMD athon processor (I have a compaq presario desktop) And I will soon be getting the BFG Nvidia 9800 GTX OC+ graphics card. I know that this is a very good card. I was just wondering... how would FSX would preform with a 2.5 GHz dual core and a Badass graphics card like this. I'm not expecting maxed out, so don't butter me up with sympathy. XD thanks

__Chuck___

Wulf190
February 20th, 2009, 12:32
You will be able to turn up the eyecandy more with out such a huge performance hit, but don't expect your frame rate to jump much. FS is really CPU bound for that.

CPU= higher frame rate
GPU= better eye candy
RAM= better performance (frame rate) stability.

Kiwikat
February 20th, 2009, 12:33
It'll perform quite well at mid to high settings. I know a lot of people with the 9800GTX+. The bottleneck is going to be your processor or ram.

Ooh another Wisconsinite. Woohooo:woot: Not many of us on SOH.

SolarEagle
February 20th, 2009, 12:40
That card will allow you to run 8xS supersample AA, so if you are not currently using supersampling that will make for a nice improvement.

Since FSX is mostly CPU bound you're not likely to see your framerate change with the new card, unless your old one was seriously weak and you were in fact experiencing a GPU bottleneck.

harleyman
February 20th, 2009, 12:46
Should do nicely..But as stated before,its your CPU gonna hold you back more than anything..But it will look nice...

There are a bunch of tips at the top of our forums here for CPU bound rigs,to help reduce some of the overhead on it...

Just make sure you have a PCI-E slot if thats the type card you are getting and you have enough PSU to run it ...:applause:

djscoo
February 20th, 2009, 13:07
I've actually got a 9800 GTX+ and it's a good 10.5-11 inches (rough estimate peeking through the side window...I'm too lazy to open her up today.) so make sure you have enough room. Mine (by BFG Tech) takes two 6-pin pci-e power connectors (this is in addition to the main PCI-express slot on the Motherboard, if that makes sense), I dont know if this is true for all 9800-family cards but you should make sure you've got the power you'll need available. Good Luck!

idancesafetydance
February 20th, 2009, 16:44
oh yeah, btw I have 3 gigs of ram.

harleyman
February 20th, 2009, 18:40
I you are using XP that is fine...If you got Vista you could use 1 more gig... But I have booted Vista and run it for testing on 1 gig.. But its not enough for gaming (1 gig) :wavey:

datter
February 21st, 2009, 04:45
That card will allow you to run 8xS supersample AA, so if you are not currently using supersampling that will make for a nice improvement.

Supersampling alone would make that card worthwhile. I'm running dual 8800GT's myself (yes I know bout SLI and FSX) and have played with my AA settings countless times trying to find the best looking option with the best frame rate. Frame wise I've settled on multi 4x but on a whim I tried out supersampling 8 and I really, really wish I hadn't. It looks so damned nice it's a real shame I can't get good enough frame rates using it (good enough being 25+ for me).

Let us know if this card pulls off 8xS SS nicely.

harleyman
February 21st, 2009, 04:50
Hey Datter... I had the Q6600@2.4 OCed to 3.42 and it was great for FSX a while back......

Crank it up.....:wavey:

datter
February 21st, 2009, 07:46
Hey Datter... I had the Q6600@2.4 OCed to 3.42 and it was great for FSX a while back......

Crank it up.....:wavey:
I found a local joint selling a nice cooler, still not sure I'm courageous enough to try an overclock though. that said, it comes to mind regularly.

harleyman
February 21st, 2009, 08:24
I found a local joint selling a nice cooler, still not sure I'm courageous enough to try an overclock though. that said, it comes to mind regularly.

The cooler is cheap and easy..Use Artic Silver paste and cleaner if they have it..NOT Alcohol....(to clean)

That said, I'm no OCer myself, but there is lots of info about and folks here that I'm sure would help you when the time comes.....

2.4 for FSX is a struggle at best with the stock Q6600..(it also is a very easy one to OC BTW)

SolarEagle
February 21st, 2009, 21:21
Let us know if this card pulls off 8xS SS nicely.

I always used 8xS @ 1600x1200 with my overclocked 8800GTX, as well as 16xAF, supersample transparency AA, and had the filtering optimizations to high quality. I saw no performance hit with those settings but I did not use high resolution clouds at the time, which make a difference. Even on my GTX260 I can't run 4096 non DXT5 clouds without seeing a hit using those settings. What I use is 4096 DXT5 or 2048 non DXT5.

Prior to installing REX I was using 8xSQ with my GTX260. 8xSQ is the supreme setting if you can run it. 8xS only supesamples one axis, then applies 4x multisampling, while 8xSQ supersamples both verticle and horizontal, then adds 2x multisample.